PDA

View Full Version : NO DOZE and Golf.....

terryand
1st June 2005, 02:54 PM
It got me thinking about this when 69’er joked to Choppa before their matchplay on the weekend that he had taken a couple of no doze before the game.

With all the talk around ATM about No Doze and sportsman taking it for performance enhancing reasons, got me thinking would this really help us golfers or would it have a negative affect on our game (performance).

To me I don't think it would be beneficial to be bouncing off the walls or have your head buzzing when you want to put a good swing on the ball or more so when you’re trying to line up that clutch putt.

I think you would want to be as laid back and as calm as possible without falling asleep of course.

Also it might have something to do with the amount you take as well, obviously too much might have the effect as stated above, but in moderation could it give you a slight edge, that might make you just a little bit more alert, without any physical side affects that could hurt your game. Who knows I can’t see it helping in any dose.

Terry.

andylo
1st June 2005, 02:58 PM
Ppl like Daly allow smoking while golf in PGA comps and I guess smoking is some kind of Doze anyway... so I guess it's ok.

BrisVegas
1st June 2005, 03:11 PM
I reckon Valium or some other mild sedative would work best for me.  It depends on what sort of brain you have I suppose.  If (like me) you are the type to get over excited and over analyse everything, calming down may offer an advantage.

I know that I've been fairly sleep deprived lately and found that I was pretty calm for Sunday's Bribie round.  I don't think I made too many silly mistakes and managed to think my way around the course alright for 35 points.  Sure I had a few 3-putts, but otherwise I never looked like getting into too much strife.  I can think of plenty of times when I've been all amped up for a game and then done silly, impulsive things which ruined score cards.  

Just a thought...  Conversely, I'm not sure whether the extra buzz from caffeine etc. would help a naturally sedate or calm person gain an edge in golf.  I think a big part of golf is course management and strategy.  How would someone's strategy go if they're bouncing off the walls.. ???

andylo
1st June 2005, 03:15 PM
I reckon Valium or some other mild sedative would work best for me...... If (like me) you are the type to get over excited and over analyse everything, calming down may offer an advantage.

I dunno how much you ususally take Dion... but I know I need a full bottle of it before a golf game :lol:

BrisVegas
1st June 2005, 03:19 PM
I reckon Valium or some other mild sedative would work best for me...... If (like me) you are the type to get over excited and over analyse everything, calming down may offer an advantage.

I dunno how much you ususally take Dion... but I know I need a full bottle of it before a golf game  :lol:

Check your pills Andy. You might have gotten the placebo..... :lol:

oz
1st June 2005, 03:19 PM
even cold & flu tabs make me feel a bit off-kilter. I reckon it's the codeine. Don't know how no-doze woudl effect the heart rate and tempo....

terryand
1st June 2005, 03:21 PM
even cold & flu tabs make me feel a bit off-kilter.  I reckon it's the codeine.  Don't know how no-doze woudl effect the heart rate and tempo....

Don't these tablets have some sudo efo drugo stuff in them?

Terry.

Fishman Dan
1st June 2005, 03:30 PM
I used to pop a Sudafed at work, as i went through a stage with dodgy sinuses. Then it became semi-regular, sometimes i'd have one with a coffee. It got to the point where i felt i was walking 3 feet above the ground. A seriously bad thing.

Even today, Sprite ReCharge can result in a productive few hours. The flipside of that is by the time i go home i'm ready for a nap. I don't drink Red Bull, V or any other high caffeine / sugar / guarana drinks.

Any amateur sportsperson thinking of popping a pill for their weekly game needs their head checked. The "Just 1 a week can't hurt" can't be further from the truth though. There is no long term benefit to taking a substance like No-Doze.

For me, it's bacon that keeps me going 8)

AndyP
1st June 2005, 03:55 PM
Any amateur sportsperson thinking of popping a pill for their weekly game needs their head checked. The "Just 1 a week can't hurt" can't be further from the truth though. There is no long term benefit to taking a substance like No-Doze.
It's a caffeine tablet, the same as having a couple of cups of coffee, isn't it? How can that be harmful?

I actually thought about trying it before playing tennis fixtures this week, just to see if it had any effect. However, the tablets I had leftover from Uni days were two years past their expiry date, and I didn't want to risk it.

Still think it would be an interesting experiment though. :-k

Golf requires more focus, and there is less activity, so taking the tablets would probably be less beneficial than some other sports.

markTHEblake
2nd June 2005, 09:58 PM
i think its been proven that the best thing for golf is something to take your mind 'off' things. I would assume that takiing No Doze or the like would make your mind hyperactive and thats the last thing you need.

So perhaps instead of No Doze, Horlicks is best for golfers

I know one accomplished golfer who has been known to take tablets of another certain kind, to calm himself down...

AndyP
3rd June 2005, 08:47 AM
Who hasn't played some pretty good golf with a couple of beers under the belt?
It certainly helps you to relax.

Of course, along with the good shots, come the shanks after a couple more beers.

macleod
3rd June 2005, 09:29 AM
again depends on the indivudals reaction to said substance....

i've experimented with a variety of items whilst playing golf to see the various effects and internal thoughts on performance....i love an experiment after all...

some things have worked, some interesting effects, others...mmmm...not so good to be out in nature or around others on...

as per everyone's musings golf for the most part does require some clear thinking and lucid moments for strategy, and being able to put a good easy swing on the ball...not too easy though.....:D

match your golf to your circadian rhythm whatever they may be for you personally......

excelsior to bacon!