PDA

View Full Version : Scott Draper - a lawn bowler?

TheTrueReview
26th December 2010, 09:13 AM
Saw this on his wikipedia profile. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Draper)

"Following his short stint as a professional golfer, Draper went on to become the national lawn bowls champion in the 45 years and under category at the Tweed Heads lawn bowls club."

WTF? He's left golf to be a lawnbowler?

Does anyone know if this is true?

Ferrins
26th December 2010, 10:54 AM
I thought he had become an astronaut and was writing a sequel to Homers Odyssey while living on the international space station. When he is back on earth he does Formula One racing and consults with Steiner schools on there curriculum, that's if he's not leading climbing expeditions in the Himalayas.

AndyP
26th December 2010, 11:11 AM
A quick google search shows that his grandfather was a very good player.

Tomson
26th December 2010, 12:04 PM
I thought he had become an astronaut and was writing a sequel to Homers Odyssey while living on the international space station. When he is back on earth he does Formula One racing and consults with Steiner schools on there curriculum, that's if he's not leading climbing expeditions in the Himalayas.

you're funny :)

kingslayer33
26th December 2010, 12:07 PM
He also consulted on the set of Mad Men re: his mate Don Draper's many liasons with the ladies.

TheTrueReview
26th December 2010, 08:43 PM
A quick google search shows that his grandfather was a very good player.

Thanks Andy. Still uncertain about the accuracy of the report about his 'move' to lawn bowls. Perhaps it's more like one of a number of things on his plate, golf included.

LarryLong
26th December 2010, 09:46 PM
Does he list MarkTheBlake as his inspiration?

MegaWatty
26th December 2010, 10:23 PM
Is MTB on a self imposed ban as well at the moment? Perhaps he's just on holidays.

dave1
9th January 2011, 11:43 AM
with good hand eye cooridnation an elite athlete can often switch sports pretty easily

there are numerous examples

there is a chick in todays sunday times (wa paper) who plays cricket and soccer fro australia

many AFL draftees excelled at other sports......in fact many younger top athletes are encoraged to pursue other sports in thier early teens...as it develops other motor skils...

draper could easily do it.....

people dissed him for the golf thing...why?...I think what he achieved in such a short space of time was truly outstanding ..yes he got some exemptions but he did win the nsw open

I think may AFL players would make great track n feild athletes but track n feild is dull existence training in the rain on a cold morning ...and the $$$ isnt anywhere near AFL

would be interesting to see if a golfer could pursue another sport....

tiger = javelin or 400 m runner..hell he could have been decathlete
John daly could easily with his power, size and roatation speed been a discus or shot put athlete...easily

I was watching the re-max long drive last night on fox (repeat) and the guy who came 2nd (17 year old) plays baseball and can throw 95 mph which is major league speed...that kid could with his athletic ability, hand speed and cooridnation could play a number of sports at elite level

you look at a guy like dustin johnson..now he could easily play a numer of athletic events well

so draper to lawn bowls which require no athletic ability - just touch....well his drop shot in tenns requires touch and so does golf so could he do it...yes...well he probably not but good on him for trying if he does

dean0820
9th January 2011, 02:42 PM
if i had the ability and opportunities i reckon i'd do the same as this guy.
i quit a career in cricket simply because i wanted to do more than one single thing all day every day.
plenty of people could pursue things like this guy, but without some financial security, most people take the responsible route and get a real job instead.

markTHEblake
10th January 2011, 12:41 AM
WTF? He's left golf to be a lawnbowler?

better money in bowls for low and middle tiers, unlike golf where only the elite can make money. But at his age its a bit late to be starting now, most of the elite bowlers are under 25, many teens.

dave1
10th January 2011, 01:58 AM
if i had the ability and opportunities i reckon i'd do the same as this guy.
i quit a career in cricket simply because i wanted to do more than one single thing all day every day.
plenty of people could pursue things like this guy, but without some financial security, most people take the responsible route and get a real job instead.

um he did make the semi finals of the US open in tennis and worked his ass to get to that level...the money he earnt bought hin that time

yes he has financial security...but he earned it all the same

idgolfguy
10th January 2011, 04:45 AM
There's money in lawn bowls.?What about the women? Are they a little less than the 'blue-rinse' set.

Has there been a Tiger Woods type personality in lawn bowls - including the drama?

markTHEblake
10th January 2011, 08:24 AM
There's money in lawn bowls.?
Shitloads. Not multi million dollar events like golf majors but at local levels yes. Sponsors get better value for dollar because the viewing of the event is concentrated into one small space. Look at any bowls events on telly, the billboards around the playing area are saturated.

What about the women? Are they a little less than the 'blue-rinse' set.
as i said, under 25 usually. some of the best in qld are teenagers

Has there been a Tiger Woods type personality in lawn bowls Kelvin Kerkow was No1 in AU for a while, has been a flamboyant personality, like dyed green hair, metal inserts in his face, and several disputes with the ruling bodies.

idgolfguy
10th January 2011, 10:42 AM
Will have to start looking out for it. Have played a couple of times and enjoyed it.

Goldy
10th January 2011, 10:45 AM
Careful - once you try it, it WILL hook you in.

I speak from experience - started in 1984 when I was 21 and played pennant up until about 5 years ago.