PDA

View Full Version : New Driver Reviews: Titleist, Ping Callaway

rubin
29th January 2011, 09:57 PM
Seeing as it was pissing down in Perth today, a m ate and m yself went out looking for a new driver. Happened to come across a bloke we know working at Drummond and decided to make use of their Launch monitor etc.

I hit the Titleist D3 9.5*, Callaway Razr Hawk 8.5* and Ping I15 8*, all in a tour stiff shaft. The Razr Haw and D3 both had the Alidla RIP tour level Stiff shaft, and the I15 with the standard Ping Shaft.

My average swing speed was 114mph, with he highest being 132, and the lowest 108mph. My general ball flight with my current R7 Limited is really quite high with litle to no run out.

The results:
Titleist D3 - A very, very nice driver. Gave me the most feedback, and the instant the ball touched the face i could tell where I hit it and how well i struck it. With this particular driver, I was carrying it 250m average, with a 10 - 15mtr roll out ( I think the biggest was approx 300 total). The most interesting thing with this driver was that I generated the most spin with this at almost 3000rpm. The average shot type was a slight draw (which is normal) from a square address. Ball flight was between low and mid.

Callaway Razr Hawk - A good feedback driver, and felt very solid. Had almost the same feel as larger head hybrid, and where I would normally be able to feel the 'compression' in a driver face, I didnt with this one. I got the feeling that it would do whatever I wanted it to do, unless I just attacked the ball and let rip, then it would be too unpredictable. The shortest of the 3 on carry, but the longest on roll out, carry was approx 225, roll out was about 30 metres. the ball flight was very low on this one. The lowest spin rate on this measuring on average 1900rpm.

Ping I15 - Was the nicest lookig club at address I've picked up for a while. While it generated some good feedback, it wasnt consistent and I was occasionally left wondering how well I had hit the ball. Having said that, I found I could really go for it on this club with some pretty good results. This was the longest driver of all 3, as the average carry was 260m, and roll out a further 20m. I returned an average spin rating of about 2200rpm.

I took my own driver to compare, really for my own info, but i'll post it on here anyway.

R7 TP limited 9.5* - Have been hitting this absolutely awful lately.
Distance - carry 265m, roll out 5m.
Spin Rate - 3600rpm!

I would have gone the D3 in an 8.5*, but they didnt have any in stock. Our mate suggested ordering it direct in an 8.5* with a slightly heavier shaft (from memory, all shafts were at 65).

Just thought i'd offer some thoughts on some of the current crop of drivers.

Bruce Dickinson
29th January 2011, 10:14 PM
I'm waiting for the new Cleveland driver, it looks very,very nice

Golfnut
29th January 2011, 11:20 PM
Holy crap rubin, you can really get it out there!!! Nice info there though even if it's irrelevant for a short hitting chopper like me ;)

Sounds like the Titty's the go then hey?.....sounds like it's got everything.

Yossarian
29th January 2011, 11:25 PM
Some of his pentas will not be found for some years at KB. :)

MegaWatty
29th January 2011, 11:36 PM
132mph? I think they may have their machine a little 'tuned' up! Steve Jones is one of the longest hitters on tour and has a swing speed around 128mph.

If you are getting it through that fast, then nice work, but it seems very very fast to me. Sorry for doubting you.

(I hope this doesn't cause a blue)

goonie
29th January 2011, 11:50 PM
Those swing speeds aren't matching the carry distances at all. I can carry hazards around 220-230m at my home course with my driver and my swing speed is only around 105mph from memory.

markTHEblake
30th January 2011, 12:00 AM
I would have gone the D3 in an 8.5*, but they didnt have any in stock. Our mate suggested ordering it direct in an 8.5* with a slightly heavier shaft (from memory, all shafts were at 65)

at those kind of swing speeds buying off the shelf at drummonds is like throwing money down the drain, you have little chance of getting it right. Get with someone that actually knows how to use a launch monitor and select a head and a shaft that wil suit you the best.

rubin
30th January 2011, 03:11 AM
Holy crap rubin, you can really get it out there!!! Nice info there though even if it's irrelevant for a short hitting chopper like me ;)

Sounds like the Titty's the go then hey?.....sounds like it's got everything.

The Titty was feeling the best. I want to try the Nike VR driver (maybe wait for the VR pro) before a decision is made.

Some of his pentas will not be found for some years at KB. :) :mrgreen: I would be able to suck it up if they were just too long, but the driver inconsistency is my main problem atm.

132mph? I think they may have their machine a little 'tuned' up! Steve Jones is one of the longest hitters on tour and has a swing speed around 128mph.

If you are getting it through that fast, then nice work, but it seems very very fast to me. Sorry for doubting you.

(I hope this doesn't cause a blue)

Nah no stress mate. The 132 was 2 shots in particular when i just let rip and gave it 110%. I wouldn't be able to do that on the course. I average at about 114 give or take. I never said they were accurate shots though!

Those swing speeds aren't matching the carry distances at all. I can carry hazards around 220-230m at my home course with my driver and my swing speed is only around 105mph from memory.

Bare in mind that they were computer projections, and not real life measures. In terms of actual distance, I take what the computer says with a grain of salt. I was more looking at spin rates, shot shapes and feel/feedback. I would say if the computer says 250, its probably closer to 275 in real life etc. etc.

I was mainly using it as a consistent comparison. It will give the same info in the same way for every club, and by using my current gamer (the R7) I had something that i could compare it to.

rubin
30th January 2011, 03:15 AM
at those kind of swing speeds buying off the shelf at drummonds is like throwing money down the drain, you have little chance of getting it right. Get with someone that actually knows how to use a launch monitor and select a head and a shaft that wil suit you the best.

Was never the plan. Even the guy we know suggested it would be the wrong way to do it.

TheNuclearOne
30th January 2011, 03:18 AM
I take what the computer says with a grain of salt. I was more looking at spin rates, shot shapes and feel/feedback. I would say if the computer says 250, its probably closer to 275 in real life etc. etc.

Most are set up totally the opposite.

rubin
30th January 2011, 03:24 AM
Most are set up totally the opposite.

doesnt really matter. As I mentioned before distance wasn't what I was looking at. I know that if need be, I can put one right out there.

rubin
30th January 2011, 03:45 AM
side note.... Also looking to test out the Nike VR Pro (in feb), Adams Speedline F11 and 9064LS. Im also tempted to hold out for the R11 and try that. but we'll wait and see.