PDA

View Full Version : Belly Putters

matty
3rd November 2010, 04:46 PM
Due to serious putting issues I am toying with the idea of trying a belly putter. Started looking on the bay and other sites.

I like the idea of the putter being anchored to the belly. It seems there would be more control to keep the putter on a nice arc and the face consistently squarer at impact. If that were true and simple wouldn't everyone be using them? I hardly see any around.

Does anyone use one or has used one? Any noticeable improvements or issues?

McMw
3rd November 2010, 04:50 PM
getting the BP with the right length is prob the most important part in choosing one...
once u've got the right fit, then it's just a matter of practice...I've had some good putting rounds with a BP...it does help...
it will take a while and some practice before it becomes "normal"...

Veefore
3rd November 2010, 05:56 PM
I have one that I go back to every now and again to reinforce the fundamentals. Getting it to the right length is critical. Just losing 2 inches around the belly when I was on a diet made mine unusable for a while (I put all the weight back on :)).

One of my friends is the worst short putter. He has the putter moving in all sorts of directions coming back into the ball with the club turning almost 90° in some cases (facing his feet )
Since using my belly putter he can't make those funky movements through impact and his stroke has really smoothed out. Once he has broken the bad habits he will surely go back to the short putter, as I did. But until then they really are a game saver.

Oh yeah, before the haters get in...

Not in the spirit of the game blah blah.... (as if we give a flying F for their opinion of what is in the spirit of the game or not)

matty
3rd November 2010, 06:02 PM
Not in the spirit of the game blah blah....

Haven't heard that one.

I reckon distance control might be an issue at the start after seeing what it feels like moving the 4 iron back and forward in the loungeroom. The stroke definately seems smoother though.

Tongueboy
3rd November 2010, 10:44 PM
belly putter? oh dear

Veefore
4th November 2010, 10:01 AM
Haven't heard that one.
You will.

I reckon distance control might be an issue at the start after seeing what it feels like moving the 4 iron back and forward in the loungeroom. The stroke definately seems smoother though.

It is, but you generally overcome it quickly.

WBennett
4th November 2010, 11:56 AM
Looked at a Heavy putter?

Not blowing up Bluescooters tyres for his sale, but its pretty hard to twist the clubhead at contact. Its also very handy for getting the pendulum going.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
4th November 2010, 04:54 PM
Distance control on long putts was what i found tricky. But i guess you never know until you give it a go.