PDA

View Full Version : 20XI? - dumb, dumb, dumb, Mr Nike

TheTrueReview
9th January 2011, 12:05 PM
Well, the new Nike 20XI balls are on their way. IMO they should've kept the One Tour brand going as the company's premium golf ball brand (like Titleist's Pro V1 brand). Fair enough, introduce new, improved balls but slot them into the premium brand. We've had the Black/Platinum range, One Tours & now its 20XI. Given the year specific moniker (2011), the company will be forced to change it's brand (again) next year. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

FWIW, here is a blurb from a Nike insider.

"The most unique aspect of the new 20XI is its core, which is made by injection-molding a new resin that Nike developed with DuPont. The material took four years to perfect, and Nike claims that the new core makes the 20XI 2-3 mph faster than the company's previous offerings with compression-molded rubber cores.

Because the core material is so light, Nike engineers were able to use heavier materials in the layers that surround the core, which should add durability and increase the ball's moment of inertia (MOI).

"You can think of it as a perimeter-weighted golf ball,"

""It resists spinning at impact with the driver," "But once you get the ball spinning, it stays." It also means the ball is less affected by cross winds."

The balls should leave the clubface with 100-200 rpm less spin than Nike's previous premium offerings (the ONE Tour), but will have 100-200 rpm more spin after the ball reaches the apex of its trajectory. That should mean more green-grabbing spin on approach shots."

Hux
9th January 2011, 12:45 PM
Whats in a name mate... if its a good ball it will still be a good ball. At least there is a differentiation so you aren't stuck with old stock etc.

PeteyD
9th January 2011, 01:36 PM
I would say clever more than dumb. forces stockist and users to buy the 20XII or whatever next year. Clever.

rubin
10th January 2011, 12:18 PM
I would say clever more than dumb. forces stockist and users to buy the 20XII or whatever next year. Clever.

I agree.... The boys and girls in the Nike Marketing department arn't dummies!

When will they be released? Is there a write up on them somewhere?