PDA

View Full Version : New 5 wood or Hybrid

Dave
27th January 2011, 10:40 AM
Thinking of getting of new 5 wood or hybrid equivalent because i seem to hit my 4 iron as long as my current 5 wood.

Currently have a PGF 5wood that's nearly 10 years old, what would people suggest trying? (forgiveness is probably most important)

Daves
27th January 2011, 10:49 AM
Thinking of getting of new 5 wood or hybrid equivalent because i seem to hit my 4 iron as long as my current 5 wood.

Currently have a PGF 5wood that's nearly 10 years old, what would people suggest trying? (forgiveness is probably most important)

How much do you want to spend Dave?

Dave
27th January 2011, 10:51 AM
How much do you want to spend Dave?
150 is ideal but up to 200

Daves
27th January 2011, 11:02 AM
150 is ideal but up to 200

You will get plenty of choice for that budget, everything potentially other than a new version of the latest and greatest.

If it was me I would go Hybrid over 5 wood, simply because of the extra versatility. I love 5 woods, but find little use for them on the course. Hybrids get used all the time.

Personally I love my Cobra Pro Hybrids, but by popularity you see lots of kudos for Adam Hybrids on here.

If you decide to go the 5 wood route, the older model Taylor Made V Steels seem to be legendary.

If it was me I would get to some demo days/nights and try a few of the new clubs out to see what you like, then narrow your search from there.

If money were no object I would go for the new Titleist Fairway woods or Hybrids, the adjustability is just sensational and gives you heaps of versatility. Want a 4 wood, just decrease the loft, 6/7 wood increase the loft. Or buy a 3 wood and you have Strong 3 to 5 wood covered in one club. Same with the Hybrids.

Enjoy the search.

kar
27th January 2011, 11:06 AM
I find that I can easily choke down on a 3 wood to use it as a 5 wood and Hybrid is much more vesartile.

just
27th January 2011, 11:10 AM
Dave
Before you buy one try them out. I've never liked fairway woods, can't hit them, but like hybrids. I've always like the Adams Idea Pro's and lately the Ping G15's.

Dave
27th January 2011, 11:17 AM
will defenetly try things out, just wanted to gauge if there were certain clubs that are favoured by most people or if there's anything to defenetly stay away from

Stuartd147
27th January 2011, 11:20 AM
I recently bought a Ping G15 5 wood which I loved to hit until my neighbour gave me an old beaten up 16 deg TP Rescue Mid (2 iron hybrid). I took them out and could hit them exactly the same distance but the rescue mid was way more versatile for me for ball flight. At my course we have a lot of lowish trees, when you get under them the lies are thin and sandy and the TP rescue is great for long low punches from out of those type of lies.....so the 5 my wood got the flick...stu

simmsy
27th January 2011, 11:23 AM
i think it depends on the type of course you play and style of game you have.
i use to have a 3h in my bag but my home course has small-ish greens and the 3h usually came in a bit too hot. i have changed to a 4w and it gives me extra height and i am able to stop them on the green with ease.

so think about how you want to use it, alternatively have a 3h & 4/5wood to swap in and out as needed.

PeteyD
27th January 2011, 11:29 AM
Try an R9 4 Wood.

Dave
27th January 2011, 11:37 AM
i think it depends on the type of course you play and style of game you have.
i use to have a 3h in my bag but my home course has small-ish greens and the 3h usually came in a bit too hot. i have changed to a 4w and it gives me extra height and i am able to stop them on the green with ease.

so think about how you want to use it, alternatively have a 3h & 4/5wood to swap in and out as needed.
for the 3 courses i play on regularly i use my 5 wood when i have to shorten up off to the tee to stay in the fairway on some par 4s and try to hit it out of the fairway very ocassionaly on par 5s or long par 4s

davepuppies
27th January 2011, 01:16 PM
I have a Titleist 585H hybrid (19 degree) that i just put on ebay if interested?

Dave
27th January 2011, 01:28 PM
I have a Titleist 585H hybrid (19 degree) that i just put on ebay if interested?
want to try out as many clubs as i can before i choose one

Captain Nemo
27th January 2011, 01:29 PM
Try an R9 4 Wood.

:smt038

Liking your's Pete!

Dave
27th January 2011, 03:30 PM
have fallen for the look of the Adams Idea Tech V3, hope it hits as well as it looks

3oneday
27th January 2011, 03:32 PM
Try the Adams A7 22° if you can. They are about $100 or less mint from globalgolf on USA ebay.

tommyg
27th January 2011, 05:56 PM
I've got a 20 degree g15 hybrid for 130 posted if you want. It's got an aldila Dvs 75 stiff in it

live4golf
27th January 2011, 06:04 PM
I do not have one but I quite like most of clevelands offerings...especially the 2009 launcher and the XLS. Very forgiving and quite long. I personally like fairway woods to be forgiving, have a pretty high launch and land soft...but that is just my preference.

That said I have dropped the 5 wood from my lineup because I have gone back to a 3 iron...for now.

rubin
27th January 2011, 06:22 PM
My personal preference is to go for Hybrids.

Used to use FW exclusively and didn't buy into the Hybrids until I actually hit one. Way more forgiving, and I've found them to be a bit longer. Having said that, I dont need help getting lift on the ball.....

Dave
27th January 2011, 09:50 PM
would a 19degree hybrid be sort of the equivalent of a 4wood? (then i can drop both fairway drivers since i barely use them)

markTHEblake
27th January 2011, 10:33 PM
Some might, but i would call 19 degrees a 5 wood - but there is really no standard.

Dave
30th January 2011, 03:34 PM
got a tour special 19 degree hybrid in the end

i hit nike SQ, nike VR, one of the adams, a few cheapo ones and the tour. Nike VR was probably my favourite, but very very marginaly over the tour (hit both very consistantly). So got the tour cause it was $150 cheaper

Also learnt i have a very slow swing speed

Dave
4th February 2011, 02:06 PM
best club change i've done, ball absolutely rockets but stays really low, can just about reach a short par 5 in 2

Yossarian
4th May 2011, 07:45 PM
Bumping this one up. thinking of ditching my 19* for a 5 wood. Looking for a club that inspires a bit more confidence off the tee. I don't really use the 19* out of the kack trying to hit greens so the 5 wood could be a good fit.... Thoughts?

timah!
4th May 2011, 07:49 PM
Go for it, no point having a club in your bag that you don't want to hit.

But i'm not a fan of hybrids really, will be going a 17* 910F soon, and jack it up to 18.25*...

razaar
4th May 2011, 07:51 PM
My 5-wood is 19 degrees..can't see your reasoning.:-s

Yossarian
4th May 2011, 07:53 PM

Bit more forgivness maybe? More confidence inspiring on the tee. Trying to justify ho-ing.

Ferrins
4th May 2011, 07:58 PM
http://www.expotv.com/videos/reviews/19/177/Men27sTaylorMadeRescueMidWoodsUtility/267038

Stick with the hybrid, check out the rap from a distant relative of peter_rs.

Yossarian
4th May 2011, 08:01 PM
http://www.expotv.com/videos/reviews/19/177/Men27sTaylorMadeRescueMidWoodsUtility/267038

Stick with the hybrid, check out the rap from a distant relative of peter_rs.

:lol:

Maybe a super hybrid...8)

simmsy
4th May 2011, 08:16 PM
Yoss the F11 5 wood is brilliant and confidence inspiring.

BrisVegas
4th May 2011, 08:20 PM
Personally I love my Cobra Pro Hybrids, but by popularity you see lots of kudos for Adam Hybrids on here.

If you decide to go the 5 wood route, the older model Taylor Made V Steels seem to be legendary.

If money were no object I would go for the new Titleist Fairway woods or Hybrids, the adjustability is just sensational and gives you heaps of versatility. Want a 4 wood, just decrease the loft, 6/7 wood increase the loft. Or buy a 3 wood and you have Strong 3 to 5 wood covered in one club. Same with the Hybrids.

Enjoy the search.

You make a lot of sense daves. :lol:

Hamo84
4th May 2011, 08:20 PM
Try an R9 4 Wood.
Amen to that, after selling my 4 wood to you I have tried a lot of different hybrids and woods, strangely enough I have ended up with an R9 4 wood again!!

Cant recommend them enough

razaar
4th May 2011, 08:21 PM
Go the Krank, Yoss. http://krankgolf.com/ragewood.php

vman
4th May 2011, 08:22 PM

All things being equal, the deeper CoG of a 19 degree wood should provide slightly more forgiveness to off-centre hits and a higher ball flight than a 19 degree hybrid. The longer wood shaft may also assist in generating higher clubhead speed.

simmsy
4th May 2011, 08:25 PM
I changed from hybrid to 5 wood. Good decision for me. Better flight hitting into greens and more forgiving.

razaar
4th May 2011, 08:28 PM
All things being equal, the deeper CoG of a 19 degree wood should provide slightly more forgiveness to off-centre hits and a higher ball flight than a 19 degree hybrid. The longer wood shaft may also assist in generating higher clubhead speed.
That's the reason I love my KZG 5-wood, must be 8 years old now.

Hey Yoss, this guy has a thing for Krank clubs....some of his blogs a great reads. http://montescheinblum.wordpress.com/page/2/

Dude, Where's my Par?
4th May 2011, 08:28 PM
If Aimnhit is around he will tell you what he thinks of Hybrids, but of course that is his opinion based on his game - not ours :)

I have had a Callaway Steelhead 5 wood since new and will keep it till the day it dies, it's 12 years old and goes better than some newer ones I've tried.
I don't have a 3 wood so I use it off the tee when it needs a tight shot, I can shape it both ways but will usually hit a draw.

But in saying that, hybies certainly have a place in the bag of most golfers for their usability and control :)

rick3003
4th May 2011, 08:29 PM
I play both. My 5 wood goes a similar distance to my 21 degree hybrid but comes in much softer which is ideal for attacking par 5's.

I know several guys that can hit their higher lofted hybrids just as far as their lower lofted ones.

BrisVegas
4th May 2011, 08:32 PM
I've gone back and forth between 18/19 deg hybrids and 18/19 deg 5 woods. I can hit a 5 wood a little further and higher, but I can shape it a bit easier with a hybrid. I have more success hitting a little draw off the tee with a hybrid, but I can hit a high fade 'hero shot' into a par 5 easier with a 5 wood. Ideally I'd have both.

Yossarian
4th May 2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks guys good pondering material. I think what I am really after is a good tee club, and something I can have a lash at a par 5 if I am ever, which is rare, in range. So maybe the wood is the go.

Rick I do seem to hit my 22 almost as far as the 19 sometimes.

Hux
4th May 2011, 08:50 PM
If my Baffler Pro wasn't just so damn good I would geta 5 wood 910 to have a play with - but as Henno, Daves and BV know Baffler Pro is the shitz nitz.

vman
4th May 2011, 09:17 PM
Rick I do seem to hit my 22 almost as far as the 19 sometimes.
All golfers have a point of maximum return depending on their clubhead speed and swing. For most golfers with average swing speed, this will be at about 20* in hybrids and 17* in fairway woods. Any lower loft and the ball will not be kept in the air long enough to achieve any distance gains. Golfers with higher clubhead speeds generate more backspin which keeps lower lofted shots airborne longer.

Yossarian
4th May 2011, 09:19 PM
All golfers have a point of maximum return depending on their clubhead speed and swing. For most golfers with average swing speed, this will be at about 20* in hybrids and 17* in fairway woods. Any lower loft and the ball will not be kept in the air long enough to achieve any distance gains. Golfers with higher clubhead speeds generate more backspin which keeps lower lofted shots airborne longer.

Cheers. :)

PeteyD
5th May 2011, 07:27 AM
7 wood is the way to go.