PDA

View Full Version : The SWING of BroKar

BroKar
28th January 2011, 04:55 PM
I went had my first non clinic lesson in 13 years today with my pro Tom.

He took the following on his iphone and sent them to me so I thought I would share

Driver ------------------
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/brokar1/driver.jpg

8 iron -------------------
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/brokar1/8iron2.jpg

8 iron 2 -------------------
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/brokar1/8iron.jpg

8 iron back ---------------
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/brokar1/8iron3.jpg

I have to say getting a lesson was the best thing I could have done, it confirmed what I already thought were the key areas, next time I will take a video camera and record my swing, any feedback althought hard form the pics let me know.

Cheers

BroKar

razaar
28th January 2011, 05:20 PM
I recognize that practice area.:lol:

BroKar
28th January 2011, 05:26 PM
I figured a couple of you would, I have never used it before, I should organise myself a shag bag and some crappy balls and start going there instead of the range that i go to.

First time lesson with Tom, have only ever chatted in the pro shop when im going for a game and I have to say he knows his stuff but alot of today was seeing if I am on the right track but by the end of it my shots were pretty straight.

I also got fitted for a 910 and I have to say I loved it with the Diamana Ahina 72 in stiff, awesome driver which I will upgrade to but not enough to make me do it straight away due to $$$ but will upgrade in the next 2 months.

MegaWatty
28th January 2011, 05:33 PM
JPX800's. Nice?

BroKar
28th January 2011, 05:46 PM
Yeah the JPX800 Pro's so the forged ones, they are a beautiful feeling club.

MegaWatty
28th January 2011, 05:47 PM
I bet. And with KBS...Just like YoGo!

BroKar
28th January 2011, 05:50 PM
yeah there not the shitty 90g ones either, hated the feel of them, the proper tours.

MegaWatty
28th January 2011, 05:59 PM
I swapped the 90s out for Tours as well in my CB2s. Huge difference.

ddasey
28th January 2011, 06:11 PM
Tom is very good.

Had a lesson late last year and it did me wonders. About due for an other.

Must have missed you, I was down on the range this morning!

BroKar
28th January 2011, 06:15 PM
Yeah he explained things which is what I like, he was happy with everything I was doing, its all in my hands he said so yeah.

I mentioned to him there were a few boys from Wantima on the golf forum and he said you played the comp today, how did you go?

ddasey
28th January 2011, 06:19 PM
Yeah he explained things which is what I like, he was happy with everything I was doing, its all in my hands he said so yeah.

I mentioned to him there were a few boys from Wantima on the golf forum and he said you played the comp today, how did you go?

No comp for me today. Had a spare 1hr so hit the range for a while. Saturday comp tomorrow at 7.32.

razaar
28th January 2011, 06:26 PM
The swing looks pretty functional Bro. The only comment I have is in relation to the right foot being turned out, and the length of the backswing with the 8-iron. Having the right foot turned out places a governing effect on the power of the legs and core muscles. For a feeling of freedom in the backswing, power is sacrificed in the forward swing. If the backswing gets too long with the mid-irons down there is a real danger of pulling oneself off the ball (because our body tilt is less upright) and we tend to release the club too early because slack has crept into the swing slowing the arms down.

mike
28th January 2011, 06:29 PM
Interesting the amount of shaft flex at impact. Raz, is that normal?

razaar
28th January 2011, 06:32 PM
I think it is the camera Mike.

BroKar
28th January 2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks Razaar Ill have a look at the right foot next time I play, the parts Tom were impressed with that there was very little lateral movement and the fact that it looks like I am not doing all that much but I am getting the ball out there, my main issue as to why I had the lesson is due to my bad shot mainly being a push and sometimes a fade, Tom has said and shown me that the push is hands related, not bringing my hand over early enough for release, thats not his words just my best way of explaining it, im basically keeping the club face open.

He confirmed hat some of the drills I learnt from watching an elkington vid on youtube is perfect for helping me correct this and after getting this confirmation from someone instead of presuming myself to be right I started hitting the ball really really well.

razaar
28th January 2011, 08:01 PM
My guess why you are having release issues is similar to rubin's dad's issues. The arms are too far ahead of the left shoulder in the takeaway causing club rotation to an open position at the top. The only way to get the club to rotate or corkscrew back to square at impact without hinging the wrists, is to have a pre-swing picture in your head of the left palm looking skywards past impact.

BroKar
28th January 2011, 08:18 PM
Razaar I dont know the mechanics of a swing all that well but one thing I noticed is that when I shorten my back swing by say 5-10% I dont have the release issues and dont push / slice, does that make any sense? Could the over extension in the back swing be stopping me getting back with my hands at impact?

rubin
28th January 2011, 11:39 PM
Razaar I dont know the mechanics of a swing all that well but one thing I noticed is that when I shorten my back swing by say 5-10% I dont have the release issues and dont push / slice, does that make any sense? Could the over extension in the back swing be stopping me getting back with my hands at impact?

pretty much. I used to have the same problem, and the pro I saw said to bring the shorter irons away on a steeper incline, while making a conscious effort not to go too far.

The elkington Vids are good, and i would also recommend finding some old footage of a Jack Nichlaus training video. He showed generally how far back to take each club

razaar
28th January 2011, 11:54 PM
Yep. Golfers who have trouble keeping lag in their swing seem to find the answer in a shorter backswing . The shoulder turn isn't made shorter only the arm swing. A perfect example is our Club's Cameron Smith (the No1 Junior in Australia). His arm swing with the driver is shoulder high and with the irons much less.

It stands to reason that a player with a longish swing will need to delay his wrist action longer than a player with a short tight backswing. With a short back swing you can start hitting earlier than you would with a longer back swing. I think it is worth experimenting with.

sol381
29th January 2011, 07:16 AM
Tom ceratinly knows his stuff. mate of mine had one lesson with him and transformed his game . was all about getting his hands across at impact. tom doesnt care if you swing like payne stewart or jim furyk. he works on what youve got and just uses the basics.
I hope the look of the course and toms fine tuturing has pursuaded you to stay at wantima brokar.

BroKar
29th January 2011, 10:50 AM
Yeah I am staying Sol, I definitely will for the next 6 months anyway, as I have said previously the pro shop staff have alot to do with me being there in the first place.

Just purchased some balls and a shag bag off ebay so will get my ass down the practice range a couple of times a week now.

Goal is to get to a 10 handicap this year and drop to 85kg's, on 24 now but I used to play off 12 (10 year break) and 24 is not an accurate indication of how i play, its just lets you know how i choke in comp.

sol381
29th January 2011, 01:47 PM
yeah swing doesnt look like a 24 to me.. anyway good luck with it all. catch up soon

BroKar
30th January 2011, 06:15 PM
Played the Wantima Sunday Comp today, first game after my lesson and everything came good, I dont know if I have won yet but when leaving the course I was 3 points clear on 44 points

Playing off a handicap of 24 I shot an 81.

1 Birdie
7 Pars
5 Bogies
2 Double Bogeys
1 Triple Bogey
Second shot plugged on the wall of the 18th bunker, half a metre more and it sits pin high.
1 Quad Bogey
First shot OOB, second shot water, so to get an 8 was a good recovery.

Pretty wrapped at the moment, this will be my second comp win in my last 3 games and should drop my handicap quite a bit i would say.

sol381
30th January 2011, 06:25 PM
well done mate.. 81 is a great score. yeah i always take an extra club on 18 , uphill and not much danger behind. Tom the miracle worker strikes again.

BroKar
30th January 2011, 06:29 PM
I took a 9 iron from 118 out but I choked down on it as I hit the 9 about 125 swinging easy, must have choked down a little bit too much, I didnt drive all that well again today but it was better than previous, my iron play was very sharp though.

Yeah Tom said to me I would win, seen him after first 9 and was on 25 points already

Going to work on my driver alot over the next few weeks, it used to be my strength but it is now a major weakness, If I can learn to hit it straight CONSISTENTLY I will be down in the low teens in no time.

sol381
30th January 2011, 06:45 PM
drive for show eh.. i think not , youre right if youre not driving well you got no chance.. anyway to have 118 left on 18 you must have hit a pretty decent drive . if this keeps up i might have to book a lesson with tom.

BroKar
30th January 2011, 06:48 PM
Yeah I did get hold of that one, I just found out on Golf Link that I won and my Handicap has dropped from 24 to 15.3, thats a massive drop ...lol

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4132707865

Says I shot an 86 but Golf Shot says 81, so I dont know.

razaar
30th January 2011, 08:49 PM
Nice work Bro....

BroKar
1st February 2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks mate.

Will be putting the credit towards a 910 hopefully

matty
1st February 2011, 05:28 PM
Played the Wantima Sunday Comp today, first game after my lesson and everything came good, I dont know if I have won yet but when leaving the course I was 3 points clear on 44 points

Playing off a handicap of 24 I shot an 81.

1 Birdie
7 Pars
5 Bogies
2 Double Bogeys
1 Triple Bogey
Second shot plugged on the wall of the 18th bunker, half a metre more and it sits pin high.
1 Quad Bogey
First shot OOB, second shot water, so to get an 8 was a good recovery.

Pretty wrapped at the moment, this will be my second comp win in my last 3 games and should drop my handicap quite a bit i would say.

Good stuff Brokar. :smt038 Bet you can't wait to get out there again.

BroKar
6th February 2011, 03:24 PM
Went to the practice area this morning with my son and got him to record my swing on the iphone so here it is not in still shots.

56 Degree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH62q9Gnc-k&feature=player_profilepage

5 Iron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwkr-U-QDxU&feature=player_profilepage

4 Iron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6AUH7bj6Fw&feature=player_profilepage

matty
6th February 2011, 04:42 PM
I like it, from that angle anyway. Looks balanced and smooth for the most part. I'm not a swing guru but unless you're only half hitting it you could probably do with a bit more follow through.

BroKar
31st March 2011, 11:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMJC-_McDzI&feature=autoplay&list=ULXiNRy0zrfTU&index=4&playnext=3

Went to the range today and recorded my swing, ball striking been off for a while so figured I would upload and get some thoughts.

I have got a bit of the Martinez in there but need to work on the move alot more before I put it in my swing completely as it just feels wrong at the moment

Yossarian
1st April 2011, 12:03 AM
Are you closing the clubface heaps just before takeaway??

Hogan's Bogan
1st April 2011, 12:39 AM
Are you closing the clubface heaps just before takeaway??
Definitely. No wonder it feels wrong. If Martin's teaching that, I'm back to being sceptical again.

I can see no useful or practical point to manipulating the club face that way. I don't get paid to teach golf, nor am I much more than a hacker, but I do think that small unnecessary movements, with small muscles, are a swing killer eventually.

Can't argue with where the balls going with your driver though.

TourFit
1st April 2011, 12:42 AM
Weight too far on the front foot...club closed AND delofted at address (due to weight and hands being too forward).

You're ballflight is therefore VERY low.

BroKar
1st April 2011, 12:50 AM
figured as much Tourfit, will make some changes tomorrow and upload.

Yeah guys was experimenting with something from Martins teachings in the takeaway.

razaar
1st April 2011, 06:32 AM
Definitely. No wonder it feels wrong. If Martin's teaching that, I'm back to being sceptical again.

I can see no useful or practical point to manipulating the club face that way. I don't get paid to teach golf, nor am I much more than a hacker, but I do think that small unnecessary movements, with small muscles, are a swing killer eventually.

Can't argue with where the balls going with your driver though.
The backswing is the smaller muscles (arms, chest/shoulders) pulling the big muscles into position where the process is reversed in the downswing. I guess that is the reason for some unusual backswings that blossom into perfect downswings.

Hogan's Bogan
1st April 2011, 10:42 AM
The backswing is the smaller muscles (arms, chest/shoulders) pulling the big muscles into position where the process is reversed in the downswing. I guess that is the reason for some unusual backswings that blossom into perfect downswings.

Those are big muscles. Those in the wrist and fingers aren't - and to manipulate the face that way, that's what you're using.

razaar
1st April 2011, 11:08 AM
Those are big muscles. Those in the wrist and fingers aren't - and to manipulate the face that way, that's what you're using.

If you walked on your hands or were confined to a wheel chair they may be considered big muscles, but not in terms of the golf swing.:)

BroKar
15th September 2012, 02:53 PM
I haven't updated this for some time so figured I would add a swing and get some feedback, since my abysmal golf at champs I have been working on my swing, still trying to shorten the back swing but hitting it quite well.

I bought the Gary Edwin book with Timah so been trying to add RSS fundamentals.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1XaQVUStT8s

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vyPEBuJ06Dw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r6Zih2OeCH4

BroKar
18th September 2012, 09:07 PM
Any feedback?

popper81
18th September 2012, 09:43 PM
Any feedback?

I like it mate, are you going to go full RSS?

BroKar
18th September 2012, 09:44 PM
Yeah I'm going to get some lessons but do feel Im on the right track, could be wrong though haha

popper81
18th September 2012, 09:49 PM
It looks ok to me, for someone that has just started.....You have the similar problems to most, but in saying that I would kill to be able to have my left arm over right like you do at the top though ( high left shoulder) Virge is the king of this though.

Lesson will really help, they make a world of difference.

BroKar
18th September 2012, 09:55 PM
Yeah I think so too.

I was struggling with the setup a first and felt I couldn't get into the right positions but a light bulb moment was when I reached the clips and saw what he does with the shoulder blades, how he pins them back, since doing that it has felt awesome and allows the swing to be more compact.

I could be wrong but that's how it feels haha

razaar
19th September 2012, 12:21 AM
Bro, have you tried using a posture belt? Cam showed me his about 20 months ago. It made so much sense to me that I made my own.

sol381
19th September 2012, 06:50 AM
you still at wantima bro ?

PeteyD
19th September 2012, 07:09 AM
beached as bro?

BroKar
19th September 2012, 10:32 AM
yeah still at Wantima mate

BayBum
19th September 2012, 06:08 PM
Got the Craig Parry follow through goin on,nice.

dhills2
19th September 2012, 10:42 PM
Got the Craig Parry follow through goin on,nice.

Bit harsh :)

BayBum
20th September 2012, 07:54 PM
:lol:

It was a genuine compliment !!!

He keeps his head over the ball & lets his hands release with a nice 'right forearm over left' action. That action with any player always reminds me of Parry,kind of a signature move if you will :)