PDA

View Full Version : The Great Sock Debate

sms316
18th November 2010, 03:27 PM
***THREAD OF VITAL IMPORTANCE***

What do you think the dress regulations, in regards to socks, should be at your club?

Obviously when worn with shorts.

Daves
18th November 2010, 03:28 PM
Must wear suitable shoes, socks optional.

Grunt
18th November 2010, 03:29 PM
Common sense seems to be the norm down here in Sydney.

Covered Ankles seem the most policed sock rule.

Yossarian
18th November 2010, 03:34 PM
I think white, plain white, of whatever length.

sms316
18th November 2010, 03:36 PM
I reckon there should be a maximum length, rather than a minimum (no more than 2 inches above the shoe). White only.

matty
18th November 2010, 03:40 PM
I don't think length should be an issue anymore, but more importantly the sock suits the rest of the clothes.

kev
18th November 2010, 03:44 PM
*waits for solarman to enter into the debate*

kpac
18th November 2010, 03:46 PM
Regular length socks - no need for those ankle showing things at the golf course.

Grunt
18th November 2010, 03:47 PM
Regular length socks - no need for those ankle showing things at the golf course.

So what is classed as regular length?
Knee?
Mid Calf?
Crew? or
Ankle?

solarman
18th November 2010, 03:51 PM
*waits for solarman to enter into the debate*

ssshhh......no one knows yet....I think

solarman
18th November 2010, 03:53 PM
Knee?
Mid Calf?
Crew? or
Ankle?

Mine goes to the ankle.....hang on, I didn't know it was socks you meant !!

Webster
18th November 2010, 03:54 PM
If they must be worn, and I'm not sure that they should be, then any length provided they are plain white.

sms316
ssshhh......no one knows yet....I think
Everybody knows knee boy.

:lol:

WBennett
No footy sox. Black anklets fine with black shoes. White anklets fine the rest of the time.

I had a mate turn up in black anklets and was refused permission, as they were not white - even though he had black shirt, black shorts, black shoes.

sms316
18th November 2010, 03:56 PM
No footy sox. Black anklets fine with black shoes. White anklets fine the rest of the time.

I had a mate turn up in black anklets and was refused permission, as they were not white - even though he had black shirt, black shorts, black shoes.

Was he a goth?

kpac
18th November 2010, 03:56 PM

Knee?
Mid Calf?
Crew?

Ankle?
nup

solarman
18th November 2010, 03:57 PM
If they must be worn, and I'm not sure that they should be, then any length provided they are plain white.

I needed those ones you fold over your shoes after all the sand I was in at your club.

Webster
18th November 2010, 03:58 PM
Your arm must still be sore from all the raking that you did.

just
18th November 2010, 04:00 PM
I think you should wear them. It's hygienic.

sms316
18th November 2010, 04:04 PM
Your arm must still be sore from all the raking that you did.

He does plenty of arm exercises.

Moe Norman
18th November 2010, 04:32 PM
Plain white, or carrying a club logo.

Must cover the ankle.

If you insist on wearing long socks pulled up to the knee, then light colours acceptable.

BayBum
18th November 2010, 04:32 PM
I don't think length should be an issue anymore, but more importantly the sock suits the rest of the clothes.
+1

As long as they look respectable.

BayBum
18th November 2010, 04:48 PM

Must cover the ankle.

If you insist on wearing long socks pulled up to the knee, then light colours acceptable.

That sounds like something outta the great depression.Where the hell do you play ? Augusta ? :lol:

AndyP
18th November 2010, 04:51 PM
Allow brown socks.

Scottt
18th November 2010, 04:57 PM
Knee length. Must be flourescent harlequin.

TheTrueReview
18th November 2010, 05:03 PM
As long as the socks match the belt & earrings & don't make a person's bum look big.

Minor_Threat
18th November 2010, 05:03 PM

Must cover the ankle.

If you insist on wearing long socks pulled up to the knee, then light colours acceptable.Thats the code at my club, seems fair enough!

markTHEblake
18th November 2010, 06:58 PM
Whatever. just make it suit the overall dress standard. gee there was a time when golfers had to wear a tie, and it wasnt that long ago.

Courty
18th November 2010, 07:07 PM
I don't think colour should come into it, as long as they are not those wooly Explorer work socks or footy socks.

Outcast
18th November 2010, 08:07 PM
Whatever a person chooses in length as long as they suit the rest of the attire, including colour...

But, as with many of you NO Footy Socks.... Work Socks... Should at least be 'sports' socks or if you are of the right age not to look like a dork then knee high socks would be fine...

Outcast
18th November 2010, 08:08 PM
Double post - not sure how.... sorry

LarryLong
18th November 2010, 08:48 PM
Given that half the golfers at any club are walking fashion disasters, I reckon clubs should just allow any old socks and give people the opportunity to really complete the ensemble.

Seriously, why do clubs feel the need to police stuff like this? I don't see any point at all. I'd be happy to play with a bloke in any coloured socks, of any length. Even barefoot (which I've done before and will do again) is fine with me.

ddasey
18th November 2010, 08:52 PM
What about the 'flog' sock :mrgreen:

mike
18th November 2010, 11:24 PM
Socks? Pfft. It's open slather at my club.

In the last few months I've seen singlets, thongs, jeans and bare feet. Unfortunately the club is at the mercy of the social golfer.

Hux
18th November 2010, 11:49 PM
I am a someone who is antsy about the sock regulation. I wear Nike Elite Structures. They are white, ankle and have a swoosh visible. If I can't have brand visisble I have to wear longs.

The structures are teh only thing that stops me getting another bout of planta fasticitis (sp?) as they have buiilt in arch support. So whatever the regs have to have common sense.

henno
19th November 2010, 12:56 AM
What about the 'flog' sock :mrgreen:

What about me? ;)

Dotty
19th November 2010, 08:34 AM
I am a someone who is antsy about the sock regulation. I wear Nike Elite Structures. They are white, ankle and have a swoosh visible. If I can't have brand visisble I have to wear longs.

The structures are teh only thing that stops me getting another bout of planta fasticitis (sp?) as they have buiilt in arch support. So whatever the regs have to have common sense.
We have the same regs as Moe (plain white or white with golf club logo), but golf apparel logos would be the most common and never been an issue. (Actually, the club's shop sells Footjoy socks and probably other bands.)

With the internet, guests and new members can check the actual dress code, rather than wanting the host club to suit their idea of what the club should allow. (No public play, but corporate and function booking are directed to the dress-regs on the website.)

After cargo shorts, striped socks are the main problem. (Especially, when used with the arguement that they are identical to the plain white pair that accompanied them in the Lowes 3 Pack.)

I've heard it all before with jeans should be 'business casual' and mufti-Fridays.

just
19th November 2010, 03:56 PM
We have the same regs as Moe (plain white or white with golf club logo), but golf apparel logos would be the most common and never been an issue. (Actually, the club's shop sells Footjoy socks and probably other bands.)

With the internet, guests and new members can check the actual dress code, rather than wanting the host club to suit their idea of what the club should allow. (No public play, but corporate and function booking are directed to the dress-regs on the website.)

After cargo shorts, striped socks are the main problem. (Especially, when used with the arguement that they are identical to the plain white pair that accompanied them in the Lowes 3 Pack.)

I've heard it all before with jeans should be 'business casual' and mufti-Fridays.
Dotty
When you say striped socks, do you mean footy like socks or sports socks with a thin line around the top?

markTHEblake
19th November 2010, 04:48 PM
Does Ben wear socks?

Dotty
19th November 2010, 07:45 PM
Dotty
When you say striped socks, do you mean footy like socks or sports socks with a thin line around the top?
The line at the top.
Hence the comment about the Lowes 3 pack, which is usually 1 white pair, 1 with a red/blue stripe and 1 with two black stripes. (Since it was usually a Sunday medley comp. or midweek social hit, the pro/starter usually just told them to turn them in to hide the stripes, and don't do anything to attract attention to the group.)

Being a private club, it is relatively easy to inform any visitors, as they are either guests of members or corporate/trade days, who get the dress-code on the entry form. (Any guest problem is usually caused by new members inviting friends, without being experienced enough to outline the expectations.)

Dennis
21st November 2010, 12:25 PM
glad we are debating golfs big issues

WBennett
21st November 2010, 02:08 PM
Is Southerns dress regs flanny tucked in in winter, and tied around the waist in summer?

kev
21st November 2010, 06:12 PM
Is Southerns dress regs flanny tucked in in winter, and tied around the waist in summer?

Only if you want to add cleavage to your man boobs :razz:

sms316
21st November 2010, 06:14 PM
glad we are debating golfs big issues

I predict at least one board meeting at Southern being devoted to dress regulations during your tenure.

sms316
21st November 2010, 06:15 PM

You forgot high-vis vests for extra warmth.