PDA

View Full Version : US Q-School

AlexMc
16th November 2010, 09:21 PM
Q-School has always intrigued me. I've seen a few guys go through it - it is just massive pressure. I read a great book called "Tales From Q-School" by John Feinstein which is just ****ing gripping. It just looks tense and it is literally all or nothing.

Any way...Second Stage is this week. Aussies involved are:

Southern Hills - Steve Dartnall (plus Grant Waite)
Redstone - Craig Scott, Matt Goggin
Hombre - Simon Furneaux, Peter Lonard
Bear Creek - Adam Blyth, Mark Hensby, Kane Webber (also Danny Lee)
TPC Craig Ranch - Nick Flanagan, Rod Pampling, David Lutterus
Bayonet - Adam Bland, Matthew Griffin, Luke Hickmont, Scott Hend

So...a few Aussies over there this week. I know Simon Furneaux - he's battled away on pro-am's for ages...good to see he's having a shot at the big show. You would hope that Adam Bland will take some good form in to the event as well.

Let's hope the majority get through to the final stage...

McMw
17th November 2010, 12:28 AM
nice to see the name Peter Lonard get a mention...where has he been?

Moe Norman
17th November 2010, 08:38 AM
He was out injured for about 12 months, and also had Ross River fever.

He is now on the comeback, but I duobt he'll make it. He'll never be the same unless he swallows his pride and goes back to his old coach.

Off the drink too apparently, which is massive for him.

Eag's
17th November 2010, 08:41 AM
A few names in there you don't normally see heading to Q school.

sms316
17th November 2010, 08:42 AM
What about Nathan Buzumkic?

Hamo84
17th November 2010, 09:15 AM
promising start for Matt Goggin

http://pgatq.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/pgatq10/event/pgatq1025/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

LeftyHoges
17th November 2010, 09:37 AM
promising start for Matt Goggin

http://pgatq.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/pgatq10/event/pgatq1025/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

Not so much for Craig Scott, opened with 77.

virge666
17th November 2010, 11:58 AM
He was out injured for about 12 months, and also had Ross River fever.

He is now on the comeback, but I duobt he'll make it. He'll never be the same unless he swallows his pride and goes back to his old coach.

Off the drink too apparently, which is massive for him.

He has won 3 Masters since Ross River... :)

Couldn't agree more with coaching - but I would say ANY coach except the idiot Leadbetter who he is seeing now. You would think Sean Summers would give him a good talking to...

Seriously - what has Leadbetter ever done beside sell $15 swing gimmicks.

macjackass
17th November 2010, 12:00 PM

Couldn't agree more with coaching - but I would say ANY coach except the idiot Leadbetter who he is seeing now. You would think Sean Summers would give him a good talking to...

Seriously - what has Leadbetter ever done beside sell $15 swing gimmicks.

Didn't he redo Faldo's swing?

sms316
17th November 2010, 12:03 PM
Sean Summers

Now there is a fkwit of the highest order.

Moe Norman
17th November 2010, 12:35 PM

I was of the understanding he got it again within the last 12 months.

kingslayer33
18th November 2010, 11:42 AM
another solid effort (-3) from Mat Goggin sees him in a good spot to go to final round. Currently T2nd (Top 19+ties from each of the second round events goes to next level by the look of it.)

Chris32
18th November 2010, 12:54 PM
I always love following the Q School stuff, I can't imagine the highs and lows those blokes go through over the journey. I think I'd spend the whole time puking my guts up with nerves!

goughy
18th November 2010, 02:15 PM
Just pure survival. My dad said he's seen footage of guys breaking down and everything at q school. Just pure pressure, and so few spots up for grabs.

Hamo84
18th November 2010, 02:28 PM
how many spots are actually available from Q school?

goughy
18th November 2010, 03:57 PM
Isn't it like 20 or something. Not a lot to fight for.

BayBum
18th November 2010, 05:43 PM
Q-School says...

Every player who reaches the finale has some degree of status on the Nationwide Tour -- but only the low 25 and ties are exempt on the PGA TOUR for next year.

Q. If you don't get your TOUR card but reach the final stage, what happens?
A. After the PGA TOUR cards have been decided, the next number of players nearest to 50 will receive fully exempt membership on the Nationwide Tour. The remaining players who have made it to the final stage of q-school will have conditionally exempt status on the Nationwide Tour. So getting to the final stage is key.

Q. How much does it cost to enter q-school?
A. Entry fees in 2010 for the PGA TOUR are as follows: first-stage qualifying is $4,500, second-stage qualifying is $4,000 and the finals is $3,500.

Q. Can you earn money at these q-school tournaments?
A. Only at the final stage. The medalist at the final stage receives $50,000, the runner-up gets $40,000 and the rest of the 25 new TOUR members and ties earn at least $25,000. Players earning exempt Nationwide Tour status earn $5,000 each.The Childrens Miracle Classic is one of my fav tourneys to watch all year.Watching the so called 'big boys' play for their careers is good shit.I cant possibly imagine what the new breed have going on in their heads while the final stages of Q-School is playing out:smt087 To come so close to having your dreams realised & miss a 3 footer would make me question what it is i want to do in life:roll:

virge666
18th November 2010, 10:09 PM
Didn't he redo Faldo's swing?

I think Faldo did Faldo's swing...

I was of the understanding he got it again within the last 12 months.

really - shit, I just thought he was injured and had to go through surgery.

another solid effort (-3) from Mat Goggin sees him in a good spot to go to final round. Currently T2nd (Top 19+ties from each of the second round events goes to next level by the look of it.)

I thought he woudl have been exempt... great player.

kingslayer33
18th November 2010, 11:58 PM
I thought he woudl have been exempt... great player.

Shyte year. Think he was around 155.

Flavzz
22nd November 2010, 10:09 PM
Field has narrowed for the final stage next week.

Matt Goggin shot a final round 68 to make the final and also David lutterus and Mark hensby made it too. Unfortunately Rod Pampling missed out. There's possibly more Aussies in there but they were the ones mentioned as notables.

virge666
22nd November 2010, 10:16 PM
WTF is going on with Pamps... Top 50 to 200 in 2 years...

I don't get it...

kingslayer33
22nd November 2010, 10:34 PM
So 156+ ties are in final stage quals. 6 rounds with no cut.

What is the breakdown on how many get cards, and are they full cards?

virge666
22nd November 2010, 11:41 PM
So 156+ ties are in final stage quals. 6 rounds with no cut.

What is the breakdown on how many get cards, and are they full cards?

After the PGA TOUR cards have been decided, the next number of players nearest to 50 will receive fully exempt membership on the Nationwide Tour. The remaining players who have made it to the final stage of q-school will have conditionally exempt status on the Nationwide Tour. So getting to the final stage is key.

TheTrueReview
22nd November 2010, 11:47 PM

I don't get it...

Pamps is gone. Perhaps it's finally time for him to sack his wife as his sports psychologist.

kingslayer33
23rd November 2010, 03:05 AM
After the PGA TOUR cards have been decided...

I got the rest from the earlier post by Barnum, but is it top 10? 8? Or is the number determined by how many players already have full cards for next year from tournament wins etc? (Wanted to know so I can keep track of what goggin needs to be at)

And secondly, do you have full exempt status coming through q-school or is it restricted at all with how many events you can enter?

sms316
23rd November 2010, 09:03 AM

I don't get it...

Switched to a better ball. I'd love to see a statistic on performance post switching.

Off the top of my head;

Singh
Weekley
Pampling
Austin

Lucasto23
23rd November 2010, 09:22 AM
Top 25 get tour cards at q school

macjackass
23rd November 2010, 09:33 AM
Shyte year. Think he was around 155.

He switched from TM to callaway didn't he?

Dotty
23rd November 2010, 09:36 AM
Now there is a fkwit of the highest order.
:smt023

kingslayer33
23rd November 2010, 02:41 PM
He switched from TM to callaway didn't he?

Spot on. False economy or what? Extra $$$ up front but lose your card (?) because you lose form. I'm not certain there weren't some other personal issues through the year too but confidence in your sticks should be top priority for these guys IMHO.

macjackass
23rd November 2010, 02:56 PM
Spot on. False economy or what? Extra $$$ up front but lose your card (?) because you lose form. I'm not certain there weren't some other personal issues through the year too but confidence in your sticks should be top priority for these guys IMHO.

He certainly hits it well! I followed him at the Aussie Open for 9 holes and he hit the ball amazingly (not that he always thought so)

kingslayer33
23rd November 2010, 03:09 PM
He certainly hits it well! I followed him at the Aussie Open for 9 holes and he hit the ball amazingly (not that he always thought so)

Almost, and I mean almost in the strict sense of the word here, makes me look a good putter though. ;)

chappy1970
30th November 2010, 02:41 PM
Sweaty undies time for those at the Q school starts tomorrow.

BayBum
30th November 2010, 04:08 PM
Come on Hendry !!! Get some !!!

dave1
30th November 2010, 06:15 PM
Sweaty undies time for those at the Q school starts tomorrow.

wish this tournament was on foxtell would make good iewing....Commentator Gary MaCord once said this was the most stressful tourny he played in

mike
30th November 2010, 06:44 PM
wish this tournament was on foxtell would make good iewing....It usually is. Have you checked?

EDIT- nope I just had a look. Not on Fox or digital.

sms316
30th November 2010, 08:11 PM
Last year was pretty boring. They didn't show any guys who were gassing it up and spent a huge amonut of time doing interviews with the graduates.

BayBum
30th November 2010, 08:56 PM
Yeah it was abit like that mate.They showed one or 2 guys putting out on 18 & then switched to guys crying & chit.boohoo..

KristianJ
30th November 2010, 11:30 PM
According to my Foxtel EPG there's a slot on Tuesday morning on FS2 marked "Live: Golf: USPGA". The Chevron Challenge will be over so they might be just showing the final round of Q-school.

BayBum
2nd December 2010, 05:57 PM
http://www.pgatour.com/qschool/leaderboard/

A couple of names from down under off to a good start.Cant afford to start slow & still expect to be there at the finish line when the cards are handed out...

Josh Geary is the best of the bunch @ -3 T7,Coles & Lyle close behind @ -2 T16.

Ned
3rd December 2010, 08:20 AM
Looks like back to the minors for a lot of Aussies!

kingslayer33
6th December 2010, 07:23 AM
Big final round needed for Goggin now. T36 going in means he is in the hunt but it all depends on the final round.

Not sure if they all play 3 rounds at each of the courses but if so he has 1 to come at Crooked Cat which seems to have been kicking in the lower scores. Anyway fingers crossed for him.

Daves
6th December 2010, 10:44 AM
According to my Foxtel EPG there's a slot on Tuesday morning on FS2 marked "Live: Golf: USPGA". The Chevron Challenge will be over so they might be just showing the final round of Q-school.

As you suggested, 5th round highlights on Fox 3 now. Hope they show the final round live tomorrow.

Daves
6th December 2010, 10:47 AM
As you suggested, 5th round highlights on Fox 3 now. Hope they show the final round live tomorrow.

Just checked, and yep final round is going to be live on Fox 2 from 3.30am.8-)

AlexMc
6th December 2010, 10:23 PM
Jarrod Lyle looks safe with a decent round. The Angry Ant needs a great round to get back there...

AlexMc
7th December 2010, 06:22 AM
Jarrod through, Ant and Goggin on Nationwide next year...

BayBum
8th December 2010, 09:02 AM
Geary had a good chance but stumbled at the final hurdle :( He needed atleast -2 in the last round & shot +2.He wont be a happy boy.

Daves
1st December 2011, 07:40 AM
TV coverage starts on Fox 3 on Sunday our time(Rounds 4, 5 & 6).

Grunt
1st December 2011, 08:28 AM
Bowdo at 3 under today after 15, tied for 33. Leaders at -7 in the clubhouse.

PeteyD
1st December 2011, 09:37 AM
Go Bowdo!

Grunt
1st December 2011, 09:38 AM
Nice finish to the round.

chappy1970
1st December 2011, 02:59 PM
T7th, man 6 rounds what a f^&king grind

oncewasagolfer
1st December 2011, 03:47 PM
Nice stuff bowdo good luck for the rest of the week

aimnhit
1st December 2011, 03:49 PM
Cheers boys..

Grunt
1st December 2011, 03:59 PM
Cheers boys..
No cheers to you Bowdo, as you know you are now in Team OzGolf, it gives all us hackers a tie to the PGA. Bet there are not too many golf forums around the world with their own tour player!

Go get em mate.