PDA

View Full Version : Elbows close on backswing.

Ferrins
5th January 2011, 08:15 PM
I was watching some golf instruction the other night and something the pro said got me thinking. He was talking about keeping the elbows close together on the top of the backswing and I have quite a lot of seperation going on. My elbows are 30 cms apart at address and 52cms apart at top of backswing. I do have an old shoulder injury in my right shoulder where my AC joint tendon is not connected so maybe I have developed the seperation as a pain preventative measure. Anyone got any views on this subject and what effect will I achieve if I am able to keep them closer? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ferrins
5th January 2011, 08:32 PM
I just tried a few swings with a red rubber band that Aussie post uses. Had it sitting over the top of my arms just above the elbows and it felt OK. I think I'll take the rubberband to the range and hit some balls with it on.

Yossarian
5th January 2011, 10:51 PM
Rubber bands are useful in another type of swinging as well.

rubin
6th January 2011, 12:11 AM
I was watching some golf instruction the other night and something the pro said got me thinking. He was talking about keeping the elbows close together on the top of the backswing and I have quite a lot of seperation going on. My elbows are 30 cms apart at address and 52cms apart at top of backswing. I do have an old shoulder injury in my right shoulder where my AC joint tendon is not connected so maybe I have developed the seperation as a pain preventative measure. Anyone got any views on this subject and what effect will I achieve if I am able to keep them closer? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I can kinda see what he's saying, it looks and feels like it will stop people taking the backswing too far.

After I read your post, I did try it at the range and can honestly say, not a fan. the ball wen't ok, but not good enough to warrant a full practice session.

I'm sticking with whats comfortable.

TheTrueReview
6th January 2011, 06:50 AM
The rubber band sounds like a home made version of this.

http://golfzone.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/11/image/275x275/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/r/product_947.jpg

Watch out Ferrins. Izzo might sue you for breach of patent. :razz:

PeteyD
6th January 2011, 09:55 AM
Or maybe the Hogan estate?
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=638255

razaar
6th January 2011, 10:10 AM
Chris

How you start your backswing has a strong influence on the elbows. If the arms and hands are the primemovers, then the elbows will separate more than if the left shoulder (a one piece takeaway) initiates the action. It is more important to keep the elbows close together through impact and beyond. If they separate during the downswing the face stays open. That's why it is important for those players who take the club away with their arms/hands to get the club face pointing downswards past the ball position into the follow through. Arm and hand swings have the wrists and forearms rolling early in the backswing and usually continue the roll to an open position at the top. Therefore to square up the face at impact there has to be a similar amount of roll back to the ball.

Ferrins
6th January 2011, 10:27 AM
My left shoulder (a one piece takeaway) initiates the action. Thanks Ray, food for thought.