PDA

View Full Version : I need some new balls!

rubin
11th January 2011, 04:10 PM
Golf Balls.......... get your head out of the gutter.

Currently using the Nike One tour. She runs allright, has pretty decent distance and i can generate the spin when necessary, but it still feels a bit solid. I would like something that feels a little softer, with a pretty decent amount of spin. I don't really stress on getting more distance.

I know the general consensus is to go for the good ol' Pro V1's, but for as long as I've been playing, I just cant seem to bring myself to buy Titleist balls.

I've been considering Bridgestone B330S, Callaway Tour I(s), TM Penta and the Srixon Z-star. If someone has a compelling enough case for the Pro V1's, they might go on the list.

What ball do you play and why? Which one would you go for?

Captain Nemo
11th January 2011, 04:13 PM
Bridgestone B330S you can find them around for under $40 doz, great ball at that price!
Penta's are my ball of choice so far.

TheTrueReview
11th January 2011, 04:41 PM
Rubin,

I think your mind is playing tricks on you. The Nike One Tour is premium, soft, high spin ball (with very similar specs to the Bridgestone 330s). Have a look at this thread (http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/16160-2009-balls-by-the-numbers?highlight=balls) which lists comprehensive test results.

simmsy
11th January 2011, 06:55 PM
Wilson FG Tour - if you want soft these are your puppies. great spin and good distance and pretty good price. don't last as long as Zstar or cally i though.

davepuppies
11th January 2011, 07:33 PM
Nothing feels or performs like s Prov1x for me personally..... its all about feel off putter and wedge for me.....

KristianJ
11th January 2011, 07:40 PM
I've got a spare sleeve each of B330S, Z Stars and Pentas. Got any other similar balls that you might want to offer up for a sleeve trade? (eg. those Nike One Tours)

Dazza
11th January 2011, 08:09 PM
I've heard some good things recently about both the Z-Stars and the FG Tours. Z-Stars seem to be quite a durable ball, so I'm giving them a go at present.

KristianJ
11th January 2011, 08:12 PM
Oh, and I like the FG Tour as well...definitely not quite as durable as other offerings, but it does perform very well off all clubs and has good spin IMO.

davepuppies
11th January 2011, 08:18 PM
I feel the Z stars look too much like a 2 piece ball (the texture/look of the cover)

It needs to look soft to me too!!!!!

live4golf
11th January 2011, 08:22 PM
I got a dozen of the yellow Srixons and they felt like CRAP!! - still got about 10 left

Dave
11th January 2011, 08:47 PM
Z stars are the favourite ball i've used (suprising how many balls you find when you're in the bushes as much as me)

matty
11th January 2011, 09:07 PM
z star x's are my ball. As long as anything, good stop on them. A bit less spin than pro v's, which is what I prefer. I think the z star's spin more than the x's. The z star x is for a higher swing speed. They are also very durable. I cut a pro v to pieces after one round. The z star lasts several without problem. Problem is that it's a rare round around Lynwood that a ball isn't lost :?

davepuppies
11th January 2011, 09:25 PM
i agree that the Z star is more durable, i get one round out of a pro v1x and its only good for the practice bag after that. Good thing i bought lots of boxes on sale at $54!

Courty
12th January 2011, 10:22 PM
I use either Penta's or Z-Stars, whichever I can get cheapest at the time.

IanO
13th January 2011, 10:21 AM
I got a dozen of the yellow Srixons and they felt like CRAP!! - still got about 10 left

Go play at Eynesbury, they will be gone in no time :evil: bloody rough is a foot long

IanO
13th January 2011, 10:24 AM
I play either the Pro V1x or the zStar x .. depending on pricing

Goldy
13th January 2011, 10:32 AM
Go play at Eynesbury, they will be gone in no time :evil: bloody rough is a foot long

Or the Frog - best to buy cheap rocks in those joints so the tears are less when they are inevitably LOST.

rubin
13th January 2011, 12:02 PM
Have decided on the Penta's....

Still have afew hang-ups on how they'll play, but i suppose no ball is perfect. Have ordered 3 doz. so I may have some up for grabs soon!:mrgreen:

bluprint
13th January 2011, 05:20 PM
I switched from Pro-V1s to Callaway Tour iX and am now playing the Pentas, I picked up a couple of dozen at Drummond for $65 p/dozen. Since switching from Titleist I've preferred the softer feel, especially around the greens. Hope you enjoy them!

rubin
13th January 2011, 06:27 PM
I switched from Pro-V1s to Callaway Tour iX and am now playing the Pentas, I picked up a couple of dozen at Drummond for $65 p/dozen. Since switching from Titleist I've preferred the softer feel, especially around the greens. Hope you enjoy them!

I'm picking up 3 doz from golfonline.com.au for $49 a dozen. I refuse to buy from Drummond, particularly as the ppl working in their shops are F-ing stupid and dont listen

Jarro
13th January 2011, 06:31 PM
Pentas are a great ball .... very long and good feel/spin for around the greens and putting.

I like the Z-star also, probably more for its durability, but it also has a surprisingly good feel as well.

ProV1 is the benchmark though, still the best ball around IMO.

Buy yourself some good secondhand ones from brookwaterballs ...... cheap way to play a better ball ;)

supo67
14th January 2011, 12:50 PM
excellent ball . the zstar X feels pretty solid off the face , distance is good and around the greens they sit nicely. they feel pretty firm on the putterface tho, quite clicky, but over all a very very good ball to play. bit more solid than the pro V1. imo.