PDA

View Full Version : Target Hcp

McMw
2nd November 2010, 07:41 PM
So, are you guys close to reaching your "target" hcp, or do you even have a target hcp?
Fren back in Perth is doing their best to maintain their 0 or even getting better than that...becoz of penant team or other comps they need to get into...

Couple of years ago (I was off 3 or 4 at the time), fren was asking me if I was gonna try to get to 0. At that time, all I said was I wanted to get to 2, and that would be good enuff, coz it's just a number on the board, and really, no incentive to get a low number, when we're limited to a few gross comps a year, and there's only like 20 out of 500 members who have a single digit hcp, and only 5 of us with 5 or less...

Because of the way this silly USGA Hcp Index, I noticed that I'm perhaps only 1 or 2 reasonable rounds away from getting the 0. Which was defn not a goal, but now that it's within reach, it's something to try for. I'm actually playing less golf nowadays, and defn not practicing, so if it happens...dum-ass-luck!!! :mrgreen:

henno
2nd November 2010, 07:49 PM
My short term target is to get back to around the 13-ish mark which is where I feel like I should be, but that would require actually playing golf once in a while. Longer term I really want to sort my shit out and dip into the singles.

LarryLong
2nd November 2010, 07:50 PM
At the other end of the scale, I'm having a crack at 18 by the end of the year. Really should be able to manage it, but I'm just not consistent and I think I'll start going the other way when my number of rounds catches up with me.

I reckon at your end of the scale though, you wouldn't want to be focused too much on your handicap just in case you start fretting every time you bogey a hole. I've always said that golf would suck for the scratch marker. One big blowout hole and your day's over.

Yossarian
2nd November 2010, 07:53 PM
I would like to get down to 15 or so. I can play all the shots needed, just not always in the same round :D

I also need to join somewhere I can play weekly.

haysey
2nd November 2010, 07:54 PM
My target handicap is 12.

BroKar
2nd November 2010, 07:54 PM
My Golf Link handicap says I play off 27 but thats because my first 3 comp games were in the first 6 weeks of me being back from a 10 year break.

Golf Shot which holds all my scores says and works out y handicap says I play off 18, I also shot 84 today around Wantima which is my home track, my goal is to get down to 12 which was my old handicap before i stopped playing.

Grunt
2nd November 2010, 07:55 PM
Ahh, I would like to get to low teens and if I have a go at it I probably could. Just not sure if I can put in the effort that would be required.

Other more realistic goal may be to get to under 18 once more before the end of the year.

markTHEblake
2nd November 2010, 07:59 PM
I noticed that I'm perhaps only 1 or 2 reasonable rounds away from getting the 0.

now that you have noticed, you are going to tank big time. You will get to the last hole knowing a par will do it and .....<gag> :-)

When i was a young man about 20+ years ago, all I wanted to do was get down to 3, cos I reckoned that any chopper could get to 4. I must have had 5-6 rounds on an exact 3.5 where bogied the last (a simple par 5) when a par would have nailed it. Every time the handicapper would update the boards on saturday night, he used to laugh at me cos he knew I wanted it so bad.

I have been on 3.5-6 so many times since and knowing what i needed to score to get that smallest reduction and missed by 'that' every time so many times.

Good Luck!

McMw
2nd November 2010, 08:07 PM
20 years ago (or even last year) for u guys in Aus would have been tuff...
but with this crappy USGA index, 1 bad round won't affect the hcp...u'll need at least 3 to go back the other way...
u were born in the wrong era!!! :lol:

mike
2nd November 2010, 08:28 PM
I'm having a crack at 18 by the end of the year.+1

Currently on 11.

Daves
2nd November 2010, 08:36 PM

You are a disgrace big Bird! Worse than the Ferret!;)

I am aiming for 9.4, only 3.1 to go:roll:

AndyP
2nd November 2010, 08:46 PM
I want 9 by the end of the summer and expect to be back to 12 by the end of the winter after that.

Onewood
2nd November 2010, 08:51 PM
I would just like to get my handicap to settle down, it's starting to get embarrassing.
8/3/2008 I was off 7, old system
last 20 rounds 2008 I would have been off 12.3 = 12 new system
last 20 rounds 2009 I would have been off 12.6 = 13
Last 20 rounds 2010 I am now off 15.9 = 16
The thing is I'm struggling to play to 20 (last 8 round I had 18 or better only 3 times) and only one of those was to my new handicap of 16
Thats enough already, this is getting to depressing :)

BrisVegas
2nd November 2010, 09:01 PM
I want 9 by the end of the summer and expect to be back to 12 by the end of the winter after that.

how are you going at Wolston Park with the ACR there? It's gotta be a challenge shooting 3 under par just to break even. I mean, a par is a par, even on an 'easy' course.

Outcast
2nd November 2010, 09:03 PM
Current is 7 - Target is 3

However, whilst I have had two fantastic rounds in the past 2 months my scores swing between 5 over and 15 over on a way too regular basis. Short game is very unreliable (working on it), putting was very unreliabel (working on it and improving) but, somedays just turn up to the course with no swing.....

Doesn't help that much that I only get to play regularly for 4 weeks at a time with a 6 - 8 week work enforced break... Have just gone back to cavity back irons with the hope that they will suit a swing that is not always perfectly on the money...

Anyways, 3 is my current target - plenty of practice happening; just got to get off my arse and get to PP where there is a half decent chipping green

Ferrins
2nd November 2010, 09:06 PM
Scratch or 18, so it's easy to know your shot holes.

haysey
2nd November 2010, 09:07 PM
You are a disgrace big Bird! Worse than the Ferret!;)

He's my inspiration!

sms316
2nd November 2010, 09:09 PM
I'm 5 above my target and getting further away.

Ferrins
2nd November 2010, 09:14 PM
I'm 5 above my target and getting further away.

You go up and I'll go down then we can meet halfway.

sol381
2nd November 2010, 09:15 PM
Another wantima lad. i was out there today as well. played like a dog tho had 81 after a 72 last week. still havent gotten around to even getting a handicap so might need you, dave or ray to sign a few cards. 6 or 7 would be a nice figure tho.

My Golf Link handicap says I play off 27 but thats because my first 3 comp games were in the first 6 weeks of me being back from a 10 year break.

Golf Shot which holds all my scores says and works out y handicap says I play off 18, I also shot 84 today around Wantima which is my home track, my goal is to get down to 12 which was my old handicap before i stopped playing.

ddasey
2nd November 2010, 09:20 PM
might need you, dave or ray to sign a few cards. 6 or 7 would be a nice figure tho.

No problemo.

AndyP
2nd November 2010, 09:23 PM
how are you going at Wolston Park with the ACR there? It's gotta be a challenge shooting 3 under par just to break even. I mean, a par is a par, even on an 'easy' course.
It is a bit tough, but I'm mixing it up with midweek rounds elsewhere at the moment. I had 38pts at Wally Park on the weekend, so that's effectively 1 over. I had a 72 here before OZgolf Champs which was very nice, but realistically, if I want a single digit handicap, I'll need to do that a few times or better, as it is playing to 8. As you say, it's going to be a challenge.

I was just telling Oxy on Saturday, that I need to get used to shooting a lot of pars, and if I can do that, it will be good for my confidence at other courses. After all, a par is a par.

For what it's worth, Nambour had an ACR of 2 or 3 under par.

Courty
2nd November 2010, 09:49 PM
I can play all the shots needed, just not always in the same round :D

:lol:

:roll:

My target is to be at least 1 shot higher than Haysey. 8)

KristianJ
2nd November 2010, 10:00 PM
I'd probably be happy to hover around 11 or 12 once I get the 20 comp rounds played.

But based on my efforts before obtaining a handicap, I could easily see myself dropping below 10. Just need to work a little on my consistency and mental discipline.

Courty
2nd November 2010, 10:05 PM
Seriously, I don't particularly care about my handicap anymore. I just yearn to play reasonably consistently.

timah!
2nd November 2010, 10:05 PM
My target handicap is actually target handicaps. Having not played for many years, it will be a process of improving, rather than just aiming for something a long way off.

Jarro
2nd November 2010, 10:14 PM
I would just like to get my handicap to settle down, it's starting to get embarrassing.
8/3/2008 I was off 7, old system
last 20 rounds 2008 I would have been off 12.3 = 12 new system
last 20 rounds 2009 I would have been off 12.6 = 13
Last 20 rounds 2010 I am now off 15.9 = 16
The thing is I'm struggling to play to 20 (last 8 round I had 18 or better only 3 times) and only one of those was to my new handicap of 16
Thats enough already, this is getting to depressing :)

I hear ya brother :(

Onewood
2nd November 2010, 10:21 PM
Gee Jarro, you've taken your golflink out of you're signature

Whats happening ? :)

Jarro
2nd November 2010, 10:38 PM
Gee Jarro, you've taken your golflink out of you're signature

Whats happening ? :)

Not much :roll:
http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4010903816

Dotty
2nd November 2010, 10:53 PM
Another 12 target here.

Needing 3 pars per nine seems about the right amount of stress for a leisure activity.

markTHEblake
2nd November 2010, 11:12 PM

Thanks, its nice to know that I am not the one with the crappiest form.

I throw in a couple more clangers and i have doubled my handicap inside of 15 rounds and by december i could be on 9. :-(

Lucasto23
2nd November 2010, 11:26 PM
First goal is back to 9, then 5 by the end of the year on 11.5 so got some work to do ;)

Golfnut
2nd November 2010, 11:29 PM
I would like to get down to 15 or so. I can play all the shots needed, just not always in the same round :D

That pretty much me as well. (maybe not the play all the shots bit though ;) )

just
3rd November 2010, 05:41 AM
I'm aiming for 6.

davepuppies
3rd November 2010, 05:50 AM
I am currently on 12.0, my goal is to be on 9 before christmas. i have reduced my handicap from 18 to 12.0 since jan this year, however a long long time ago i was a 2 marker.......

I think a single digit (even high - 8/9) is respectable enough these days for me.

Grunt
3rd November 2010, 06:56 AM
Another 12 target here.

Needing 3 pars per nine seems about the right amount of stress for a leisure activity.

Wow is that all I need to do? I get around 6 pars a round, pity about the 3 or 4 blow outs ;)

I just looked at my golflink and I drop, a played to 18 off today, my next best is a played to 24 and then a heap of close to 30. We shall see what happens.

Dcanto
3rd November 2010, 07:14 AM
Prior to getting married and having a family (about 4 years ago) I got down to as low as 8. I would love it if I could get back there again one day but like a lot of OzGolfers I'm just happy to play whenever I get the chance.

Webster
3rd November 2010, 07:20 AM
About 7 or 8 woul be ideal.

Onewood
3rd November 2010, 08:07 AM
Not much :roll:
http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4010903816

WOW you need to sit down and do some planning, and not in pencel :) you need some ink games

simmsy
3rd November 2010, 10:57 AM
I started the year on 17 wanting to get to 12 by Xmas. Im at 13.0 atm and running out of time. Hopefully can get 1 good game in before then. Longer term - 9.4 before Megawatty gets there;)

BrisVegas
3rd November 2010, 02:57 PM
About 7 or 8 woul be ideal.

I've settled in that region now and like it. It's enough shots to win a comp if you have a good round, but isn't so high that people think you're a chopper.

Pieface
3rd November 2010, 03:50 PM
I started the year on 30 with grandiose plans to be down to 20 by Xmas.

Jan 9th I had 49points in a stableford and got a 5 stroke chop to 25.

7 weeks to go current H/Cap 25 :lol:

I haven't put the work in so it probably a fair place to be. I certainly play more consistent golf, at least at my home track, but the 2-4 shots I consistently break my 'cap by just can't seem to lose me any more strokes at our social club.

Hopefully I will be 18-20 by next Xmas.

Toolish
3rd November 2010, 03:55 PM
Would love to get to 3 as that is the upper limit for a lot of comp entries.

the last 18 months i really have not had any desire to work on my game at all....thwt has come back in the last fortnight or so...guess we will see what happens. If I can pick up a club once a fortnight and play off 6 then some regular practice should get me out to 10 easily!!

chappy1970
3rd November 2010, 04:06 PM
Prior to getting married and having a family (about 4 years ago) I got down to as low as 8. I would love it if I could get back there again one day but like a lot of OzGolfers I'm just happy to play whenever I get the chance.

Exactly the same for me, pre family was down to 8 but since have slipped out to 10/11. Would love to get back into single digits but playing once a fortnight and not having many opportunities to practice between rounds is going to make it tough.

If I could throw in a practice session of some sort once a week, i think I could comfrtably play around 8. Now I just needed to work out how.

macjackass
3rd November 2010, 04:13 PM
I'd like to play a handicap round. Next one likely to be Mt Broughton in December.

Ferrins
3rd November 2010, 04:23 PM
First goal is back to 9, then 5 by the end of the year on 11.5 so got some work to do ;)

Which year would that be chopper.

Moe Norman
3rd November 2010, 04:49 PM
I'm on 9 and feel like its pretty accurate, although I don't play much comp golf anymore. I played at Wolston Park yesterday and had 31 points, but I hit it out of bounds 3 times which kind of cost me! Then I saw the ACR is 64!

My game lately has settled at a reasonable consistent level, even my putting is ok. It's just the chipping that is now so bad I actually chip around bunkers to save myself shots. I feel like if I could get my chipping to just adequate levels, I'd be a bit lower at about 5 or 6. If I could get up & down about 20% of the time and cut out the holes where I'm greenside for 2 and make 6, then this game would be much more bearable!

Ferrins
3rd November 2010, 07:30 PM
Stop chipping with your hybrid

Dcanto
3rd November 2010, 09:45 PM
Exactly the same for me, pre family was down to 8 but since have slipped out to 10/11. Would love to get back into single digits but playing once a fortnight and not having many opportunities to practice between rounds is going to make it tough.

If I could throw in a practice session of some sort once a week, i think I could comfrtably play around 8. Now I just needed to work out how.

I hear what you're saying. Now that the sun is up a bit earlier I am trying to slip down to the club at sparrows fart (while the rest of the family is asleep) and play a few holes, or hit a bucket of balls on the range, before getting ready for work. All depends on the weather but hopefully I can get some more regular practice in.

Lucasto23
3rd November 2010, 09:50 PM
Which year would that be chopper.

Pick one mate :)

Ferrins
3rd November 2010, 09:58 PM
The year of the good harvest.

oz
4th November 2010, 12:03 PM
I have slipped out to 7 - I would like to get back to 3 or 4. Short game needed - apply within.

Pieface
4th November 2010, 12:14 PM
Came in a stroke with my nett 68 on Sunday, won the steak too :D Now off 24 - improvement yay!

simmsy
4th November 2010, 03:06 PM
Pie, u r still WAnkers biggest bandit!

No I am not bitter about my rd1 loss to u in the MP last Dec.

Johnny Canuck
4th November 2010, 05:16 PM
Got to 2.4.

Currently off 6.1.

Target is 8.

I can still win comps, just not at my home course, which is fine. Had a nice win yesterday at my old track. The last 3 times I've played it off 6, I've won the comp.

Will be off 7 with one more bad round, but playing the oldie off 6 again in Sat.

Realistically, I'm about a 4-5 capper, but with work (hopefully) and family commitments, it's tough to get any lower than that.

Veefore
4th November 2010, 09:22 PM
My target for this year was to get from 10.0 down to 6.0 to qualify for the City of Perth Championships. Along the way I won the Mt Lawley Classic.

I managed to get to 6.1 before hurting my back again. I nursed it through pennants winning 3/5 matches in my clubs second team then came 2nd in my clubs A reserve club championships.

Since then I have only played a few rounds and my handicap has blown back out to 7.7.
Aa I have had to deal with my back my motivation to play golf has gone and if I play monday it may be my last round for a while.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Johnny Canuck
4th November 2010, 09:37 PM
My target for this year was to get from 10.0 down to 6.0 to qualify for the City of Perth Championships. Along the way I won the Mt Lawley Classic.

I managed to get to 6.1 before hurting my back again. I nursed it through pennants winning 3/5 matches in my clubs second team then came 2nd in my clubs A reserve club championships.

Since then I have only played a few rounds and my handicap has blown back out to 7.7.
Aa I have had to deal with my back my motivation to play golf has gone and if I play monday it may be my last round for a while.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

We heard this one a dozen times, but you keep coming back.

petethepilot
4th November 2010, 11:31 PM
Glad you spilled the beans before monday at LKCC JC. 4 handicap for you

Pete

Yossarian
4th November 2010, 11:34 PM
He shot 76 at Araluen on Sunday!

Johnny Canuck
4th November 2010, 11:55 PM
I shot 76 at KB on Wed but 85 at Hartfield today.

Yossarian
5th November 2010, 12:00 AM
Good thing LK is a bit wider than Harty.

Johnny Canuck
5th November 2010, 12:02 AM
I think I'm just allergic to goats.

Veefore
5th November 2010, 12:03 AM
We heard this one a dozen times, but you keep coming back.

And I'll be back again this time... eventually.

But not for at least a couple of months. I've got other commitments for all of November now and my back still hasn't settled down. I can play one round but am suffering for days after.

They say the best thing about beating your head against a wall is the relief when you stop. I'm hoping that stopping golf for a while has the same relief.

Previous quits due to back and other interests were 2 years, 2 years and 5 years.

Anyway, I reckon that I have had a great year this year as far as progress went.

dave1
5th November 2010, 10:04 PM
I dont set figure goals..I set process goals

get process right numbers come down......ie better puttting....better short game...more accuracy off the tee

Pieface
11th November 2010, 11:55 AM
Pie, u r still WAnkers biggest bandit!

No I am not bitter about my rd1 loss to u in the MP last Dec.

You will be happy OMS if we draw each other again in the 2011 M/P. I won the Summer Opening Day stroke event with a 66 and came in 2 more strokes. Now playing off 22 (actual 21.5).

If I manage another good round before Xmas I might actually get to my target of 20!

AndyP
11th November 2010, 12:25 PM
I've changed my mind. I want 8 now.

BrisVegas
11th November 2010, 12:47 PM
I've changed my mind. I want 8 now.

Wow, what brought that on? :shock:

AndyP
11th November 2010, 12:59 PM
I'm very confident that I can make 9, so I need to move the target. Plus it's a nice buffer into single figures and might see me pass Courty.

haysey
11th November 2010, 01:34 PM
I'm very confident that I can make 9, so I need to move the target. Plus it's a nice buffer into single figures and might see me pass Courty.

That's the only thing that keeps me motivated.:wink:

Tomson
11th November 2010, 03:16 PM
I checked my golflink today.. I'm no longer a 21 marker. Its a sad day in the tomson household. :(

haysey
11th November 2010, 03:27 PM
I checked my golflink today.. I'm no longer a 21 marker. Its a sad day in the tomson household. :(

Um ahhh. Teach you for being a flusher.

Where don't you get a shot now? Or is it easier to ask where do you get a shot now?

:mrgreen:

just
11th November 2010, 03:28 PM
How remarkable! I'm not a 21 marker either!

Tomson
11th November 2010, 03:39 PM
Um ahhh. Teach you for being a flusher.

Where don't you get a shot now? Or is it easier to ask where do you get a shot now?

:mrgreen:

I think its the 7th but don't quote me. Either way I still think the handicapper has it all wrong.

haysey
11th November 2010, 03:41 PM
I think its the 7th but don't quote me. Either way I still think the handicapper has it all wrong.

I'd think that's probably about right. Sucker, wanna play for cash?

No way the handicapper got it wrong. I'd think you should be handicapped on suspicion:D

Tomson
11th November 2010, 03:45 PM
I'd think that's probably about right. Sucker, wanna play for cash?

No way the handicapper got it wrong. I'd think you should be handicapped on suspicion:D

No... australia says No to playing haysey for cash.

I think the pot should get the handicapper to check the kettles handicap.... ;)

haysey
11th November 2010, 03:48 PM
No... australia says No to playing haysey for cash.

I think the pot should get the handicapper to check the kettles handicap.... ;)

Hey...Worst swing ever remember. It's a travesty that I'm not playing off 18. The injustice of it all:cry:

Tomson
11th November 2010, 03:52 PM
Hey...Worst swing ever remember. It's a travesty that I'm not playing off 18. The injustice of it all:cry:

was it worst swing or ugly swing... either way you handicap should be lower... maybe you need a 3ball srt with insert.

dean0820
11th November 2010, 06:50 PM
came back to australia 18 months ago and started playing regularly again.
my mates put me on 18 and it has gradually come back to 11 now, with the new handicap system.
i don't feel i'm anywhere near a single figure player but that's my goal.
i'm about to buy new irons (mp58s) so i may float out a bit for a while but hopefully will work my way back.

Courty
11th November 2010, 08:12 PM

FFS, first Haysey and now AndyP. Funny thing is I used to be the lowest marker in our regular grouping. If Solarman ever gets lower than me I know it's time to give it away. :oops:

Ned
11th November 2010, 08:29 PM
FFS, first Haysey and now AndyP. Funny thing is I used to be the lowest marker in our regular grouping. If Solarman ever gets lower than me I know it's time to give it away. :oops:

Go Russell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AndyP
11th November 2010, 08:32 PM
It's not a goal to get past you, just a bonus. It would be embarrassing to get passed by pansy hitters though.

haysey
11th November 2010, 08:33 PM
It was my goal. I'm a bit lost for a new one now.

AndyP
11th November 2010, 08:42 PM
It was my goal. I'm a bit lost for a new one now.I think that was some of my problem when I got to 9 last time. I didn't expect single figures, but always wanted to get there, and then it became 'Now what?'.

haysey
11th November 2010, 08:50 PM
I think that was some of my problem when I got to 9 last time. I didn't expect single figures, but always wanted to get there, and then it became 'Now what?'.

I ask myself that question every day.

A grade isn't all it's cracked up to be. I spend a lot of time at the moment wondering why I bothered. Usually mid round after I've just thrown something:roll:

BrisVegas
11th November 2010, 09:11 PM
I think that was some of my problem when I got to 9 last time. I didn't expect single figures, but always wanted to get there, and then it became 'Now what?'.

Why don't you set a more aggressive goal of, say, 4 or 5? 8 should be simple enough for you with twice-weekly golf these days. Up your birdie stats and you could get much lower.

AndyP
11th November 2010, 09:18 PM
I don't practice and twice a week should run out once school holidays start. I'd love more birdies though. That's what I need to take "the next step". There's no point aiming for 4-5 when I'm not going to commit time to the game. That's for later in life.

NK bitched about only two birdies over a couple of rounds of hitting plenty of greens. I've got two birdies from my last 50 or so GIR. Not good enough.

Courty
11th November 2010, 09:20 PM
It's not a goal to get past you, just a bonus. It would be embarrassing to get passed by pansy hitters though.

Too late, Haysey already got lower than me. :cry:

It was my goal. I'm a bit lost for a new one now.

I thought it was to get back to 12 by the end of the year. :roll:

haysey
11th November 2010, 09:29 PM
Too late, Haysey already got lower than me. :cry:

I am a flusher!

I thought it was to get back to 12 by the end of the year. :roll:

Thanks for reminding me...5 shots in 6 weeks? Piece of piss.

oncewasagolfer
11th November 2010, 09:38 PM
my target is to get to single figures by the end of the year which will be tough as I'm on 11.3 atm and only playing once a fortnight.

Courty
11th November 2010, 09:41 PM
I've been languishing in high single figures for some time now... generally playing rubbish and sneaking in the occasional good round which is enough to stop me from sliding out much further. I can only hope that I slip out to B Grade by the middle of next year so I can mount a B Grade challenge for the Club Champs & City of Cairns. 8)

Ned
11th November 2010, 09:53 PM
NK bitched about only two birdies over a couple of rounds of hitting plenty of greens. I've got two birdies from my last 50 or so GIR. Not good enough.

Bitched, smitched, but you missed the point I was making............GIR's mean nothing if you don't make good use of the opportunities, either because you don't concentrate or like me, consistently inconsistent in the putting stakes. And thats what happened in the last couple of weeks, didn't make the putts.

Mate of mine who doesn't play much these days would make more birdies missing a green and chipping then he would GIR and putting. That got him to a 4/5 handicap even though he was a very average putter.

Ned
11th November 2010, 09:56 PM
I've been languishing in high single figures for some time now... if I could generally play rubbish with hayseys swing I could slip out to B Grade by the middle of next year for the B Grade Club Champs & City of Cairns. 8)

Fixed it for ya!:D

:wink:

Daves
11th November 2010, 10:04 PM
I ask myself that question every day.

A grade isn't all it's cracked up to be. I spend a lot of time at the moment wondering why I bothered. Usually mid round after I've just thrown something:roll:

I heard yesterday that there is a proposed move to introduce D grade and tighten the existing grade bands up. Not sure on the proposed bands but it was mentioned that NZ already has A Grade at 0 to 7.

AndyP
11th November 2010, 10:09 PM
How can their be a proposed move for something that the clubs run themselves anyway? A grade is usually 0-10 or 0-12.

NK, I didn't miss any point. I was only lamenting my own birdie issues, which I wouldn't put down to either of the issues you mentioned (concentration/inconsistency).

Daves
11th November 2010, 10:21 PM
How can their be a proposed move for something that the clubs run themselves anyway? A grade is usually 0-10 or 0-12.

I asked basically the same question and was told it was being driven by the Sydney and Melbourne clubs, and whilst there would not be a requirement to copy, other state clubs were likely to adopt a similar approach.

With the new course ratings, it will be possible for most clubs to hold comps with different grades off different tees. I presume that is part of what is driving this move!?

Ferrins
11th November 2010, 10:30 PM
My goal is to play 20 stroke rounds and shoot the same score every round, it would cool on golf link.

MAZA68
11th November 2010, 11:10 PM
I heard yesterday that there is a proposed move to introduce D grade and tighten the existing grade bands up. Not sure on the proposed bands but it was mentioned that NZ already has A Grade at 0 to 7.

Surely this would be a club decision, not much point in having A Grade 0 - 7 when some smaller clubs would have only a hand full of players.

Ned
12th November 2010, 12:10 AM
Under the old AGU Handicapping System, the break down was for handicapping purposes.

Clubs/Associations etc have always had the option to set the grade breakdowns for specific competitions but with going to the USGA model, handicapping isn't set around fixed reductions and or increases.

In the FNQ Region, it has been 0-10, 11-17, 18-27 (Now 36) for a number of years.

Ned
12th November 2010, 12:13 AM
NK, I didn't miss any point. I was only lamenting my own birdie issues, which I wouldn't put down to either of the issues you mentioned (concentration/inconsistency).

So what is the issue resulting in 2 birdies from 50 GIR's then ?

Dcanto
12th November 2010, 07:44 AM
I've been languishing in high single figures for some time now... generally playing rubbish and sneaking in the occasional good round which is enough to stop me from sliding out much further. I can only hope that I slip out to B Grade by the middle of next year so I can mount a B Grade challenge for the Club Champs & City of Cairns. 8)

Hey..... steady on you blokes. I wanted to have B grade all to myself.
I don't get to play anywhere near as much as you sandbaggers anymore so there has to be some upside to going out from 9 to 12 as a result of the handicap changeover.

You should all be handicapped on suspicion. :twisted:

AndyP
14th November 2010, 11:14 PM
So what is the issue resulting in 2 birdies from 50 GIR's then ?The approaches not close enough (although closer than when I was missing lots of greens), cored greens and perhaps a weakness with reading medium/long putts.

LeftyHoges
15th November 2010, 10:25 AM
Current 'cap: 3.5

Goal 'cap: 3.4

Do you reckon I can friggin get there????

Have missed 15 foot birdie putts on the 18th green my last two rounds that would have got me to 3.

Now, haven't played since mid October and wont get to until mid December (if I'm lucky). That's way too friggin long to be languishing on the thought that I have to shoot 76 or better in my next round to get there.

87 next time out anyone????

simmsy
23rd November 2010, 02:55 PM
I started the year on 17 wanting to get to 12 by Xmas. Im at 13.0 atm and running out of time. Hopefully can get 1 good game in before then. Longer term - 9.4 before Megawatty gets there;)

Got to 12 today! Happy little Vegemite. Last comp game for the year more than likely so good to get it done.

Scottt
23rd November 2010, 02:58 PM
Given the UK system and Aussie system are no longer like-for-like, I will need to enter handicap cards when I eventually join somewhere here. I am hoping in doing that I can cut from my UK handicap of 7 to 5 or 6.

I'm trying to spend some time on the range to get some consiatency before I do that.

Moe Norman
23rd November 2010, 03:08 PM
I had my first game in 14 years off a double figure handicap on Sunday, although I actually played off 9 - golf link thinks I played off 10. (I thought I was still on 9)

I had 34 points and went back down to 9.2!

The system isn't confusing, but it is amusing

just
23rd November 2010, 03:14 PM
Given the UK system and Aussie system are no longer like-for-like, I will need to enter handicap cards when I eventually join somewhere here. I am hoping in doing that I can cut from my UK handicap of 7 to 5 or 6.

I'm trying to spend some time on the range to get some consiatency before I do that.

Isn't that just striving for a number for the sake of vanity? Or am I missing something?

sms316
23rd November 2010, 03:18 PM
Isn't that just striving for a number for the sake of vanity? Or am I missing something?

Aren't you supposed to want to be as low as possible? This is probably the easiest way to get a low 'cap.

Not everyone can be a 12 marker fudging around off 18 like you.

Dotty
23rd November 2010, 03:22 PM
Got to 12 today! Happy little Vegemite. Last comp game for the year more than likely so good to get it done.
Well done Simmsy.

Go and reward youself with new equipment.

just
23rd November 2010, 03:25 PM
Aren't you supposed to want to be as low as possible? This is probably the easiest way to get a low 'cap.

Not everyone can be a 12 marker fudging around off 18 like you.

That's 21 thanks. No problem being as low as possible, it just came out sounding that he wanted to be off 5 or 6 but wasn't able to play to that at the moment so would delay joining up/handing in cards until he could achieve that mark. But as you say, Scottt was probably just trying to say that he was going to practice a lot to be as low as possible.

Yossarian
23rd November 2010, 03:28 PM
Well done simmsy!

sms316
23rd November 2010, 03:30 PM
That's 21 thanks.

Faark!

:shock:

I pity the poor bugger who drew you in the matchplay.

Scottt
23rd November 2010, 03:44 PM
its not a case of delaying or trying to be off something less than I should, my club in england had very few comps - I played two in two years that weren't foursomes or match play -so the chance to cut my cap was rare. my stat program has had me as a usga 5 or 6 for ages, I was just unable to get that cut officially.

I could always just join marrickville and get a proper vanity handicap of 2 or 3!

simmsy
23rd November 2010, 03:59 PM
Well done Simmsy.

Well done simmsy!

thanks gents. good to get there. not knowing if i could get there at the start of the year, it was cool to be able to do it. it helped having a couple of games at easy courses like Mt Lawley where it's not hard to keep the ball in play.;)

lowest all time h/c done and dusted. Onto singles now, how hard can that be?:shock:

Yossarian
23rd November 2010, 04:04 PM
I think you'll get there if you buy some new, irons driverfairwaysputter damn it you've done all that. Lets face it, the wedges are too old, time for a change!

Bruce Dickinson
23rd November 2010, 04:06 PM
gone from 10.6 to 12.4 in six rounds, game at Joondy on Sunday should see the 13 handicap cracked and will be at 15 by February

simmsy
23rd November 2010, 04:10 PM
its amazing how quick you can get out with the new system. enjoy it when it comes along Bruce, i'm sure you'll be back inside 11 later next year.

Yossarian
23rd November 2010, 04:12 PM
gone from 10.6 to 12.4 in six rounds, game at Joondy on Sunday should see the 13 handicap cracked and will be at 15 by February

Bandit!!

Maybe you need a 460cc driver?

Sydney Hacker
23rd November 2010, 04:14 PM
its not a case of delaying or trying to be off something less than I should, my club in england had very few comps - I played two in two years that weren't foursomes or match play -so the chance to cut my cap was rare. my stat program has had me as a usga 5 or 6 for ages, I was just unable to get that cut officially.

I could always just join marrickville and get a proper vanity handicap of 2 or 3!

Where are you actually looking at joining ?

Given your lack of comps and the stats program data, do you maybe need to work on taking the social round "attitude" into comp rounds ?

Scottt
23rd November 2010, 04:25 PM
that's a fair point about the comp and social attitude.

I'm trying to decide what to do membership-wise short term until my long term option comes through. still working through a few options.

Sydney Hacker
23rd November 2010, 04:28 PM
that's a fair point about the comp and social attitude.

I'm trying to decide what to do membership-wise short term until my long term option comes through. still working through a few options.

I assume you are looking at/waiting for NSW. If you live over that way, why not try the coast ? It is pretty cheap, I assume you don't want to spend alot for short term, and a fair few of their members are also at NSW (apparently) so you get to meet prospective members from both clubs.

Pieface
23rd November 2010, 04:38 PM
Well done Simmsy!

TourFit
23rd November 2010, 05:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-EGT3yY41E&feature=related

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Just kidding...well done mate. You'll need some more TourFit crubs to get to single numbers though!

simmsy
23rd November 2010, 07:26 PM
if you remember correctly it was moving into the A4's that took me from 15 - 12 fwend.

sorry mate, your wedges are still rockin my world that's for sure.

Dotty
23rd November 2010, 07:38 PM
lowest all time h/c done and dusted. Onto singles now, how hard can that be?:shock:
27 years. :roll:

But it took me 12 years to get to 12, so I can set a reminder in Outlook for December, 2025.

TourFit
23rd November 2010, 07:40 PM
if you remember correctly it was moving into the A4's that took me from 15 - 12 fwend.

sorry mate, your wedges are still rockin my world that's for sure.

Are they the A4's that I worked on for you...?

Bruce Dickinson
23rd November 2010, 07:45 PM
Bandit!!

Maybe you need a 460cc driver?
the numbers don't lie, been averaging around 32-33 points a game and that makes me a 15 handicapper :lol:

simmsy
23rd November 2010, 08:04 PM
Are they the A4's that I worked on for you...?

yeah that'd be the ones, the ones Jaybam sold to me.

TourFit
24th November 2010, 12:12 PM
Ah good, I'll still take 'some' credit then :mrgreen:

(No more internet money for you for a while, I'm guessing!)

TourFit
24th November 2010, 12:13 PM
Strange double post was deleted from here !!!

MOVE ALONG.

simmsy
24th November 2010, 03:11 PM
Well done Simmsy.

Would love to but recent hybrid, driver & putter purchase has used up all my Internet monies.

McMw
6th January 2011, 08:10 PM
now that you have noticed, you are going to tank big time. You will get to the last hole knowing a par will do it and .....<gag> :-)

When i was a young man about 20+ years ago, all I wanted to do was get down to 3, cos I reckoned that any chopper could get to 4. I must have had 5-6 rounds on an exact 3.5 where bogied the last (a simple par 5) when a par would have nailed it. Every time the handicapper would update the boards on saturday night, he used to laugh at me cos he knew I wanted it so bad.

I have been on 3.5-6 so many times since and knowing what i needed to score to get that smallest reduction and missed by 'that' every time so many times.

Good Luck!

spoken like a messiah - tho it wasn't a case of choke on the last hole, more like a strangle hold before the round started :lol:
up to 1.3 now... :(

gave it a shot, reasonably good social rounds, but poor golf during the 2 comp rounds killed it...

LarryLong
6th January 2011, 08:26 PM
At the other end of the scale, I'm having a crack at 18 by the end of the year. Really should be able to manage it, but I'm just not consistent and I think I'll start going the other way when my number of rounds catches up with me.

Didn't make it - currently off 19 but not playing enough to really know where I'm headed.

Was there a 2010 predictions thread where people did a recap on the previous year and put down what their golfing goals were for the year? Is there one for this year?

Dotty
6th January 2011, 08:51 PM
Another 12 target here.

Stuffed that up and now on 8.2. (Bloody sidebets and team events making me concentrate.)

Set a new goal for 2011. Get the 'worst 10 of last 20' handicap to 12 (currently 13.4).

Moe Norman
6th January 2011, 09:15 PM
I think I'll be on 9 for life.

Everytime I sneak into double figures, I then have a good game.

IanO
21st January 2011, 06:24 PM
In 2010 I started on 20.4 and had a target of 18. I finished on 17.
In 2011 I started on 17.4 and have a target of 12. I am currently on 15.7

24 Jan - 15.0

Pieface
21st January 2011, 06:55 PM
Starting this year at 21.5. Not getting to play much so if I can get anywhere around 18 I'll be doing well I think.

Yossarian
21st January 2011, 07:42 PM
Ha! I only have to give you two shots!

Pieface
21st January 2011, 10:26 PM
Ha! I only have to give you two shots!

Damn I thought I'd get 4. I think my H/C is artificially low. A couple of good rounds and I am stranded thanks to the older WAGL systen of H/capping. Only going out 0.1 at a time

MegaWatty
21st January 2011, 10:31 PM
Why haven't they adopted the new system? Pretty stupid I'm thinking.

Pieface
21st January 2011, 10:32 PM
Because all the old men want that once a season blinder to keep them lower than they should be for the next 12 months. Helps for the pissing contests I guess

MegaWatty
21st January 2011, 10:41 PM
Tell em to get with the program!

senecio
3rd April 2011, 04:16 AM
So close (5.5).

Set myself a target to get to 5 this year (started on 8). This is still a PB for me as my previous best was 6.0 towards the end of 2009. Its only going to get harder from here with one of my lowest counters about to drop out next week.

I've been playing some great golf, but can't seem to keep the odd blemish off the card. 77 yesterday in a monthly medal with a triple bogie on the 5th. I shot 78 2 weeks with a double and a triple.

Hux
3rd April 2011, 08:34 AM
Started 2010 on 18 with a desire for 14 by end of year and finished on 18 after blowing out to 22 at one point thanks to the hcp system coming on board.

Started 2011 with the same desire of at least 14 by end of year. Currently 16.8

With a good round yesterday they have not updated Golflink - not sure if our water affected course is not rated even though it was played at full length and full course except with a number of bunkers full of water still. The Pro Shop reckoned it was going to play as a rated course - I sincerely hope so as my round yesterday should have dropped me down to around 15.5 and is normally processed automatically through the electronic system.

Ned
3rd April 2011, 08:47 AM
Started 2010 on 18 with a desire for 14 by end of year and finished on 18 after blowing out to 22 at one point thanks to the hcp system coming on board.

Started 2011 with the same desire of at least 14 by end of year. Currently 16.8

With a good round yesterday they have not updated Golflink - not sure if our water affected course is not rated even though it was played at full length and full course except with a number of bunkers full of water still. The Pro Shop reckoned it was going to play as a rated course - I sincerely hope so as my round yesterday should have dropped me down to around 15.5 and is normally processed automatically through the electronic system.

Whats ur GL #?:twisted:

PeteyD
3rd April 2011, 09:24 AM
36 the way I am playing at the moment.

davepuppies
3rd April 2011, 10:22 AM
Double post

davepuppies
3rd April 2011, 10:24 AM
I am currently on 12.0, my goal is to be on 9 before christmas. i have reduced my handicap from 18 to 12.0 since jan this year, however a long long time ago i was a 2 marker.......

I think a single digit (even high - 8/9) is respectable enough these days for me.

Update - currently sitting on a handicap of 5. I would love to drop to 3 or 4, but i know this requires a lot of practice as my course has a ACR of 2 less than par, so requires consistent scores of 2 over, and i dont have the full time game for it currently.

Daves
3rd April 2011, 10:39 AM
36 the way I am playing at the moment.

Geez, you are a glutton for punishment!

BroKar
3rd April 2011, 11:06 AM
Only started playing again after 12 years in June July 2010, started Jan 2011 on 24, now down to 16 with the goal being 12 by the end of the year, my end goal is single figures.

TheTrueReview
3rd April 2011, 11:50 AM
Only started playing again after 12 years in June July 2010, started Jan 2011 on 24, now down to 16 with the goal being 12 by the end of the year, my end goal is single figures.

What's your playing/practice pattern during that time? eg. comp once a week & practice twice a week?

Pencil
3rd April 2011, 01:41 PM
I'd like to think I could get to 9, although I am currently a 3 :mrgreen:

Yossarian
3rd April 2011, 01:44 PM

Well I have joined, now I just need to play the shots! Such a chopper :(

BroKar
3rd April 2011, 05:24 PM
I havent played alot of comp games as you will see if you go to my golflink, I would say I practice twice a fortnight, sometimes twice in the same week and other times none at all and play once per week.

The main patrt of my game I have worked on is stopping my lateral movement in the backswing.

Grunt
3rd April 2011, 07:01 PM
Back liking playing again, hope to get down to around 15-6 once again.

davepuppies
4th April 2011, 09:41 AM

Hi mate, sounds similar to me!

I gavce the game away in 97, and was playing off handicap of 2, i started back in december 2009 off a handicap of 20. You will drop the shots if you have been there before!

IanO
4th April 2011, 02:08 PM
In 2011 I started on 17.4 and have a target of 12.
24 Jan - 15.0
31 Mar - 14.3

Talart
12th April 2011, 09:31 AM
Started on 32 in 2009, reached 22 by January 2010. My realistic target was 15 and I am now on 14 at the minute. The dream is to reach 10 and see if I have anything left in the tank to go lower into single figures.

mudrat
12th April 2011, 02:38 PM
Started November 2010 on 25. Currently on 16.2.
Don't have a target just as low as I can go!

Choose Tapatalk.

MAZA68
14th April 2011, 09:48 PM
Havn't had a handicap for a couple of years now, but usually get out for a hit every fortmight or so. Can still manage the odd good round (to my standards) which is surprising, considering I don't practice.

Beno
15th April 2011, 10:02 AM
When i stopped playing in 2004/05 i was of 5
When i wasn't playing while on the booze (younger days) i was down to 2

That was all the old system
Currently after re handicapping and the new Hcap system, i'm of 12 (burglar)
Target is to work my way down to that 5 mark again once i remember how to play again - and see if i have the skill these days to go further.

Jake
15th April 2011, 10:08 AM
For now, playing once or twice a month, I'd be stoked to play consistently to 18 within a year.

braddles
15th April 2011, 11:50 AM
Aiming to get to scratch, however it will be hard over winter. I might have to start hitting the range, rather than working on my swing during the warm-up.

rubin
15th April 2011, 12:04 PM
After about 8 - 10 years off, have come back to a 22, after getting as low as 6 before giving it away. Slowly, slowly starting to get the rythm again. But it has taken me a while to realise I cant just grip it and rip it JD style as i could when i was a teenager.

Goal at the moment is to bring it down to a respectable level, but Im a pretty harsh critic of myself. First goal is to get to about a 12/13. and see what happens from there.

One good thing, I still remember how to hit the long ball (occasuionally)

Shadesy
15th April 2011, 01:00 PM
I started the year at 17 with a goal to get to 12.

Well I am 12 now! So I honestly think I can get to 9 by the end of the year. I have identified 3 areas of focus to get to 9:

* Get Up and Down from 100 metres in (focus used to be 30 Metres)
* Putt More Consistently (stroke is comfortable at the moment, and put more time into putting than anything else.)
* Take advantage of Par 5's. (Was Even On Wednesday through all par 5's -shot 79 and drove the ball terribly).

My next 5 rounds are also freebies (all don't count to my Cap), so a few low scores can see me drop quickly. The test will come when all my flags are due!

Good Luck to all in your quest. Set Little Goals along your quest to get to your target.

Scottt
15th April 2011, 01:42 PM

Well... nearly six months have passed.

I did join a club and I did get down to 5.

Then I got to 6.

Then I got to 7.

Then I got to 8!

I now have 20+ rounds in the system, so I have started to experience Flagged scores disappearing. This weekend I have a 7 that will be disappearing, so it could go another half-shot or so higher if I am not careful.

It's funny with the new system, I like how dynamic it is.

The goal is to get back down to 6 and re-assess. Currently my differential is 83. To be off 6 I need to cut that to 67.

AndyP
24th April 2011, 08:23 PM
I've changed my mind. I want 8 now.<br />

Wow, what brought that on? &lt;img src=&quot;images/smilies/icon_eek.gif&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; alt=&quot;&quot; title=&quot;Shocked&quot; smilieid=&quot;19&quot; class=&quot;inlineimg&quot; /&gt;<br />

I'm very confident that I can make 9, so I need to move the target. Plus it's a nice buffer into single figures and might see me pass Courty.<br />
Done, although overtaking Courty for a minimal amount of time wasn't overly satisfying. Maybe that will solve the &quot;What Now?&quot; problem I had last time.

That said, pennants is motivation enough at the moment.

Courty
24th April 2011, 09:00 PM
What's your current exact?

Yossarian
24th April 2011, 09:32 PM
AndyP your posts are reading really funny. Are you on meds?

AndyP
25th April 2011, 09:04 AM
I think it's the lightweight style doing it and changing things to html code.

It's 8.4, Courty.

BrisVegas
25th April 2011, 09:21 AM
good work andyp. now go get a job and play 1-2 games a month like the rest of 'us'.

Courty
25th April 2011, 07:25 PM
good work andyp. now go get a job and play 1-2 games a month like the rest of 'us'.

+1 ;)

davepuppies
26th April 2011, 06:28 PM
my current goal is to have a playing handicap of 4, so 4.4 will do it.

Currently 4.8

BrisVegas
26th April 2011, 06:42 PM
you can do it dave. I had a couple of years on a 4 handicap and have no desire to get back there!

backintheswing
26th April 2011, 07:25 PM
Just played my second comp game for the year due to work and a lot of wet weather. Had 1 over for 39 points, so really trying to get to 2 this year. Will be off around 3.6 after todays round, with around 5 games ready to drop off that aren't in my top ten.

davepuppies
26th April 2011, 07:31 PM
you can do it dave. I had a couple of years on a 4 handicap and have no desire to get back there!

I hear you Dion,

i played off 2 when i was younger, and it took a lot of the fun out of the game unless you shot even par or better..... but i am not overly fussed either way and will take time away if it loses its enjoyment (i just took 3 weeks off for that reason)

Scottt
2nd May 2011, 11:32 PM
Well, that helped - replaced a flagged round of +12 with a +4, losing 0.8 in the process. Sweet!

Ferrins
5th June 2011, 05:34 PM
Back to single figures after f..king around for a year.

IanO
6th June 2011, 04:24 PM
In 2011 I started on 17 and have a target of 12.
1 Jan - 16.2
22 Jan - 15.0
31 Mar - 14.3
6 Jun - 13.8

Moe Norman
6th June 2011, 05:56 PM
back out to 10 for the first time in 15 years, apart from one round in January.

Loving it!

Also nice to know that a few decent rounds won't see it plummet again like the old system. As soon as I play consecutive weeks, I shoot a good score.

Lucasto23
7th June 2011, 05:22 PM

Now 7.7 watch out 5 hcp. I'm hunting you down

Ferrins
7th June 2011, 05:29 PM
Can I play you for money when you get to five, lucas?

Lucasto23
7th June 2011, 05:40 PM
Yes :)

Ferrins
7th June 2011, 05:45 PM
I hope you make it Lucas as I love that serious golfer look you get.

mike
7th June 2011, 06:01 PM
Gone from 10 ----> 15.

Nearly there.

rexgrunt40
7th June 2011, 06:08 PM
7.2 atm would like to get to 5.0 by years end

oncewasagolfer
7th June 2011, 06:24 PM
14.0 atm am hoping to be back on single figures by years end.

BrisVegas
7th June 2011, 07:21 PM
out to 6.7 at the moment. The way I'm playing I should be on 14 soon enough.

Jake
26th January 2023, 07:21 PM
For now, playing once or twice a month, I'd be stoked to play consistently to 18 within a year.
What a wanker. Nothing like it. Doesn't even get out for a hit. Is all about tennis now. WHAT A WANKER.

3Puttpete
26th January 2023, 07:24 PM
What a wanker. Nothing like it. Doesn't even get out for a hit. Is all about tennis now. WHAT A WANKER.

I’m glad you cleared that up. I’ve been worried sick.

Jake
27th January 2023, 05:18 PM
I was worried that you were worried, Pete. I hope you're OK now.

BrisVegas
16th August 2023, 11:43 AM
out to 6.7 at the moment. The way I'm playing I should be on 14 soon enough.

:shock: I'm almost out to 14 now! Goal would be to get back to around 5-6 over the next 6 months or so now that I am playing again.

markTHEblake
16th August 2023, 02:19 PM
Burglar, no way am i playing with you!
Well except in a 4BBB etc

TourFit
16th August 2023, 05:35 PM
I am seriously handicapped ATM, yes!

Cervical Fusion - Dec 21
Carpal Tunnel x 2 - Jul & Aug 22
Left Rotator Cuff - Jun 23
Right Rotator Cuff - Dec 23 (pending!)

OVER IT !!!

BrisVegas
16th August 2023, 05:50 PM
Burglar, no way am i playing with you!
Well except in a 4BBB etc

Far from burgling mark, I deserve to be on a higher hcap at the moment. Sadly.