PDA

View Full Version : 26 shot penalty

Courty
31st October 2010, 10:02 AM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/golf/japanese-golfer-ryuji-imada-hit-with-26-shot-penalty-at-pro-celebrity-tournament-in-china/story-e6frf3oc-1225945683150

They don't explain exactly what happened for the 26 shots to be penalised, just something about preferred lies. Would it be 2 shots for each of 13 instances? If so, why wasn't he told before it got that far?

markTHEblake
31st October 2010, 10:15 AM
yeah, you would reckon with so many officials around, that would have been picked up earlier.

more info here
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/golf/american-crane-in-lead-in-malaysia-20101031-178fo.html

Tournament favourite Ryuji Imada would have been the joint first-round leader at the Mission Hills Star Trophy - except for the little matter of 26 penalty strokes. The Japanese player was docked 13 separate two-stroke penalties for taking incorrect drops yesterday.
Because of the soggy state of the Blackstone course, players were allowed preferred lies. Imada, who plays primarily on the US PGA Tour, assumed this meant he could replace his ball within one club length of its original position, as is the procedure in the US. However, the Asian Tour's rule is that the ball must be replaced within one score card's length. Imada was not told of his multiple mistakes until the 12th hole.

Jarro
31st October 2010, 10:38 AM
Seems pretty extreme to me :shock:

jaybam
31st October 2010, 12:38 PM
The officials need to be taken out and shot forwaiting so long to say anything to him.

Hux
31st October 2010, 12:56 PM
Isn't this why they have rules officials at these tournaments....?????? Pretty stuffed really.

McMw
31st October 2010, 01:36 PM
stupid asian tour... :lol:

raidrboy
31st October 2010, 02:19 PM
I thought he would have been notified by an official who are usually is close by but surely Imada or his caddy and are also at fault for not making themselves aware of any local rules prior to the tournament starting. I would think that all of us always check the notice board before we play a comp at our club or when visiting another club.

CobraSS
31st October 2010, 02:45 PM
but surely Imada or his caddy and are also at fault for not making themselves aware of any local rules prior to the tournament starting. I would think that all of us always check the notice board before we play a comp at our club or when visiting another club.

Exactly, it is the players responsibility to know the rules, no excuses, he is an idiot.

Tomson
31st October 2010, 03:11 PM
Exactly, it is the players responsibility to know the rules, no excuses, he is an idiot.

Thats a bit harsh.

Minor_Threat
31st October 2010, 03:29 PM
No sympathy from me either. The players are given the rule sheet before each tournament. It is no-one else responsibility but him to ensure he is aware of them. Pure laziness and un-professional!

AndyP
31st October 2010, 03:31 PM
I'm with CobraSS.

Tomson
31st October 2010, 03:38 PM
I suppose he's not complaining so therefore he must have taken it on the chin so therefore why does that make him an idiot. He stuffed up. Lucky he didn't have 10grams of cocaine in his pocket when he got the penalty.

markTHEblake
31st October 2010, 04:49 PM
You would wonder why his playing partner didnt say something, or even a spectator. Surely someone would have noticed he using up to a club length when everyone else wasnt.

matty
31st October 2010, 05:09 PM
You would wonder why his playing partner didnt say something, or even a spectator. Surely someone would have noticed he using up to a club length when everyone else wasnt.

Yeah, a bit strange. Wonder if he said anything to them.

dave1
1st November 2010, 11:16 PM
Um why didnt a playing partner say something

like um that wasnt a 4 it was 6......