PDA

View Full Version : Golf in Bali - Worth it???

rubin
29th December 2010, 03:46 PM
As the title suggests, im heading to bali again this year, and having been about 10 times in the last 15 yrs, I'm looking at playing a round voer there for the first time.

Has anyone played there at all? I'm looking at the courses in Nusa Dua (there's 3 or 4 by the looks), but I dont really know if its worth the 100 or so Aussie dollars to play there.

Opinions?

Flavzz
29th December 2010, 03:50 PM
Shoot Titleist775 a pm. He is from Indonesia and has played in Bali a fair bit..

TheTrueReview
29th December 2010, 03:53 PM
This thread might assist. http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/18717-Golf-in-Bali

rubin
29th December 2010, 04:06 PM
This thread might assist. http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/18717-Golf-in-Bali

cheers TTR.

I'm more looking at course/play quality. Ive had some mates play there before and reckon they're all rubbish, but i'm more inclined to believe its the players that were rubbish............. One of the guys I play with quite regularly and would average a lost ball every 3 holes.

Im undecided as to whether its worth forking out some serious money for them.

Cosmopolite
29th December 2010, 04:18 PM
Nirwana at Tanah Lot is a top course, so is Handara. Handara is a bit of a hike from Kuta but up in the mountains and quite different from the other courses.

I believe the new Kuta course is very good too, but I havent been there. People I play golf with have been there and rate it very good.

No way are they rubbish courses.

Courty
29th December 2010, 04:54 PM
Nirwana at Tanah Lot is a top course.

+1. Fantastic course in a beautiful location.

BrettM
29th December 2010, 05:29 PM
Bali Golf & CC is OK. Bit overpriced IMO for what you get (it's like you're playing in Florida) but when you stay on Nusa Dua it can be the norm. We stay at the Sheraton Laguna and it's right across the road.

Bali Handara is an early Thomson/Wolveridge design up in the mountains. The cooler temperatures means they can grow bentgrass greens. I saw some photos not that long ago of the greens they were working on and they appeared in good condition, don't know what they would be like now though or the condition of the rest of the course.

Nirwana is not a bad course. Some pretty good holes but a bit like any other Norman course IMO. Fair drive from Nusa Dua but we used a driver and car which made things easy. Rates for the driver and car from the Laguna were US$100 per day.

rodders
29th December 2010, 05:47 PM
Played Nirwana in June. My view was that I was very happy I played and crossed off list, but really, for the price, it was not good value.

Do it and enjoy the views which are spectacular in parts, and forget the cruddy greens and dodgy distance advice from your caddie (had my rangefinder with me and it was not unusual for her to be 25m off the mark!)

Some of my photos to inspire :)

Courty
29th December 2010, 07:20 PM
Do it and enjoy the views which are spectacular in parts, and forget the cruddy greens and dodgy distance advice from your caddie (had my rangefinder with me and it was not unusual for her to be 25m off the mark!)

Funny you should say that. When I played there in 2003 (?) I was struggling with distance reads until I worked out the caddy was talking in yards, not metres!