PDA

View Full Version : WA: Visiting Perth/Margaret River - 20 - 30 Apr11

Outcast
20th November 2010, 07:18 PM
Okay, this is still a little pre-emptive but, here goes:

Wife, child and I are visiting Perth from a 20 Apr - 01 May 2011 to attend my Brother inlaws wedding.

The wedding is at the Vines on 30 Apr; My wife's plan now is for us to spend 4 - 5 days in Perth intitially then, head down to Margaret River for 3 or so days returning on the afternoon of 29 Apr.

My plan is to fit some golf in without causing her too much grief; very keen to have a hit at the Vines and there are a few courses to the South of Perth that I have heard a bit about. My last experiences playing golf in Perth was about 24 years ago at Kwinana GC & one round at Royal Fremantle...

Hopeful of getting in two to three rounds (if wife will let me)...

adlo
20th November 2010, 07:47 PM
I'd give Monkey Mia a miss for a start......

Try and play Kennedy Bay if possible.

A lot of great courses in the South-west on the way down and near Margaret River. IMO Bunbury is the finest of these, but if that is not suitable there will be plenty of alternatives.

hocko
20th November 2010, 07:50 PM
idgolfguy should be able to hook you up at the vines, if he does and you play i wouldn't mind having a hit with.

Outcast
20th November 2010, 08:42 PM
I'd give Monkey Mia a miss for a start......

Curious to know why; Mrs Outcast seems to think it's a must...

Yossarian
20th November 2010, 09:27 PM
Monkey Mia is ok.

Bloody long drive though!

Outcast
20th November 2010, 09:48 PM
Monkey Mia is ok.

Bloody long drive though!

Hmmmm, so she tells me; 700km each way I believe; her idea is up one day, stay overnight do, whatever one does at Monkey Mia; then stay overnight and drive back to Perth followiing day...

Is it worth it?? And if not, how do I convince her it's not worth it without mentioning the three days of golfing opportunities as she will not be sympathetic

Yossarian
20th November 2010, 09:52 PM
It is ok, and the dolphins are kind of cool, but you can see dolphins at Sea World.

It is kind of pretty scenery but nothing really special IMO.

simmsy
20th November 2010, 09:59 PM
it is a very long drive to feed a dolphin some fish. nothing much else up there. better off an extra couple of days down Margaret River.

Veefore
20th November 2010, 10:05 PM
Used to be able to do the same thing at Bunbury. It is an incredibly underwhelming experience.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Nuffie
21st November 2010, 12:01 AM
Hmmmm, so she tells me; 700km each way I believe

Yeah, been there done that trip driving to Monkey Mia from Perth, last January. AND dont bank on being able to fuel up at the Overlander Roadhouse whatever you do (near where the turnoff to Monkey Mia is off the main Hwy, about 1.5 hrs from Monkey Mia).

Fill up way before this pt on the way up, and at Monkey Mia on the way back (before leaving). Trust me. That place always runs out of fuel and its the only servo for miles in the middle of the WA desert - pathetic...

Make sure you play Kennedy Bay and The Vines BTW. Forget the Monkey Mia course unless you have some astro turf and a putter you dont wish to destroy :)

idgolfguy
21st November 2010, 07:54 AM
Yes, more than happy to set up a round at the Vines. We can work it out closer to the date. I'm sure we will get a few rounds here and there.

Golfnut
21st November 2010, 01:50 PM
Yes, more than happy to set up a round at the Vines. We can work it out closer to the date. I'm sure we will get a few rounds here and there.

Besides, you have not amassed anywhere near the right amount of posts to get a game up and running Outcast....5 months to get it sorted ;)

Outcast
10th February 2011, 10:01 PM
Besides, you have not amassed anywhere near the right amount of posts to get a game up and running Outcast....5 months to get it sorted ;)

Okay,

I'm resurrecting this one now that it is a little closer to time and I have some dates for the Outcast Family visit to WA.

Yes, I know it is still a ways off but, I'm heading back to sea in a little over a weeks time and will have very limited access to Ozgolf before we hit Perth.

We arrive in Perth on Wed, 20th Apr (evening) and are planning to spend about four days in Perth (or so) then SWMBO wants to go down to Margaret River for about four days. Could vary a little bit...

Then attending a wedding at the Vines on Sat 30th... Wife expects that I will spend some time with her and child (go figure) and we will have a rental car so, can get about to places.. Figure I might get two or three games in Perth (if wife is in a good mood), perhaps two in the first part of the trip and then maybe one on Sunday 01 May before we fly out (not flying out until 10pm).

So, is anyone interested in having a hit with an out of form FNQ Ozgolfer who isn't quite as warped as the Sesame Street Crowd :-)

MegaWatty
10th February 2011, 10:03 PM
Maybe a day at KB?

I might get you to bring that Sophia. I am trying so hard to say no! But I reckon we have a deal...

Outcast
10th February 2011, 10:34 PM
Maybe a day at KB?

I might get you to bring that Sophia. I am trying so hard to say no! But I reckon we have a deal...

KB sounds good;

Remind me to bring the Sophia.... I'll PM you my mobile number so you can text me to remind me to bring it or, not as the case may be...

Tis a great little putter but, I've decided to go all Scotty...

simmsy
10th February 2011, 10:54 PM
yep KB would be a good choice, usual suspects down south as mentioned previously - Margaret River, Bunbury, Binningup also Busselton. Mandurah C.C is well worth a game if you are around the place and try and hook up with IDG for a game at the Vines.

Outcast
10th February 2011, 10:58 PM
I note there is a course down at Margaret River; is that worth a hit??

simmsy
10th February 2011, 11:09 PM
yeah it's worth a hit for sure, it's not a great track, a little dependent on watering at the time. well worth a hit though if time is available back 9 is very good.

simmsy
10th February 2011, 11:10 PM
Augusta is a great course but only sand/oil greens and pretty dry but layout is great and right on the ocean with a few holes equal to The Cut in Vista.

rubin
10th February 2011, 11:39 PM
I wouldnt take Dunsborough lakes out of the picture. Not a bad course or an afternoon bash.

Definately get on down to KB, im sure a few of us would be more than happy to join you!

idgolfguy
11th February 2011, 03:03 AM
Let me know if you can fit the Vines in. The course has been in very good condition. I'm sure Hocko is still up to playing there.
I could also try to book us in early (first off with carts) so that we could be done in around 3 hours for 18 - done by 9.30am or so. Will need notice so I can do it in advance. That will leave plenty of the day free.

Outcast
11th February 2011, 08:51 AM
Wife suggests the Saturday, 30 Apr before the wedding if that is possible; The wedding is in the afternoon at the Vines followed by a reception. I believe we will be staying at the Vines at that point.

idgolfguy
11th February 2011, 01:26 PM
I'll put a tentative booking for four for the 30th of April. It will be on Ellenbrook as Lakes will be booked out for competition.

Do you want early as possible?

Outcast
11th February 2011, 03:13 PM
Don't mind, though sometime between 7am & 8am would probably suit my beauty sleep needs better

VMT ID

Outcast
12th February 2011, 09:35 PM
Okay, dates and availability for golf is beginning to firm up substantially; Here is the slightly more detailed plan as it stands right now:

Arrive Perth: Late evening of 20 Apr
Spend Thurs & Frid around Perth and catching up with some relatives & friends
Sat 23 Apr - day trip to Rottnest Is and then down to Mandurah to stay for a few days
Sun 24 Apr - available for golf (Perhaps a good day for Kennedy Bay)
Mon 25 Apr - ANZAC Day Dawn Service (I am military afterall) then, catchup with some friends in the area and have a bit of a look around Mandurah
Tues 26 Apr - leisurely drive down to Margaret River visiting Bunbury, Busselton on the way, Stay at Margaret River until the 29th (available for golf somewhere on 27th or 28th) Any suggestions of where to play not far from Margaret River and whether anyone would care to join me?

Fri 29th Back to Perth and staying at the Vines: Game with IDGOLFGUY at the Vines on Sat morning before the wedding and then probably available for a game on the Sunday; possibly at the Vines if thats possible or, happy to play somewhere else if anyone is keen..

There you have it, there is our rough (but relatively detailed) itinerary; we just have to book it in now: If anyone has suggestions on places to stay (at a reasonable cost) & or visit within this itinerary we would be grateful for the advice. Trying to get two rooms most places as the boy is getting a little older these days... :-)

Johnny Canuck
12th February 2011, 10:39 PM
Pencil me in for the round at Kbay on the 24th.

$1 skins, 3/4 handicaps. Hocko, get in here. I love taking your money.

Yossarian
13th February 2011, 01:15 AM
Fo shizzle

rubin
13th February 2011, 01:39 AM
KBay on the 24th sounds good. I'd be in for that

Johnny Canuck
13th February 2011, 01:57 AM
Doneski.

Bighead
Jc
Yoss
Rubin

3/4 handis
$1 skins

Can we get a second group to welcome a qld Player?
$1 ntp

MegaWatty
13th February 2011, 10:45 AM
Probably. We can work the groups out later. I'd like to show OC how to use the Sophia first hand. ;)

Outcast
13th February 2011, 02:15 PM
Probably. We can work the groups out later. I'd like to show OC how to use the Sophia first hand. ;)

Hey, it used to work just fine for me, then I became a Scotty HO!!

Looking forward to it gents, lock me in for the 24th at KB, I'll leave it to you guys to lock in a tee time and let me know; I think I sent MEGA my contact details for when I am not able to access Ozgolf...

rubin
14th February 2011, 01:57 PM
I'll be down there on saturday for my first comp of the year, so I'll book it in. I'll grab 2 slots, im sure there will be more keen to play.

Outcast
14th February 2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks IDGOLFGUY, Rubin & the rest of you guys who are hooking me up with games;

Your assistance and welcome is fantastic, I look forward to meeting you all and hopefully taking some WA currency off you.... :-)

My handicap is now back out to 8.... will have to see if I can get it to double figures by April..... :-)

idgolfguy
14th February 2011, 11:00 PM
Out cast will have Sat 30, April on Ellenbrook in the morning and Sunday 1, May booked on Lakes in the morning. There will be 2 slots available for anyone wishing to play on each of those days.

$35 walking. Let me know.

Will post 1st thread once I have confirmed times this week. These are not in any comps, unfortunately.

rubin
14th February 2011, 11:02 PM
Out cast will have Sat 30, April on Ellenbrook in the morning and Sunday 1, May booked on Lakes in the morning. There will be 2 slots available for anyone wishing to play on each of those days.

$35 walking. Let me know.

i could be keen for the 1st mate if theres still some available. Havent played the vines for years!

idgolfguy
14th February 2011, 11:07 PM
Sure, you're first cab for either day your choice. Will book in the next day or two.
Had my first day at work. Didn't get time to do anything else.

rubin
14th February 2011, 11:15 PM
Sure, you're first cab for either day your choice. Will book in the next day or two.
Had my first day at work. Didn't get time to do anything else.

hey, works work. I'm betting now you wish you were back out on the course.

lock me in for 1st of May. Cheers.

idgolfguy
15th February 2011, 04:06 PM
Happy to be working. Monday at the office, Tuesday from home.

Outcast
22nd March 2011, 07:36 PM
Getting closer and closer to the visit & I am beginning to salivate:

Here is how it is looking for games thus far:

24 Apr - Kennedy Bay: Not sure yet what time but, I'm sure you guys will let me know
01 May - Vines with IDGOLFGUY, I think around 7:30 or 8, can't quite recall

Unfortunately, 30th got blown out of the water with my B-I-L wedding plans but, I recall my wife saying I could play on the Friday, 29th at least I think she said that; coming back to Perth from Margaret River so it might have to be a later game, depending on location.

Still looking for a hit in the South (within about 45 min of Margaret River if possible) for either 27th or 28th of Apr; let me know if anyone is interested

idgolfguy
22nd March 2011, 07:47 PM
Got May 1st booked for 18 holes on the Lakes Course for four people at 9am (Sunday). I believed Rubin expressed an interest in playing. Nuffie will probably join us.

At this stage we may be able to do Ellenbrook late in the afternoon on the Friday. I won't be sure till the start of April but most likely to happen if you need it to.

Outcast
22nd March 2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks IDGG,

Friday at Ellenbrook Cse in the afternoon would be great

Cheers

Outcast

rubin
22nd March 2011, 11:42 PM
Got May 1st booked for 18 holes on the Lakes Course for four people at 9am (Sunday). I believed Rubin expressed an interest in playing. Nuffie will probably join us.

At this stage we may be able to do Ellenbrook late in the afternoon on the Friday. I won't be sure till the start of April but most likely to happen if you need it to.

IDG believed correctly. I'll join you fellas for a knock around the vines.

If you want to let me know your preferred tee-off time for KB outcast, i'd be happy to take you round there. Im sure some of the other boys will join as well.

MegaWatty
22nd March 2011, 11:47 PM
24th of April is Easter Sunday I believe.

TourFit
23rd March 2011, 12:17 AM
BWAHAHAHAH...

Let's show Outcast how a WAnker ClusterF**k works !!!

Golfnut
23rd March 2011, 12:19 AM
24th of April is Easter Sunday I believe.

He may not be religious.

rubin
23rd March 2011, 12:33 AM
Mega, again you are correct. I wont be taking anyone round KB that day.

Outcast
27th March 2011, 02:53 PM
Okay guys,

I acknowledge that Sun 24th is Easter Sunday and as such some may not be available due to family commitments or even religious commitments. Oridnarily I too would not be playing on Easter Sunday (for a variety of reasons) however, we are trying to pack as much in to our two weeks as possib le.

I've looked at my wife's proposed schedule and Sun 24th still kinda suits best; will the course be open? Will any of you guys be available to play; I do understand if this is not a good day and I could look at the Monday instead (Anzac day) but, I will have commitments for dawn service so would be looking for a later tee time.

Will also have to talk to SWMBO to see how it fits with overall family plan; super super keen to have a hit with some of the personalities I have been sparring with over the past 12 months or so.

Let me know what your all thinking with regards to timings

Johnny Canuck
27th March 2011, 07:04 PM
The course will be open on Easter Sunday, but I don't think that I'll be able to make it.

idgolfguy
27th March 2011, 07:27 PM
Have to do the Easter egg hunt etc. Can't wait for it... :(

Outcast
9th April 2011, 10:08 AM
It's getting closer and the anticipation at seeing some of the delights the West of our country has to offer & the prospect of playing some great golf courses with fellow Ozgolfers is building.... Only 11 days til the Outcast family lands in your fair lands

What is the verdict on a round at KB on Sunday 24th; noting that it is Easter Sunday are any of you guys available and keen to hitout on that day??

I can be flexible on this (to some degree), if family commitments on Easter Sunday preclude too many from playing then perhaps the Monday (ANZAC Day) might be a better prospect??

Can someone let me know whether we can get this game on please?

Regards

Outcast

Johnny Canuck
9th April 2011, 10:33 AM
I won't be able to make it on the Easter Sunday, unfortunately. Two little ones, Easter egg hunts, etc...

Word on the street is that KBay is coring shortly before Easter, but using some technique that leaves them highly playable a couple days after.

rubin
9th April 2011, 11:49 AM
if anyone is keen for an early morning (and im talking 7am or so) tee-off, i'm more than happy to take you round. Family stuff for me isnt until later in the day.

Outcast
11th April 2011, 01:16 PM
I can do 7amish on the Sunday I think; how far is it fm Mandurah? Didn't look far on a map.

Any other takers?

Sent from the edge of insanity by an evil simpleton!

rubin
11th April 2011, 01:22 PM
Mate, I'll put up a new thread for the day, get some attention from some of the boys here.