PDA

View Full Version : Dave's horrible swing

Dave
7th January 2011, 01:28 PM
Here's my swing, critcise away (hitting a 6 iron)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzLfsgpLSeM

Daves
7th January 2011, 03:40 PM
Have you been measured/fitted for your clubs? You seem to be having to lean over way to far to hit them, and as a result your hands are also very low. Comments on the swing I'll leave to others.

Dave
7th January 2011, 03:44 PM
not fitted, just bought them off the rack. I probably should've being 6'4, this year will get fitted properly now that i have a job am not a povo student

simonk83
7th January 2011, 04:03 PM
Is that Riverside Dave?

Dave
7th January 2011, 04:06 PM
Yeah it is

Yossarian
7th January 2011, 04:41 PM
Massive overswing, balance is an issue.

Dave
7th January 2011, 05:04 PM
Massive overswing, balance is an issue.
cheers for the feed back, i have no balance doing anything probably from being a fat ****

davepuppies
7th January 2011, 05:16 PM
my thoughts.

need to shorten backswing, use more of your body, less of your arms to hit the ball.

Dave
7th January 2011, 05:23 PM
my thoughts.

need to shorten backswing, use more of your body, less of your arms to hit the ball.
would've guest this, too many years of hockey

Yossarian
7th January 2011, 06:38 PM
My 2c as a fellow chopper. Make what feels like 1/2 or 3/4 swings. Get someone to check if you are going past the parallel.

Focus on swinging slower until you grove that and staying more balanced.

Toolish
9th January 2011, 08:24 PM
You need to work a lot on your pivot. A lot of arms, not much body. You overswing and you have no weight transfer.

Others might come in with other ideas, but feel like you are taking a half swing on the backswing and then step through with the back foot after impact. You need to get more weight on your left side through impact and cover the ball more.

Also, remember you have to hit down on the ball through impact...you don't need to hit it into the air.

Finally, hit the ****ing thing, you don't look commited at all.

dan
9th January 2011, 11:25 PM
Shades of jane crafter.....

Book yourself in for a beginner lesson.

Dave
10th January 2011, 12:20 AM
You need to work a lot on your pivot. A lot of arms, not much body. You overswing and you have no weight transfer.

Others might come in with other ideas, but feel like you are taking a half swing on the backswing and then step through with the back foot after impact. You need to get more weight on your left side through impact and cover the ball more.

Also, remember you have to hit down on the ball through impact...you don't need to hit it into the air.
Finally, hit the ****ing thing, you don't look commited at all.
was a bit knackered when this video was taken, had played a round in the heat and is quiet obvious i'm not the fittest bloke

mike
10th January 2011, 06:17 PM
Don't take this the wrong way but you need to get a few lessons. Too much wrong there to fix online.

Dave
10th January 2011, 06:39 PM
Oh Defenetly, just wanted some general tips/ things to correct until I have the money and time for lessons.

I'm sure not being so fat would help too

davepuppies
10th January 2011, 08:04 PM
Dont worry about your weight affecting your swing too much..... craig parry swings it good, and i havent trained in 18 months and have gotten very tubby but still hit it ok......

davepuppies
10th January 2011, 08:05 PM
Agree with above, you have reverse pivot....

Peter
10th January 2011, 08:40 PM
Bloody hell you're a big unit.

Don't worry about your weight affecting your golf, plenty of big blokes can play. I'd be a little worried about it affecting your health, but you didn't come here looking for people to tell you to lose weight.

Lessons are the real answer. Toolish has covered a lot of the important stuff, so all I will add is to get a LH glove!

Dave
10th January 2011, 09:17 PM
Mates don't call me big Dave ironically :P

golf is part of my fitness regime which is going alright

I don't really like gloves, only wear that one cause i tend to blister on my right thumb when i hit a whole bucket of balls

troyboy
12th January 2011, 03:50 PM
if you havent had lessons. try getting some. i spent 140 for 5 30mins lesssons at drummond. best money ive spent on my game.

Dave
8th February 2011, 04:43 PM
Newer Video, no idea if my swing has changed or not. Apologise for the skin on show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNdj1PmjzRg

timah!
8th February 2011, 05:22 PM
It looks like you baseball grip the club? Possibly also too close to the body.
Also looks like you decelerate into impact.

Dave
8th February 2011, 05:32 PM
baseball grip?
if i back up much further i feel off balanced cause i'm just about off the mat
if i swing much faster i end up just hooking it badly

timah!
8th February 2011, 05:37 PM
Sorry, maybe 'too close to the body' was the wrong description. Too low to the body might be better.
Try gripping down the club and having your hands a little higher at address..

Although I think ultimately, clinics/lessons will be worth their weight in gold.

Dave
8th February 2011, 05:42 PM
Lessons soon hopefully.

Will try that with the hands, thanks

timah!
8th February 2011, 06:41 PM
It also looks like your hands get well inside 'the line' (or another way to describe it is 'tight around your body') which will also be part of your hooking problem.

timah!
8th February 2011, 06:42 PM
PS, like the haircut!

Dave
8th February 2011, 06:50 PM
thanks, it's usually this length

gilagolf
2nd June 2011, 12:42 AM
I'll try to have a go: Coming over the top; reverse pivot and deceleration on impact.

Actually, I have same issues as well.... and these words are too technical for me, so I simply try to do three things:
1. Wider swing: make sure my takeaway doesn't 'go behind me', if there's such an illustration
2. Swing Agressively: I don't care if I mess up, I wanna thrash the ball!!!
3. And this one, lots of ppl say I'm doing it wrong, but I feel the swing in my right arm; i.e I imagine I am throwing out a piece of skipping stone with my right arm.

Now, instead of duck hooking, I miss with a slice. Hope this helps :)

virge666
3rd June 2011, 10:49 AM
You are not what we would call "being connected" . . .

Connected is having the body and arms working together and not working in whatever way they like.

try this . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AmPuzgBXEM

MegaWatty
3rd June 2011, 02:51 PM
Dave hasn't checked in since March. Hope he hasn't given up.