PDA

View Full Version : New sunnies to help me find my golf balls!!

goughy
7th June 2005, 11:14 PM
Did anyone see the story on the news tonite about the new sunnies. They cut out all light waves except for white so it's easier to find your golf ball that got lost in the rough.

Considering that I left $35 of golf balls in the brush at bribie (costing me like 10 pts I might add) I may be in the market for these.

markTHEblake
7th June 2005, 11:40 PM
I was talking to your mate at Bribie about this - sort of. there is a particular tint glasses that will benefit golfers.

This is an email I got a long time ago from a Optomotrist that plays off +3. He was working on a website specifically for golfers in respect of eye stuff. But seems not to be a goer yet.

If you google his name you might find something else, he is everywhere, not related to this though.

> From: Craig S. Steinberg, O.D., J.D.
> Sent: Tuesday, 18 December 2001 13:12 PM
> To: 'Mark Blake'
> Subject: RE: golf sunglasses
>
>
> No, the web site is no longer around.
>
> I'm working on a project now to make the "perfect" sunglass for golf.
> I'm a +3 handicap, and have tried just about everything out there. The
> optimum color is a brownish tint, which reduces blue and overall
> intensity, but selectively preserves green. It also has
> characteristics to enhance the ability to see grain (helpful for
> Bermuda greens), and a few other things. But they are still 6+ months away from production.
> They will be called GREENREADERS when they are on the market.
>
> Craig

Fishman Dan
7th June 2005, 11:57 PM
Where do you find this stuff Blakey?!

Yeah - saw that too. My biggest hate is the backs of leaves from a particular tree, they are everywhere and look like a golf ball from beyond 6'. I doubt these glasses would help here.. :evil:

goughy
8th June 2005, 06:07 AM
The ones I saw on tv seemed to make everything look blue but the ball was white as so you can see it. And I mean everything was blue.

markTHEblake
8th June 2005, 07:25 AM
Where do you find this stuff Blakey?!

Golf Forums, silly pastime actually.

amanda
8th June 2005, 08:00 AM
goughy - these have been around for a while - seen them on lots of US online golf shops and ebay.

I think someone on here bought those fashion blue tint sunnies and they worked ok.

macleod
8th June 2005, 08:45 AM
Did anyone see the story on the news tonite about the new sunnies.  They cut out all light waves except for white so it's easier to find your golf ball that got lost in the rough.

Considering that I left $35 of golf balls in the brush at bribie (costing me like 10 pts I might add) I may be in the market for these.
my rudy project's work a treat with the 'racing red' lens in, cuts down contrast heaps, makes greens so much greener, reduces the horrible ever present blue tint in the air and colors generally....browns really come up too.

always find it best to find balls with these on.

these have interchangeable lens, or which i have the yellow for bringing up lowlight conditions, great for driving, evening MTBing etc...plus stock grey which cut a lot of glare or the super noonday on whitesand ones the blue laser...excelent in high glare conditions.

haven't been wearing them as i've run out of contacts lenses and need to buy some more.

at least this way you could have them as non-proprietary and use for other stuff with the lens changes.

there's a few good base pairs on ebay currently, got mine for a steal from the US and can put you onto a lady who deals in the lens with supercheap postage to OZ

Eag's
8th June 2005, 08:58 AM
There has been adds for these sunnies in Australian golf mags for awhile now. I could of used them over the last couple of rounds :oops:

Jarro
8th June 2005, 09:21 AM
out of curiosity, what was the price on these sunnies :?:

terryand
8th June 2005, 10:47 AM
out of curiosity, what was the price on these sunnies  :?:

Less than Fiddy buck apparently 8)

Terry.

Grunt
8th June 2005, 10:56 AM
I have the Sun Dog's with a redish-grey lense, they are great for reading greens but not so good for seeing the ball in the distance. What color lense has been declared the best?

I am like Macloud and have not been wearing them due to lack of contact lenses.

andylo
8th June 2005, 11:44 AM
Where is the best place to get these sunglasses help to read green? Do they have subscript lens?

Bruce
8th June 2005, 11:51 AM
Did anyone see the story on the news tonite about the new sunnies.  They cut out all light waves except for white so it's easier to find your golf ball that got lost in the rough.

If that's how they're billing them then I would be a bit skeptical. White isn't a color/wavelength, it is a combination of all colors/wavelengths.

They might still work, but if so, it won't be for that reason.

Trung
8th June 2005, 08:59 PM
my rudy project's work a treat with the 'racing red' lens in

now we are talking the same language, check the Proshop section soon

Trung
8th June 2005, 10:27 PM
update... no need to check the proshop..

"Ruby Project" is SOLD...

Thats gotta be the first, sold to a HO without even posting an advert at the Proshop :lol:

Jarro
9th June 2005, 09:59 AM
update... no need to check the proshop..

"Ruby Project" is SOLD...

Thats gotta be the first, sold to a HO without even posting an advert at the Proshop  :lol:

:wink: 8)

McMw
9th June 2005, 10:45 AM
bought jean a pair of oakley m-frames which are apparently golf specified...

not sure what lens it is (could be vr28)...but she says its much easier to spot the ball in flight now too...

her other 2 oakleys were not golf specified, so she could tell the difference...

so not too sure if golf-specified lens is worth the $$...

andylo
9th June 2005, 12:06 PM
Okok... so any all of above these goodies have prescripted lens option? I don't wear contact lens.... I tried but I just can fit those thing into my eye :(

markTHEblake
5th August 2007, 07:05 PM
Goughy: can you get in contact with your Optometrist mate - the one I played golf with at Horton Park and Macleod, and ask him about Melanin Lenses for prescription glasses. Specifically are they available in Australia?

I cant get much sense out of the internet, it might be that this is new technology and its not widely available yet.

Basically these lenses have artificial melanin in them to protect the eyes, because as we get older we lose the melanin in our eyes leading to things like Macular Degneration which is something I am particularily concerned about (a genuine concern for white honkeys like me)