PDA

View Full Version : Multi Club Memberships

golfbound
17th October 2010, 02:44 PM
Hi Guys just thought i would let you know that I found a great multi club membership. It's with Tee Off Australia they are the company that held the richest amateur event in Australia, The membership is $995 per year and you get free golf at over 100 courses in Australia 28 of those in the top 100.
Im from the gold coast so i can play at most of the top coarses for nothing that right buy your eagle membership for $995 then play some top courses check them out here
http://www.teeoffaus.com.au/golf-courses.php

Please let me know what you think of this.
I know courses are getting added all the time and they have corporate memberships which work out from $799 per person

love to here your thoughts

Oh and yes ive been playing well with a couple of net 66 and nett 64 games out at Gainsborough Greens and a net 71 at The Glades off the blacks the other week

for those of you who dont know me im the worst injured survivor of the bali bombings losing both my legs and now playing off 21 handicap.
Also on the front cover of the white pages gold coast and vice president of Queensland Amputee Golf Association
I invite everyone to come out and play in one of our monthly games check them out www.qaga.org.au

cheers

markTHEblake
17th October 2010, 03:09 PM
I know some people that play in this, and it does seem like an excellent concept for the 'hippy' golfer, that doesnt want to be a club member.

It seems to me though that it is more suited to a group of friends that get together and join, thats what the guys i know do. However for a single golfer, maybe not. Golf Bank was much the same apparently.

I feel a little sad that programs like this are taking golfers away from golf club membership, but thats the day and age we live in. For some reason most of us are car park golfers now, they care little about making a golf club their home (we Ozgolfers do that to). I do not know what clubs can do to turn the tide back, except I guess promote their course to these types of organisations.

golfbound
17th October 2010, 03:28 PM
Do you know any courses that might like to join up with Tee Off Australia or would you like to see any courses on there that are not on there list yet

Hawkers2008
17th October 2010, 05:33 PM
Do you have some affiliation with TOA Ben?

golfbound
17th October 2010, 05:56 PM
No i dont i played in the $100,000 shoot out they held at the glades and it was a great event and i now know a couple of the guys there thats all. I just think its a great idea to be able to play so many courses free after you play you $995.00 membership and i read on there site if cheaper if you have a group. What are you thoughts on this type of membership.

TheTrueReview
17th October 2010, 07:00 PM

I feel a little sad that programs like this are taking golfers away from golf club membership, .... For some reason most of us are car park golfers now, they care little about making a golf club their home . ...

But Mark, some golf 'clubs' aren't a very attractive option as a place to hang out -> dank places with ageing facilities, features, architecture & staff. The way pubs, bars & coffee shops have been 'trendied up' over the last decade or so, should have been a clear indicator to golf clubs that they needed to move with the times, or people will go elsewhere for their social venues. I think the horse has bolted for many clubs.

golfbound
17th October 2010, 07:05 PM
Well said TTR
I was a member of one of the clubs here on the gold coast (northern end) and my god the club house is like a 20 year old relocatable home, I went in there a couple of time but only to go to the toilet. I have to say I am very happy with the club i am with now Gainsborough Greens they are alway clean and tidy and very friendly staff, i do believe they are getting a new club house at Gainsborough in the near future
I am proud to be a member there.

What is everyone elses club like would love to hear.

markTHEblake
17th October 2010, 07:21 PM
But...

I agree with all that. Drink driving is also the issue, and has been for some time. Some clubs have taken it on and tarted themselves up, and gone bust in the meantime. It doesnt matter what clubs do, the carpark golfer phenomenon is booming, so many people dont even have one drink after playing, they sign their cards and bolt. An attractive clubhouse and facilities is not going to make a difference there.

They say the reason for that is we are time poor these days, i dont get it.

markTHEblake
17th October 2010, 07:22 PM
What is everyone elses club like would love to hear.

I am at Helensvale. Sounds like you were at the other Helensvale club.

golfbound
17th October 2010, 07:23 PM
i alway go up and have a nice feed after my game the food at gainsborough is great

TheTrueReview
17th October 2010, 07:51 PM
i alway go up and have a nice feed after my game the food at gainsborough is great

But Gainsborough has a nice modern club house. I think Emerald Lakes does it the best. You see lots of families & non-golf people going there for a meal, entertainment or whatever. Of the Brisbane courses which have club houses where I'd hang (not necessarily for a game of golf) if I lived near them, include Indooroopilly & Northlakes. Both have modern clubhouses with a nice view of the course. Pacific tries hard with it's entertainment & to me is a stand out amongst the suburban clubs (although it definitely needs a tart up). Nudgee & Virginia? Next.

golfbound
17th October 2010, 07:56 PM
yeah mark it is up that way not wanting to point fingers. I had a few problems there. When i was a member i always had to book well in advance if i phone on the day i was told there were no spots available but ringing on the same day but as a non member and paying for my golf there were spots available ( not the best way to treat your members). I know a few guys that have left for this same reason. i think about 4 of them look like joining Tee Off Australia or Gainsborough.
Sorry to say but i had alot of problems at that club and none where i am now.

golfbound
17th October 2010, 07:56 PM
dont get me wrong the guys who ran it were ok it was just the way they ran things

markTHEblake
17th October 2010, 08:16 PM
I think Emerald Lakes does it the best. You see lots of families & non-golf people going there for a meal,

Exactly, but Emerald Lakes is not a golf club. It is a Restaurant that has a golf course attached to it (that is the official mantra of the management). And hardly any golf club anywhere has the financial backing to build a premises like that, the funding for that place comes from one guys loose change.

( not the best way to treat your members)

it is well known that the club is run to maximise bums on seats - possibly the most crowded golf course on the gold coast. I wonder what their membership retention levels are like after all those 1 year specials wear off.

golfbound
17th October 2010, 08:35 PM
Exactly, but Emerald Lakes is not a golf club. It is a Restaurant that has a golf course attached to it (that is the official mantra of the management). And hardly any golf club anywhere has the financial backing to build a premises like that, the funding for that place comes from one guys loose change.

it is well known that the club is run to maximise bums on seats - possibly the most crowded golf course on the gold coast. I wonder what their membership retention levels are like after all those 1 year specials wear off.

i dont think it would be many i know of a few that done the deal and would never go back

what is helensvale golf club like I have never played there.
Im playing the glade tomorrow wonder how wet it will be?

golfbound
17th October 2010, 08:38 PM

Yeah not sure if many will go back i know a few that wouldnt go back there

whats helensvale like a s a course?

Im playing the glades tomorrow wonder how wet it will be?

BrisVegas
17th October 2010, 08:53 PM
I had a good time for a while as a mega member, but am much happier at a club now. It's nice to walk up to the club for a coffee or a meal and have the staff know you. Its nice to feel like I belong somewhere.

golfbound
17th October 2010, 09:00 PM
where are you a member at BrisVegas

BrisVegas
17th October 2010, 09:02 PM
East Ipswich golf and country club.:wink:

TheTrueReview
17th October 2010, 09:05 PM
I had a good time for a while as a mega member, but am much happier at a club now. It's nice to walk up to the club for a coffee or a meal and have the staff know you. Its nice to feel like I belong somewhere.

But Brookwater (IMO) is the complete package. Great course, modern club house, recent addition of the tennis courts (moving to a country club, not just golf club). There's nothing 'tired' about Brookie.

To MTB, I understand your points mate.

golfbound
17th October 2010, 09:13 PM
so what do you guys do for work and are any of you interested in playing as social playings in our monthly events around Brisbane and the Gold Coast

markTHEblake
17th October 2010, 09:52 PM
what is helensvale golf club like I have never played there.
short, but its greens is its defense. Qld Rail makes our golf course get flooded easily so it gets rather soggy. Its niche is that it has no snob classes, BYO electric carts for no charge, no nominations, not overbooked, members own it, and less than 1kpa. The style of the course makes it attrractive to the grey hairs, which is the majority of the members, and the women get a very good run there compared to others.

so what do you guys do for work

i work a standard 9-5, so only play Saturdays.

and are any of you interested in playing as social playings in our monthly events around Brisbane and the Gold CoastNope, not at any price. The current Ozgolf Rota is enough for me, that plus pennant gives me about 15 rounds a year.

besides, its weird making arrangements to play golf with strangers on the internet. They might be an axe-murderer!

golfbound
17th October 2010, 09:59 PM
you are a weird person. Are you sure your not from that other helensvale course
oh and we have a online shop to book the games and you can read all about our members, anyway you have your mind set in your own little world. I think your just scared of getting beaten by a person with 2 prosthetic legs..

markTHEblake
17th October 2010, 10:01 PM
Definitely not - they hate me there.

MegaWatty
17th October 2010, 10:07 PM
Worked you out pretty quickly Blakey. ;)

markTHEblake
17th October 2010, 10:13 PM
no, its 10 years of kickin their arse.

MegaWatty
17th October 2010, 10:13 PM
no, its 10 years of kickin their arse.

I meant Ben.

markTHEblake
17th October 2010, 10:16 PM
Ah....
Ben you missed the Joke :-), we are all axe-murderers here, most of us met on ozgolf blind dates - and hey, look at us, one big happy family!

markTHEblake
17th October 2010, 10:17 PM
* except for Solarman.

sms316
18th October 2010, 09:24 AM
But Mark, some golf 'clubs' aren't a very attractive option as a place to hang out -> dank places with ageing facilities, features, architecture & staff. The way pubs, bars & coffee shops have been 'trendied up' over the last decade or so, should have been a clear indicator to golf clubs that they needed to move with the times, or people will go elsewhere for their social venues. I think the horse has bolted for many clubs.

Good post and right on the money.

One of the bigger problems with clubs in SEQ that I have noticed since moving here is that club boards are overrun by old retirees. These people are typically the frugal type who want to pay the lowest fees possible and will never play anywhere other than at their home track. People who never play elsewhere never have any idea how far behind the times they are.

FWIW - IMO multi-club memberships are killing clubs and should never have been permitted in the first place. The problem is that GA, GQ etc only care about participation numbers and don't give a shit about the clubs.

markTHEblake
18th October 2010, 07:00 PM
One of the bigger problems with clubs in SEQ that I have noticed since moving here is that club boards are overrun by old retirees

Isnt that the case everywhere?

FWIW - IMO multi-club memberships are killing clubs and should never have been permitted in the first place.

You just reminded me of something, these golf clubs 'without real estate' as they call them in the USA, are supposed to be limited in a sense.
One can only get aan official AU handicap from these social clubs if they have not being a member of a real club for at least two years. The intention of that policy is for these groups to be a pathway for non-golfer to real golf clubs, and not the other way around.

I expect that TeeOff is working around that restriction like a couple of others had done before, and instead of going with the Golf Access system, are getting the handicaps managed by a real home club.

The problem is that GA, GQ etc only care about participation numbers and don't give a shit about the clubs.

One way or another, we are not going to stop these organisations from prospering, as they usually deal with the privately owned resort/public courses, and that market doesnt care because traditional clubs is where they are taking the business away from.

Do you have any ideas?

I cant think of anything better than what Gailes/Nudgee have started doing - ie only providing reciprocal benefits to Full Members, which is how it was always done before (if only because these classes of membership never existed before)

Daves
18th October 2010, 07:07 PM
The reciprocal lurk was an abuse, and deserves to be closed. But to me there seems to be a market and some justification for a discounted limited membership with conditions.

And it also seems to me that other clubs that completely close the door on mega type discount members are doing the game and themselves no good either. Charge them a full social green fee, limit their ability to play in comps if fields are tight, but don't just wipe them and think they are going to go away.

AndyP
18th October 2010, 07:07 PM
Only Nudgee. I don't think Gailes care anymore.

Grunt
18th October 2010, 07:16 PM
Bathurst has taken the country membership away I think . My new card says full playing member

Eag's
18th October 2010, 09:02 PM
I have only stayed with the Mega membership deal due to the fact that I work shift work. There is no point shelling out $800-$1200 a year if I don't get the chance to play as often as I like.
Once we buy our house (early next year hopefully) I will be definitely joining a club as a full member.

BrisVegas
18th October 2010, 09:39 PM
Once we buy our house (early next year hopefully) I will be definitely joining a club as a full member.

What the? Thought you were dead against home ownership?

MAZA68
18th October 2010, 09:52 PM
Super/Mega Memberships have there place and do suit certain lifestyles, work choices or financial commitments.

Not everybody has the time or finances to commit to a $1000.00 + membership (in some cases more with joining fees) and get the full benefits from it. Super/Mega Memberships offer the opportunity for golfers to be part of a club and hold a handicap (if they choose) and give the opportunity to play at other courses as well.

Eag's
18th October 2010, 10:07 PM
What the? Thought you were dead against home ownership?

Long story mate, next time we have a hit I will fill you in.

golfbound
18th October 2010, 10:26 PM
Tee off have some great deal there is a good one through house of golf for $99 you get upto 30% off green fees a $100 house of golf voucher a $100.00 golfing holiday voucher and a box of callaway balls what are your thoughts on thin=s membership or there is the other one if you get 5 or more people its $799.00 per year per person and you get access to over 100 courses with no green fees or single membership for $995. Some of the courses on the coast are pretty good you have The Glades, Lake Lands, Robina woods and The Colonial to name a few and Brisbane you have Brook Water, North Lakes and pacific harbour to name a few up there.
I think its a great deal and if it directs players to courses i think that good for the course.
What do you guys think? Dont you think it will help the courses out buy sending people to play there.

markTHEblake
18th October 2010, 10:33 PM
I think its a great deal and if it directs players to courses i think that good for the course.

good for all those courses owned by private corporations, bad for the courses owned by the golfers.

golfbound
18th October 2010, 10:35 PM
well if the courses owned by golfers would let them on it would be good for them too hey
might get them some more new members don't you think

Minor_Threat
19th October 2010, 08:11 AM
I think Ben is on some sort of commission with Tee Off. Im from the old school and hate the idea!

sms316
19th October 2010, 08:11 AM
well if the courses owned by golfers would let them on it would be good for them too hey

The sooner the clubs follow the lead of Nudgee and not permit non-club members to play in competitions the sooner that the loophole loses it's credibility. They are bad for clubs and only a short-sighted club manager/board would permit them to participate.

Look at Eag's as an example. If he can't play anywhere he will join a club in one way or another (even if it is joining a small country joint).

AndyP
19th October 2010, 08:29 AM
Look at Eag's as an example. If he can't play anywhere he will join a club in one way or another (even if it is joining a small country joint).Or give up playing competition golf.

just
19th October 2010, 09:17 AM
The sooner the clubs follow the lead of Nudgee and not permit non-club members to play in competitions the sooner that the loophole loses it's credibility. They are bad for clubs and only a short-sighted club manager/board would permit them to participate.

Look at Eag's as an example. If he can't play anywhere he will join a club in one way or another (even if it is joining a small country joint).
But Nudgee gets plenty of people playing in comps so taking a few mega-members out isn't going to hurt them. I'm not sure other clubs are in that kind of position.

sms316
19th October 2010, 09:41 AM
But Nudgee gets plenty of people playing in comps so taking a few mega-members out isn't going to hurt them. I'm not sure other clubs are in that kind of position.

How many clubs in SEQ struggle for comp numbers?

just
19th October 2010, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure, you would know better, but I do know that Nudgee's Wednesday and Friday comps are pretty full and the Sunday comp is bigger than other clubs and mostly full.

sms316
19th October 2010, 09:50 AM
An educated guess - next to none in Brisbane. Probably the same for the GC. Same for SC. Nearby "country" courses might be the exception.

If you could get a membership at a country course for say, under $300, wouldn't that be a better result for all concerned?

just
19th October 2010, 09:55 AM
Really, even their Sunday comps which are normally run late in the day? One of the reasons I joined Nudgee was the early Sunday comp and I note plenty of mega members used to play in that (probably why they stopped them). IMO joining a country course that you never or hardly play is the same as mega membership, I would advocate joining a club in Brisbane for a little more money like Sandgate or Nudgee College to help keep them alive, at least your more likely to play them.

BrisVegas
19th October 2010, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I think if money's an object or you like to play lots of different courses then a cheap local course makes the most sense. Wolly Park, Sandgate, Logan etc are all good options. If it all gets too hard/expensive for me here, I'll be joining Wolly Park in a heartbeat. A few of my mates and AndyP play there and it seems to have a great atmosphere.

just
19th October 2010, 10:35 AM
Subtle and very funny.

TheTrueReview
19th October 2010, 10:36 AM
... I would advocate joining a club in Brisbane for a little more money like Sandgate or Nudgee College to help keep them alive, at least your more likely to play them.

Good point.

BrisVegas
19th October 2010, 10:40 AM
Subtle and very funny.

heheheh.

AndyP
19th October 2010, 10:41 AM
Subtle and very funny.
:(

golfbound
19th October 2010, 04:35 PM
OK Guys im not getting any commission from them. I just saw there membership when i played in the Jupitors $100,000.00 shoot out they held and thought it was a good idea it gave people more choice brought new members to different golf courses they wouldnt normally play at, so i just thought it looked good thats all.

just
19th October 2010, 04:45 PM
Don't worry about it Ben, some of these guys are just so negative.

golfbound
19th October 2010, 04:58 PM
yep worked that out they must have pretty depressing lives lol better to be positive and happy hey

AndyP
19th October 2010, 06:14 PM
Nah, better to be depressed and negative, that way when something good actually happens, which is rare, it's a nice surprise.

Minor_Threat
19th October 2010, 06:37 PM
yep worked that out they must have pretty depressing lives lol better to be positive and happy heyYeah I'm depressed because I am a member of a golf club.. hmmm

golfbound
19th October 2010, 08:16 PM
dont you find being so negative makes you a little depressed

Minor_Threat
19th October 2010, 08:27 PM
dont you find being so negative makes you a little depressedI am only negative towards things I dislike.. Im glad you enjoy your Multi Club membership, I just find the way you are 'sprouting' on about this membership too full on. Accept that not everyone is going to agree with you and because they don't it does not make them a 'negative' or 'depressed' person!

golfbound
19th October 2010, 09:47 PM
i dont have muti club membership I am a gold member at gainsborough greens. I just thought it looked like a good idea thats all, oh and i do support other clubs i play at a different club every second week. What do you do to support ther clubs?

AndyP
19th October 2010, 10:01 PM
Why would you need to support other clubs besides your own? Especially when the cost of membership is so expensive.

golfbound
19th October 2010, 10:06 PM
i support them by playing there and buying food and drinks from there club i think its good to support as many clubs as possable

Minor_Threat
19th October 2010, 10:13 PM
i dont have muti club membership I am a gold member at gainsborough greens. I just thought it looked like a good idea thats all, oh and i do support other clubs i play at a different club every second week. What do you do to support ther clubs?I do nothing to support other clubs. Why should I? I made my choice to join the club I did and I do my best to support it..

golfbound
19th October 2010, 10:19 PM
ok well i support my club to i hold olf days there i book the course normally 2 days of the year i try hard to support everyone

Minor_Threat
19th October 2010, 10:21 PM
ok well i support my club to i hold olf days there i book the course normally 2 days of the year i try hard to support everyoneI am having a hard time understanding your posts dude. I think I'm going to leave you to it.. Good Luck!

LarryLong
19th October 2010, 10:22 PM
i dont have muti club membership

Just for the sake of healthy trolling on the forum, I'm going to call bullshit on this one. :)

That said, I'm impressed with the QAGA stuff. Serious question - were you a golfer before you lost your legs, and how did you go about learning to play after the amputations?

golfbound
19th October 2010, 10:27 PM
no i was never a golfer and i have only been playing about 3 years i have had 6 coaches 4 of them tried to tell me i have to transfer my weight forward which i can not do. Its hard to find someone to help me out and teach me how to get better as most coaches try to teach me how a able bodied person play. I have pretty much just tought myself how to play i do ok just trying to sort out drivers at the moment. I have alot of trouble with uneven ground but thats about it. All my power comes from my arms and i my average drive is about 250 m

golfbound
19th October 2010, 10:28 PM
QAGA helped me out alot we have about 40 members and you learn a bit off all of them.
So what bit are you calling bullshit

LarryLong
19th October 2010, 10:48 PM
no i was never a golfer and i have only been playing about 3 years i have had 6 coaches 4 of them tried to tell me i have to transfer my weight forward which i can not do. Its hard to find someone to help me out and teach me how to get better as most coaches try to teach me how a able bodied person play. I have pretty much just tought myself how to play i do ok just trying to sort out drivers at the moment. I have alot of trouble with uneven ground but thats about it. All my power comes from my arms and i my average drive is about 250 m

That's interesting, and perhaps a little bit surprising that some coaches wouldn't be able to help you design a swing that suits your body. I would have thought many of them would often coach older men who are limited in movement in other ways and the methods should be similar, but I guess that's not the way they work. I figure if you're hitting the driver 250 you've probably hit upon a reasonable swing somewhere along the line anyway.

If you can't find a driver after a few months on this forum you'll never find one. :)

QAGA helped me out alot we have about 40 members and you learn a bit off all of them.
So what bit are you calling bullshit

The bit about not having multi club membership. Your earlier posts in this thread don't exactly ring of having no connection to the mob you were giving a plug to.

I think this forum is slowly turning me into a grumpy old bastard like the rest of them. :)

markTHEblake
19th October 2010, 11:22 PM

Ben, Teeoff Australia is taking golfers away from Club Membership.

But Nudgee gets plenty of people playing in comps so taking a few mega-members out isn't going to hurt them.

I don't think thats the issue, playing rights at other golf clubs is a priviledge, whichi is one of the advantages of joining a golf club. Nudgee like others are saying that golfers that are 'less than' full members are not entitled receive similar privileges, such as concessional green fee. I think that is a reasonable position to take, and I go further to suggest that is the rule at most golf clubs, just not policed yet.

If you could get a membership at a country course for say, under $300, wouldn't that be a better result for all concerned?

Ozgolf could adopt a golf club, that would be nice.

AndyP
20th October 2010, 07:56 AM
Ozgolf could adopt a golf club, that would be nice.

We should have bought Moggill Country Club and got 69er to fix the first green for free.

Tongueboy
20th October 2010, 08:41 AM
250m and no legs?

BrisVegas
20th October 2010, 08:48 AM
250m and no legs?

Plenty of 22hcap guys hit it 250m. Pretty impressive without legs though!

sms316
20th October 2010, 09:16 AM
Plenty of 22hcap guys hit it 250m. Pretty impressive without legs though!

I bet dc68 hits it 250m legless on a regular basis.

Lucasto23
20th October 2010, 09:20 AM
Yeah that's freaking impressive

Daves
20th October 2010, 09:27 AM
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/local-sport/fortune-swings-for-golfer/story-e6frepno-1111115739516

golfbound
20th October 2010, 10:08 AM
Thats a old story. Steve Darmody is a very good coach he helped me out alot.

golfbound
20th October 2010, 10:10 AM
alot of practice. Just Trying different shals now on drivers I have one of the golf shops helping me out alot setting up my clubs for me. So handicap should be coming down more soon :)