SA
Blackwood
Glenelg
Flagstaff Hill
McCracken

Chris32
2nd December 2010, 12:30 PM
Flagstaff Hill is pretty good, some interesting holes there

Out of those on the SA list, Glenelg would be the pick of the bunch from what I have heard.

Haven't played the rest, Windaroo is in QLD isn't it? You planning a trip down this way?

Scottt
2nd December 2010, 12:37 PM
Windaroo is in Qld, yes. I have corrected that, thanks!

Planning a trip, but watching the airfares it might not be for a little while. I want to see Royal Adelaide and figure I may as well plan some more golf while I am there.

Have never visited Vic, SA or WA so now I am back from OS and still hankering for travel, I want to see more of Australia.

Chris32
2nd December 2010, 12:43 PM
RA is worth the trip for sure, my favourite track I have played so far. Also worth a look is Lady Bay, about 45 mins drive from the CBD

I've only played a limited number of courses in SA, but RA and Lady Bay are courses I always look forward to playing. Kooyonga would be another to try and get too, never played it myself but walked it many times watching SA Opens etc.

Veefore
2nd December 2010, 12:56 PM
What are these courses like?

WA
Mt Lawley
The Western Australian
Melville
Mt Lawley is wide off the tee, putting a premium on placement and the approach shot. Usually in very good condition. A top course and one of my favourites.

WAGC is built on the side of a hill and has a lot of rise and fall. The greens are its protectors. Another of my favourites.

I've never played Melville.

Scottt
2nd December 2010, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I have a few that I have heard are good. Just trying to see if any of my new club's reciprocals are worth including in an itinerary.

marcel
2nd December 2010, 01:52 PM
Blackwood (not during winter) and Glenelg definitely worth a visit if you had time. At their price for you (assuming $0) would only put RA and Grange W ahead of Blackwood and only RA ahead of Glenelg.

haven't played Flag or McCraken

Webster
2nd December 2010, 02:04 PM
JamesB is at Blackwood SA.

Veefore
2nd December 2010, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I have a few that I have heard are good. Just trying to see if any of my new club's reciprocals are worth including in an itinerary.

Mt Lawley and WAGC are definitely worth including if you are in WA.

KAM
2nd December 2010, 04:49 PM
Have played all 4 many years ago
Blackwood and Glenelg are excellent courses
McCracken is the newest of the lot and a links course from memory
Flagstaff Hill is very hilly and dry and hard during summer

Bruce Dickinson
2nd December 2010, 10:33 PM
Melville isnt the most exciting place, come and have a hit at joondalup instead

simmsy
3rd December 2010, 02:06 AM
Yeah Melville is not worth a trip. The other two places r very good and throw in Joondy, KB & Araluen and you'll have a great trip.

Scottt
3rd December 2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys.

I keep hearing how great Perth and the southern WA coast are, so it's a trip I want to make sooner rather than later.

simmsy
3rd December 2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah if you've got the time, KB, secret harbour, Mandurah c.c, Binningup are all worth playing, Mandurah is 50mins from Perth.

just
3rd December 2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys.

I keep hearing how great Perth and the southern WA coast are, so it's a trip I want to make sooner rather than later.

Wonderful place to visit, you'll enjoy it a lot. Be careful the locals will probably try to grope your snads.

Johnny Canuck
Skip Melville for sure.

Play Mt. Lawley if you can make it on without Tourfit finding out.

Head south and play Bunbury and Binningup as well.

simmsy
When u looking at a trip?

Make it early April and come over for our Champs.

sms316
3rd December 2010, 11:23 AM
Don't forget to visit the local IGA.

Scottt
3rd December 2010, 11:55 AM
Cheers guys,

Simmsy: My dad's best mate is from Mandurah and has a house there. We'd probably go visit them.

Not likely to be over there before next Sept/Oct as I already have trips booked to Hamilton Island in Feb for mine and the missus' birthdays and March to Melbourne and Barny Dunes for a golf trip.

simmsy
3rd December 2010, 12:19 PM
Shame that mate. Oh well 3rd qtr it is then.

An Ozgolf day will need to get organized for ur visit.

Well get Yoss onto it.

TourFit
3rd December 2010, 07:00 PM
Shame that mate. Oh well 3rd qtr it is then.

An Ozgolf day will need to get organized for ur visit.

Well get Yoss onto it.

He'll need AT LEAST that long just to figure out the phone numbers of 'possible' courses...

WBennett
3rd December 2010, 08:57 PM
Sco

Play the Cut, just to blow your mind. How to balls up a potentially sensational layout.

FWIW, I liked 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 12 (its insane!) and 16. The rest....

just
3rd December 2010, 09:13 PM
Sco

Play the Cut, just to blow your mind. How to balls up a potentially sensational layout.

FWIW, I liked 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 12 (its insane!) and 16. The rest....
Wilcher didn't balls up a potentially sensational layout. With the environmental restrictions he didn't have much choice and it's a fine course, not great but okay, not worthy of the opprobrium which it gets on here. Having said that it's not worth $100 a round either.

Moe Norman
3rd December 2010, 09:22 PM
The Cut is ok.

Matty Mollica reckons its sensational!

sms316
3rd December 2010, 09:25 PM
The Cut is ok.

Matty Mollica reckons its sensational!

He also thinks Brookwater is better than RQ. Dunno what is going on there.

WBennett
3rd December 2010, 09:51 PM
Wilcher didn't balls up a potentially sensational layout. With the environmental restrictions he didn't have much choice and it's a fine course, not great but okay, not worthy of the opprobrium which it gets on here. Having said that it's not worth $100 a round either.

15, 17 and 18 each should have been 3 times better

Johnny Canuck
3rd December 2010, 10:40 PM
15, 17 and 18 each should have been 3 times better

Was the question name 3 of the 4 worst holes on the course?

If it was, you are a winner.

just
3rd December 2010, 10:46 PM

No the question was show which holes prove Just was right. 15 and 18 are bad holes.

Johnny Canuck
3rd December 2010, 10:48 PM
No the question was show which holes prove Just was right. 15 and 18 are bad holes.

Both of those pale in comparison to 17.

just
3rd December 2010, 10:53 PM
I can't remember 17 much except I think it was a blind shot. Still doesn't change the fact that Wilcher had a design brief and severe environmental restrictions.

Johnny Canuck
3rd December 2010, 11:45 PM
I don't care who designed them. They're poor holes.

I like the course myself, but it just isn't worth the accolades (or a visit from Scottt).

just
4th December 2010, 07:44 AM
I don't care who designed them. They're poor holes.

I like the course myself, but it just isn't worth the accolades (or a visit from Scottt).
Agree, especially when there's better offering closer and you are on a short trip.

WBennett
4th December 2010, 07:54 AM

Which other one did I miss?

Johnny Canuck
4th December 2010, 05:49 PM
11 is pretty average as well.

Yossarian
13th December 2010, 09:55 PM
Scottt, I would rate the courses in the order you have named them. Although Mt Lawley and Yokine are pretty close and I enjoy Yokine a little more but Lawley is probably the better track overall. Glades is average.

Still Lawley and WA are close to top 5ish type tracks in WA.

The Cut is worth a hit.

Johnny Canuck
13th December 2010, 10:11 PM
Scottt, I would rate the courses in the order you have named them. Although Mt Lawley and Yokine are pretty close and I enjoy Yokine a little more but Lawley is probably the better track overall. Glades is average.

Still Lawley and WA are close to top 5ish type tracks in WA.

The Cut is worth a hit.

Top 10ish surely.

Yossarian
13th December 2010, 10:18 PM
Yeah, 5 was probably a little generous. I really love Yokine though, just the feel I get there.

qbnchopper
18th December 2010, 11:50 AM
Scottt,

Like most of the crowd here Mt Lawley and WAGC are worth a look - if you are staying in Mandurah, try to play Halls Head, Mandurah Country Club too - its a bit of a sleeper ...

My recommendation based on you staying in Mandurah is:

Mandurah Country Club
Kennedy Bay
Binnigup
The Cut (for interest mainly, as its not the greatest)

To me second tier down that way
Bunbury
Meadow Springs
Secret Harbour (dont really rate it though has some strong holes)

In Perth I'd choose (and good luck getting on):
Cottesloe in the afternoon (not seaview)
Mt Lawley
Nedlands
WAGC
Joondy
Araluen

BayBum
18th December 2010, 12:20 PM
Any WAnkers got a golf map setup that i can look at ? im lazy :)

idgolfguy
18th December 2010, 01:59 PM
Any WAnkers got a golf map setup that i can look at ? im lazy :)

Google Earth works.

dave1
19th December 2010, 12:13 PM
best courses in that area as follows

1 Port Kennedy. tru links course that many WA play before heading to the british open, brutally tough
2 Medow springs country club
3 Bunbury golf isnt 2nd tier.....rate the grees highly...home of the WA pga
4 Mandurah GC great parklands course, cheap and good test
5 the cut..its brutal, its unfair.....its plain nuts in the wind but the views on the ocean holes have to be seen. You have to giggle as you see balls vanish into the dunes or into some scrub. Its not really a golf course - its a rollercoaster with grass
6 Capel, a hidden gem. tight layout with rick hard greesn that are small
7 Secret harbour...its not my cup of tea - but its kinda like resort course mixed with links golf. It isnt really a links course but has nice quick greens, warning its always busy - too busy they clump the tee times too close together and the pro shop guys well are hammers (as in tools)
8 Binningup, best 9 holer in WA
9 Dunsborough lakes, ok its resort/on course living course, its fun course to play with a lot of water on it, much of it doesnt come into play though. 4 sets of tees for every ability
10 Pinjara country club, best greens I have played on..seriously cheap, fairways are bit rough but a great course thats affordable

ok if youre in WA, you must play Vines (lakes 9) and you must play Joondalup (quarry)

oh and if you make it way down south drop into Albany...send me message I will have a hit with you, its a great course also but Im a tad biased :lol:

Greeny
21st December 2010, 03:43 PM
Surprised that no one has played McCracken.

It's a great track when it is in good nick. I'd imagine with all the rain, it would be superb right now. It is about an hour or so south of Adelaide and possibly underrated.
Blackwood and Flagstaff are fine but Glenelg is definitely the pick of the bunch. It's come a long way in the last 5 years and while it doesn't quite compare to Royal Adelaide, Kooyonga and Grange West it is a superb golf course.
Don't forget Lady Bay too!

adlo
21st December 2010, 04:06 PM
Scottt,

Skip Melville.

Play MLCC and WA. Both fun tracks. Nothing that will compare to what you have seen on your travels but still some of the best you will find in Perth and always presented in great condition.

If in Mandurah you have to play Mandurah CC, Kennedy Bay and make the Bunbury-Binningup day trip.

I'd skip Secret Harbour but would try and play Joondy and Araluen (as a lower priority). Araluen is fun but I feel as though a few local lads seriously overrate it.

MegaWatty
21st December 2010, 04:39 PM
Araluen is dead again.

adlo
21st December 2010, 05:47 PM
Ouch!

Yossarian
21st December 2010, 05:50 PM
I can't decide about Araluen, my first trip loved it. Second trip rate it. There is nothing bad about it, aside from condition, but nothing really amazing either.

adlo
21st December 2010, 05:53 PM
IT is a pretty standard resort course with a few outstanding holes and some breath taking vistas. That is my 2c

Yossarian
21st December 2010, 05:57 PM
I just struggle to remember some of the holes, a lot of the 4's are a bit same samey.

simmsy
21st December 2010, 06:25 PM
A bit like LK.

Pieface
21st December 2010, 07:28 PM
My main criticism of Araluen is that you don't get many different ways to have a crack at it. No real option for running shots due to the green surrounds. Admittedly I sucked the big one when I was there so perhaps I was looking for safe outs. I think I'd still be laying up a lot there on a good day because the green complexes are so unforgiving to a poor approach. I would need inside 120m to attack the green with any confidence that an error isn't going to turn into a big number.

Probably a different set of issues for people who can actually play though!

MegaWatty
21st December 2010, 08:27 PM
Hmmm. I can't see the point of a layup to avoid a 3 putt. What happens if you don't chip it close and 2 putt. Nett result is the same. Just the stats look different.

I rate it highly. A great mixture of holes, short and long. Wide but punishing. And as Ads said, some breathtaking vistas.

Easily up there with KB for 3 amazing finishing holes.

Pieface
21st December 2010, 08:51 PM
Haha Mega. I'm talking about not hitting the green and disappearing 30m down a hill into the crap. You're talking hitting your approach 15' away from where you were aiming! In a greenside trap is just as bad as it's hard for a chopper to hit out with confidence when the greens are fast and you may well still end up way down the hill if you catch it too cleanly.

As a hacker they are the toughest green complexes I have faced because they get very penal if you stray. I like the course just fine and it is up there with Joondy for the spectacle side of things but the bar for minimum skill level is a decent bit higher than a lot of places I think. Easy to rack up worse than double bogey on a lot of holes for a chopper. It's not a slight to the course just an observation.

Yossarian
21st December 2010, 09:02 PM
A bit like LK.

I was a bit overawed the time I played there.

Easily up there with KB for 3 amazing finishing holes.

Agreed, the last 3 are awesome.

simmsy
21st December 2010, 09:45 PM
great course Yoss don't get me wrong but alot of par4 with the exact same shot setup. uphill RtoL shape req'd.

dave1
21st December 2010, 10:05 PM
this will sound odd but Im not a huge Lake Karrinyup fan (sorry bad spell on LK)

holes felt samey to me.....great greens...but it dint blow me away...its worh playing now doubt

I have to show my bias though as I like links courses though..or at least course with a links element to them which some holes on joodlaup have.....even the newest nine (dunes) does have slightly links feel to it..the dunes nine is in my vew a great nine

MegaWatty
21st December 2010, 10:11 PM
this will sound odd but Im not a huge Lake Karrinyup fan (sorry bad spell on LK)

holes felt samey to me.....great greens...but it dint blow me away...its worh playing now doubt

Clearly the words of a bloke that hits a fade. ;)

Yossarian
21st December 2010, 10:17 PM

I have to show my bias though as I like links courses though..or at least course with a links element to them which some holes on joodlaup have.....even the newest nine (dunes) does have slightly links feel to it..the dunes nine is in my vew a great nine

That is fooking hilarious!

dave1
22nd December 2010, 12:36 AM
Clearly the words of a bloke that hits a fade. ;)

hit both.....used to hit fade..now hit draw with driver..fade irons

I think its a great course I just didnt like it that much.....

others rave about and rave about it..I dont...each to thier own....

Yossarian
22nd December 2010, 01:31 AM
You are aware you spelt it perfectly yes.

Johnny Canuck
22nd December 2010, 01:41 AM
Best post ever!

dave1
22nd December 2010, 02:36 AM
You are aware you spelt it perfectly yes.

meh spelling is overated.....

Bruce Dickinson
22nd December 2010, 11:29 AM

the dunes nine was one of the original nines, the lakes at Joondalup was the "new" 9

Yossarian
22nd December 2010, 07:04 PM
meh spelling is overated.....

How about grammar?

dave1
23rd December 2010, 01:55 AM
Ok so Im shite at that too Im often at work when I post so i have like 20 seconds to let a post go before someone comes snooping about

dave1
23rd December 2010, 01:56 AM
the dunes nine was one of the original nines, the lakes at Joondalup was the "new" 9

didnt know that...the dunes is by far the best IMO...the quarry looks speccy I must say but in terms of hole design I like the dunes

adlo
23rd December 2010, 04:34 PM
Hadn't played Kennedy in a few months until yesterday.

Easily the course to play in Perth IMO. Base all other plans around it. I love that place.

Scottt
23rd December 2010, 05:56 PM
Did you drop your membership there, Adlo?

adlo
23rd December 2010, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I did, wasn't going to get my $$ worth anymore. Have just moved slightly further away too.

qbnchopper
30th December 2010, 11:25 AM
Good call on Pinjarra - its a sleeper

simmsy
30th December 2010, 03:20 PM
Greens r struggling at Pinjarra they stuffed up the coring this season and greens still aren't back to traditional best. Usually great putting surfaces.

qbnchopper
31st December 2010, 11:31 PM
played at pinjarra once and loved the course - but as you say simmsy the surfaces were really, really good ... a pity that they are stuffed !