PDA

View Full Version : Wedge help for a newbie

Dave
6th January 2011, 08:25 PM
Pretty new to golf and one of the areas i really struggle with is when i'm very close to the green and need to hit less than a full SW, i have no confidence in myself so tend to over hit or lift my head and top it. I've been practicing but with little extra confidence or improvement

Should i be looking for a higher degree wedge or will that be a waste and i just need to keep practicing?

If a different wedge would help what would be suggest for a high handicapper (18 ) but am continually improving. i know it's mostly personal prefrence but just some suggestions :)

Any advice is much appreciated:)

dave1
6th January 2011, 09:12 PM
if your sw is around 54 -56 I dont think you need lob wedge.....yet

go and pratcice with what you have...open the face up..close the face.....off the front foot off the back foot....in an hour on the chiiping greens you can certainly discover some shots

grip down.....open the stance up...its amazing what you can do with one wedge

even consider getting a short game lesson.....I mostly get these..My swing for longer clubs wont change much but boy can I still learn around the green

TourFit
7th January 2011, 12:42 AM
Depending on what irons you have, it is critical that the pitching wedge and sand wedge lofts are known (what SW do you use). In most cases these days, a Gap wedge (50*-54*) is usually the best option for 'average' golfers.

Let us know what you have in the bag and I'll be able to give you more specific advice...until then, perhaps read this!

http://www.tourfitgolf.com.au/downloads/Matching%20wedges%20to%20your%20game.pdf (http://www.tourfitgolf.com.au/downloads/Matching%20wedges%20to%20your%20game.pdf)

Dave
7th January 2011, 12:49 AM
taylormade tour burner PW and SW

Veefore
7th January 2011, 10:23 AM
Practice.

No club will really help much. Everyone has trouble with those shots as they are just about the hardest in the game.

Good Am's that want to turn Pro probably dedicate more time to that type of shot than any other. I used to see a two time state am and national am runner up go down to the driving range after it was closed and everyone else had gone and spend an hour or two nearly every day hitting balls to a tarp that he layed out anywhere between 50m and 80m from the teeing area.

dave1
7th January 2011, 12:40 PM
100 meters in is where you score.....hit it close putting is easy

Dave
7th January 2011, 12:51 PM
did 30 minutes practice before my round today, hit them much better, still not easy putts though