PDA

View Full Version : Davepuppies 2010 year in review and goals for 2011

davepuppies
30th December 2010, 10:01 AM
Some of you may remember i started the game this year in Jan after a 10 plus year break from the game. As a teenager i got my handicap down to 2 before giving the game away.

I completed my 3 handicap cards in Jan and was given a handicap of 18.

I set my self 3 goals for 2010, of which i achieved 2 of the 3.

1. Get my handicap down to single figures (achieved - my handicap is 6 today)
2. Play B grade pennants for my club (achieved - played number 1 or 2 all season)
3. win B grade club championships (failed - lost in the semi finals)

as 2010 closes i find myself quite satisfied with the year that has been. I have learnt lots about the "new ways" of swinging a club, and have found a renewed love for the game.

when i came back to the game i promised myself i wouldnt take the game as seriously as i did when a teenager, and linked that with having a low handicap. I said i never wanted to play off 2 again.

My goals for 2011 are not as big as this year as i have bought a real estate agency and cannot commit the same amount of time to golf. they are

1. Play major pennannts for my club (season starts Feb)
2. have a handicap of 5 or less
3. Continue to enjoy golf and see it as a relaxing recreation, not a constant competition with the world!

I hope you guys had a great 2010 and have a even better 2011!

Good golfing

Dave

live4golf
30th December 2010, 10:08 AM
Good luck with it all Dave...

Minor_Threat
30th December 2010, 10:13 AM
Nice write up mate. Good luck with it all in 2011.

BTW it is possible to play off 2 and not take it all so serious!

chappy1970
30th December 2010, 12:07 PM
Dave that is a serious handicap reduction in one year, conscious of your previous low handicap, that is some fine shootin

davepuppies
30th December 2010, 05:16 PM
Cheers guys....... its a long road yet, as i constantly try and understand the mechanics of the "new way" of swing a club, and am thankfull of the time giveb to me by many, but would like to also thank Virge for all his help this year!

matty
30th December 2010, 05:51 PM
dave, what do you mean 'new way'?

davepuppies
30th December 2010, 07:24 PM
I mean using the body to control the clubface.

when i used to play in the mid to late 90s, i swung at the ball with a inside path and flipped the clubface (or released as they called it) through impact.

Webster
30th December 2010, 07:59 PM
bandit

live4golf
30th December 2010, 08:38 PM
from what I saw today you'll be down to low singles in no time.

davepuppies
30th December 2010, 08:43 PM
Cheers L4G, Virge and i did a little more work after you left and the outcome was good.

Hopefully your new irons work well for you on the course!

live4golf
30th December 2010, 08:50 PM
good to hear...very solid swing you have, just takes a bit to get it grooved. Once you get it though you'll love that little fade (you are far too big for me to call it ghey :))

I am pretty pumped about the irons, we'll need to hook up for a game in the very near future.

davepuppies
30th December 2010, 09:16 PM
Sounds good!

virge666
2nd January 2011, 07:09 PM
Dave is a sensational student, and this is why.

- He understands where he is in the process, he is a not looking for THE way, he is looking for a way that he can understand and that makes sense to him. He tried a few instructors to see which methods worked for him.
- He asks questions... lots of them. And only when all those questions are answered, he will either agree or agree to disagree. Either way - he absorbs the infomation, processes it and then makes a decision.
- He was able to let go of his pre-concieved ideas. If you always to what you always have done... nothing will change, including your handicap.
- Lastly, he has the best disposition in the world for golf. His understanding and ability to seperate bullshit from process is right up there anyone I have ever met. It has been an absolute pleasure to watch him decimate his handicap in 12 months.

You will piss in major pennants next year... now go join a proper club.

davepuppies
2nd January 2011, 09:13 PM
Virge thanks for your kind assesment of my learning curve.

I look forward to learning more this year (and maybe even having a lower handicap than the teacher!!!!)

re other clubs, as you know the buisness i bought is in penrith, so i will likely hold a dual membership there. Balgowlahs ACR is 66 whilst par is 68, so i have to shoot 4 over to play to my handicap, whilst penriths ACR is 75 and par 72. I will also benefit from a course with par 5s as i can use my length to my advantage - Balgowlahs longest hole i hit driver 9 iron.

we will have to play Bayview before i go back on the 10th?

Stuartd147
2nd January 2011, 09:14 PM
Dave well done! It will be fun watching your progress.

I hope I can follow in your footsteps (pitch marks) but a year behind...I got down to 4 in my late 30's then gave the game away for about 15 years, I just joined Port Kembla golf course 5 months back and started off 16 and now down to 9, mind you I find the trouble easier to find at PK, way more than I did when I was a member of Wollongong GC before. If I could get to 6-7 in the next 12 months that would be sensational but mat be optimistic. My target is to play in our Masters pennants team this year (over 50's and starts in March I think), our A-pennants team are all 0-2 markers!

So Virge666 when are you next giving lessons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....Stu

virge666
2nd January 2011, 09:41 PM
Virge thanks for your kind assesment of my learning curve.

I look forward to learning more this year (and maybe even having a lower handicap than the teacher!!!!)

we will have to play Bayview before i go back on the 10th?

Honestly mate - I would be thrilled if you get down to 2 or 3. As I said before - just get the dynamics right and you can cruise through a handicap of 4-5.

Weather permitting - how are you for game later this week ?

davepuppies
3rd January 2011, 10:41 AM
Later this week should be fine - i am free thursday if that works?

virge666
3rd January 2011, 01:56 PM
Thursday arvo is good by me... Playing Wednesday in the comp with Dennis vs Dave and Jimmy from the range... if we get a pull out, are you up for the comp @ 12:30 ?

davepuppies
3rd January 2011, 03:17 PM
Wed is no good mate, i am playing at bally in the morning.

Does Bayview have a comp thursday?

virge666
3rd January 2011, 05:39 PM
nah - no comp.

Tuesday and Wednesday for comp.