PDA

View Full Version : The 2am Golf Lesson. For those who were not there...

virge666
22nd October 2010, 05:54 PM
Can't make any simpler than this...

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1660568316686&oid=144922823434

Enjoy

MegaWatty
22nd October 2010, 06:00 PM
Awesome!

You have got to love that man's passion. "Here and here".

Where was it Virge?

Ferrins
22nd October 2010, 06:02 PM
Have you got an instructional video from OXY?

PeteyD
22nd October 2010, 06:11 PM
The lesson reminded me of a few things I had forgotted. Hopefully they shall come into play tomorrow.

Eag's
22nd October 2010, 06:13 PM
Very nice :smt023

AndyP
22nd October 2010, 06:15 PM
Gee, that video is certainly doing the rounds.

Jarro
22nd October 2010, 06:16 PM
Looks a lot like what martinez is preaching

TourFit
22nd October 2010, 06:35 PM
Could you imagine the clash of "I'm The Best" ("No, I Am!) if he became Tigers' coach??

Jarro
22nd October 2010, 06:48 PM
He'd probably give Tiger the kick in the arse he deserves 8)

razaar
22nd October 2010, 07:08 PM
Gary Player..isn't he the one who said Bobby Locke hooked his putts. He even demonstrated how Locke did it. :shock: Even I know you can't hook a putt.

razaar
22nd October 2010, 07:11 PM
He'd probably give Tiger the kick in the arse he deserves 8)

Player had similar recreational habits to Tiger, so he won't be saying much on that topic.

LarryLong
22nd October 2010, 07:15 PM
So who played the part of "Skinny dufus getting abused by Gary Player" in your lesson?

Very interesting vid. I found the idea of what he does in the first bit of the takeaway a bit hard to grasp though - couldn't you bring it up any old way as long as you're not laid off at the top? I think if I did that I would start chipping worse because I really suck when I take the club back like that.

markTHEblake
22nd October 2010, 07:15 PM
I like what Player is doing with his right elbow - the opposite of tucking it in. Probably one way to explain it is to keep the right elbow outside the right hip/side long after you have hit the ball.

virge666
22nd October 2010, 07:22 PM
Looks a lot like what martinez is preaching

It is what everyone preaches - half the battle with every mid-marker is to stop them try to use the piss weak muscles in their shoulders and arms. Look at how he swings down - his arms and shoulders do SFA.

You square the club up with your body - not your hands.

Player had similar recreational habits to Tiger, so he won't be saying much on that topic.

Didn't Nicklaus have the same issues and Barbara stood by him for less than 300 million ?

I wonder who is responsible for Tiger's entertainment when he comes to Oz in a few weeks ?

virge666
22nd October 2010, 07:26 PM
Where was it Virge?

I am a fan of AimPoint - A guy called Mike Sweeney does it... it is a new version of Zero Line putting theory.

Got it off his Facebook page.

TourFit
22nd October 2010, 07:51 PM
I wonder who is responsible for Tiger's entertainment when he comes to Oz in a few weeks ?

Yoss of course...

razaar
22nd October 2010, 08:12 PM
It is what everyone preaches - half the battle with every mid-marker is to stop them try to use the piss weak muscles in their shoulders and arms. Look at how he swings down - his arms and shoulders do SFA.

What you say is very true. The difficult part for the less advanced golfer is putting the concept (of transferring the energy produced by the muscles of the legs and hips to the clubhead) into practice. One of the basic elements of doing this correctly is keeping slack out of the swing by maintaining the centre of the hub from the start of the downswing to past impact (a minor point that Mr Player ommitted in his lesson). If the centre of the hub (a point in the upper chest, mid shoulders) moves around during the downswing the shoulders become unstable requiring an adjustment by the arms and a substancial power leak in wasted energy. If you watch for this in the swings of the pros it will become immediately obvious.

AndyP
22nd October 2010, 08:17 PM
That's it, I'm outta here.

3oneday
22nd October 2010, 08:19 PM
Yep, what Gary said.

What'd you say raz ? :confused:

markTHEblake
22nd October 2010, 08:38 PM
any more videos of this segment around?

Yossarian
22nd October 2010, 09:04 PM
Love it.

dan
22nd October 2010, 09:19 PM
Gary should be teaching karate aswell.

razaar
22nd October 2010, 09:28 PM
http://www.pgatour.com/swingplex/02/39/83/index.html

As a point of interest, check the swings of those players facing towards the camera. Put the mouse cursor on the players mid upper chest at the time immediately following the transition from backswing to downswing. The head may move back and downwards as the upper body tilts but the hub centre stays pretty well fixed. It is common in all good golf swings. SMS, Pete the Pilot are two Ozgolfers that have this feature in their swings.

razaar
23rd October 2010, 06:33 AM
Player's analysis of Tiger's swing is way off the mark compared with a recent analysis of changes Sean Foley sees are necessary to improve his swing.

Tiger from a very early age has made a lateral move with his upper body on the backswing which pulls him off the ball. Woods - "It's how I was taught as a junior growing up, how to hit the ball farther, always move off the ball. But things have changed, technique has changed".

Foley's views on Woods' lowering of the upper body into the ball. - "Hogan's head probably dropped more than Tiger's but Tiger has been dropping his head away from the target as well. That's a death move that changes the path of the club and requires compensation with the hands. If you are hitting the ball with your hands, you're in trouble. Even the best players can only do that succesfully two days out of four."

Drill changes include stopping the head from moving to the right on the backswing (by holding a club against Tiger's right ear) and placing a glove under his right armpit to keep his arms closer to his body to prevent them dropping behind him on the forward swing to prevent getting stuck.

Ferrins
23rd October 2010, 06:46 AM
What you say is very true. The difficult part for the less advanced golfer is putting the concept (of transferring the energy produced by the muscles of the legs and hips to the clubhead) into practice. One of the basic elements of doing this correctly is keeping slack out of the swing by maintaining the centre of the hub from the start of the downswing to past impact (a minor point that Mr Player ommitted in his lesson). If the centre of the hub (a point in the upper chest, mid shoulders) moves around during the downswing the shoulders become unstable requiring an adjustment by the arms and a substancial power leak in wasted energy. If you watch for this in the swings of the pros it will become immediately obvious.

Carl Yung summed it up in less words
The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.

kev
23rd October 2010, 07:05 AM
The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.

I might have to borrow that one... :)

Oxy
23rd October 2010, 07:43 AM
Have you got an instructional video from OXY?

Golf lesson 101 on the way, that's if you want to learn about uncontrol?

Ferrins
23rd October 2010, 09:25 AM
I perfected that one tee shot that Oxy hit on the last day. It's been great as I can hit full shots for 1/2 an hour at the range and only need one ball.

sol381
23rd October 2010, 04:04 PM
People are just compilicating the golf swing. listen to this guy.. he explains it so simply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osD2U-s8i6E&feature=related

Iain
23rd October 2010, 06:39 PM
Haysey and Courty and fellow Nth Qlders should start getting lessons from Solarman!!!

Especially putting, he's had that putting aid for long enough that he should have putting down to a fine art!!!!!

Courty
23rd October 2010, 06:56 PM
Haysey and Courty and fellow Nth Qlders should start getting lessons from Solarman!!!

Especially putting, he's had that putting aid for long enough that he should have putting down to a fine art!!!!!

He still hasn't worked out how to use the bloody thing. :lol:

Eag's
23rd October 2010, 07:49 PM

This is the exact thing my coach has been trying to get me to do the last two lessons I have had :smt023

virge666
24th October 2010, 11:31 AM

I would agree with that in most things except golf... The golf swing is not a natural movement... Compare the baseball swing to a golf swing... it is EXACTLY the same. except we bend over from the waist in golf.

That bent over position screws up you balance, sequence, tempo and perception. The baseball swing can be done easily and powerfully by anyone with little to no tuition, you are lucky to make contact with a golf ball on the first lesson.

By not being a natural movement - you cant let your intellect work it out, as it will just **** it up. We are all living proof of that.

markTHEblake
24th October 2010, 04:29 PM
For those who were not there at the 2am lesson, this is how it was heard by those who were present.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2QavbO5PKg

sol381
24th October 2010, 05:36 PM
Is he speaking double dutch.

virge666
25th October 2010, 03:16 PM
For those who were not there at the 2am lesson, this is how it was heard by those who were present.

It is Afrikaans (http://www.google.com.au/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrikaans&sa=U&ei=aATFTMj0C4euvgP0va3ZCA&ved=0CBoQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNFBfVSwjGCRG4i5YHaZsjzW5Pvg9w).

And it is exactly how the instructor said it.

matty
25th October 2010, 09:33 PM
I found the idea of what he does in the first bit of the takeaway a bit hard to grasp though - couldn't you bring it up any old way as long as you're not laid off at the top?

You'd think so. Look at Furyk and others that have a far from perfect backswing.

This clip reminded me of a few things and I had some good results at the range today. Especially the part of getting the body through.

virge666
25th October 2010, 09:44 PM
You'd think so. Look at Furyk and others that have a far from perfect backswing.

This clip reminded me of a few things and I had some good results at the range today. Especially the part of getting the body through.

Ricky Fowler is another... shut takeaway then rotates it on plane.

markTHEblake
25th October 2010, 11:12 PM
And it is exactly how the instructor said it.

i heard you were speaking Swahili, or thats what they heard you speaking. possibly both?

PeteyD
25th October 2010, 11:24 PM
What he said made perfect sense to me.

haysey
26th October 2010, 07:28 AM
Me too.

razaar
26th October 2010, 08:57 AM
Ricky Fowler is another... shut takeaway then rotates it on plane.

I can see how you may call it a shut takeaway, but I consider it a square takeaway with the clubhead staying outside the hands longer in the backswing. Byrd has a similar takeaway just not as pronounced as Fowler's. For it to be shut he would have to rotate his left forearm slightly to the left and with his action this would put his arm plane under his shoulders. As you said he does rotate into plane but later than most players and with a slight rotation to the right . 30* is all that is needed to be square to the target plane. The rotation of the left arm to the right will increase in the downswing until it reaches a roll of about 90*. That is my concept of a square swing.

LarryLong
26th October 2010, 10:31 PM
Had a crack at this on the driving range in my lunch break today. Sometimes got it right, and did feel good and gain a bit of distance when I did. Shanked a lot of balls though, but I think that's because I'm still using the shoulders and not the 'power, man!'. I found that when I tried to just drive with the back leg and turn my middle quickly (without making the sssshhht sound, mind you, so I wasn't doing it completely right) my arms had a tendency to fly away from my body a bit. As it is I'm lining up with the toe of the club behind the ball, but I was still shanking occasionally.

Towards the end of the session I realised that I'm even chicken-winging a fair bit at the top of the backswing, and I can't find a takeaway line that feels right. My swing is just completely hosed at the moment.

Jake
29th November 2010, 11:48 AM
Can't make any simpler than this...Enjoy
This is great.

Stuartd147
29th November 2010, 12:04 PM
Ha Ha...simple...fantastic!

virge666
29th November 2010, 02:24 PM
Had a crack at this on the driving range in my lunch break today. Sometimes got it right, and did feel good and gain a bit of distance when I did. Shanked a lot of balls though, but I think that's because I'm still using the shoulders and not the 'power, man!'. I found that when I tried to just drive with the back leg and turn my middle quickly (without making the sssshhht sound, mind you, so I wasn't doing it completely right) my arms had a tendency to fly away from my body a bit. As it is I'm lining up with the toe of the club behind the ball, but I was still shanking occasionally.

Towards the end of the session I realised that I'm even chicken-winging a fair bit at the top of the backswing, and I can't find a takeaway line that feels right. My swing is just completely hosed at the moment.

Leg drive with no upper body rotation = Shanks + Chicken wing or just chicken wing.

Got that ? Now in english.

You are sliding your hips towards the target whilst keeping your upper body behind the golf ball.

to fix it.

Open your shoulders at impact - REALLY have that left shoulder pulling the club through impact.

LarryLong
29th November 2010, 09:27 PM
Leg drive with no upper body rotation = Shanks + Chicken wing or just chicken wing.

Got that ? Now in english.

You are sliding your hips towards the target whilst keeping your upper body behind the golf ball.

to fix it.

Open your shoulders at impact - REALLY have that left shoulder pulling the club through impact.

Makes a bit of sense - I think I am a bit of a chronic hip-slider at my worst, and I've had this feeling of 'pointing towards cover' in my set-up and swing in recent times.

Actually managed to fix it by forgetting everything and just concentrating on getting on plane in my backswing this time, but I still think need to keep an eye on this.

Really need to get myself a decent video camera.

titties_all_i_see_r_balls
29th January 2011, 08:19 PM
Great video Virge.

Very easy concept to understand, also helps when thinking about timing.

virge666
5th December 2011, 06:42 PM
bump for Yoss

Yossarian
5th December 2011, 06:45 PM
It isn't in the first post anymore?

Pieface
5th December 2011, 06:48 PM
It isn't in the first post anymore?

You are a rocket scientist :roll: Why do you think I was asking doofus

Yossarian
5th December 2011, 07:02 PM
I phrased it as a question to virge to be polite, do you want me to do any more leg work here for you.

I am going back to Skyrim now.

Pieface
5th December 2011, 07:09 PM
I phrased it as a question to virge to be polite, do you want me to do any more leg work here for you.

I am going back to rimming now.

I'll google up Gary Player when I get home and see if I can find it. Wouldn't want to interrupt your questing and dragonslaying.

Daves
5th December 2011, 07:12 PM
I'll google up Gary Player when I get home and see if I can find it. Wouldn't want to interrupt your questing and dragonslaying.

Working fine for me.

Shadesy
5th December 2011, 07:26 PM
I cant see it!

virge666
5th December 2011, 08:54 PM
Yeah. Working fine for me too

Pieface
6th December 2011, 12:04 AM
WAnkers must be barred from viewing :(

Johnny Canuck
6th December 2011, 01:44 AM
Gary's still there for me.

matty
7th December 2011, 08:13 PM
I love it at the end of the vid where Gary says, 'You're too thin, too small.' FFS he's Asian!! You don't see too many larger, stronger or overweight Asian golfers, as opposed to Caucasians.:oops:

Captain Nemo
7th December 2011, 09:08 PM
Virge can you post the link again?

idgolfguy
7th December 2011, 11:33 PM
I love it at the end of the vid where Gary says, 'You're too thin, too small.' FFS he's Asian!! You don't see too many larger, stronger or overweight Asian golfers, as opposed to Caucasians.:oops:Unless they're in the Korean LPGA.

zacdullard
8th December 2011, 03:20 PM
Hey Virge. I tried this today at the range and made great contact but everything went left. Can you think of anything that i could be doing wrong without seeing my crappy swing?

virge666
8th December 2011, 03:38 PM
Hey Virge. I tried this today at the range and made great contact but everything went left. Can you think of anything that i could be doing wrong without seeing my crappy swing?

Left going left or just stright left ?

zacdullard
8th December 2011, 03:39 PM
Starts roughly on target and then an ugly draw.

virge666
8th December 2011, 06:38 PM
Starts roughly on target and then an ugly draw.

60% of you weight on the front foot and keep it there.

TheNuclearOne
8th December 2011, 07:18 PM
Gary is still there in all his glory.

Captain Nemo
8th December 2011, 08:04 PM
Can someon post the ACTUAL youtube link please, i can't find it?

Courty
8th December 2011, 08:24 PM
Can someon post the ACTUAL youtube link please, i can't find it?

I don't know if it's on YouTube. The original link is from Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1660568316686&oid=144922823434

Captain Nemo
8th December 2011, 08:38 PM
Ta, i thought the original one was on youtube?

Pieface
8th December 2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the link Courty.

I am a waitress carrying a tray if I understand the lesson correctly.

Pieface
8th December 2011, 09:26 PM
Double post fail