PDA

View Full Version : Which golf courses to play in Dunsborough-Busselton WA region??????

Oxy
24th December 2010, 11:55 AM
Hi All,

I am heading down to Abbey Beach 4-8 Jan 2011 which is between Dunsborough and Busselton WA.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to the best courses I should play?

Thanks in Advance.

Oxy:mrgreen:

Yossarian
24th December 2010, 11:59 AM
Bunbury Golf Club. Members track but you can get on. Bit of a drive from where you are staying but not too bad.
Capel Golf Club.
Dunsborough Lakes was fun.
Binningup is worth the drive.

Oxy
24th December 2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks for that.

The search continues.

Yossarian
24th December 2010, 12:31 PM
If you can get a whole day away the Binny/ Bunbury combination is the best bet. Bunbury is about an hour, maybe a little less from where you are and binny another20 minutes or so.

I've never played Busselton GC so can't comment but have heard it is ok.

simmsy
24th December 2010, 01:08 PM
Busselton GC is a good track, but Bunbury is the pick of them in the south west.

Bunbury
Capel
Binningup
Busselton
Dunsborough Lakes
Margaret River isn't too bad either.

Oxy
24th December 2010, 02:06 PM
Thus far I have booked in at Dunsborough Lakes on 5 Jan and Bunbury 6 Jan.

I do have some mates whom want to show me a round or 2 in Perth as well so this will be a fun holiday.

I would love to play at my ol' club WAGC but we'll see.......it's been about 12 years since I was a member there. I am sure the view off the 12th tee is unchanged.

Oxy

Yossarian
24th December 2010, 02:17 PM
We'll be down at Bunbury on the 6th as well, what time are you booked for?

Oxy
24th December 2010, 02:27 PM
We'll be down at Bunbury on the 6th as well, what time are you booked for?

12 o'clock. 1st group off.

There is some special comp they put on, in the arvo. My mate P.Williams and I are booked in. Would be great to catch up.

Oxy

Yossarian
24th December 2010, 02:33 PM
Ah, we are off at 8:30 I think...

Oxy
24th December 2010, 02:46 PM
Ah, we are off at 8:30 I think...

PM sent......

simmsy
24th December 2010, 05:10 PM
Yeah we are booked in for 8:30 to make the turn before comp.

Bruce Dickinson
24th December 2010, 05:24 PM
Thus far I have booked in at Dunsborough Lakes on 5 Jan and Bunbury 6 Jan.

I do have some mates whom want to show me a round or 2 in Perth as well so this will be a fun holiday.

I would love to play at my ol' club WAGC but we'll see.......it's been about 12 years since I was a member there. I am sure the view off the 12th tee is unchanged.

Oxy
The view hasn't changed on the 12th but the hole has

dean0820
24th December 2010, 05:47 PM
yep, dunsborough.
tell club captain brett house that robbo says you deserve a free drink or two.

gazgolf1
24th December 2010, 06:49 PM
Just sold a club to a bloke from Dunsborough.

dave1
24th December 2010, 11:20 PM
Busselton GC is a good track, but Bunbury is the pick of them in the south west.

Bunbury
Capel
Binningup
Busselton
Dunsborough Lakes
Margaret River isn't too bad either.

dunsborough for a resorts style course is actually fun to play...fair bit of water but much of it doesnt really come into play
Busso is great track...bit bogggy in winter
Margaret river is a nice track.....back nine is fun its built on the side of hill with few nasty dog legs....
Capel is nice
Bunbury is great course but I have to say this some of members and pro shop guys are a bit snobby..its the best course in that region so i suspect its a slightly elitest feel...that said play it if you can....the 10th at bunbury being a huge drop down par 3

picture of the 10th..this was an intertesting hole.....

http://www.bunburygolfclub.com.au/images/course/hole10_tee.jpg

places to see and things to besides golf in dunny area

caves at Yallinup, chocalte factory in margaret river...wineries galore...the caves hotel is a nice watering hole, some nice beaches also in summer

all in all a great place to play golf and visit

Myself and 7 othe guys play a toury each year and this year iwe chose dunny, capel margs and capes for the 4 round event in April

Johnny Canuck
24th December 2010, 11:41 PM
dave1, it seems you have issues with a lot of pro shop staff. they have always been fine for me at bunbury and the member's have all been friendly.

maybe they're scared of you because your pants look like their 70's carpet.

adlo
24th December 2010, 11:53 PM
If Bunbury is elitist you must be from the poorest part of earth. They are very easy going.

FYI, Bunbury is only 30 mins from Busso/Abbey Beach. Capel about 20. Binningup about 45.

MegaWatty
25th December 2010, 12:28 AM
Adlo = Elitist Pig.

Only Ozgolfer that can afford membership at Bunbury.

;)

adlo
25th December 2010, 12:34 AM
Shit. Outed.

Oxy
25th December 2010, 12:47 AM
That's awesome gouge...thanks to those who contributed.

Time to pack and catch a plane.

If I don't see u this time round, hopefully you all can make it to the OZ Golf Champs for 2011..... it's a hoot.

Merry Christmas.

Oxy

Oxy
25th December 2010, 12:51 AM
yep, dunsborough.
tell club captain brett house that robbo says you deserve a free drink or two.

Will do....... I look forward to a reaction.....

dave1
25th December 2010, 12:56 PM
Shit. Outed.

sorry if that offended you

I said some...played a few times.....fantatsic course...best greens I have played on in WA..dont mean too diss the joint

:lol:

dave1
25th December 2010, 01:00 PM
dave1, it seems you have issues with a lot of pro shop staff. they have always been fine for me at bunbury and the member's have all been friendly.

its odd ...I found WA customer service in general to be very poor...go to Mornington and then you get treated like royalty ..they make you feel important, they ask questions.....

WA in shops is the same.....and Im from here....even where I live in Albany its terrible in shops (even some of our pro shop guys arent good either) and ou main golf shop is shocking...

I think our isolation leads to that a bit

dave1
25th December 2010, 01:03 PM

only scret harbour.....they think its ok to rip people off to the max and dont like being challenged... the cusutomer has the right to ask why they charge per person per cart

idgolfguy
25th December 2010, 07:17 PM

its odd ...I found WA customer service in general to be very poor...go to Mornington and then you get treated like royalty ..they make you feel important, they ask questions.....

No disagreement here having experienced both.

Johnny Canuck
25th December 2010, 08:08 PM
Wa to me just seems laid back. Not rude, but they don't go out of their way to do anything more than required.

idgolfguy
25th December 2010, 08:24 PM
Sometimes less than required.

MegaWatty
26th December 2010, 01:42 AM
Brookwater remains the best customer service for me.

From the phone call to the farewell they were amazing.

dean0820
26th December 2010, 02:57 AM
in oz you get no service.
simply expect that and you are fine.
expect more and then whinge, you just sound like a blowhard.

dave1
26th December 2010, 04:02 PM
ok back to the thread

dunsborough lakes ....play it about 5 times

back nine has 3 par 5's

it has 3 sets of tees also.....for all levels of golf....nice greens....

capel is the hidden gem in that area

idgolfguy
26th December 2010, 05:17 PM
Played Dunsborough Country Club last Ozgolf venture, saw Nuffie mis a hole in one and JC make it.

Winter course with sand greens. Amazing layout and views. It would be a great course if developed.

Yossarian
26th December 2010, 09:51 PM
How much are the fees non GL at Bunbury? I'm pretty sure it is cheaper than Capel?

dave1
26th December 2010, 10:30 PM
Played Dunsborough Country Club last Ozgolf venture, saw Nuffie mis a hole in one and JC make it.

Winter course with sand greens. Amazing layout and views. It would be a great course if developed.

havent played that course only played Dunsbrough lakes which is grass greens

Johnny Canuck
26th December 2010, 11:28 PM
Design wise, the Dunsborough Country Club is 100 times better than Dunsborough Lakes. It's too bad about the conditioning. The Lakes is a fun track, pretty wide open and easy.

simmsy
27th December 2010, 01:58 AM
How much are the fees non GL at Bunbury? I'm pretty sure it is cheaper than Capel?

are you talking a walk up starter when you say non GL?
$45 at bunbury
i think it was $30 at capel

dave1
28th December 2010, 12:33 AM
Design wise, the Dunsborough Country Club is 100 times better than Dunsborough Lakes. It's too bad about the conditioning. The Lakes is a fun track, pretty wide open and easy.

what didnt you like about the course design of dunny lakes?

Johnny Canuck
28th December 2010, 02:18 AM
The comment was directed more at the greatness of the design of the country club.

The new par 5 on the back 9 of the Lakes is pretty bad and is really just a filler.

dave1
28th December 2010, 12:22 PM
The comment was directed more at the greatness of the design of the country club.

The new par 5 on the back 9 of the Lakes is pretty bad and is really just a filler.

agree see your point

that said its 28 bucks to play I think...it aint too difficult....you dont lose a shizen load of balls unless its blowing..the water is their for decoration

will have to cheack out coutry club when I go over in march

Yossarian
28th December 2010, 03:22 PM
Dave the country club is dirt fairways and sand greens, but the actual layout itself could be amazing with some water.

dave1
9th January 2011, 01:12 PM

ther was tidy barmaid at the lakes last time i was there...that will gte me there everytime

dean0820
9th January 2011, 02:46 PM
what is it with golf courses and tidy barmaids (are they still called that?)
seems every course has one these days. bloody good trend i reckon.

rubin
21st January 2011, 01:33 PM
ther was tidy barmaid at the lakes last time i was there...that will gte me there everytime

I hate to burst ur bubble fellas, but she is no longer there. She is now working up on the miens to save money.

She is my GF's cousin, and I didn't mind going down there to visit at ALL!

TourFit
21st January 2011, 03:57 PM
A tidy lookin' chick with work ethic and money saving tendencies....

PERFECT!

rubin
21st January 2011, 04:01 PM
A tidy lookin' chick with work ethic and money saving tendencies....

PERFECT!

And i forgot to mention, just before she left, she brought herself some new "assets".:shock: :mrgreen:

TourFit
21st January 2011, 04:03 PM
You're kidding me...? Not sure whether that makes her more perfect or not...

She's supposed to 'save' so that her new OzGolf BF can spend more money ho'ing.

rubin
21st January 2011, 04:04 PM
:smt038

Good luck to that though. Her current BF is a huge UNIT!

Johnny Canuck
22nd January 2011, 12:16 AM
:smt038

Good luck to that though. Her current BF has a huge UNIT!

How the hell do you know?

BayBum
23rd January 2011, 02:31 PM
Unit or Eunuch ?

rubin
24th January 2011, 12:18 PM
How the hell do you know?

word gets around :wink: