PDA

View Full Version : What would be the odds?

kingslayer33
29th January 2011, 07:23 PM
Has anybody played in a round where two people in the same group have had holes-in-one? In this case on different holes.

Today my brother (pistoltas) and another guy that we regularly play with both had their first HIO. (only problem was I wasn't playing with them but working in the garden.)

Webster
29th January 2011, 07:42 PM
Was it in a comp?

kingslayer33
29th January 2011, 08:00 PM
Ha. Yes Jack. It counted.

Courty
29th January 2011, 08:16 PM
Not quite, but I have witnessed 2 HIO's on the same hole... years apart... and the two guys were brothers... and the second one was on his birthday. Actually, Chopper71 was present for the first one, also.

kingslayer33
29th January 2011, 08:32 PM
I'll bet their other brother has been wanting to play with you ever since.

Dingo
29th January 2011, 08:34 PM
No, but years ago playing in a schoolboy comp at Box Hill a kid in the group in front had at least two holes in one in the same round. I actually think it was three holes in one but it is too long ago to be sure.

Courty
29th January 2011, 08:36 PM
I'll bet their other brother has been wanting to play with you ever since.

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. One brother (Mick) had a HIO on the 11th at Half Moon Bay GC over 10 years ago. About 5 years after that, his younger brother (Davo) had one on the same hole (on his birthday). I was present for both, but neither of them witnessed each others HIOs. Does that make sense?

kingslayer33
29th January 2011, 08:42 PM
Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. One brother (Mick) had a HIO on the 11th at Half Moon Bay GC over 10 years ago. About 5 years after that, his younger brother (Davo) had one on the same hole (on his birthday). I was present for both, but neither of them witnessed each others HIOs. Does that make sense?

I get it courty. But if there even was a third brother he would clearly have recognised your presence as the common denominator and always requested a game with you.

Courty
29th January 2011, 08:45 PM
I get it courty. But if there even was a third brother he would clearly have recognised your presence as the common denominator and always requested a game with you.

Oh, yes you're right (if there was a third brother, which there isn't, but their sister won't stop calling me ;)).

razaar
29th January 2011, 08:48 PM
Joel Crew did it at Keperra on 7th July, 1999 with aces on the 4th (190 metres) and 17th (182metres) during the comp. The score card is framed in the clubhouse.

titties_all_i_see_r_balls
29th January 2011, 08:51 PM
When i was a junior an old guy i was playing with had a hole in one. Being young i was on the green way before him, so i grabbed his ball out of the hole for him so i could have a putt. If looks could kill, i would be dead.

markTHEblake
29th January 2011, 11:14 PM
Pretty sure the guiness book of records lists a hole that was halved in HIO's in a match play - happened once.

Dotty
30th January 2011, 09:25 AM
It may be an urban myth, but I've read an anecdote about a HIO, to which his partner remarked 'I can't beat that'.

'Yes you can. You get a shot on this hole' and his partner also HIO'ed for 1-a-5.

jimandr
30th January 2011, 08:52 PM
I'll go the other way with the story telling on this one.

I've been playing golf for about 40 years. Give or take a few years where I didn't play much, let's say I've played 30 rounds with other people in each of those years, so thats about 1200 rounds.

I've only ever seen ONE hole in one, which was the only HIO I have ever recorded. None of my playing partners has ever had one. Nobody in the group ahead of me, or behind me, has ever had one while I've been watching.

So I'm going to say that the odds are pretty high to be in a group with two HIO's.

So... if you have ambitions to get a hole-in-one, don't play with me.

Flowergirl
31st January 2011, 12:28 PM
I posted this fact two years ago. We had a guest day at our club - probably about 50 women playing - and there were three hole in ones. All on different holes. Pretty amazing heh!! :)

Moe Norman
31st January 2011, 12:38 PM
never had one and never seen one in the same group.

I've seen someone celebrating one when I'm on a different hole, but I've never seen one in person.

solarman
31st January 2011, 12:39 PM
I posted this fact two years ago. We had a guest day at our club - probably about 50 women playing - and there were three hole in ones. All on different holes. Pretty amazing heh!! :)

Damn, never even seen one. Heard some yells from an ajacent hole once was closest I ever got.

WBennett
31st January 2011, 12:44 PM
I've only ever seen one by a playing partner, but I've also seen a playing partner hole out for an albatross 2 at Gungahlin Lakes 13th hole....

kingslayer33
31st January 2011, 12:47 PM
I've only ever seen one by a playing partner, but I've also seen a playing partner hole out for an albatross 2 at Gungahlin Lakes 13th hole....

Did you see it from that far out too? I wouldn't have been able to see the ball go in the hole from >150m because I can't be bothered playing in my rarely used prescription glasses and would prefer to play in sunglasses,