PDA

View Full Version : Pro Shop Forum - (admin: Rules added)

markTHEblake
6th June 2005, 09:23 PM
Suggest some posting guidelines for the Pro Shop Forum.  Off topic posts dilute the effectiveness of marketing clubs for buying and selling.

Something like:    Any Off Topic remarks in this forum may be deleted.

Or something more subtle: No Crapping on here or you get a boot up the ringhole.

3oneday
6th June 2005, 09:31 PM
A better suggestion would be a format where you actually give information about the item you are selling, without punters having to suck it out of you :wink:

I agree though, if you aint interested or don't have experience with the seller or his/her particular item, get your ass outa there.

Pete

Fishman Dan
6th June 2005, 09:41 PM
At worst, the off-topic post brings an advertisement to the top of the list, the must current thread. Isn't that exposure?

Today there were stuff all posts in the general forums, the only active thing was the Pro Shop? Maybe these Ho's should be 'encouraged' to post more in the general area of the site.

Woah - deja vu! :shock:

3oneday
6th June 2005, 09:49 PM
Today there were stuff all posts in the general forums, the only active thing was the Pro Shop? Maybe these Ho's should be 'encouraged' to post more in the general area of the site. last time you were pointing out that the 1st tee was the most active by far, why don't you make that your priority then, get the stats back up, leave us poor hos' to our own devices :twisted: :roll: God knows we don;t need your help to spend our money :P :P

Pete

Fishman Dan
6th June 2005, 10:05 PM
That was yonks ago!

[Brief pause while AP goes and does the search... :roll:]

I dare not do the 'Posts per View' ratio now. :shock:

Jarro
7th June 2005, 04:03 AM
sounds like a great idea Blakey ..... something AndyP will look at i'm sure :wink:

Fishman Dan
7th June 2005, 08:08 AM
My understanding of this is that yesterday we all had some fun in A-Lo's driver thread.

The feeling i get is that non-Ho's aren't free to post in the Pro Shop.. here's the breakdown of posts in Pete's "Potential Sale" thread - page 2;

Spiers - 1
Pete - 3 (4 if you include the attempt to get rid the off-topic posters :lol:)
Trung - 2
Jarro - 3
Tez - 1

And you Ho's are having a whinge? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

8)

3oneday
7th June 2005, 08:12 AM
What's that saying, lies, damn lies and statistics ??? Who sent it off track ?? a anti-ho with the comment "why would he want to change"... sound familiar ??? :P :P

Next ?? :wink: :roll:

Fishman Dan
7th June 2005, 08:19 AM
So based on your logic, anti-ho's are the root of all (off-topic) evil?

You guys are blind, i think you should do a search of posts in that forum for AndyLo, Jarro, and 3oneday - you might be quite surprised ;) :lol:

[AP - when are you going to get all these searches done?! Time's ticking you know! :P]

3oneday
7th June 2005, 08:31 AM
So based on your logic, anti-ho's are the root of all (off-topic) evil?no, just you :P :wink:

You guys are blind, i think you should do a search of posts in that forum for AndyLo, Jarro, and 3oneday - you might be quite surprised ;) :lol:maybe we are, ho's talking with ho's, the problem being ?? that we understand what each other is talking about ?? do you feel left out ?? it's been said several times, if you don't like a subject, don't post in it :wink:

At least we have now dragged you from the ProShop, I would hate to see your stats increasing in there :wink: :roll:

Pete

Fishman Dan
7th June 2005, 08:35 AM
if you don't like a subject, don't post in it

I haven't been, but you lot are still carrying on like pork chops.. :roll: :lol:

markTHEblake
7th June 2005, 09:36 AM
The feeling i get is that non-Ho's aren't free to post in the Pro Shop..

*Anybody* that doesnt have a valid contribution to make in that thread - might want to consider staying away. particularily if your likely to offend the seller/buyer.

Many people on this forum love the sledge - myself included. But there are times when its not appropriate, and there are other people who never/hardly sledge and deserve to be treated with respect. Instead we belittle their enthusiasm in a condescending manner.

Apart from the initial surge of memberships to this forum, there has been very few new members who have become active. Perhaps only Pete in the last 6 mths or so. I wonder why, maybe the dribble-a-thon phenonomen turns people off.

Fishman Dan
7th June 2005, 09:42 AM
I'm sure Chucky signed up after Peter_rs....

Jarro
7th June 2005, 02:42 PM
first warning G69

Fishman Dan
7th June 2005, 03:00 PM
I thought you gave him a first warning in the Nudgee thread?

It's good having a moderator who can't count past 1... :P

markTHEblake
7th June 2005, 05:38 PM
I would like to make an observation if I may. Do a check of all items up for sale in the Pro shop thread and it is quite common to see a response from a certain person/moderator  asking.."so .... what's going to replace this ?
It's a classic example of a ho  sending a thread off topic.

yeah, but big difference between that and a childish flame war between people not interested in the thing being sold.

goughy
7th June 2005, 10:03 PM
We've got 8 different forum areas for discussions to take place. Why don't we try and keep the discussions in the relevant forum 8)

AndyP
8th June 2005, 07:57 AM
We've got 8 different forum areas for discussions to take place.  Why don't we try and keep the discussions in the relevant forum  8)
But these threads don't get led off-topic intentionally (in most cases). One thing leads to another, and before you know it the original subject has been forgotten about.
A lot of the items seem to get sold on ebay in the end anyway, and the posting of these items, actually generates discussion for the forum.

I guess it is understandable that the Pro Shop gets special treatment, but what if it does go off-topic before it can be stopped. Are we going to delete all those posts, or will we have to use the split topic function and move that discussion to the relevant area? Sounds like more work.

What is considered off-topic?

"What are replacing this/these?"
"Why are you replacing this/these?"
"How did you find the club/s?"
"You are a HO."
"I think you should be concentrating on your short game, instead of selling clubs."
etc

Thoughts?

3oneday
8th June 2005, 08:13 AM
We've got 8 different forum areas for discussions to take place.  Why don't we try and keep the discussions in the relevant forum  8)
But these threads don't get led off-topic intentionally (in most cases).  One thing leads to another, and before you know it the original subject has been forgotten about.
A lot of the items seem to get sold on ebay in the end anyway, and the posting of these items, actually generates discussion for the forum.

I guess it is understandable that the Pro Shop gets special treatment, but what if it does go off-topic before it can be stopped.  Are we going to delete all those posts, or will we have to use the split topic function and move that discussion to the relevant area?  Sounds like more work.

"What are replacing this/these?"
"Why are you replacing this/these?"
"How did you find the club/s?"
"You are a HO."
"I think you should be concentrating on your short game, instead of selling clubs."
etc

Thoughts?Andy, are you asking for these thoughts from the forum, or from Goughy, the site Admin ?? PM maybe ? :wink: :roll:

Jarro
8th June 2005, 08:23 AM
i think he's asking for suggestions from the forum.

AndyP
8th June 2005, 08:40 AM
Andy, are you asking for these thoughts from the forum, or from Goughy, the site Admin ?? PM maybe ? :wink:  :roll:
Pete, it's my belief that this forum is "owned" by all of us, and it is the role of the administrators to execute the decisions that the forum makes. Of course, in some cases, we also have to make a judgement call.

The above post is just what I was thinking, as a fellow member of the forum. So to answer your question, I was asking for everyone's opinion, including yourself.

3oneday
8th June 2005, 09:36 AM
My opinion ??? some of the incessant posting is scaring away potential members, if someone buys something they get lambasted, if someone has an opinion other than a certain few, they get lambasted, if someone doesn't understand why someone would be doing a certain thing a certain way they get lambasted.

Opinions, everyone has one, it seems to me though that some think their opinion is worth more than others, and IN MY OPINION you are driving prospective members away. There really isn't a need to post on EVERY thread, surely ???

If folks want this for their own little niche in life, thats fine, just say the word, otherwise lets make it back into a forum, not a home boys club :cry: .

Potentially why people prefer to go to BSG, Golfwrx or TSG is because there is real golf info in there, if this site is to be for purely organising games, that's fine as well, I have made a lot of friends through here :D but to be honest, if I find out about some new equipment or something like that, I simply won't post it here :cry:

It's up to the members to decide where you/we go with this forum, some will drift in and out and stay out, the way it is heading, IMHO.

I hope I haven't been to subtle :roll: . Personally, I'd rather be playing golf than talking about it.

Pete

ben
8th June 2005, 09:54 AM
Pete,

YOU SAID IT PERFECTLY!

Jarro
8th June 2005, 11:19 AM
nicely put Pete ..... you lifter :P

markTHEblake
8th June 2005, 04:32 PM

- Two lovers having a tiff in someone elses Pro Shop thread.

- any post that someone presses the Report Post button for.

Now that there is a posting guideline in place in the Pro Shop forum, it should mean something like that wont happen again, becuase everybody is now going to be mindfull of the right place for their petty arguements and sledging.

And should it happen, the poor guy selling the clubs should have no qualms about pressing the Report Post button

So the moderators wont ever have to do anything, or worry about all that stuff you mentioned.

some of the incessant posting

I totally agree, but ironic that you have quite a strong opinion on that, considering you contributed to the incessant posting that bought this issue to head.

3oneday
8th June 2005, 05:45 PM
some of the incessant posting I totally agree, but ironic that you have quite a strong opinion on that,  considering you contributed to the incessant posting that bought this issue to head.couldn't help yourself now could you ?? is it a "last word" thing ?? or are you trying to ensure you weren't left out ? :wink:

Grow up.

Pete

goughy
8th June 2005, 06:19 PM
The pro shop was set up as a classified advertising forum. Yes, lots of the stuff dosen't sell here but on ebay, but that dosen't matter. It still has it's purpose.

Questions regarding the items for sale are ok. But preferably from someone who is interested in them and is trying to gain further info into a possible purchase.

Questions regarding why they are being sold (if not relevant to the sale), what's replacing them etc belong in the golf equip forum. Statements like 'you are a ho' or 'you should concentrate on your shortgame rather than selling clubs' have nothing to do at all with the actual sale of the clubs. They belong in the golf equip or golf matter forum etc.

It's just a common courtesy to not swamp these adds with off topic posts.

And remember why ozgolf started in the first place. Heated discussions are fine. They keep things interesting for many people (that's for you g69). I don't expect everyone to always get along. Heck I'm sure there are people who flat out can't stand eachother. But straight up personal attacks and abuse are not on. That is the very reason ozgolf started, and I never wanted it to occur here.

Typical ribbing and taking the piss out of each other is normal. But if it crosses the line or someone takes genuine offense to it then it's time to stop.

AndyP
8th June 2005, 08:23 PM
And should it happen, the poor guy selling the clubs should have no qualms about pressing the Report Post button

So the moderators wont ever have to do anything, or worry about all that stuff you mentioned.
The report button doesn't do anything except report the problem to the moderators. It doesn't make the problem go away.
The report button hasn't really been used yet. Let's see if it is used now?

Let's not kid ourselves. The off-topic posting isn't going to stop just like that.
The question is do we delete these posts, or split them out to a new topic. I guess the moderator will have to make a judgement call on the value of the off-topic discussion involved.

AndyP
8th June 2005, 08:25 PM
Statements like 'you are a ho' or 'you should concentrate on your shortgame rather than selling clubs' have nothing to do at all with the actual sale of the clubs. They belong in the golf equip or golf matter forum etc.
Forgive my lack of emoticons, but those two tacked onto the end were sarcasm. I didn't actually expect a response to them. :-s

goughy
8th June 2005, 08:25 PM
I am loath to deleting posts. So that looks like it andy. But you may be surprised how people will respect the pro-shops use and the posts in there.

AndyP
9th June 2005, 07:26 AM
No of Pro Shop listings since rules introduction: 1
No of off-topic posts: 10
No of reports: 0

Fishman Dan
9th June 2005, 07:45 AM
No of Pro Shop listings since rules introduction:  1
No of off-topic posts:  10
No of reports: 0

Speaks volumes doesn't it. People would rather carry on publicly, make a nuisance, and then complain that a thread has been hijacked instead of follow protocol :roll:

AndyP
9th June 2005, 08:13 AM
I think it's a bit early to be making that call based on the lack of data.
Perhaps it will take a little bit more time to make everyone aware of the new rules.
:neutral:

Fishman Dan
9th June 2005, 08:20 AM
The dob button has been in play for a long time AP.

Jarro
9th June 2005, 08:37 AM
DOB button hasn't been used much at all lately.

markTHEblake
9th June 2005, 10:34 PM
couldn't help yourself now could you ?? is it a "last word" thing ?? or are you trying to ensure you weren't left out ? :wink:
Grow up.

You only said what i had already said, so what were you doing, getting the last word in, not getting left out or was it just growing up.

thats two broken glass houses on one page, your on fire.

3oneday
9th June 2005, 10:50 PM
couldn't help yourself now could you ?? is it a "last word" thing ?? or are you trying to ensure you weren't left out ? :wink:
Grow up.

You only said what i had already said,  so what were you doing,  getting the last word in, not getting left out or was it just growing up.

thats two broken glass houses on one page,  your on fire.Thanks Son, appreciate your return ???

I wish you all the best in your cocoon... oh, and that's you're on fire :wink: I've done my growing, just grown straight outa here for a start, look up petulant next, Son..., utter dribble.

Do you just go late at night, in the vain hope folks will enjoy your witty remarks first up in the morning, you seem to have such a very good hold of your own importance.... I wish you luck, I really couldn't be tossed any longer. :?

goughy
10th June 2005, 05:27 AM
OK all. I'd say lets not let this get out of hand but it already is.

A valid point was brought up. It was discussed. It's been acted upon. Discussion is now over.

Off topic posting and to a degree thread jacking has been rife here for ages. I haven't acted upon it cause I spose I just wanted the forum to cruise along easily. I also felt that most here knew the reasons for the formation of ozgolf and that they would be able to restrain themselves and let it run as a forum should. In some cases that has not happened.

That has happened because I have been lazy and loath to want to moderate things or upset the apple cart. While this place is never gonna be ruled with an iron fist it will be kept in control from now on. There are plenty of people joining who end up leaving with hardly a post and plenty of guests who don't join. There are also plenty who have left and others who just want to be active in the 1st tee forum to keep up with mates. And that makes me sad.

There is a report button and people are welcome to use it. But reported posts won't be deleted or split lightly. None of the mods will be sitting around waiting for reports to come in. Ozgolf is not commercial, we don't make money out of it and we all have other things to do. It is not a dob button - people will not be chastised for using it and no one will find out who used it. But do use it with restraint.

If some don't like the new attitude here then there are thousands of other forums on the net - pretty much all of them moderated twice as severely as ozgolf ever will be.

Now can we just get back to doing what we do. And please keep the discussions civil. Not Mary Poppins civil - but you can disagree with someone and still show respect for them. It's not about not voicing your opinion (fantastic grammar there goughy). It's not about being 're-ned-ucated'. Just keep it a little bit civil.

Thanks all

And I'm having the last word.