PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Putters - How do you rate them?

GolfBallWhackerGuy
10th January 2011, 05:00 PM
Looking at getting a Heavy Putter. I like the extra weight. Ive toyed with sticking lead tape on my putter but they fall off over time and makes the putter look fugly since theirs about 5 stuck on.

Do you think these putters are any good? Are they worth their price tag?

sms316
10th January 2011, 05:15 PM
Do you think these putters are any good? Are they worth their price tag?

No.

Look at the top 100 golfers in the world and find a common theme for the vast majority other than putting normally.

live4golf
10th January 2011, 05:21 PM
They are awesome...buy mine :)

rubin
10th January 2011, 05:23 PM
No.

Look at the top 100 golfers in the world and find a common theme for the vast majority other than putting normally.

Granted, but not everyone is a top 100 golfer. It comes down to personal choice.

I've got one, and love it. It feels more solid in the hands, more stable and i dont lose any feel.

Webster
10th January 2011, 05:23 PM
I find them too heavy.

Chris32
10th January 2011, 05:40 PM
I find them too heavy.

Just what I needed on a monday arvo Jack, gold!

Dotty
10th January 2011, 06:30 PM
Buy Morgy's Cleveland Gutcheck belly putter and cut it down to normal length. (The head shape is similar to an anser/newport and is around 370g, so it is 20-40g heavier that most OEM offerings.)

I've been using the Scotty Cameron equivalent since July and it's going well.

The only tricky bit is that you may need extra tape under the lower part of the grip, due to some shaft taper.

excelboy
10th January 2011, 07:42 PM
Had one, not a bad putter, nice under 6', long putts I stuggled with distance control somewhat.

Don't get one if you carry! Adding nearly half a kilo to your bag - that's the main reason I got rid of mine.

PeteyD
10th January 2011, 09:17 PM
They are difficult to weigh up.

Stuartd147
11th January 2011, 01:11 PM
I have just gone from heavy putters (old Ray Cook - Silver Ray and YES Victoria II with added lead tape) to a Scotty Cameron Studio 1.5 that I forgot to check the weight before I bought it. The Scotty was shipped with 10's in it and I was worried about the lightness.....to my surprise I have never putted better, I think the lighter putter is helping me with a better/smoother/squarer take away. I found the heavy putters good at longer distance but tricky under 5 foot, but the light Scotty good no matter what length...Stu

bully4
11th January 2011, 01:19 PM
Theres your answer.....put 2 putters in the bag...the Heavy for the shorter putts, and a normal one for longer putts!!!!

Daves
6th May 2013, 07:12 AM
I bought a very cheap Yes Carolyne putter last week. A centre shafted blade model I have always wanted to try. I picked it up on the weekend and it is very heavy. Some research has thrown up that they made a 400 gram long putter version (standard model was 355 grams) and this one looks like it is a conversion (non standard grip and shaft). The seller had bought it that way and just assumed it was supposed to be heavy. Swingweight is almost off the scale at around G5. I thought a heavy grip might be enough, but it looks like I will need over 100 grams of counter weighting to get the SW somewhere near normal! Anyone had any success with counter balancing putters?. I am thinking something like the Tour Loc weighting system.

tyrob
6th May 2013, 02:24 PM
You can have mine for $70 posted... I have gone onto a belly putter