PDA

View Full Version : Courses Topic? Read on for Paradise Palms..

Fishman Dan
30th April 2004, 04:07 PM
Perhaps a topic for Courses? Not design, just straight up course chat?

Reason being because i played Paradise Palms (Cairns) on the honeymoon - yes, left the missus by the Lagoon pool at the Outrigger Palm Cove and had a round. Not a bad course, but...

Managing the course:
Perhaps i was a little pissed after shanking my 2nd shot of the day into the woods, but they were scarifying some greens when i was playing, so still got hit with $99 green fees. Shame in timing really. But they sent me out as a single, behind another single, behind a twosome, behind a threesome (caught them in 4 holes), behind several groups of 4. After 8 holes i'd been let through a few groups, but the next lot said it was the same for numerous groups in front, so they didn't let me play through. Very boring.

Design
The other comment is about the design (yes Richard, a Marsh/Watson course) - they are actually filling in some creeks, but the old debate ran hot (in my head at least). On the 5th (?) i got let through 2 groups at the tee - so to be thankful i grabbed my hired driver and dead-set SMASHED it, slight draw. When i popped the driver back in the bag, i noticed the picture of the hole, with a creek running through it.

I would have hit this ball 250+ metres, most of it on the fly, so of course when i get up to the gulley (creek?!), no sign of my Nike. This gully was 25m wide and 15 deep, overgrown with weeds, a stream and rocks. Any well hit drive would end up there, even the longer-hitters would be punished, forcing 3-iron or 5-wood off the tee. Where's the reward for the longer hitters?

G69 tipped me off so i've wound up here. Quick note to say that i'm back after the weddin' and the honeymoon, so golf is very much on the agenda. Seems i missed something on the ISG forums? Moving on...

AndyP
30th April 2004, 04:31 PM
Welcome back Fishy. :D g69 obviously beat me to the invitation.

Thanks for the review. That talk about the creek sounds like arkitekcha to me. :wink:
I should've been in Cairns last October for a holiday, but work wouldn't let me. :(

Hope all is well in your wedded bliss.

Fishman Dan
30th April 2004, 04:52 PM
Obviously have to work my way around the new nicks.. so AndyP is...

CARN THE BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few weeks into the year and i'm a little upbeat. I'll still take any price for Carlton to finish above the Hawks this year ;)

Ok, back on topic..

AndyP
30th April 2004, 08:18 PM
CARN THE BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!!
A few weeks into the year and i'm a little upbeat. I'll still take any price for Carlton to finish above the Hawks this year ;)

I was hoping the Hawks would be above Carlton on the ladder, by the time you came back. :(
As I type, the Hawks are coming back against Richmond. I mean, come oooon, Richmond. :roll:

Anyway, back on topic.... :wink:

Fishman Dan
30th April 2004, 09:49 PM
Fishy...just look at the diagram on the tee Spaz....oh, welcome !

Bah humbug.

The diagram on the first tee (par 5) had a creek in it, but it was filled in. After my tee shot i was hoping for the same here. After my shot one of the members of the groups i played through asked his mate "Have they filled in the creek on this hole yet?" - i can answer that one.. :evil:

Besides, i didn't actually count on bashing the spots off the thing when i teed it up. With 7 or 8 onlookers i was just happy to make it go forwards.

Courty
3rd May 2004, 08:31 AM
You should have dropped me a line, Fishman. I played there 3 weeks ago. I could have given you the drum on the course layout & what's changed. :) Shame about the slow play. Unfortunately it's often the case out there. :roll:

Fishman Dan
3rd May 2004, 10:14 AM
Shame about the slow play. Unfortunately it's often the case out there. :roll:

Wasn't really the slow play that was the problem - just the bizarre practice of sending out single players. The single in front of my took off on the 7th (i think, par 3 over the water near the clubhouse), not to be seen again.

mike
7th May 2004, 08:19 PM
Ashamed to say but I've never played the Cairns region's premier course. Oh hang on I did once but that was 5 years ago before I really took this stupid game up. Shot about 150. Back nine was even worse.
As locals , we can play on a Monday for around $30 with a buggy included. ( is this right courty ? )

Fishman Dan
7th May 2004, 09:02 PM
Sounds like there are other courses around before you need to go to the resort courses. I heard a phone conversation in the Pro Shop, thought the guy said locals were $75 (AGU players $99, tourists $nfi).

I had a chat to some blokes in the Cairns Dive Centre who are mates of a mate, who are all members are the 9-hole Novotel Palm Cove, apparently has good rates.

Courty
8th May 2004, 08:07 AM
As locals , we can play on a Monday for around $30 with a buggy included. ( is this right courty ? )

It used to be $30 on a Monday, but the pricing structure has changed recently, as they have new management (The new manger, Ben, is the son of the Captain at Cairns GC). For locals, it has gone from $55 to $70 per round, and I don't know if the Monday thing still exists. :?:

I'd love to play some more rounds at The Links in Port Douglas, but at $99, I can wait... :?

wavemaker
8th May 2004, 08:10 AM
i think i saw something about twilight games on a wednesday being a dollar a hole.

Courty
8th May 2004, 08:24 AM
i think i saw something about twilight games on a wednesday being a dollar a hole.

:shock: Sounds good. Do you know what time it starts?