PDA

View Full Version : Balls: Quirky habits.

Ferrins
8th December 2010, 11:03 AM
I use a new ball each round but there is no way I'll put another new one into play.

The first shot with the new ball must be off the 1st tee( or 10th tee it that's the 1st hole ), use a different ball for pre round putts.

macjackass
8th December 2010, 11:13 AM
I don't use a new ball on the first tee if i play at my home course.
If I"m having a social round and using a new ball I won't hit a sand or lob wedge with it, I'll swap it for a beat up one.

Eag's
8th December 2010, 11:15 AM
I use a new ball every round, if it is lost, I will pull out another newbie no probs.

Captain Nemo
8th December 2010, 11:16 AM
I always wear undies, no boxers for me!:smt023

just
8th December 2010, 11:21 AM
I cover mine in vaseline. Helps protect them.

Ferrins
8th December 2010, 11:21 AM
Each of my x wives have one of my balls in a jar on the mantle piece.

Ferrins
8th December 2010, 11:23 AM
I cover mine in vaseline. Helps protect them.

Papaw ointment would be better for the environment, taking into account the number of times your end up in the waterways.

Moe Norman
8th December 2010, 12:20 PM
I am the same Ferrins, although sometimes I have to get another new one out during the round if I don't have any old ones in the bag.

BayBum
8th December 2010, 02:20 PM
Hardly ever use new balls at home.Knee high fescue & a avg of 40kph winds dont make for good times.Anywhere else...defo.

Suck it PerryGroves !!!:lol:;)

Scottt
8th December 2010, 02:27 PM
Which course do you play Baybum? Pram?

macjackass
8th December 2010, 02:32 PM

Sounds like it.

Moe Norman
8th December 2010, 02:52 PM
could be many courses in and around Wellington with that description.

BayBum
8th December 2010, 03:53 PM

Sounds like it.

Shiiiiiiite i wish !!! :) I play at Titahi,toughest 9 hole course around bru ! The rough is similar to Pram's but 3x the wind on a decent day.

http://www.titahigolf.com/

dean0820
8th December 2010, 04:00 PM
i don't write on my balls, just use the name/number as an alighment guide, square to the hole.
for uphill putts, i have the number nearest the hole and for downhill, the number away from the hole.

Eldrick
8th December 2010, 04:03 PM
on the tee or when aligning a putt i make sure the writing on the ball is upside down at address

davepuppies
8th December 2010, 04:51 PM
i use new balls on 1st tee, seconds if i lose the new one. i put 3 red dots on each side of ball. I make sure the name and number is facing up when playing a shot, or use the alignment stamp when putting

Moe Norman
8th December 2010, 06:22 PM
Shiiiiiiite i wish !!! :) I play at Titahi,toughest 9 hole course around bru ! The rough is similar to Pram's but 3x the wind on a decent day.

http://www.titahigolf.com/

bugger, well don't expect to here from Scottt again ;)

Great track though, I had a hit there when I lived in Palmy and playing for the mighty Mana!

so many hidden gems between Wanganui and Wellington

WBennett
8th December 2010, 06:38 PM
I mark 3 balls before the round - 2 with my purple dots and one provisional with the same dots but in orange pen.

The way I have been playing lately, by the 4th hole I am using the orange one for the rest of the round.

Playing at Mt Broughton this weekend, I will bring 67 assorted rocks with no sadness when I lose them all.

As for new balls, only when I have won them as a prize. Everything else is used from Squizzy's.

Dotty
8th December 2010, 07:08 PM
Three dots beside the number, on the same side as the model-name/alignment line. (Usually one trio above manufacturer's name and one trio below, to maximise odds of identifying the ball, without having to mark and move it.)

Either red or green dots, as that is the only two coloured markers at home that haven't dried out.

Never mix the colours, or else someone might think I care about the Rabbitohs.

Tee-up with the manufacturer's name at the rear.

If replacing the ball to putt, then manufacturer's names to the side and alignment aid on the bottom, to maximise the plain white look. (And it rolls truer, since it doesn't roll over the parts of the ball that I've knocked out of shape with '85mph of driving fury'. ;) )

LarryLong
8th December 2010, 07:10 PM
I always use a new ball on the first tee, and sometimes I will throw another one in there if I lose a ball on the first 6 holes or so. Later in the round I will use a ball from a previous round, but lately I don't seem to be keeping many balls for 18 holes for this purpose! I have used most of a box and a half of vision uv balls over the last six months, and a quick look at my bag tells me that I don't have a single bright yellow ball in there anymore.

I've never bothered to draw on a ball (except for a social round once where I bought balls for my partners and wrote 'hacker' on them before handing them out) but Benno's idea is a good one. I never take any notice of what's facing where when I put the ball on the tee, and I don't use the line on the ball for putting - that's one of my pet hates, actually.

Goldy
8th December 2010, 08:11 PM
When I'm on a course where I'm less inclined to lose balls (i.e. no water), I'll use the Callaway Tour ix. Alignment line, Thats my ball bullseye x3.

On a course where I'm likely to lose em, I use $1 rocks or old balls. Same markings.

Onewood
8th December 2010, 08:31 PM
I always use a new ball on the first tee, and sometimes I will throw another one in there if I lose a ball on the first 6 holes or so. Later in the round I will use a ball from a previous round, but lately I don't seem to be keeping many balls for 18 holes for this purpose! I have used most of a box and a half of vision uv balls over the last six months, and a quick look at my bag tells me that I don't have a single bright yellow ball in there anymore.

I've never bothered to draw on a ball (except for a social round once where I bought balls for my partners and wrote 'hacker' on them before handing them out) but Benno's idea is a good one. I never take any notice of what's facing where when I put the ball on the tee, and I don't use the line on the ball for putting - that's one of my pet hates, actually.
I'm with you Larry - you spend so much time lining up the bloody line you forget to do the basics, get the ball in the hole :)
New ball every round.

AndyP
8th December 2010, 08:31 PM
Are you going to get the ball in the hole if you aren't aligned properly?

LarryLong
8th December 2010, 08:55 PM
Are you going to get the ball in the hole if you aren't aligned properly?

By hitting it there, of course.

Why do you need a tiny little line on the ball to tell you where the hole is? It's right over there!

AndyP
8th December 2010, 09:06 PM
I was going to look at your putting stats, LL, but I need a Golfshot login to view it apparently. It's a tool to assist in alignment, similar to focusing on a point on the ground in front of the ball for alignment for other shots.

I'd be interested to see the numbers of pros that do and don't use an alignment line on their golf ball.

As for the topic, I don't use new balls. I use a ball until I lose it.

Onewood
8th December 2010, 09:06 PM
I find I push the ball if I have a line, I would rather trust my read. You don't draw a line on IT do you to get it in the hole :)

Courty
8th December 2010, 09:20 PM
on the tee or when aligning a putt i make sure the writing on the ball is upside down at address

Heh, I do that to. I justify it to myself by thinking that if it's the right way up, I may attempt to read it which will distract me from my several dozen swing thoughts. :roll:

Courty
8th December 2010, 09:26 PM
I will start the round with whatever I finished my previous one with. I'm not superstitious as far as that goes. However, if I lose a ball midway through the round, if the replacement ball doesn't already have my markings on it, I won't put my markings on it. It's a bad omen as everytime I've done that in the past, I've lost it almost straight away.

LarryLong
8th December 2010, 09:28 PM
I was going to look at your putting stats, LL, but I need a Golfshot login to view it apparently. It's a tool to assist in alignment, similar to focusing on a point on the ground in front of the ball for alignment for other shots.

I'd be interested to see the numbers of pros that do and don't use an alignment line on their golf ball.

As for the topic, I don't use new balls. I use a ball until I lose it.

While I was writing that I was wondering if you would remember that the only time you've seen me putt was when I missed a 3-footer on the last at St Andrews Beach. :)

I find I push the ball if I have a line, I would rather trust my read. You don't draw a line on IT do you to get it in the hole :)

:lol:

I'm sure we've all three-putted before!

KristianJ
8th December 2010, 09:30 PM
Sometimes I mark my ball by colouring in all the closed letters and numbers where they're large enough (usually only if I'm using a Srixon, since the O's usually big enough to be coloured in).

Johnny Canuck
8th December 2010, 10:15 PM
I will start the round with whatever I finished my previous one with. I'm not superstitious as far as that goes. However, if I lose a ball midway through the round, if the replacement ball doesn't already have my markings on it, I won't put my markings on it. It's a bad omen as everytime I've done that in the past, I've lost it almost straight away.

+1

Tongueboy
9th December 2010, 06:23 AM
quirky ain't the word. i just grab one out of the bag.

Lagerlover
9th December 2010, 10:21 PM
I draw ears on mine. If you're going to curse it, make sure it can hear you.

senecio
10th December 2010, 07:42 AM
No superstitions here. I don't buy new, AAA seconds to keep the cost down. I hit it until I lose it, then grab another one. Surprisingly my current ball is 2.5 rounds old, but it will still be hit on the first tee tomorrow.

IanO
10th December 2010, 10:12 AM
I scuff a ball up so much that it never lasts more than a round. I always colour in 4 dimples, 2 on each side of the direction arrow and towards each end.

Yossarian
11th December 2010, 12:53 AM
I like balls.

mUTHA
14th December 2010, 02:55 PM
i use a new ball every round.
and depending the time iof season eg beginning or end i may change at the turn due to it being FUBAR

only bought 4 balls over the winter season, won the rest