PDA

View Full Version : Shaft GuRu Required

Baudwalker
22nd January 2011, 07:55 PM
Wanting to know which way to head in finding suitable DRIVER shaft

Swing speed is about 90mph .. an EXSAR DS3 Stuiff feels fine .. a Fuji E360 Fit On in stiff feels like a piece of 4x4 (unsanded)

One knowledgeable OZgolfer advised me to look for a LIGHT (55g) shaft and in researching some I find a number of makers list a FIRM shaft between REG and STIFF

My old Callaway BGBB driver feels the best of the lot and it has the old UL (UltraLight) shaft listed as FIRM ... just can't stop the face from applting right hand turning spins on the ball !!!!!

SO ... where do I go .. every "R" shafted driver I 'try' feels like it has something attached to a strap of licorice and that I will end up wrapping it around my nexk and hurting myself.

This looks loike the srurge of getting old (like past retirement age) .. playing handicap is 13.5 down from 19 in 6 weeks so something is almost right ... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE .. is there a sooth sayer out there that can offer some words of wisdom that may help me on my way.

Or do I need a shrink to untangle the head instead. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

AlexMc
22nd January 2011, 08:03 PM
Why exactly does it need to be a light shaft?

davepuppies
22nd January 2011, 08:16 PM
from my experiences, getting the right bend profile can be just as important as weight in selecting a shaft.

I prefer a lighter shaft too and like to be in the 60-67 gram weigh range, however i also found i prefer the feel of a active tip, and a stiff butt section.

Spend a bit of time with a pro or club maker and see what your numbers are on a launch angle, as flex alone wont allow to to select the best shaft for you.

AP81
22nd January 2011, 08:23 PM
Not a shaft expert per se, but have tried lots of different shafts and know a fair bit.

My advice to install a reg flex shaft to a playing length of 46", then tip it in .25" increments until you are happy with it. From the looks of it, most shafts are not fitting your needs. The other option is to try a stiff "made for" shaft, which always seem a little weak to flex.

55 to 60g range seems right to me. You're just going to have to experiment a bit.

Baudwalker
22nd January 2011, 10:18 PM
Why exactly does it need to be a light shaft?

Just going on past clubs and recent advice

The lighter the club overall the better I can control it

I am in search of extra distance without losing accuracy and it seems to be in vain

I have three drivers .. the lightest goes the furthest .. the mid range stays on the short grass and the heaviest one has its moments

Maybe it is not what I want that is the question I am trying to resolve

Baudwalker
22nd January 2011, 10:20 PM
Spend a bit of time with a pro or club maker and see what your numbers are on a launch angle, as flex alone wont allow to to select the best shaft for you.

Would be nice to do that but being just north of Antarctica the range of choices is severely limited

I will have to search harder it seems if I can't find the answer here from the collective knowledge that frequesnts this place

Hux
22nd January 2011, 10:46 PM
Depends what stiff shafts you have tried. The bend profile will also affect the "feel" which as we are such subjective creatures is a major contributor to how we like things.

Ned
22nd January 2011, 10:50 PM
Lawn Bowls ?

TheTrueReview
22nd January 2011, 11:36 PM
Mate,

Be careful of the mind playing tricks on you. Based on my understanding, 90mph would equal regular flex. If you're past retirement age, chances are your swing won't be getting any faster, more likely in the other direction. Let the 'engine' of the club do the work for you.

vman
23rd January 2011, 12:55 AM
Mate,
Let the 'engine' of the club do the work for you.
The shaft is not the 'engine' of the club. Engines provide power - a golf shaft does not. A golf shaft transfers power from the golfer to the ball. In that sense, the shaft is more like the transmission or drive shaft of the club. The common misconception is that more fexible shafts provide more power due to their greater bend. This is not the case. I could go into a legthy explanation of why they don't but, at the risk of thread-jacking, I won't at this time. The longest shaft is that which provides the best launch conditions and consistent square & centred impact.

Baudwalker, much more information is required to recommend a shaft. Swing tempo, transition, wrist release are all as important as clubhead speed in determining correct shaft flex and profile. For example, a golfer with a clubhead speed of 90mph, slow tempo, smooth transition and early wrist release will likely benefit from a soft tipped reg shaft while another golfer with the same 90mph clubhead speed but quick tempo, jerky transition and late wrist release would be better off with a firm tipped stiff shaft.

Baudwalker
23rd January 2011, 07:24 AM
Lawn Bowls ?

Yes..thought of that but I was banned after the first try .....

Seems they are quite precious about OVERARM actions

NOW....get back in your box or ELSE!