PDA

View Full Version : Very Bad swing. Help

rubin
23rd January 2011, 05:19 PM
Not my swing, this is actully the old boys.

As you can see, not a lot of movement/rotation. This is mainly cause he's limited in flexibility.

Any Suggestions to start getting the right stuff going

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCr3IW2ILZw

cheers

Ferrins
23rd January 2011, 05:23 PM
Take a back swing.

rubin
23rd January 2011, 05:25 PM
I probably should have mentioned that on that shot, the ball hooked badly. about 8 forwards, and a 90* turn to the left.

MegaWatty
23rd January 2011, 05:25 PM
Wouldn't say it was that bad really.

What's he play to?

rubin
23rd January 2011, 05:28 PM
He doesn't. He's just getting back into it. 2 Hip replcaments and back probs mean he cant really turn the shoulders much.

The problem is that as I mentioned above, he hooks it badly. And thats the consistent shot type.

Ferrins
23rd January 2011, 05:30 PM
He can just play like Bobby Locke and hook everything.

razaar
23rd January 2011, 07:33 PM
rubin

Does your Dad's name have the initials K P?

Golfnut
23rd January 2011, 11:40 PM
He doesn't. He's just getting back into it. 2 Hip replcaments and back probs mean he cant really turn the shoulders much.

The problem is that as I mentioned above, he hooks it badly. And thats the consistent shot type.

Preface: I know nothing!.......

Considering all of the above, it didn't look that bad for someone getting back into it after those ops imo......tell him to keep his front foot on the ground in his back swing at least :)

rubin
24th January 2011, 12:34 PM
Preface: I know nothing!.......

Considering all of the above, it didn't look that bad for someone getting back into it after those ops imo......tell him to keep his front foot on the ground in his back swing at least :)

Yeah, I've been trying that. I've been offering him advice just about everytime we go out there, but I'm giving him advice based on what works for me. The problem with that is that I dont have any movement limitations.

I was hoping for some advice from people who have/ have helped in this sort of stiuation. Any drills, training exercises etc.

David Williams
24th January 2011, 04:17 PM
If he's hooking it just means the club face is closed at impact. Get him to start with the face open slightly at address and then feel like he's hitting the ball slightly right of the target. Both these things should help delay the club face rotation a little and help achieve a straighter ball flight.

The swings pretty good.

razaar
24th January 2011, 11:16 PM
Rubin

The old boy takes the club away in the back swing with the hands and arms and as you say with little shoulder rotation. If he keeps the right elbow near the hip then he will be separating his elbows which opens the club face . If he leaves the elbows separated into the downswing the club face will stay open. To rotate the clubface back to square at impact he has to get the elbows close to each other after impact. He is not doing this but is squaring the clubface with a flipping action where the right hand over powers the left coming into impact. Blind Freddy can see this by the position of his left elbow at the finish. I suspect that he is controlling the downswing with the right hand at the start of transition to the forward swing, or even from the start of the backswing. He has to start getting into the habit of controlling the swing with the left arm and hand from start to finish. If he opens the club early in the swing he has to close it (pointing towards the ground) into the follow through with the right forearm over the left forearm - which is the opposite to what he has done in the back swing. The feeling is one of swinging past yourself with the arms going out at the target.

rubin
25th January 2011, 12:41 PM
Rubin

The old boy takes the club away in the back swing with the hands and arms and as you say with little shoulder rotation. If he keeps the right elbow near the hip then he will be separating his elbows which opens the club face . If he leaves the elbows separated into the downswing the club face will stay open. To rotate the clubface back to square at impact he has to get the elbows close to each other after impact. He is not doing this but is squaring the clubface with a flipping action where the right hand over powers the left coming into impact. Blind Freddy can see this by the position of his left elbow at the finish. I suspect that he is controlling the downswing with the right hand at the start of transition to the forward swing, or even from the start of the backswing. He has to start getting into the habit of controlling the swing with the left arm and hand from start to finish. If he opens the club early in the swing he has to close it (pointing towards the ground) into the follow through with the right forearm over the left forearm - which is the opposite to what he has done in the back swing. The feeling is one of swinging past yourself with the arms going out at the target.

Cheers Razaar. Sort of stuff i was looking for.

hocko
26th January 2011, 12:49 AM
If he's hooking it just means the club face is closed at impact. Get him to start with the face open slightly at address and then feel like he's hitting the ball slightly right of the target. Both these things should help delay the club face rotation a little and help achieve a straighter ball flight.

The swings pretty good.
Back on deck now Willow?
Good to see.

virge666
8th February 2011, 11:08 AM
I am with Willow - the swing looks pretty good.

You need more rotation of the lower body on the downswing - ie - Clear the hips more a shitload more. (which is what Raz is saying a bit more technically)

Your build and medical issues may be a limiting factor to this though.

rubin
8th February 2011, 09:26 PM
I am with Willow - the swing looks pretty good.

You need more rotation of the lower body on the downswing - ie - Clear the hips more a shitload more. (which is what Raz is saying a bit more technically)

Your build and medical issues may be a limiting factor to this though.

cheers virge, however this isnt me. Its the old boy. I've got him doing stretches and some small iso and core work to increase movement and flexibility which seems to be working.