PDA

View Full Version : Davepuppies Blades adventure!

davepuppies
15th January 2011, 05:13 PM
I have bought a set of Titleist 690.MB blades this past week.

I bought them for a few reasons

1. They look so sweet!
2. I want improve my ball striking
3. Playing off 6 i thought i might be ready?

When i was a young fella i went from cavities to blades and this really helped my improve the quality of my strike through forcing me to concentrate on "staying down" and not swaying through impact to hit the sweetspot of the blade.

I have major pennants coming up in 3-4 weeks, i plan to use my AP2 for this season, however am not closed to the idea of using the 690s if i have high percentage quality strike rate by then.

I used them at the range today for 50 balls, and whilst the first 10 or so were a bit shabby, i found with good concentration i was able to find the sweetspot or close to it.

I will log my journy - be it long and succesfull or short and them ending up in the pro shop so i can look back and assess my improvement (or deteriation)

Did i mention they look sweet?

Specs are standard L/L/L S400 lite shafts.

I will be gaming 4-pw

Stuartd147
16th January 2011, 04:23 PM
Dave those clubs do look really nice. Just out of curiosity have you hit the 710 CB's??

davepuppies
16th January 2011, 10:04 PM
Yes mate, i had a hit of liveforgolfs with x100 shafts...... they are somewhere between the AP2 and the 690.mbs in my opinion.

I had a set of 695cbs that again were similar

davepuppies
16th January 2011, 10:11 PM
Another 50 balls today.

The acid test for me is the 4 iron (as it is the longest iron - i use a 21 degree hybrid)

i hit about 20 out of different lies, some good, some average, none terrible and was happy with about 75% of them. I found it much much easier to work the ball than with any of my previous sets.

I find if i just focus on keeping my head and body relativley still the outcome is ok......

Did i mention they look good? LOL

BrisVegas
17th January 2011, 10:47 AM
good luck.

chappy1970
17th January 2011, 11:46 AM
Dave,
You are a far better ball stricker than I and I have switched to blades the last month (MP33's) and am loving them.
I find them no less forgiving than the Titleist 735's I was using previously, in fact they seem to be easier to hit and are at least a club longer.

I did SPINE the KBS tour shafts prior to installing the Mizuno heads, not sure what sort of a difference that has made, but I find them great to hit and rarely miss one.

Chappy

davepuppies
17th January 2011, 08:28 PM
I have decided i am not hitting a high enough percentage of "acceptable shots" with the 690s, so i have put the AP2 back in the bag until i find my swing again. I have done this with pennants in mind dont want to be second guessing my irons this close to is starting.

I will keep them, and give them another go once pennants finishes

PerryGroves
17th January 2011, 08:34 PM
Dave, what clubs did you draw in the pennants, anything decent?

blurry
17th January 2011, 09:29 PM
Dave ,I have mp32's sitting in my garage , but I just cant bring myself to put them in play. Im playing with Krstianj's old callaway x tours , and hitting them pretty well. But only playing once a fortmight or so ,
I just dont need the added pressure of worrying about mishits . but like your 690's , they do look good in the bag.=P~ lol . good luck with the pennants.

davepuppies
17th January 2011, 09:38 PM
Dave, what clubs did you draw in the pennants, anything decent?

No thankfully, as we dont have the strongest team either. we are all 5/6/7 markers so we will get hosed if we play a proper squad.

we have drawn Marrickville, Northbridge and Riverside Oaks.

Riverside Oaks is a unknown quanity, not having normal memberships.

Our ACR is 2 less than par, so around our track we are shooting 3/4/5 to play to our handicaps, i think having a chance to play a course with some par 5s, we will go ok, but are really there to make up numbers.

davepuppies
17th January 2011, 09:40 PM
Dave ,I have mp32's sitting in my garage , but I just cant bring myself to put them in play. Im playing with Krstianj's old callaway x tours , and hitting them pretty well. But only playing once a fortmight or so ,
I just dont need the added pressure of worrying about mishits . but like your 690's , they do look good in the bag.=P~ lol . good luck with the pennants.

Thanks mate, i havent practiced last 2 weeks since i have been back at work, so maybe i have not given them a fair chance.

On a side note i am thinking of joining Penrith as i bought a business out there, we should hook up for a game?

Sydney Hacker
18th January 2011, 07:14 AM
No thankfully, as we dont have the strongest team either. we are all 5/6/7 markers so we will get hosed if we play a proper squad.

Our ACR is 2 less than par, so around our track we are shooting 3/4/5 to play to our handicaps, i think having a chance to play a course with some par 5s, we will go ok, but are really there to make up numbers.

I hope the greens at Marrickville have improved in the last 12 months for you, they had all sorts of creeping grass through them this time last year and were terrible to putt on.

PerryGroves
18th January 2011, 11:56 AM

I am sure it was Marrickville that had a record of never being beaten at home. I caddied for a mate who was playing for The Coast and he certainly got towelled up there.