PDA

View Full Version : Softstepping SuperLite S300's

Stuartd147
31st December 2010, 01:41 PM
I have I15's with ZZ65's and a mate's set of MP32's with SuperLite S300's I have been "loaning" for a while. Being disillusioned with the I15's a while back I bought a set of AP2's with S300's (3-PW) off a fellow forumite after having played a few mate's sets of AP2's and liking them. But I find the S300's just too heavy and probably a touch stiff for me, and I really like the weight of the SL300's...so I was thinking of getting a set of SL300 shafts and softstepping them.

So here is the question, am I right in saying that if I buy a set of tapered DGSL S300's shafts ready for 2 iron to 9 iron and then put them into my AP2 3-PW I will end up with the shafts being softstepped x 1 and 1/2" longer than standard?

(anyone on this forum sell DG shafts?)

...Stu

rick3003
31st December 2010, 04:00 PM
I have I15's with ZZ65's and a mate's set of MP32's with SuperLite S300's I have been "loaning" for a while. Being disillusioned with the I15's a while back I bought a set of AP2's with S300's (3-PW) off a fellow forumite after having played a few mate's sets of AP2's and liking them. But I find the S300's just too heavy and probably a touch stiff for me, and I really like the weight of the SL300's...so I was thinking of getting a set of SL300 shafts and softstepping them.

So here is the question, am I right in saying that if I buy a set of tapered DGSL S300's shafts ready for 2 iron to 9 iron and then put them into my AP2 3-PW I will end up with the shafts being softstepped x 1 and 1/2" longer than standard?

...Stu
That is the correct way of soft stepping Stu. I have always found the Superlites to play a little firmer than stock DG's.

PM virge666 as he will be able to get you some or look out for some cheap pullouts.

Another option is kbs tour regs which are 110 grams and will play a little firmer than stock reg flex.

peter_rs
31st December 2010, 04:33 PM
Vigre any input and what's a set of dg sl worth

Daves
1st January 2011, 02:51 PM
Have you considered Nippons shafts Stuart?, they have a number of light weight options that I reckon would be superior to the DGs. I have NS 970s (95g) in my AP2 and love them. I have a set of 105Ts (105g) in the garage awaiting the right heads (probably 710 AP2s when I find a set at the right price).

Stuartd147
1st January 2011, 05:31 PM
Yes Dave I have tried the 105T's out of our pro's demo sets and these are my 2nd choice...how did you end up with a set of these??? I thought they are a specific shaft made for Titleist only??? I know the importers of the Nippon shafts and they said the GH1050, which I can buy as an aftermarket shaft, is different to the 105T but I don't know by how much or/and if it is just marketing hype. For me the SL300's in the MP32s go way higher than I can get the S300's in the AP2's to go, I know they are different heads/shafts but I can swing harder with the SL300's being lighter I guess...also a bad shot goes short and straighter for me, it feels to me like there is less twisting happening in the SL300's. I have only hit the 6 iron with the AP2/105T, it goes about as high as the MP32 6 iron which I like....I would like to try a whole set with the AP2/105T's but no-one I know has a set for me to try.....Stu

Daves
1st January 2011, 09:03 PM
My mistake, the shafts I have are actually 1030 GHs, made for Cobra pulls. The 105Ts I was thinking of are in a set of 710 AP2s I am going to check out next week.

Jontea
2nd January 2011, 02:59 PM
Stuart, as pullouts go you would still have to make sure of the finished length of the clubs. Soft stepping will give you an extra 1/2" but if they come from a 37.5" 5iron then you might only be back to 38" 5iron. Things like a different hosel depth will determine the build and swingweight. Will one shaft down be enough to get the softer flex that you require ?
If you get new raw shafts fitted then you will be assured of the final product. Good pullouts fitted/built might be $20/30. New shafts would be about $40/50 fitted/built.

dave1
2nd January 2011, 05:00 PM
Have you considered Nippons shafts Stuart?, they have a number of light weight options that I reckon would be superior to the DGs. I have NS 970s (95g) in my AP2 and love them. I have a set of 105Ts (105g) in the garage awaiting the right heads (probably 710 AP2s when I find a set at the right price).

plus 1...I will nevr use another iron shaft again..ns pro the best for me..varity of weights also

virge666
2nd January 2011, 06:35 PM
Sorry Stuart - bit late on this one.

Superlites are around $35 for a raw shaft INC GST. If you go a set - dont buy from me, it will be cheaper importing a set from the USA... I am good for one off purchasers, there are just too many people in the distrribution chain in Australia for anyone to make a profit.

I usually do the shaft at cost and charge for installation...

BUT . . . I would second the NSPro over the superlites... unless of course you a a low single digit player. Soft stepping is a good idea for them but they still feel pretty ordinary and are very unforgiving for a higher marker.

NSPro 1050, KBS Tour and Dynamic Gold High Launch are a great option that you should be able to source off eBay for around $100 and if you like I will install them for you. I charge usually $10 a club to install balance and match up.

Good luck and hit me on the forum or PM if you have any further Q's.

Stuartd147
20th January 2011, 10:34 PM
Got my AP2 710's setup today with the new DG Superlite S300's by our resident shaft meister Virge, many thanks mate for your patience and assistance. Virge gave them the "works", they are spined, softstepped and about 3/8" over standard. I got home this evening after a 2 1/2 hour drive back home and went straight to my course to try them out. (I have a very understanding wife thank goodness!!!) Results so far are pretty good (until it got dark)....I have been playing a mate's set of MP32's with Superlites for a few months now and love them except for the 3&4 irons, I have been carrying a 3 hybrid instead. However the 3 and 4 irons in the AP2's seemed great to hit this afternoon so the hybrid is out and the 3/4 are back in the bag for this weekend.

The AP2's don't look quite as good as the MP32's do on the ground, the Mizuno's have a sharper leading edge and just seem to sit right in behind the ball, but I will get over that after a few rounds I reckon. Overall I think the AP2's are playing about half a club longer, maybe a touch higher in flight and feel very solid when you connect. One big difference is teeing up (or out of the rough) with the irons, I find with the MP32's you have to hit nice and low in the face or they go nowhere, but the AP2's don't mind a higher hit in the face, the loss in distance is not that great.

Give me a few weeks to get over the honeymoon period and I will report back.....now just 2 more sleeps to Saturday's comp:D:D...Stu

Captain Nemo
1st February 2011, 12:18 PM

...Stu

Stu,
Thats what virge did for me in my x-20 tours.
They where sl 300s but 1/2" over so when he did them all and cut them back to standard length they worked out well.

TourFit
1st February 2011, 01:27 PM
I know someone who has a spare set of X20 Tours...for a backup set perhaps?