PDA

View Full Version : Sigh.... yes, I need to learn to hit play from beginning :(

andylo
1st June 2004, 11:38 PM
Change a new couch anyway.... Paul something in Mt Gravatte driving range.

After playing already 5 months, he reckon I should learn a new posture, and have to start from half swing!!

For whatever sake now I can only hit balls which already teed up 2 inches high.... unable to hit balls off the deck!!

Also I have forgotten how I used to swing, even I want to regret!!

I am so fraustrated!!! SIGH!!!!

I guess I just need to follow the path in front of me now!!

(This is number 4 times to change swing, and I HATE IT! :evil: )

McMw
2nd June 2004, 12:02 AM
keep ur chin up!!!
it's the beauty of golf...
just when you think you've got it...it bites back!!! :D

AndyP
2nd June 2004, 06:35 AM
This sort of thing makes me not want to get lessons. I can't afford to be out of golf for that long, while I work on a half swing. I need to be out on the course.

Choppa
2nd June 2004, 07:36 AM
Where's the driving range at Mt Gravatt??

amanda
2nd June 2004, 08:23 AM
Andy- is there some reason why you've changed coaches?

4 swing changes is a lot (in my opinion).

goughy
2nd June 2004, 08:32 AM
You might be falling into the "paralysis by analysis" syndrome.
Just clear your head and hit it !

Ask jaster what one of my biggest swing faults is. It's the analysis I do after every bloody shot. It's a killer.

AndyP
2nd June 2004, 08:34 AM
You might be falling into the "paralysis by analysis" syndrome.
Just clear your head and hit it !

Ask jaster what one of my biggest swing faults is. It's the analysis I do after every bloody shot. It's a killer.

That's probably my downfall at the moment with my swing. Thinking about it too much. :(

Fishman Dan
2nd June 2004, 08:43 AM
I had my first lesson a few weeks ago after 3 years playing. My handicap came from 26 to 16 at the start of this year, and it was all rosey, but started doing something? Got too confident, started self-assessing? Not sure, but the swing, rhythm and direction is all gone.

Coaching gave me a new setup, swing path and grip - 3 subtle changes that feel totally different. I've played two rounds since, and terribly - but i think that says more about me than the changes.

Stick with it - don't crack the sh!ts just yet.

markTHEblake
2nd June 2004, 10:09 AM

Andy, I dont think you are thinking about this in the right context. For the limited time you have been playing its important right now for you to keep changing your swing - to improve it.

After 10 years or so, even a minor swing change is hard to do, but as young as you are, it should be just like a potter moulding his clay.

I am no psychologist, but it seems like you are not totally trusting of the coaches that are teaching you. Its like going to a lawyer asking for advice and then arguing with him :-) you need to totally submerse yourself in what the coach is teaching you and obey him without question, much like a parent teaches a child.

Perhaps you have not found the right coach that understands what you want? They can be hard to find, and thats why you keep changing.

I dont know too many coaches, but fact is one of the better ones is Garry Calder of Golf Club Innovations in Archerfield or Oxley driving range. He didnt win PGA golf coach of the year by using gimmicks y'know.

Garry's principle teaching method is to working with the student to meet their needs, ie everyone is different. As opposed to Gary Edwin who will teach everyone the exact same way - might as well just by his book.

And the 2nd benefit is that his golf shop is Golf Ho's paradise, kinda like my kids in Toys-r-us. And did i mention that if you buy clubs from them there are two benefits;
a) a 12mth guarantee that they work for you.
b) the guarantee is supported by free lessons for one year
(ie if the clubs dont work its the operator not the clubs)

Fishman Dan
2nd June 2004, 10:52 AM
(This is number 4 times to change swing, and I HATE IT! :evil: ) ...it should be just like a potter moulding his clay.

Deep man, really deep....

jaster
2nd June 2004, 10:58 AM
andylo....are you going to the launch monitor night? If you like...not that I am promising anything I can have a chat to you about a few things?? No guarantee but I bet I can help you 8) Blakey's advice also is very good but I think as the other guys have said you need to join a club, and play golf...forget about coaches and all that CRAP!!! Play golf for now :shock:

Onewood
2nd June 2004, 06:59 PM
andylo....are you going to the launch monitor night? If you like...not that I am promising anything I can have a chat to you about a few things?? No guarantee but I bet I can help you 8) Blakey's advice also is very good but I think as the other guys have said you need to join a club, and play golf...forget about coaches and all that CRAP!!! Play golf for now :shock:

I have a great 2 for 1 deal going :wink: :D

Onewood
2nd June 2004, 07:12 PM
I had my first lesson a few weeks ago after 3 years playing. My handicap came from 26 to 16 at the start of this year, and it was all rosey, but started doing something? Got too confident, started self-assessing? Not sure, but the swing, rhythm and direction is all gone.

Coaching gave me a new setup, swing path and grip - 3 subtle changes that feel totally different. I've played two rounds since, and terribly - but i think that says more about me than the changes.

Stick with it - don't crack the sh!ts just yet.

Fishy you have pin pointed your drop in form :roll: try going out and don't think about anything you've been taught :smt021 (thinking is for the driving range,where you've already trained the swing) the most important thing is to hit the ball, so no thinking!!!!! :wink:

Try this one
Back swing thought BEER
Down swing thought Bottle
and focus on the ball :smt102 and relax :smt015

Golfgirl
2nd June 2004, 08:35 PM

Andy, I dont think you are thinking about this in the right context. For the limited time you have been playing its important right now for you to keep changing your swing - to improve it.

After 10 years or so, even a minor swing change is hard to do, but as young as you are, it should be just like a potter moulding his clay.

Keep working at it Andy... if you have been told to change your posture, it is probably for a good reason, maybe your struggle is because you don't know why the coach is trying to change it... make sure you keep your lines of communication open.... And re: posture - this is so incredibly important years from now, you don't want to end up with back problems or other serious hassles.... :wink: :D

Jarro
2nd June 2004, 08:53 PM
hang in there buddy .... the results will come in time :)

markTHEblake
2nd June 2004, 10:19 PM
Try this one
Back swing thought BEER

Is that a quote from the "Inner Game of Golf : revised edition" by John Daly?

Onewood
2nd June 2004, 10:24 PM
Try this one
Back swing thought BEER

Is that a quote from the "Inner Game of Golf : revised edition" by John Daly?
:D Don't knock it till you try it :D

I might even try it :D

Courty
3rd June 2004, 07:21 AM
Try this one
Back swing thought BEER
and focus on the ball :smt102 and relax :smt015

All that would succeed in doing is making me look up in the middle of the swing to see if the drinks cart is coming :? :wink:

andylo
3rd June 2004, 09:01 AM
Thanks guys, thanks for the comments and encourgment :)

My old posture is no going back :) I hack to the new Vic Park 18 holes yesterday late noon (finish the game in 2.5 hours) with my new posture.

For some reason, everything is not work day before is start working yesterday's name. I am able to hit onto the green on the 1st shot for all those par 3 (off the tee) and somehow have more feel on the driver (but I guess I lost some distance).... but off the deck and rough is a tragic still.

MTB is correct on I am not trusting the coach but you can't blame me :D Before the lesson I still can hit some decent shot but after the lesson I fell apart :) But I will just keep working on the coach and see what it turns out. (And pretty sure I will get him killed if the end result is not what I expected!! LOL)

And for some of you, see you tonight.... and I will show you that to me is a strange posture :p

jaster
3rd June 2004, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys, thanks for the comments and encourgment :)

My old posture is no going back :) I hack to the new Vic Park 18 holes yesterday late noon (finish the game in 2.5 hours) with my new posture.

For some reason, everything is not work day before is start working yesterday's name. I am able to hit onto the green on the 1st shot for all those par 3 (off the tee) and somehow have more feel on the driver (but I guess I lost some distance).... but off the deck and rough is a tragic still.

MTB is correct on I am not trusting the coach but you can't blame me :D Before the lesson I still can hit some decent shot but after the lesson I fell apart :) But I will just keep working on the coach and see what it turns out. (And pretty sure I will get him killed if the end result is not what I expected!! LOL)

And for some of you, see you tonight.... and I will show you that to me is a strange posture :p

You are doing alright andylo....just got to get out and play some golf....golf is about what you score on the course. Not how good your swing looks or how many balls you can hit in a row!! Get that AGU and get playing mate 8)

Onewood
4th June 2004, 05:55 AM
Get that AGU [/u]and get playing mate 8)

We are working on this :wink: :P b Andylo with have that AGU thingy worked out by our July round 8) :D

Gollfer69
5th May 2014, 07:06 PM
How did you get on with this Andy ?