PDA

View Full Version : BrizVenice courses that stand up to the rain.

TheTrueReview
22nd December 2010, 01:05 PM
Bugger me if we haven't had a shyte load of rain in Brisbane in the last week. Now I see rain/drizzle, showers is predicted for the next 7 days. :( My local course will probably have become part of Moreton Bay by now.

I was wondering about the courses in Brizzie that have good drainage, would hold up okay & be playable if there's a break in the clouds.

Any thoughts guys?

ddasey
22nd December 2010, 01:12 PM
Bit north of Brissie but Bribie.

Sand base, handles the water well.

BroKar
22nd December 2010, 01:28 PM
My course is terrible at the moment, it should be classed as a swamp good old Wantima

ddasey
22nd December 2010, 01:31 PM
My course is terrible at the moment, it should be classed as a swamp good old Wantima

I played last Saturday.

Very damp underfoot indeed. Made for a long round.

AndyP
22nd December 2010, 02:49 PM
I played Wolston Park today and there wasn't any major problems with playing. The carts are ripping it up in places though.

Gailes would be better, as you know.

Tapatalk has been to paradise, but it's never been to me.

Moe Norman
22nd December 2010, 03:43 PM
Gailes is the best one I can think of, everything just rolls down the hills.

BGC was in magnificent condition yesterday, given recent rains.

sol381
22nd December 2010, 06:18 PM
played wantima today just 9 holes.. was a bit drier after the 2 fine days but still muddy as hell in places.. they let buggies on the course which was a big mistake.

henno
22nd December 2010, 06:29 PM
Pacific has a few "so-so" wet spots (before the creek on the first and just before the green on the second hole) but much like Gailes most of the water just drains off the hills and into Bulimba creek and away it goes. It is also (pretty much) fully pathed now, so no reason for carts to be tearing it up.

In saying that, I haven't played there in ages so I can't vouch for the condition of the course otherwise. But as SMS wisely stated in another thread, if you can't grow grass in the recent weather you have no business being a groundskeeper.

Jarro
22nd December 2010, 06:33 PM
Bribie would be the best due to the sand base.

Nudgee would be 2nd worst, after Reddy-Clay :p

Hux
22nd December 2010, 06:53 PM
The rising water table at Bribie will impact on low sections between fairways, a couple of cross fairway sections and ultimately into a few bunkers with the next four days of rain.

Ferrins
22nd December 2010, 07:06 PM
What about Redcliffe, played with a member today and he said it was OK.

MAZA68
22nd December 2010, 07:37 PM
A little further out, Hills seems to hold up well after a bit of rain. It certainly softens up the fairways and greens, makes it a little longer but a bit more playable.

Daves
11th January 2011, 10:53 PM
Well, I guess the reverse question now is which SEQ courses are going to go under water in the next few days and suffer long term damage;

1. Indro
2. BGC
3. RQ
4. Nudgee
5. Wolston Park
6. Keperra
7. Carbrook
8. River Lakes
9. Windaroo
10. Virginia

petethepilot
11th January 2011, 11:36 PM
Jindalee is good at the moment...

For FISHING!!!

Moe Norman
11th January 2011, 11:38 PM
Pretty much all of BGC is now under, and looking across from my place it appears that most of the river frontage holes (blue 9) at Indro are under as well.

markTHEblake
11th January 2011, 11:44 PM
Golf courses are very resilient though, and brisbane will be hit by slow rising and falling floods not surges, so apart from the bunkers should be playing on them within a couple of days. Emerald lakes was usually out for a max of 48 hours when it went completely under.

p.s. based on our experience at Wynnum last year in the rain, I would consider heading that way as it seems to hold up quite well.

Eag's
11th January 2011, 11:44 PM
I wonder how Brookwater is holding up?

timah!
11th January 2011, 11:52 PM
Windaroo had holes 10 and 12 underwater a fortnight ago. You couldn't get to the green on 16 on Thursday. It will be stuffed now. Same with mount Warren park. Luckiky I don't think the Albert river will rise enough to get to my house.

I supergoaled Tapatalk.

Eag's
11th January 2011, 11:55 PM
Here are a few more Dave.
1. Indro
2. BGC
3. RQ
4. Nudgee
5. Wolston Park
6. Keperra
7. Carbrook
8. River Lakes
9. Windaroo
10. Virginia
11. Wantima
12. Caboulture
13. Woodford

MegaWatty
12th January 2011, 12:06 AM
Oxley?

Marto65
12th January 2011, 09:03 AM
I drive past Virginia every day ... it looks ok ... would be playable this weekend I imagine.

I'm a member at Brisbane GC .... no hope there at all ..

Marto.

TheTrueReview
12th January 2011, 09:08 AM
I drive past Virginia every day ... it looks ok ... would be playable this weekend I imagine.

Marto.

Their website says the course is closed till Thursday.

Hopefully, this scene will be gone by the weekend.

http://www.virginia-golf.com.au/images/stories/photos/Floods/VirginiaLakes01.jpg

Daves
12th January 2011, 09:25 AM
Their website says the course is closed till Thursday.

Hopefully, this scene will be gone by the weekend.

http://www.virginia-golf.com.au/images/stories/photos/Floods/VirginiaLakes01.jpg

According to the Brisbane City Flood maps most of Virginia will go under at some stage.

Jarro
12th January 2011, 09:27 AM
I'm off to Nudgee for a hit today.

Who's with me ??

Daves
12th January 2011, 09:31 AM
Oxley?

From the flood maps, most of the course on the bottom side of the club house will be flooded, behind the club house seems like it will be OK.

1. Indro
2. BGC
3. RQ
4. Nudgee
5. Wolston Park
6. Keperra
7. Carbrook
8. River Lakes
9. Windaroo
10. Virginia
11. Wantima
12. Caboolture
13. Woodford
14. Jindalee
15. Mt Warren Park
16. Oxley

Daves
12th January 2011, 09:32 AM

Who's with me ??

At this stage the comp is on at Reddie Bay!

CobraSS
12th January 2011, 11:48 AM
From the flood maps, most of the course on the bottom side of the club house will be flooded, behind the club house seems like it will be OK.

1. Indro
2. BGC
3. RQ
4. Nudgee
5. Wolston Park
6. Keperra
7. Carbrook
8. River Lakes
9. Windaroo
10. Virginia
11. Wantima
12. Caboolture
13. Woodford
14. Jindalee
15. Mt Warren Park
16. Oxley

Woodford is accessible again, unlikely to be mowed for another week, but ok.

sms316
12th January 2011, 11:53 AM
Is it accessible by road?

kev
12th January 2011, 11:58 AM

Hasn't everyone is SEQ gone out and bought a tinnie by now? ;)

Ferrins
12th January 2011, 11:58 AM

Who's with me ??
Just need a punt with some artifical grass on the floor and we'll be right.

CobraSS
12th January 2011, 12:01 PM

Yes by road, Golfcourse Rd (the road that the course is on) was cut by One Mile Ck. You should be able to get to Woodford via Caboolture, won't be able to get here via Peachester as the Stanley River still cuts the h'wy on that side of town.

PeteyD
12th January 2011, 01:03 PM
Reddie Bay will be fine for play! Hardly any rain out here. If not for the disaster etc I would be playing in the comp today.

Daves
12th January 2011, 01:22 PM
Looks like flooding on the Logan River is going to be relatively minor, so Windyroo, Mt Warren Pk, River Lakes and Carbrook may not be too badly impacted.

Haydos
12th January 2011, 02:03 PM
I work at Jindalee... got word a couple of hours ago that water has reached the floor of the clubhouse and is rising steadily. I was also told water is close to the roof of the clubhouse at wolly park. Scary stuff

Lucasto23
12th January 2011, 02:29 PM
mate when's the last time you worked :)

Haydos
12th January 2011, 02:52 PM
I worked tuesday morning up until 11. Then was back there at 8pm evacuating the pro shop till about 10. Did u notice we won the ambrose without u the other week btw lucas :P

Lucasto23
12th January 2011, 03:52 PM
Shit mate, i hold the team back you know that :) Well done. Guess we won't be playing golf for ages now :(

MegaWatty
12th January 2011, 06:34 PM
Maybe the Carbrook Shark will finally get back to his family! Or perhaps they'll end up joining him.

Daves
12th January 2011, 07:09 PM
Maybe the Carbrook Shark will finally get back to his family! Or perhaps they'll end up joining him.

Only if he can do an awesome high jump like the Orca in Free Willy.

That is the irony of this flood, Whilst Brissy has been saturated in the last week, there hasn't been enough rain here for any more than minor to normal flooding in the scheme of things. The Logan river has only risen to minor flood levels at worst. All the water coming down the Brisbane River is coming from the Dam catchments that have had the most humongous falls of rain, almost beyond belief. The equivalent of the normal capacity of the Brissy dams has fallen in the catchments in under 24 hours! The post mortems of the event will be interesting and scary! The Gold Coast is almost unscathed as I understand it.

jaybam
12th January 2011, 07:29 PM
Will be interesting to see how Ipswich gc bounces back.

Hux
12th January 2011, 08:49 PM
Dave

Albert-Logan are totally separate catchments and get no influence from the Brisbane/Bremer.

We do have a bit of flooding impacting in parts of the Logan Rv at Mclean however will not be a big issue for the majority of the population as it comes down stream. The new Wyralong Dam saved a fair bit of grief between Xmas and New Year but is now at 100% and has no mitigation so is just sending it all downsteam. It only went to impoundment ie storing water on 15 Dec and is already 100%!!!

Albert Rv is fine.

Carbrook/Riverlakes/Windaroo will only be affected by actual rainfall based on what I am getting.

Daves
12th January 2011, 09:00 PM
Looks like we can add Corinda G C to our list;

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?op=1&view=global&subj=138403559554005&pid=1583691&id=1638251700&oid=138403559554005http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1376.snc4/164806_1496019605647_1388793523_31067719_3075458_n .jpg

Eag's
12th January 2011, 09:57 PM
I had a good look at Wantima today and apart from some very soggy fairways, the course looks quite good.

PeteyD
12th January 2011, 10:06 PM
Hux/Dave, can you let us know if you get some idea of when we might be able to get back into Goodna, if and when you know? Mum's house is totally under (near the river).

Hux
12th January 2011, 11:00 PM
Petey

The advice this morning from hyrodologists is that they don't want to get fixed on things but it may stay above 5m for 12-24hrs. Which makes it Friday/Saturday at best.

After that there will be a need to ensure people are going back into safe areas....power will not be back on until powerboards etc are checked.

It will be a few days before anything really firm comes out.

MegaWatty
12th January 2011, 11:03 PM
I wonder how Brookwater is holding up?

Is BV away?

razaar
12th January 2011, 11:39 PM
I had a good look at Wantima today and apart from some very soggy fairways, the course looks quite good.

It may seem that it is not too bad Richard, but it is unplayable and may be for a week if the rain holds off. The greens are fantastic without any traffic over them.:)

Eag's
13th January 2011, 12:44 AM
You don't have to tell me Ray I was a member there remember?
It just looks a lot better than I expected.

Jarro
13th January 2011, 07:39 AM
I went out and had a look at Nudgee yesterday at 4pm and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as i thought.

PeteyD
13th January 2011, 07:47 AM
Petey

The advice this morning from hyrodologists is that they don't want to get fixed on things but it may stay above 5m for 12-24hrs. Which makes it Friday/Saturday at best.

After that there will be a need to ensure people are going back into safe areas....power will not be back on until powerboards etc are checked.

It will be a few days before anything really firm comes out.

Thanks Craig. I guess early next week before power is back with all the checks that need to be done.

troyboy
13th January 2011, 07:02 PM
so strange seeing corinda golf course looking like that. used to play there alot.

Marto65
13th January 2011, 07:44 PM
Could be a few weeks before Brisbane GC is playable again ... reports are that the water came up to the top of the driving area on the 12th !!

Thanks to RQ who have given the BGC members some times on this Sat and Sun. Missed out on the Sat ..... dang.

I have a mate that took some photos .. I've asked him to send them to me...

Marto.

TheTrueReview
13th January 2011, 09:46 PM
Some photos of Virginia Golf Course (http://www.virginia-golf.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=447&itemid=34) from the past few days.

http://www.virginia-golf.com.au/images/stories/photos/Floods2011/VGCFloods2011-15.jpg

henno
13th January 2011, 09:47 PM
The title of this thread should be amended to reflect Brisbane's new name: BrisVenice.

Marto65
14th January 2011, 10:00 AM
Some photos of Virginia Golf Course (http://www.virginia-golf.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=447&itemid=34) from the past few days.

http://www.virginia-golf.com.au/images/stories/photos/Floods2011/VGCFloods2011-15.jpg

I'm pretty sure that was taken about a week ago... their back nine is right for play today.

As they say on their website ... they aren't part of the Brisbane River system ... and Downfall Creek went down 2-3 days ago.

They'll play this weekend ..

Daves
14th January 2011, 10:07 AM
I'm pretty sure that was taken about a week ago... their back nine is right for play today.

As they say on their website ... they aren't part of the Brisbane River system ... and Downfall Creek went down 2-3 days ago.

They'll play this weekend ..

Webpage link says they were taken Tuesday 11th January. You may well be right that they will be open on the weekend, but it is going to be real soggy. Particularly holes like the 6th, which they usually have to move the tee right forward and turn into a par 3.

BrisVegas
14th January 2011, 10:25 AM
Hi, it's been a while.... Brooky should be playable for the Saturday comp tomorrow. They closed the course yesterday and today to cleanup and repair bunkers etc. The 15th and 16th holes went under during the peak of the rain on Tuesday, but no river-flooding here. Woogaroo Creek runs through the course, but it's far enough upstream that it didn't get a flood surge.

peter_rs
14th January 2011, 10:41 AM
I went out and had a look at Nudgee yesterday at 4pm and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as i thought.

Comp today is off but the sat field is near full.

henno
14th January 2011, 11:02 AM
Pacific is closed for the weekend and most of next week.

Jarro
14th January 2011, 11:19 AM
Comp today is off but the sat field is near full.

We still playing Sunday ?

peter_rs
14th January 2011, 11:21 AM
50-50 if it doesn't rain and stays hots.

peter_rs
14th January 2011, 02:41 PM
comp is now a siingle stab sweepstakes on the south course.

Jarro
14th January 2011, 03:47 PM
What the hell is that ?!?
And are you guys gonna play ?
comp is now a siingle stab sweepstakes on the south course.

Tapa-mafia member

just
14th January 2011, 03:51 PM
If you blokes play I will.

nudgee
14th January 2011, 04:08 PM
make sure you take lots of pinnacle balls - nice and cheap and the shitiest par of shoes you have as the course will be absolute crap

Does anyone know if Gailes is OK?

Jarro
14th January 2011, 04:53 PM
If you blokes play I will.

yeah i'll play mate ..... i mean, how bad can the South Course be ?

:smt087

Marto65
14th January 2011, 05:23 PM
10246 Here is a photo taken yesterday, looking back down the 18th fairway at Brisbane Golf Club.
I'm going there on Sunday to help the clean-up.

The other photo was also taken yesterday. This was the view from the driving area on 12, looking towards the markets.

Hux
14th January 2011, 07:24 PM
Wynnum is apparently open for 13 holes.

sms316
14th January 2011, 07:31 PM
Pelican Waters is not only open, but carts are allowed on the fairways for holes 1-14. Amazing how quick it has come back.

BrisWesty
14th January 2011, 07:48 PM
Caboolture is open for holes 1-12. The bridges over Wararba Creek are not so good at the moment.

MegaWatty
14th January 2011, 08:24 PM
What sort of damage would RQ have suffered from this?

sms316
14th January 2011, 08:25 PM

Somewhere between SFA and minimal.

Daves
14th January 2011, 10:59 PM

From what I saw on the coverage, minimal flood intrusion onto the riverside holes. One of the ironies of the Brissy River is it can flood big time at the city and above, but there is virtually no rise at all at the mouth 20kms away.

Daves
14th January 2011, 11:05 PM
We played Reddie Bay this arvo. It was preferred lies through the green, but honesty was only needed to clean your ball, the lies were fine. The greens are firm, almost bouncy. They are struggling to keep up with the mowing, as would most courses in Brisbane. And some of the low points, where water has been laying are still too soggy, and have been left unmown so far. The rough is getting tigerish to a degree. Without any further rain, the course is going to be in superb condition next week.

PeteyD
15th January 2011, 12:26 AM
Hoping to play Reddy on Sunday. If I can move!

Daves
16th January 2011, 12:23 PM
Looking at Nearmaps, McLeod took the full brunt of the flood and was almost totally covered!. The high water mark is half way across the 18th green, just in front of the clubhouse.

Marto65
16th January 2011, 02:59 PM
Went out cleaning up Brisbane Golf Club this morning ... dead fish and eels everywhere .. will be a good 6-8 weeks before there is any play there. Still ... it's not someones home, it's just a golf course.
There have been some very kind offers from some of the other courses around, including tee times and the use of grounds staff (one interstate club of note offered 2 employees..). a big thank you ... you're AWESOME !!!!
Marto.

markTHEblake
16th January 2011, 03:58 PM
What is the reason for taking so long to be ready for play again. Having not seen the courses first hand I am only able to compare with the Gold Coast floodplain courses which I have seen completely under water many times, particularly Emerald Lakes and Colonial. These courses were back in play 2-3 days the water drained away. I recall one instance where Emerald Lakes was flooded up to the clubhouse steps on Tuesday, and the QLD PGA started on Friday. Different type of flooding?

markTHEblake
16th January 2011, 07:27 PM
Ok, i take that question back, just saw something on the news, its all the mud isn't it. Would seem that the floods we get down here are mostly 'clean' water.

PeteyD
16th January 2011, 10:41 PM
The mud is feral and sticky and 4-5" deep. Footage of fireman hosing it off lawns next to the river tonight was pretty amazing.

golfbound
16th January 2011, 10:49 PM
Queensland Amputee Golf have been up feeding all the voluteers today..... 800 sausage sanga's , 400 lamingtons 200 cup cakes $100 worth of fruit and 400 bottles of water were given out :)

golfbound
16th January 2011, 10:56 PM
Could have done with alot more water but our budget isnt that big we dont have many donations in the bank and are struggling to find player to help fund our state and national champs (our 2 major sponsors pulled out 1 went bust $15k behind now) but we still managed to find $1000 to buy food to feed the volunteers. wish we could afford to do more. Amputees can't lift much but can cook!!!!!!!!
And yes was at Mcleod today its a mess they scraped and hosed off the greens but the mud is so thick its not funny.

razaar
17th January 2011, 10:28 AM
I've knocked up a great before and after photo of mcleod from nearmap that they can hang up on their wall.
Hoping to knock up another couple for Indoo and BGC too.
McLeod is just insane..its about 90% under.
Great stuff Dick.

Your post reminded me to check on the history of McLeod G C in my library. During the 1974 event, there were five greens above the flood waters during the five days the course was submerged. The flood occurred in late January and the course was re-opened for play on the 22 Feb.

It also mentions Brisane GC where a house ready for removal floated on to the 16th tee. Two railway wagons loaded with grain and a semi-trailer full of margarine also found their way on to the course.

TheTrueReview
17th January 2011, 11:37 AM

That's surprising. I thought McLeod had a good system of dykes there. ;)

bluprint
17th January 2011, 02:32 PM
How did RQ fair?

poidda
17th January 2011, 02:59 PM
How did RQ fair?

Looked OK driving over the bridge this morning. The river is about twice as wide there as it is in the city, so much more room for the water.

PeteyD
17th January 2011, 03:32 PM
A ittle inundation on 15 and 16 was it for RQ.

TourFit
17th January 2011, 03:35 PM
The title of this thread should be amended to reflect Brisbane's new name: BrisVenice.

Funnily enough the water will be about the same colour...

Marto65
17th January 2011, 03:40 PM
RQ played a 17 hole course on the weekend.

I think once the river banks actually broke, the water flooded Fairfield and Rocklea and Goodna instead of travelling further down the Brisbane River.

And yeah ... the mud is very thick in parts .. it took about 30 people and two hoses about an hour on each green to clear them of the mud.

TourFit
17th January 2011, 04:10 PM
Could have done with a lot more water....

LOL...wasn't that the problem in the first place? ;)

Haydos
17th January 2011, 05:36 PM
I've knocked up a great before and after photo of mcleod from nearmap that they can hang up on their wall.
Hoping to knock up another couple for Indoo and BGC too.

If it isn't too hard can you do one of Jindalee Golf Club that I could take in as well. We have an overhead shot of the '74 floods in the clubhouse that survived and it would be nice to compare it to that.

Hux
17th January 2011, 08:25 PM
Bribie is not inundated by flood waters but the course is closed and will remain closed for some time due to teh water table being up so high. Apparently there is SFA they can do to fix it other than a major fix with fill etc. Essentially they will have to do something as they have made zero $ in income since before Xmas.

Pac Harbour has a deal for Bribie Members of $99 membership until end of Feb which is a pretty good deal. You have to walk but it costs only comp fees to play which seems like a pretty good deal. First game as a "member" of Pacific Harbour is on Saturday I think :-)

And DAMN GOOD of the Pacific Harbour management to extend this to Bribie Island members....WELL DONE.

Eag's
17th January 2011, 08:28 PM
Yep they deserve a pat on the back for that move, good on them.

markTHEblake
17th January 2011, 08:31 PM
So how does a golf club get so much mud off the fairways? I saw on the news some golfers sweeping the greens off with brooms, i cant imagine they would do that to the whole golf course - or would they.

markTHEblake
17th January 2011, 08:39 PM

I see a few hills under water, like 3rd, 9th. Is it possible that any golf course has had a higher water level than that?

sms316
17th January 2011, 08:48 PM
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo272/gollfer69/Flood%202011/McleodfloodphotoA3copy.jpg
A vast improvement.

That's surprising. I thought McLeod had a good system of dykes there. ;)
Said dykes wouldn't know too much about getting wet though.

Ferrins
17th January 2011, 09:04 PM
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo272/gollfer69/Flood%202011/McleodfloodphotoA3copy.jpg

There must of been heaps of critters in that spooky tower near the 17th tee.

Marto65
17th January 2011, 11:46 PM
So how does a golf club get so much mud off the fairways? I saw on the news some golfers sweeping the greens off with brooms, i cant imagine they would do that to the whole golf course - or would they.

We were basically using a pump to get water on to the greens to wet the dried mud, then using bunker rakes and squeegy mops (like a big window wiper) to get the mud and water off. I was told they will probably just mow the mud into the ground ...

Lucasto23
18th January 2011, 04:55 PM
So who wants to host me for some golf games, jindalee is still under water :(

Haydos
18th January 2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks g69 thats awesome!

Daves
18th January 2011, 06:34 PM
Some pretty amazing photos on the Wolston Park G C web site;

http://www.wolstonparkgolf.org.au/

And they hope to have 10 holes open for a comp by tomorrow. That is simply an awesome effort!.

Ferrins
18th January 2011, 06:53 PM

I'll hook up with you for a knock somewhere around Brissy. Thunder storms next few days.

Lucasto23
18th January 2011, 09:51 PM
I'll hook up with you for a knock somewhere around Brissy. Thunder storms next few days.
we'll organize a chopfest soon enough mate

markTHEblake
18th January 2011, 10:51 PM

Stuff the golf and come down here and get a lesson from Elks coach on saddie. Beer and 9 at Royal Helensvale afterwards.

turboalfa
19th January 2011, 10:33 AM
I can't beleive nobody has mentioned North Lakes. It has to be one of the best wet weather courses around. They have had carts on since last week. Course is in fantastic condition. Booked through Iseek golf and got round and cart for $42.50

PeteyD
19th January 2011, 12:43 PM
North Lakes has no love here. Most think it is a polished turd at best.

Eag's
19th January 2011, 12:48 PM
I like Northlakes and most people I talk to also like the course, there are a few on here who hate the joint though.

PeteyD
19th January 2011, 12:51 PM
I'd never include you in most Eags :D

I have not enjoyed it when I played it. Should probably give it a bash again, but not with how I am playing at the moment.

Lucasto23
19th January 2011, 01:10 PM
I like Northlakes and most people I talk to also like the course, there are a few on here who hate the joint though.

i agree, it's punishing for sure but does make you hit it straight very often :)

Jarro
19th January 2011, 01:29 PM
Northlakes is a great course

henno
19th January 2011, 01:34 PM
I love Northlakes about as much as I'd love my ADHD ginger step child. Sure, I'll do my best to enjoy it... but only because I'm forced to.

BrisVegas
19th January 2011, 02:11 PM
I can't beleive nobody has mentioned North Lakes. It has to be one of the best wet weather courses around. They have had carts on since last week. Course is in fantastic condition. Booked through Iseek golf and got round and cart for $42.50

Hey Troy, how's things champ? Hope you and your family have escaped the flooding ok.

$42.50 in a cart is a bargain and a half. Brooky was closed for a couple of days last week as the 15th and 16th went under water.

just
19th January 2011, 02:22 PM
Northlakes isn't in Brisbane.

Marto65
19th January 2011, 05:53 PM
I'm taking advantage of the Palm Meadows offer this weekend. Cant wait for a game ... I've had 2 games in the last 8 weeks.

Jarro
19th January 2011, 06:11 PM
Northlakes isn't in Brisbane.

Trust you to pick up on a technicality :roll:

MegaWatty
19th January 2011, 08:26 PM
This Scoopon deal seemed a bit better than iSeek's online booking:

Tee for two! Just $85 for 18 holes for you and a buddy at the exclusive North Lakes Resort Golf Club! Includes golf cart + club sandwich OR nachos + glass of beer OR wine!

dc68
19th January 2011, 08:53 PM
North Lakes has no love here. Most think it is a polished turd at best.

Polished?.... PFFFFFT!!!

jaybam
19th January 2011, 09:18 PM
Ipswich will be back to full 18 this weekend. Will be interested to see how its pulled through.

henno
19th January 2011, 09:18 PM
Tee for two! Just $85 for 18 holes for you and a buddy at the exclusive North Lakes Resort Golf Club! Includes golf cart + club sandwich OR nachos + glass of beer OR wine!

They pay me $85 bucks and give me nachos and a beer? Meh, still not worth it.

MegaWatty
19th January 2011, 09:32 PM
Really that bad? Is there a thread around that explains all the reasons so I can jump out of this one?

henno
19th January 2011, 09:36 PM
Don't listen to me. It's just my completely subjective and unqualified view. The course is always in good nick, so it's no goat track. I just hate it.

MegaWatty
19th January 2011, 09:37 PM
So do plenty of others I believe.

dc68
19th January 2011, 09:43 PM
You play the same hole 3 times....

henno
19th January 2011, 09:45 PM
You play the same hole 3 times....

^^^ This.

Seriously, six and ten are the same damn hole. So much so that when I first played there, when we took off to play the back nine I honestly thought I got lost and ended up back at the 6th.

timah!
19th January 2011, 09:46 PM
I like it. As henno said it's always in great nick.

I supergoaled Tapatalk.

Marto65
21st January 2011, 10:25 PM
Here is the latest report from Brisbane Golf Club.

1st Hole - top half fine, bottom half needs to be left so it can dry out.
2nd Hole - The tee was hosed off Tuesday (18th), more needed. The fairway where it floods off Fairfield Rd could become an issue with a lot of burn. The green has progressed well with colour coming back. The sand in the new bunkers has washed away which is just a matter of replacing it.
3rd Hole - The tee has minor issues with silt. The fairway is a major issue with the flood waters only subsiding Tuesday (18th) and the silt left is like axle grease not like mud. This fairway will need a lot of time hosing off once the pumps are up and going. The green is displaying good colour.
4th Hole - The tee is fine but the fairway could become a major issue with the silt left behind being like the axle grease texture. The green is displaying a green tinge and is the major concern as to not surviving.
5th Hole - The tee is covered with inch thick silt which needs to be focused on. The fairway is the wettest and the green is showing good colour.
6th Hole - The tee is fine; but the fairway is covered with silt. The green is displaying good colour. (We have 3 semi –trailers in the creek on the right hand side, one of those semi’s has a prime mover still attached).
7th Hole - The tee has a small amount of silt on it. Both the fairway and the green are coming good.
8th Hole - The tee has a small amount of silt. The fairway gets better higher towards the fairway trap. The green is yellowing a little around the collar but is displaying good colour.
9th Hole - The tee is fine. That part of the fairway down in the gully is of concern. The green is fine, not flooded. The rough between the Driving Range and the 9th has been hand mowed.
10th Hole – The tee is fine. The fairway has dried out well through the gully and the green is fine. Only the rough in front of the tee was flooded
11th Hole - The tee is fine and the fairway has dried out well. The hole was not flooded
12th Hole - it has major issues with silt. Over the hill, the water level was quite high here and the fairway is very wet. The bridges look fine but will be checked. There is significant debris being gathered around this area.
13th Hole – The tee has major issues with silt. The water level was quite high here and the fairway has been affected badly. We need to keep hosing to keep the sediment away. The green is our second major concern as to survival.
14th Hole – the tee, fairway and green are all fine.
15th Hole – The green has to be re-stolonised. The fairway is fine and the new bunkers and pond are all good.
16th Hole- The green has to be re-stolonised; but the fairway is fine. All work is structurally good
17th Hole – basically it is a disaster near the bridge. The ladies tee is covered in an inch of silt. The fairway up to the fairway traps on the right hand side is not faring well. The green is not too bad and has about 60% color.
18th Hole - The tee is fine. The fairway is drying out and cutting will begin when the weather permits. The green is good.
Old 12th Hole- Two fuel tanks from the Machinery Shed have come to rest on the top of the hill. They have been checked by the Fire Brigade for safety. A request has been lodged with the Brisbane City Council and the Fire Brigade for assistance removing the tanks from the site – it will probably need a large military style helicopter. The rest of the hole went under and needs to dry out for further inspection. The green is good.
Old 11th Hole - the fairway is a concern regarding the silt; will need to hose the fairway when we can get water tanks close enough. The Green has a good colour coming through.
Old 13th Hole – tee covered in mud whilst the green is of similar concern as 17.
Bunkers generally – all new bunkers came through with no damage; but the remainder will need rectification with many needing reconstruction.
Machinery Shed – went completely under. Most heavy machinery and gators were moved to high ground otherwise basically everything destroyed. All that is left is a shell. Temporarily the course staff and equipment will be relocated to west of the 12th tee with one of the adjacent houses to be rented for use by the staff.
Pumps, control panel and satellite boxes – all destroyed. Thus no water to automatically irrigate the greens and the course for months until replaced. No hand watering using the course water until temporary pumps are in place which will take at least a week. Water tanker has been obtained but can’t be transported around the course and used for all greens etc until the course dries out.
Water supply to course – other than the lake on the fifth, the water on the course cannot be used as it contains raw sewerage, oil, diesel and other effluent. Rain is needed to flush all this out of the system.
General Hardware around the course – items such as sand bins, tee markers, flags etc have been washed away

Now to some frequently asked questions over the last week:

Where to from here? The primary focus is to get the Course into some form of playability even on a piecemeal basis ,that is, when a hole becomes available it will come into play for the members to use. Thus if there are three or four holes in good enough condition they will be open to play. Some holes may involve temporary tees or greens. For example it was hoped to open holes 1, 18, 10, 11 and the top of 12 this weekend – but the 150 ml of rain over the last couple of days has put paid to that. Also, if even one hole can accommodate motorised carts, then that hole will be open to them. Please monitor the website for updated information.
You want to be back playing and the Club wants you back playing – so that is the focus.

How long before we are back playing the full 18 holes with no temporary greens or tees? This is the great unknown. Estimates have ranged from four to six to eight weeks. The problem here is that not only does it depend on getting the right machinery in place and manpower; but also it depends on the weather and the forecast for the next two months is not encouraging - basically it is for rain.
Can I come out to inspect the course? For safety reasons, access to the Golf Course is closed to all Members and Associates until further notice. There is still water lying in the lower parts of the course which could contain untreated sewerage and unseen dangerous objects. Many of the paths are still coated in mud and are very slippery to walk on (as some volunteers found last weekend) whilst many of the fairways and rough are muddy and difficult to walk on.

MegaWatty
21st January 2011, 10:40 PM
Holy shit! I am speechless. All the best to everyone at BGC.

TheTrueReview
22nd January 2011, 12:17 AM
I looked at the 18th on the North Course at Nudgee yesterday. Green was nice but fairway decidedly brown looking from flooding. Perhaps a week without rain till it looks like old?

just
22nd January 2011, 06:06 AM
I was talking to a colleague at work who has just returned to Brisbane and joined Indro and he was saying he thought that the holes affected at Indro were worse than some of those at Brisbane because the flow of water was slower and so the silt was thicker on the fairways. I haven't seen either so anyone who has know? Either way they are both in a bad way.

Eag's
22nd January 2011, 09:18 AM
6th Hole - The tee is fine; but the fairway is covered with silt. The green is displaying good colour. (We have 3 semi –trailers in the creek on the right hand side, one of those semi’s has a prime mover still attached).

**** me!! :shock:

PeteyD
22nd January 2011, 10:04 PM
Probably these ones

Trucks in creek (http://www.nearmap.com/?q=@-27.536083,153.008979&ll=-27.536083,153.008979&z=18&t=k&nmd=20110113)

AndyP
24th January 2011, 08:17 AM
FLOOD UPDATE!!!!

Saturday Golf 22nd January 2011
18 holes comp (2 x 9 holes)
Tee times from 6am. Members Only til 1pm.
Drinks Cart on course and drinks also available from the Clubhouse from 10am.

It's good to see they had a normal Saturday comp. Any golf is better than no golf.

AndyP
26th January 2011, 10:39 AM
I ran past McLeod GC today and the front nine has mud all over it, but the greens look okay. I was then surprised to see that they were playing on the back nine. Their website (http://www.mcleodgolf.com.au/) tells me that they played for the first time today in an 8 hole ambrose.

Here's an update from the course superintendent: http://www.mcleodsuperintendent.blogspot.com/

TheTrueReview
26th January 2011, 12:13 PM
I'm reliably informed that in the clean up at Brisbane Golf Club the other day, they pulled out (of a full bunker) large bream, eels, catfish, large mullet & a small bullshark. All deposited into the dam there.

MegaWatty
26th January 2011, 12:16 PM
A shark in a Brisbane golf course. Can't they think of something new? ;)

Marto65
29th January 2011, 06:54 AM
Brisbane Golf Club ... back playing the full 18 holes today .... not expecting great conditions ... but we have a course...

Daves
1st February 2011, 10:16 AM
Some pretty stark photos on this link of the badly flood damaged course!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agcsa

AndyP
16th February 2011, 11:59 AM
I've just got off the phone to Wolston Park's captain. He is heading down to look at the course today to determine whether the comp will use the 18 holes this Saturday. If not, it will most likely be available for the following weekend.