PDA

View Full Version : Lefties

Carby650
18th January 2011, 03:40 PM
I'm sure that you right handed golfers are sick of hearing this and maybe it serves us lefties right (pardon the pun) for standing on the wrong side of he ball.

I have ben looking at a club to go between my 4 iron (burner plus) and 3 rescue club. Essentially it hit the 4i around 165-170 and the 3 rescue closer to 200.
I thought I'd look at something like the new burner 2.0 range and see about a 5 rescue or similar.

So the guy in golf box says sorry TM don't do these for lefties any more. You are only 8% of the golfing population was his comment. Ouch!! :evil:

Not sure what I was more disppointed about - the lack of a lefty club or the attituade of the bloke in GB.

It does appear that many manufactures are reducing the range to us lefties. I think it is a bit poor.
Anywho I will continue my search for that in between club that I am chasing.

cheers
Carby650

Daves
18th January 2011, 04:32 PM
I'm sure that you right handed golfers are sick of hearing this and maybe it serves us lefties right (pardon the pun) for standing on the wrong side of he ball.

I have ben looking at a club to go between my 4 iron (burner plus) and 3 rescue club. Essentially it hit the 4i around 165-170 and the 3 rescue closer to 200.
I thought I'd look at something like the new burner 2.0 range and see about a 5 rescue or similar.

So the guy in golf box says sorry TM don't do these for lefties any more. You are only 8% of the golfing population was his comment. Ouch!! :evil:

Not sure what I was more disppointed about - the lack of a lefty club or the attituade of the bloke in GB.

It does appear that many manufactures are reducing the range to us lefties. I think it is a bit poor.
Anywho I will continue my search for that in between club that I am chasing.

cheers
Carby650

It seems TM is still making No 3 and 4 LH Rescues, but not the other lofts. I am not a TM fan so haven't tried out too many of their clubs. I carry #2 and #3 Cobra Pro hybrids. I also have a matching #4 which I have carried at times. I prefer to carry my 4i so it sits on the sidelines most of time, and I just grip down the shaft on the #3 if I need an in between distance.

Frankly, I rarely buy any of my clubs new either, and would be looking at EBay or the big US online sellers for older model TM perhaps, or perhaps an Adams or Tour Exotic, if the other brands don't match your eye.

As a lefty, my biggest frustration is actually the lack of left hand models in the components market, I think the big brand club makers actually have a reasonable range of lefty clubs most of the time.

Carby650
18th January 2011, 07:29 PM
Maybe I am over simplifying things but surely a left handed club is just the reverse of a righty.
If so why can't they make the same clubs.. clearly they just don't need to make as many given we are only 8% of the golfing world.

Daves
18th January 2011, 07:34 PM
Maybe I am over simplifying things but surely a left handed club is just the reverse of a righty.
If so why can't they make the same clubs.. clearly they just don't need to make as many given we are only 8% of the golfing world.

Yes you are over simplifying. A left handed club is not simply a reverse of a RH. They have to make individual castes, moulds, tools etc for each club head, for each model, loft, etc., let alone for each handedness.

sms316
18th January 2011, 08:22 PM
Not that I really care too much, but I recall deep in the abyss of my memory that they are not purely reversed heads. Something to do with differences in swings. Didn't care enough to really absorb it.

You certainly don't need that many options in the first place.

solarman
18th January 2011, 08:52 PM
Oh so yours is a reversed head....nice...how does that gobdown, sorry go down. And i always thought that ridge was to stop your hand slipping off.

Carby650
18th January 2011, 09:04 PM
Yes you are over simplifying. A left handed club is not simply a reverse of a RH. They have to make individual castes, moulds, tools etc for each club head, for each model, loft, etc., let alone for each handedness.

Yep good point that #-o

cheers
Carby650

LeftyHoges
18th January 2011, 09:42 PM
Doesn't mean we shouldn't be any less pissed off about it!

Just a little more choice would be great.

Hell, even seeing one left handed set in 5 would be a great start. I don't think 8% is right amongst the golfing population, surely. At Heywood where I used to play every group would have a left hander, virtually guaranteed.

Goldy
18th January 2011, 09:44 PM
I play with 2 of you freaks every week.

LeftyHoges
18th January 2011, 10:08 PM
I play with 2 of you freaks every week.

:smt108

:evil:

:smt093

:lol:

Goldy
18th January 2011, 10:11 PM
:smt108

:evil:

:smt093

:lol:

Phew - I wasn't sure if you were angry or not until I got to the end, Hoges!

Worst part is - the only hole on the course we play that suits a right hander that slices (me), is currently being re-built and is out of play!!!!!

LeftyHoges
18th January 2011, 10:26 PM
Phew - I wasn't sure if you were angry or not until I got to the end, Hoges!

Worst part is - the only hole on the course we play that suits a right hander that slices (me), is currently being re-built and is out of play!!!!!

Have to do better than that to piss me off Goldy!

Man I'd hate that too! I play a draw so the course would be no good to me either! Time to find a new course mate! :-)

Goldy
18th January 2011, 10:31 PM
Have to do better than that to piss me off Goldy!

Man I'd hate that too! I play a draw so the course would be no good to me either! Time to find a new course mate! :-)

Champ, if you can draw the ball, then ma hat's off to ya. I get the occasional draw shot, but damned if I could tell you how I did it.

And yes, the course would not suit you either.

Carby650
18th January 2011, 10:58 PM
So guys a qustion then is any suggestions on a club to look at. I was thinking maybe TM Burner 2.0 3 iron maybe?

cheers
Carby650

Daves
18th January 2011, 11:26 PM
So guys a qustion then is any suggestions on a club to look at. I was thinking maybe TM Burner 2.0 3 iron maybe?

cheers
Carby650

I haven't tried most of the TMs as I mentioned earlier. But one thing I have noticed is that TMs are right out there in terms of loft creep i.e. their 3i is probably equivalent to a traditional 2 iron. Yep, just checked and that is the case. The Burner 2.0 3i is 19 degrees loft, 4i is 21*. My AP2 4i is only 24* loft, that is a whole club distance difference!! So your 5i is equivalent to my 4i. So the 1st question you need to ask yourself is why you are able to hit your 3 Hybrid 200m, and your 4i (sorry actually a 3i in the real world) only 165/170m?? That is a major difference imo. By way of comparison, I am not a long hitter but as a lefty I hit my 4i about 170ish, my 3 Hybrid about 185ish and my 2 hybrid 200m on average.

From there my suggestions would be if you can't improve the distance you hit your TM Burner 2.0 4i, then adding a 3i isn't going to get you anywhere worthwhile. You need to bridge the gap between your 5i (which I presume you can hit a reasonable distance) , and your 3 Hybrid which you hit reasonably well by the sound if it.

Carby650
19th January 2011, 01:48 AM
I haven't tried most of the TMs as I mentioned earlier. But one thing I have noticed is that TMs are right out there in terms of loft creep i.e. their 3i is probably equivalent to a traditional 2 iron. Yep, just checked and that is the case. The Burner 2.0 3i is 19 degrees loft, 4i is 21*. My AP2 4i is only 24* loft, that is a whole club distance difference!! So your 5i is equivalent to my 4i. So the 1st question you need to ask yourself is why you are able to hit your 3 Hybrid 200m, and your 4i (sorry actually a 3i in the real world) only 165/170m?? That is a major difference imo. By way of comparison, I am not a long hitter but as a lefty I hit my 4i about 170ish, my 3 Hybrid about 185ish and my 2 hybrid 200m on average.

From there my suggestions would be if you can't improve the distance you hit your TM Burner 2.0 4i, then adding a 3i isn't going to get you anywhere worthwhile. You need to bridge the gap between your 5i (which I presume you can hit a reasonable distance) , and your 3 Hybrid which you hit reasonably well by the sound if it.

Cheers for the feedback. I got Burner Plus irons not 2.0's. I asume though that TM would use the same lofts. I mentioned the 2.0's as I was thinking of gettting the 3 iron in the 2.0.
The 3 hybrid I have is 19 degrees. Hope that helps.
Up until recently I have kept the hybrid on my bag during comp days as I was struggling to hit it right. Then I read an article which said to hit your hybrid like you would hit a 7i and bang it all fell into place.
That is way I was also considering a 5 Hybrid as the extra loft would take 15-20 metres out of the shot and give me that 180-185 I need. BTW at my club we have a 180m par 3. I always fall 10 metres shot on this hole hence one of the reasons for this club.

cheers
Carby650

Daves
19th January 2011, 09:01 AM
Cheers for the feedback. I got Burner Plus irons not 2.0's. I asume though that TM would use the same lofts. I mentioned the 2.0's as I was thinking of gettting the 3 iron in the 2.0.
The 3 hybrid I have is 19 degrees. Hope that helps.
Up until recently I have kept the hybrid on my bag during comp days as I was struggling to hit it right. Then I read an article which said to hit your hybrid like you would hit a 7i and bang it all fell into place.
That is way I was also considering a 5 Hybrid as the extra loft would take 15-20 metres out of the shot and give me that 180-185 I need. BTW at my club we have a 180m par 3. I always fall 10 metres shot on this hole hence one of the reasons for this club.

cheers
Carby650

The Burner Plus irons are 1 degree weaker, but yes pretty much the same issue, your 4i is really a 3i. The 3 Rescue at 19* is more like a #2 hybrid ( my Cobra Pro #2 is 18 degrees, the #3 is 20*). So, if I have read you posts basically correctly your club loft progression/distances looks something like this;

Driver/3 wood??
#3 Rescue - 19* - 200m
4i Burner + - 22* - 170m
5i Burner + - 25* - ?m
6i Burner + - 28* - ?m
7i Burner + - 32* - ?m

You should be hitting your 5i around 160/165m I would think?, if not then your problem gap grows larger and it is already at least 2 clubs difference. Perhaps you can fill in the missing distances to give us a better picture.

If you can't get good distance out of your Burner + 4i (at 22* I would think you should be getting up around 175/180m min. out of it), then a Burner 2.0 3i is probably not your answer. I suspect you really need two hybrids, a #4 and a #5 depending on lofts. Consider dropping the 4i and carry 3 hybrids (assuming you have room within your 14 club limit to do so).

Which Rescue model is your current Hybrid? There are several models with Rescue in the model name? I can't find any of the models though that had any lower than #4 in LH models other than the Burner Rescue High Launch which they list as having a #5 model at 25* loft.

Carby650
19th January 2011, 11:35 AM
OK.
5i is around the 160 mark
6i is 150.
7i is 135-140
All these distances asumming I hit the ball properly.
The hybrid is 19 deg TM Burner Rescue
My Driver is a TM Tour Burner 10.5 deg. I hit that circa 230-250 depending on the day.
I have room for two more clubs in my bag as I don't carry any fairway woods.

cheers heaps for your help.
Carby650

s12raider
19th January 2011, 03:38 PM
I would learn to play RH as well.

Agree the amount of selection is limited and less so in Asia (not sure why perhaps they still cut off your hand if you pick up with the left?).

Earlier comment re Ebay and US based traders having older stock seems the way to go.

rubin
19th January 2011, 03:55 PM
Carby, your problem is that you went to a Golfbox store. They are all full of shit (as I have also recently experienced) and have no idea on what is available, what suits or what the manufacturers are doing.

If i were you, I would have a look online, ebay and US traders are good ones, or on your next trip to perth, talk to the boys at newman and Brooks. I was in there the other day, and I swear 90% of what is on the shelf is Left handed (slight exageration, but you get the drift).

Daves
20th January 2011, 10:28 AM
OK.
5i is around the 160 mark
6i is 150.
7i is 135-140
All these distances asumming I hit the ball properly.
The hybrid is 19 deg TM Burner Rescue
My Driver is a TM Tour Burner 10.5 deg. I hit that circa 230-250 depending on the day.
I have room for two more clubs in my bag as I don't carry any fairway woods.

cheers heaps for your help.
Carby650

Those distances look a bit more consistent and closer to the mark.

Best idea would be to get to a demo day or night and try a few clubs, but I guess you have limited options on that down at Bunbury. If you know what you want, then I would try eBay (US eBay has 20 times as many listings as Oz eBay!) or US online retailers like GlobalGolf, 3Balls, Rockbottom, Golfetail etc (See the online retailers thread for names and links)

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/10512-Online-Retailers

Carby650
20th January 2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks for that Daves.

I'll have a look into it.

cheers
Carby650