PDA

View Full Version : 34 year old 8 marker seeks to become a PGA Pro

Jono
2nd June 2004, 03:16 PM
Just read this interesting story in June issue of Golf Magazine (one with Vijay on the cover). Page 84. Tony Filipovic, 34 year old father of 3, who has been playing golf for 4 years and has got his handicap down to 8, has quit his job (owned a painting business) in his quest to qualify for the 2005 Australasian PGA Tour school. He is working with a coach named Tony Blacker who is the teaching pro and owner of Deception Bay Driving Range in Brisbane's northern suburbs.

It sounds like he is a big hitter, driving the ball over 300 meters. His short game needs improving, by his admission:

"The short game is only just coming. I've worked pretty hard with Tony on that area over the last six months. I could knock a ball 360 meters off the tee and miss the green from 30 meters"

To give you an idea of his current practice regime:

"At the moment I get down to the range at 8:30, finish at 12:30, have some lunch and if I feel like it I'll go and hit some balls in the evening when it gets cooler. I've just got to the 400 or 500 ball stage."

His potential?

"Filipovic's best score for a social round is four under at Woodford GC ... His lowest recored score at his home course Caboolture is one over while he's recorded a best of 78 at the tough Graham Marsh designed North Lakes"

What's incredible is that he has the full support of his wife! She is one very understanding woman. :D I hope he makes it as it would make a fantastic story. 8) What do you think his chances are?

terryand
2nd June 2004, 03:39 PM
hes snoozin if he thinks he can make it :smt081

It makes me laugh at guys that are 35 to 45 and low single figure players that say with a bit more work I'm going to join the seniors tour when I turn 50 [-o<

Ha Ha what a joke :smt118

You think of the players around world in that age bracket now,seriously are they going to match it with love,VJ and Philwhen they turn 50...I don't think so :smt017

Terry.

AndyP
2nd June 2004, 04:38 PM
No chance unless he brings those scores down. Best ever 4 under. A hell of a lot of work to do. Methinks it may be a little too late.

Jarro
2nd June 2004, 04:59 PM
the deception bay driving range is about 500 meters from my house, so i go up there quite a bit.

Tony Blacker is a great guy and a really good golf pro, i've had a couple of lessons with him.... but i think he may be taking on more than he realises here :shock:

be interested to see how this guy goes :?:

goughy
2nd June 2004, 05:02 PM
I think he will find that there is a huge difference between a scratch marker and a pga pro. And there is a huge difference between an 8 marker and a scratch player.

Jono
2nd June 2004, 06:01 PM
the deception bay driving range is about 500 meters from my house, so i go up there quite a bit.

Another quote from the article:

"I use the PS 400 driver with the Fat Shaft. When I'm hitting at the range and there are people around me they all stop because it sounds like a shot gun."

Next time you hear a sound like a shot gun at the range, say hello to Tony ... :wink:

Blacker must see something in this guy to take him on. Wouldn't it be a fantastic story though if he made it ... :D

Jono
2nd June 2004, 06:22 PM
I think he will find that there is a huge difference between a scratch marker and a pga pro. And there is a huge difference between an 8 marker and a scratch player.

Yeah, I agree. I heard someone say that it's just as hard to get to 4 from 8 as it is from 16 to 8, and from 4 to 2, and 2 to 1, so on. Golf is very stressful when you get near scratch ... so I've heard. :lol:

A friend of mine got down to single figures within 2 years of taking up the game. He got down to 2 in his final year of uni, and is now taking a year off (doing part time jobs) playing lots of golf ... his handicap is back up to 4. In golf, it's not necessarily the more you put in, the more you get back.

jaster
2nd June 2004, 07:21 PM
This is a very interesting concept but I really doubt this guy will make the Pro tours. Anyone can turn pro if you have the handicap and the $$ to support yourself but not everyone makes money! My guess is he will get down to a 2 or so handicap but as said above without being a scratch golfer I doubt he can make it!

Golfgirl
2nd June 2004, 08:26 PM

Yeah, I agree. I heard someone say that it's just as hard to get to 4 from 8 as it is from 16 to 8, and from 4 to 2, and 2 to 1, so on. Golf is very stressful when you get near scratch ... so I've heard. :lol:

Yes, my sentiments exactly... having the opportunity to play golf regularly with both single figure markers and pros, I can honestly say that there is a BIG difference in their games... Matt and I have talked about this before - especially when talking to young golfers about whether to turn pro or not - and his opinion is that the difference between a 1 or 2 marker and a pro golfer is a lot more than just a couple of strokes...

Good on the guy for having a go, and good on his wife for supporting his decision, but I would be surprised if he went all the way.... (I hope he proves me wrong.) :wink:

McMw
2nd June 2004, 10:25 PM
Well...Larry Nelson took up the game at the age of 36 (is that right?) and 2 years later, got down to scratch, and did pretty well for himself I think...
Major Winner??? :wink:

markTHEblake
2nd June 2004, 10:35 PM
If he really does have the time, dedication and financial resources (may well have even been sponsored by the mag) then he has a really good chance. He might hit a brick wall somewhere if he hasnt 'got it', but you cant know where the wall is until you get there.

Eag's
3rd June 2004, 05:14 AM
He will need to spend more than half a day at the range and he will have to hit way more than 500 balls a day to make any progress.

Tony Blackar is a good coach but I don't think he is that good.
Good luck to the bloke for having a go though :wink:

Speirsy11
15th June 2004, 06:56 PM
This guys is living in a fantasy land if he thinks he's going to make it. He says he's really going to work hard and be ready for the TOUR? Yeah, well so are 2000 Scratch or Plus markers who are playing college golf in the states. But hey, if thats no good, he can play the Sr. Tour right? Well, he can work all day at golf, practice really hard and wait till he's 50......just like Jay Haas, Steve Elkington, Curtis Strange, etc all have.....This guy obviously hasn't been around golf long, cause if he did, he would keep his mouth shut, work hard on his game and hope to maybe play Pennants one year.....

By the way, this is my first post......Great site.....I'll be around....

Speirsy11

Jose
15th June 2004, 08:48 PM
Same old opinion here. If he has the resources good on him for trying. It's not impossible but pretty close.

And I totally agree the difference between a scratch or very low handicap golfer and the successful pros is huge. I remeber playing golf with my mates when we were all around 14 or 15 playin off 3-4 handicaps and thinking "wow im only 3-4 shots away from being as good as those guys on tour!" I realised I was in a fantasy land as soon as I observed Brad Faxon hitting irons and drivers on the range for the NZ Open! And he gets teased by a lot of his fellow pros (in good humour) for "skanking it round the course"!! go figure

jaster
29th August 2006, 03:18 PM
Bumpa T Bumpa

Jarro
29th August 2006, 03:56 PM
Well, i wonder how he went :roll:

AndyP
29th August 2006, 04:04 PM
Just earnt his first million on the Japanese Tour, I think.

3oneday
29th August 2006, 06:43 PM
Just earnt his first million on the Japanese Tour, I think.1,000,000JPY ??? $5.50 ???

hehe

PeteyD
29th August 2006, 07:30 PM
not quite

Ducky
29th August 2006, 09:25 PM
So whats the deal with this guy? Does anyone have any factual information?

BrisVegas
5th November 2008, 02:46 PM
bump!

I'm now a 34 year old 8 marker.... Maybe i should give it a crack! :roll:

Chris32
5th November 2008, 03:05 PM
I have a friend who has similar ambitions. Has gone from 18 to 4 in a bit over 18 months.

Still a long way to go, I think his aim is some sort of Q school next year. Probably the most driven person I have ever met, so we'll see how he goes

Eag's
5th November 2008, 03:35 PM
I have a friend who has similar ambitions. Has gone from 18 to 4 in a bit over 18 months.

Still a long way to go, I think his aim is some sort of Q school next year. Probably the most driven person I have ever met, so we'll see how he goes

18 to 4 in that time frame is very impressive but going from 4 to Tour school level are worlds apart. Good luck to him if he achieves his goal but very few make it to that level.

BrisVegas
5th November 2008, 03:45 PM
no chance dick.

Johnny Canuck
5th November 2008, 03:57 PM
Excellent book by Tom Coyne, called "Paper Tiger" documents this exact quest. He was a better golfer than this guy ever was, was a player growing up and put in an entire year dedicated to getting through Q school. He had endless lessons from top US pros, lessons from the top psychologists and never came close.

From the book, in the past 12 months I have:
hit over 75,000 range balls
spent 120 hours in sand traps
hit over 100,000 shots
hit 15,000 4 foot putts
played 5418 holes of golf
lost 38 pounds
spent 215 hours in the gym
36 hours on the trainers table
spent 43 hours one on one with the national pga teacher of the year
spent 7 days learning from a world reknowned golf psychologist
gained 34 yards off the tee
shaved 15 shots off my handicap
reduced my stroke average from 87 to 72
and spent $52,00USD I didn't have.

It's a great read, the guy was a top golfer at one point, went out to 15 and then tried to battle back.

In reality, it crushed any dreams I ever had! I don't think this guy will do it.

GC
5th November 2008, 04:01 PM
Don't you have to do like an apprenticeship to become one?

Chris32
5th November 2008, 04:58 PM
18 to 4 in that time frame is very impressive but going from 4 to Tour school level are worlds apart. Good luck to him if he achieves his goal but very few make it to that level.

Yeah, its amazing how many golf clubs have a bunch of guys that play off scratch to about 6 that on there day can turn it on and should sub par rounds, but being able to make a living from playing golf is another thing.

Does anyone know the percentage of club players that turn pro? I'd say it would be less than 0.1% off all clubs players in Australia that make it as a pro

Johnny, that book sounds interesting

PeteyD
5th November 2008, 05:21 PM
The book is supposed to be really good.

Minor_Threat
5th November 2008, 06:44 PM
Yes it is certainly tough having been there and done it myself.. It definitely isn't impossible as I don't regard myself spectacular golfer!

I still believe you need to be exceptional at 1 part of the game and good at the rest or very good at all parts of the game. For me I had an excellent short game and could get up and down from a ball washer (Dont ask me to do it anymore though.. lol)

Good luck to anyone giving it a go, you need a bit of luck, a fair bit of cash and don't let the "names" over awe you! Once you play with these guys you see they hit just as many bad shots as the rest of us, they just miss hit them in the "right" spots.

virge666
5th November 2008, 08:04 PM
There are just so many other easier ways to make a living.

If you are of around +4 at Group one course - you should be able to scratch out a living on the Pro Am tour... anything less and you just another one of the ppoor bastards out there looking for the next meal.

Mentally and physically - it is just a bitch of a way to make a living. You need money behind you and a bloody good support structure. Forget the family life, you live out of a suitcase and your car.

And unless you get some exemptions for some decent money events... and then do well in those events, you are right back to where you started.

We all know lots of blokes who were going to be good... but as I said, there are easier ways to earn a living and most pro's work that out very quickly.

jimandr
5th November 2008, 08:08 PM
After using the indisputable source of information called Google, I'm pretty sure big Tony didn't make it.

In the first eight pages of searching he didn't get a mention, except for this thread, which got a guernsey on page 2.

Minor_Threat
5th November 2008, 08:38 PM
There are just so many other easier ways to make a living.

If you are of around +4 at Group one course - you should be able to scratch out a living on the Pro Am tour... anything less and you just another one of the ppoor bastards out there looking for the next meal.

Mentally and physically - it is just a bitch of a way to make a living. You need money behind you and a bloody good support structure. Forget the family life, you live out of a suitcase and your car.

And unless you get some exemptions for some decent money events... and then do well in those events, you are right back to where you started.

We all know lots of blokes who were going to be good... but as I said, there are easier ways to earn a living and most pro's work that out very quickly.
This is exactly right and I don't think you can make a living from the pro am circuit..

If your the best on the circuit and play well all year you will be lucky to make $35 - 40K. That is just 1 player, the rest will be lucky to make over $15K.

I worked out what you said above pretty early on, it was either continue flogging myself in the belief I will crack it one day or pull up stumps and make a living the 'normal' way and enjoy family / weekends / owning a home etc..

Flowergirl
5th November 2008, 08:47 PM
What we mere mortals get to see on the tv and in magazines makes it seem such a glamorous "rock star" type life. It sounds like it's a pretty hard life.
Full marks to you though for giving it a try.:smt038 At least you won't die wondering "if only". :mrgreen:

Johnny Canuck
6th November 2008, 12:55 AM
The book is supposed to be really good.

Very enjoyable and quite funny too. I think I'll give it another read now that I've pulled it off the shelf again.

oobsadd2
6th November 2008, 08:04 AM
What about washed up tennis pros changing sides? Like Draper.
Ivan Lendal (?) didnt make it though.
Basketballers dont do much better (jordan)
I wonder what other paths have been taken.
Most successful professional sportsman (women) have been kids of wealthy parents who dont need to make any money.

BrisVegas
6th November 2008, 08:15 AM
Draper only took up golf as an adult too, which makes his achievement all th emore impressive.

oobsadd2
6th November 2008, 08:51 AM
Maybe the limiting factor for all the wannabe pro's is not technical. Its the mongrel factor, the edge or killer instinct. Its why when good players are playing well, they go low and some just cant.

razaar
9th November 2008, 07:28 PM
If Tony Blacker is his coach he is doomed from the start. Blacker considers himself a ladies man..well he did when he was at Keperra CGC...and that's where his main focus was. I just wonder who has the support of his wife!!

razaar
10th November 2008, 06:48 AM
Draper only took up golf as an adult too, which makes his achievement all th emore impressive.

What does 'took up' mean in this context i.e. first played, joined a club.....? I play occassionally with Dennis, Scott and Mark in comp and am interested in what you mean.

mike
10th November 2008, 07:42 AM
What does 'took up' mean in this context i.e. first played, joined a club.....? I play occassionally with Dennis, Scott and Mark in comp and am interested in what you mean.

Dennis , Scott and Mark Who ?

razaar
10th November 2008, 07:58 AM
Dennis , Scott and Mark Who ?

Scott Draper, Mark Draper (Scott's younger brother and his tennis coach) and Dennis Draper (father).

oobsadd2
10th November 2008, 08:04 AM
As a youngster growing up into tennis I cant imagine he spent much time playing golf. Maybe several times a year. That would not be my definition of "playing golf"
Maybe as a seasoned professional tennis pro, he looked for means of escaping tennis hence golf. That would be more my definition of taking up the game. As a professional sportsman he would have treated golf as another sport to master.

BrisVegas
10th November 2008, 08:58 AM
I was talking to a playing partner of his at the Brookwater Pro Am. All he said was he didn't play golf as a kid, ie. as compared to a lot of professional sportspeople who are good at golf and/or other sports when growing up. Take the Aussie cricket team for instance. All this guy said was that Scott didn't "take up" golf as a kid. I don't know anything more specific than that, and don't particularly care.

Seeing as you know them all, why don't you find out and let us know the facts.

razaar
10th November 2008, 09:15 AM
I was talking to a playing partner of his at the Brookwater Pro Am. All he said was he didn't play golf as a kid, ie. as compared to a lot of professional sportspeople who are good at golf and/or other sports when growing up. Take the Aussie cricket team for instance. All this guy said was that Scott didn't "take up" golf as a kid. I don't know anything more specific than that, and don't particularly care.

Seeing as you know them all, why don't you find out and let us know the facts.
That's what I thought you meant but it wasn't clear; and I will ask Scott next time I see him and ask him if its OK to post here. Most of it is on the web anyway. (don't particularly care...I've heard that somewhere before). :razz:

3oneday
10th November 2008, 09:51 AM
Was he playing off 8 at age 34 ?