wish it was always this easy 8)

34(33) + 33(33) = 67

1 double
3 bogies
10 pars
4 birds

McMw
6th June 2005, 04:42 PM
hope this isn't a silly question - but does a par66 course play any easier than a normal track???

Ona
6th June 2005, 05:31 PM
I can only answer for myself.. and the answer is... I'm not sure :roll:

after deleting a long winded reply ive got this. for me, on this particular 66 track it is easier, but not due to the number of par 3's (reason for the low par) but because the holes are short. lucky for me despite being a short ass distance isnt usually an issue anywhere, but at QP im hitting in no more than wedge on over half the holes, so even if i didnt know the place inside out I would likely score better than elsewhere.

are there any low par tracks that have normal distance holes?

QP averages

Par3 - 153
Par4 - 311
Par5 - 451 (usually play 20m shorter)

McMw
6th June 2005, 05:46 PM
cheers.... :D

of the top of my head, there are 2 known short courses in Perth...both 9 holers...
one's next to a brewery (I think), and the other is freo public...

the freo one is a par68 (9holes twice around)...
never did get to play there...but then again, never did appeal to me to drive 30 mins just to play on a 9holer... :lol:

Flowergirl
7th June 2005, 08:15 AM
Ona......regardless of what the par of the course is.....that's a great result. :D Top effort. :wink:

Virgal_Tracy
7th June 2005, 08:18 AM
I foredoed (?) a round to have a lesson instead. My first. Pro worked on my swing and made to me what feels like massive changes but probably small just feels uncomfortable.

I have a feling that my game is going to go to the doghouse while I get used to it or i will end up abandoning the chjanges and return to disfunctional but reasonably effective. time to put the work in and make the changes natural.

Flowergirl
7th June 2005, 08:33 AM
Stick with it Virgal. Yes.....you probably will go backwards ( but maybe not) but in the long run it will be worth it. Stick with it and in a years time ( not that it will take that long) you'll be so glad you made those changes.
Hopefully your pro will only make small changes at a time - too mnay changes all at once can be very daunting.
Good luck!!!

Fishman Dan
7th June 2005, 08:44 AM
hope this isn't a silly question - but does a par66 course play any easier than a normal track???

Mau - i think it's a good question.

Gordon is a course near me - par 64? Something ridiculous, but it's no pushover. There are a couple of small par 3's and a small par 4 which are purely space restrictions, but there are also some tough holes.

But the course is perched either side of a valley, so there are 4 par 4's where you have a downhill tee shot, and sharp uphill approach - by the end of the day you're knackered.

At the end of the day, if you're playing well you should play to your handicap on any course, regardless of par or CCR.

markTHEblake
7th June 2005, 09:03 AM
IMHO low par courses are somewhat harder as they have more Par 3's and less Par 5's.

You can hit one bad shot on a par 4, and 2 bad shots on a par 5, and still make easy par by hitting the Green in Reg. But on a par 3 you only get one shot at the green.

jimandr
7th June 2005, 10:57 PM
This is such a good question it deserves its own topic. Go to Golf Talk, where I'm about to start a new topic.

Virgal_Tracy
8th June 2005, 01:33 PM
Took the morning off work to play in midweek medal day. Practiced swing changes last night and was hoping to see improvements. Ended up shooting 1 over h'cap but this can be put down to some woeful putting.

36 putts 16% of GIR and at least 3 holes where drive finished behind a tree and at best had to pitch out sideways with a couple backwards. Overall fairly happy and will look forward to Carnarvon on Monday to again assess where changes are at.

Grunt
8th June 2005, 03:07 PM
Where did you go for lessons Virgal?

Flowergirl
8th June 2005, 09:21 PM
Had such a fun day today. :D After playing pennant this season, three weeks of club champs followed last week by monthly medal - today was a three person team ambrose event. Lots of fun and no pressure. :lol:
Hit some great shots - and some not so great. Hit one 3 wood fairway shot which was the best shot I've ever ever hit! Can't ask for more than that can you. Don't know how far......but it was straight and long long. :D
We ended up with a gross 75..net 64...good enough for second.
Best of all - in Melbourne - in June - and it was a sunny 21 degrees........amazing!!!
I am loving my golf at the moment. I know that one day I'll reach my goal.....I might be 60 by then - but - hey - who cares!!

Ona
9th June 2005, 12:52 AM
FG savour it, the foul weather is coming our way :cry:

Virgal_Tracy
9th June 2005, 07:48 AM
Grant,

Had a lesson with the pro @ Riverlands. I'd given the wife 2 lessons for Xmas 2003 and she'd only used 1 so thought I would use the other. More practice needed to ensure consistency.

Grunt
9th June 2005, 05:05 PM
Played Macarthur Grange this morning, 1st game with the hybrid.

What a game! +5 on the front; +14 on the back. 89 gross 65 nett. Front nine, I could not do a thing wrong was awesome miss a fairway then hit to a few feet of the pin, nailing long putts. Back nine was a bit of a reality check with some bad shots but still held it together

Hybrid was unreal, I hit it too well on a couple of occasions. Will get used to it for sure.

Bring on The Glades.

Flowergirl
9th June 2005, 05:16 PM
Net 65 Grant....way to go.....you'll be down to 18 in no time. :wink:

amanda
9th June 2005, 07:35 PM
Go Grant - fantastic results! Was it a comp round to reduce your handicap?

Virgal_Tracy
10th June 2005, 08:55 AM
Great round. Sounds like all your hard work and all of those rounds of golf have got you headed in the right direction. If comp and depending on the CCR then a 2 stroke drop in h'cap. If not what a great confidence boost to know that you can do it.

I'd forget 18 if you can keep reproducing 5+ for 9 then you're looking more at 12 -15. Go boy go.

McMw
10th June 2005, 08:50 PM
82 this afternoon in R1 Club Open...
can't wait to see what's in store for me tomorrow morning... :roll:

don't know wat's more annoying...fading my 1st tee shot of the 10th OOB and then making a birdie/bogey with the 2nd ball (to start a bad run), or 4putting from 15ft on the 4th after a GIR... :roll:

Jarro
11th June 2005, 02:53 PM
83 (42/41)at Nambour this morning.

6 fairways  :oops:
6 GIR's
33 putts

Courty
11th June 2005, 07:52 PM
Club Champs (Round 3).

86 (nett 79). :cry:

7 Fairways
4 Greens
34 Putts

:smt078

I was feeling bad until I heard about one of the leading A-Graders' efforts (a scratch-marker).
On the 1st hole (an easy 298m par 4) he has shanked 4 balls OB right with an iron, then pulled out driver and snap-hooked it into the trees on the left. He eventually walked off with 13. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Eag's
11th June 2005, 08:16 PM
Club Champs (Round 3).

86 (nett 79). :cry:

7 Fairways
4 Greens
34 Putts

:smt078

I was feeling bad until I heard about one of the leading A-Graders' efforts (a scratch-marker).
On the 1st hole (an easy 298m par 4) he has shanked 4 balls OB right with an iron, then pulled out driver and snap-hooked it into the trees on the left. He eventually walked off with 13. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bloody hell!! that sounds like a G69 hole :smt016 :wink:

mike
11th June 2005, 11:10 PM

:?:

mike
11th June 2005, 11:16 PM
...On the 1st hole (an easy 298m par 4) he has shanked 4 balls OB right with an iron, then pulled out driver and...

It may look easy for you but I always seem to struggle on that hole.
Combination of 1st tee nerves and those big bunkers half way up. Spooks me. :x

How is the course looking ?

Jarro
12th June 2005, 06:00 AM

:?:

:?: :?:

terryand
12th June 2005, 06:47 AM
I saw it too MIke :roll:

The 42/42=83 :oops:

Don't try to cover up your :oops: :oops: Mr Mod :wink:

Terry.

Jarro
12th June 2005, 06:53 AM
I saw it too MIke :roll:

The 42/42=83 :oops:

Don't try to cover up your  :oops:  :oops: Mr Mod :wink:

Terry.

i don't know what you guys are on about :smt102

http://ozgolf.net/forum/images/smiles/eusa_whistle.gif

terryand
12th June 2005, 06:58 AM
Jarro, you just have to stop your theory of drinking the same number of beers as putts you have on the day before you post your score :lol: 8)

Terry.

Courty
12th June 2005, 07:50 AM
It may look easy for you but I always seem to struggle on that hole. Combination of 1st tee nerves and those big bunkers half way up. Spooks me. :x

Don't know what you're worried about, Mike. Use driver from the tee, it takes the bunkers out of play (but brings the lake into play :twisted:).

How is the course looking ?

It was looking pretty good until about 2 weeks ago when these showers started. The rain hasn't been all that heavy, but the nincompoop greenkeepers didn't think to turn off the automatic overnight sprinklers. So now the place is turning into a boghole again. They better sort it out, the Von Nida event is on again in a fortnight.

Fishman Dan
12th June 2005, 08:58 AM
Yep - thumbs up for Mur'bah, a really nice track with friendly natives. Front 9 (our back 9) is primarily flat, and the back 9 is a different set of challenges altogether. It's the a pity the 14th isn't quite up yet - a 500m par 5 with very aggressive bunkering - instead we played a 150m temp par 3.

Thanks to Richard and Dave for coming down from the coast, good 4-some with myself and my father in law. 69's score of 36 wasn't 'spectacular' - he was solid and consistent all day.

I had 25 points after an ordinary start, Tony (F-I-L) had 24. It wasn't so much my ordinary tee shots, but the 2nd shots let me down.

We were up before dawn knee-deep in mud laying polythene piping for the farmhouse, before jumping in the car for the 80 km trek to get to the course, and straight onto the first tee. Okay - poor excuse for a poor score, but we're taking it.

Shot of the day? The bloke with the 'Pod' (?) in the group in front of us off the 1st. Photo's to come. Nah - actually it was my putt on the 16th. :P

AndyP
12th June 2005, 10:02 AM
11/06/2005, Nambour GC, Monthly Honours

Played my best round to date to shoot my best ever score of 74 (+6). Stuck to my course plan, kept my focus, and trusted my putter.
Wasn't striking the ball that well for the front nine, but kept it tidy and never got in trouble. By the back nine I was hitting it well off the tee and to the green, giving myself chances for birdies.

And I've just found out that I have won a comp at Nambour for the first time. \:D/ Rather handy that I did it for Monthly Honours, which will qualify me for a Monthly Winners playoff at the end of the year. :D

Props to my man, Dr. Bob. 8) :wink:

9/12 effective T-shots.
7/18 effective approaches.
30 putts.
----------------
2 birdies.
9 pars.
6 bogeys.
1 double (easiest hole on the course #-o ).

Score 38-36-74 nett 61 (par 34-34-68 ).

CCR was 67 for the day, so I have skipped my goal of having a handicap of 12, and gone straight from 13 to 11. 11.4 to be exact. :D
My first venture into A-grade at Nambour. 8-[

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Ona
12th June 2005, 02:20 PM
nice andy! :D

now you just need to get into the singles and you'll be a fair dinkum a-grader :twisted:

Courty
12th June 2005, 03:42 PM
I have skipped my goal of having a handicap of 12, and gone straight from 13 to 11.  11.4 to be exact.  :D
My first venture into A-grade at Nambour.  8-[

Excellent work, Andy. You'll have to revise your goals now, as there is still half the year left to go.  :shock:

Obviously, from that statement, the boundaries between grades differ at different clubs. Here at Cairns, A-Grade is up to 10, B-Grade to 18. Is it something that each club determines based on number of members within a handicap range, or what par & rating the course is, or is it just whatever the committee feels like? :?

Jarro
12th June 2005, 06:30 PM
33 points at Beerwah today.

Onewood
12th June 2005, 06:32 PM

Not much excitement in that post mate :wink: what did the others have

Jarro
12th June 2005, 06:41 PM

Not much excitement in that post mate :wink: what did the others have

AndyP has the scores mate, i'll let him post them :wink:

markTHEblake
12th June 2005, 07:26 PM
Courty, its whatever the committee decides, and obviously is affected by the numbers that would be in each grade,

At my club we now have four grades, A is 0-9, got no idea about the rest except D grade is about 23-27

Courty
12th June 2005, 07:28 PM
Final Round of the Club Champs. I'd just like to make it known, that I am not the Club Champion this year. :roll:

In fact, not even close. 84 (Nett 77).
6 Fairways
6 Greens
36 Putts

It sounds bad (it was), but I am actually pretty happy as a result. I didn't score well, particularly on the front 9, but I sorted out some swing faults and played to my handicap on the back nine (even with a bogey on the 18th). So, after some pain, I walked away with some confidence in my swing to take into the next game. :?

BrisVegas
12th June 2005, 07:34 PM
28 points today at gailes including an eagle and a birdie....

9 fairways
8 GIR
37 putts

AndyP
12th June 2005, 08:06 PM
now you just need to get into the singles and you'll be a fair dinkum a-grader  :twisted:
Nah, that might require work and going to the driving range and stuff.  Too hard.

Excellent work, Andy. You'll have to revise your goals now, as there is still half the year left to go. :shock:
Well, it was more of a goal for last year, that I didn't quite reach.
Not sure I need to have goals, except to go out there and enjoy myself everytime I play.

AndyP
12th June 2005, 08:19 PM
12/06/2005, Beerwah GC, Stableford.

Continued the good form from yesterday.  Only difference being that there were a couple of duffs or shocker shots chucked in there today.

Two weeks ago my new putting stroke felt a little weird.  Now I am feeling fully comfortable with it, and am treating birdie or bogey putts exactly the same.  Number of putts is down, as a result of this, and hitting the irons quite well.

Got in the generous ball run down (as did jarro with 33), and a NTP on the 2nd.

11/14 effective T-shots.
7/18 effective approaches.
31 putts.
---------------------
1 birdie.
8 pars.
7 bogeys.
1 double.
1 other.  (assuming I 2 putted after taking a wipe from a chip)

Score 17-20-37pts.  :)

Very happy to have played to my new handicap.  Don't know if this is a little bit of a hot streak or more like playing to my ability.

Trung
12th June 2005, 08:31 PM
No golf for this long weekend. :?

1st. Remind me that Canberra trips during winter are not on. Bloody freezing. :evil:

2nd. Got called back to work early tomorrow, office have overseas visitors from HQ. They booked their tickets without realising that it's a public holiday for NSW :evil: :x .

Fishman Dan
12th June 2005, 08:34 PM
Courty, its whatever the committee decides, and obviously is affected by the numbers that would be in each grade,

At my club we now have four grades,  A is 0-9, got no idea about the rest except D grade is about 23-27

We had 4 grades at Murwillumbah the other day - A, A-reserve, B and C grades. Not sure of the h'cap breakdown, but i've only heard of A-Res at a few places?

Is this eliteism from the 0-5/6/7/8? brigade? I can't work out why you'd have the A-reserve.

AndyP
12th June 2005, 08:37 PM
1st. Remind me that Canberra trips during winter are not on. Bloody freezing.  :evil:
Same sort of time that I was down there last year, Trung.
Golf is not the same in that sort of weather. Golf balls feel as hard as rocks. And I'm used to playing all my rounds in a shirt, not rugged up in a jumper.

You should have gone to the driving range with heaters above the bays. 8)

cazandpaul
13th June 2005, 04:33 AM
The less said about mixed foursomes the better - we both saw parts of the course we have never seen before :oops:

markTHEblake
13th June 2005, 08:25 AM
They have some A Reserve Open events here on the Gold Coast, which is 5-10 hcap, which are played on the same day as Major opens on different course which are limited to 4 or less hcap.

Another reason to call it A reserve so that the C graders dont become D graders.

McMw
13th June 2005, 08:59 AM
shot 82/77/78 for the Club Open...

started R3 in 21st posi...not quite sure where I finished, mid teens is my best guess...

once again, the wheels fell off...
on Sat, 7 over in my last 4 holes...
yester, 7 over in my last 6 holes...

drunken
13th June 2005, 09:31 AM
38 points on Saturday. That included five 1 pointers....what could have been....

burger
14th June 2005, 12:04 PM
Played with a social group @ Carnarvon on Sunday Tee off in the fog . . .
starting on the 10th and on the 12th (?) we really couldn't see the green or flag at all and the guys ahead called us up! :shock:

Moments after two in our group had teed off the fog lifted enough to make out the green.
I played pretty average, particularly over the last 7 holes . . . :oops:
Thoroughly enjoyed the day and 28 points won me a 3rd place (ball) on count back.

stu