PDA

View Full Version : Is it weird to feel like a junior all over?

timah!
5th November 2010, 09:33 PM
Have got my first Sat comp with my choppercap tomorrow.
And i'm keen as for it, but I feel like i'm 12 again, learning how to play golf all over.
I know the shots, I know the course management, I just can't get it right. I feel like i'm 3ft tall playing with all the 'adults' again.
Has anyone ever had this? I know it's just a 'getting back into it' kinda thing, but it just feels very random...

AndyP
5th November 2010, 09:37 PM
I haven't done it. I started competition golf as an adult.

What was your handicap in the end? Or are you a bit shy about it?

Don't let nerves get the better of you tomorrow. Remember the sort of golf you play to get those birdies.

timah!
5th November 2010, 09:43 PM
Handicap is 25. Hate it already. I know i'm better than that.

Not so much the nerves thing, I don't know how to explain it, but I just feel like the young kid in a group of adults. Don't ask me why.

I'm hoping it'll pass quickly if I can actually do the things I know I need to do (stay centered, keep a smooth and tempo'd swing), and put some good rounds together.

Ned
5th November 2010, 09:46 PM
Handicap is 25. Hate it already. I know i'm better than that.

Not so much the nerves thing, I don't know how to explain it, but I just feel like the young kid in a group of adults. Don't ask me why.

I'm hoping it'll pass quickly if I can actually do the things I know I need to do (stay centered, keep a smooth and tempo'd swing), and put some good rounds together.

What about just enjoying yourself and having fun!!!!!!!

Dotty
5th November 2010, 09:53 PM
Channelling Michael Jackson for the thread title?

Best wishes for tomorrow's game, Timah!

BroKar
5th November 2010, 09:57 PM
I am the same Timah, I am probably playing comp tomorrow at Wantima and when I play there I feel like a kid, my handicap is 27 (only played 3 games) but I regularly shoot in the 80's and have had 2 games in the 70's there when I don't have old people staring at me.

I got my handicap in my first 6-8 week back from a 10 year break, my last comp game was about 10 weeks ago and I have improved massively, so if I play anywhere near how I have been playing the last 4 weeks I should win DIV 2.

Played 13 holes there today and had to leave as i ran out of time and at that point I was 5 over.

Tomorrow I bet I shoot in the 90's

timah!
5th November 2010, 10:00 PM
What about just enjoying yourself and having fun!!!!!!!

Oh, I didn't mean to come across that i'm only 'playing to win'. And there obviously has to be some reconciliation of 'where I was' as opposed to 'where I am'.
I play golf because I enjoy it. I've always enjoyed it, and its why i've come back to the game. I have had a shithouse year personally, and decided that I wanted to do something I enjoy, so i've started playing again.

But there is still that desire...

timah!
5th November 2010, 10:00 PM
Channelling Michael Jackson for the thread title?

Best wishes for tomorrow's game, Timah!

Thanks Dotty.

I do wear a white glove!

Ned
5th November 2010, 10:06 PM
Oh, I didn't mean to come across that i'm only 'playing to win'. And there obviously has to be some reconciliation of 'where I was' as opposed to 'where I am'.
I play golf because I enjoy it. I've always enjoyed it, and its why i've come back to the game. I have had a shithouse year personally, and decided that I wanted to do something I enjoy, so i've started playing again.

But there is still that desire...

Tim wasn't saying you were.

Focusing on lots of things for your first comp round with the new handicrap, my point was, enjoy being back in thew swing so to speak, plenty of games ahead to be then working to all the things you listed.

Soak up the excitement and adrenalin, have a fun time and smash **** out of the ball.

Look at the NAGA, as much as it pains to say, he does take a lot of crap and still turns up for a laugh and to be laughed at!

timah!
5th November 2010, 10:09 PM
I'm the NAGA's #1 fan!

I'm playing witha guy from work...I'll need to practice my sledging!

jaybam
6th November 2010, 10:03 PM
Well how did you go mate???

timah!
6th November 2010, 10:20 PM
Great...for the first 6 holes. Then started thinking, then self destructed.
Was +2 off the stick off the blues after 6.
Immensly frustrating. Will start a blog tomorrow arvo.

MAZA68
8th November 2010, 08:20 PM
The way you strike the ball Tim, 25 won't be the handicap for long.

MAZA68
9th November 2010, 09:16 PM
25 H/C ............+ 2 after six - bet your playing partners were giving you a strange look!

timah!
9th November 2010, 09:25 PM
25 H/C ............+ 2 after six - bet your playing partners were giving you a strange look!

Haha...not really. Until my brain fade anyway!