PDA

View Full Version : Golflink iPhone App

Flavzz
14th October 2010, 08:45 PM
Saw this advertised somewhere and thought I might download it for easier handicap reference on the phone only to see they are charging 5.99 to download for u to check ur own hcp which u can already check on the net for free.

I don't mind paying for useful apps but why does golflink already try charge us for everything, accessing data about our own clubs scores etc (golfmates) seems to be a real load to me. I know the golfmates topic has been covered on here and ppl were not happy to pay out of principal. We already pay our yearly fees. Just gets my goat why they have to charge for everything.

Courty
14th October 2010, 08:48 PM
I downloaded this in a moment of insanity. The only real benefit it has is push notifications when your handicap has been updated.

Flavzz
14th October 2010, 08:49 PM
And it gets better Courty, I just read that the 5.99 is only for a 1 year subscription! U have to renew it.. FFS

markTHEblake
14th October 2010, 08:49 PM
Golfmates is obviously a value added service, as is the iphone app. i see no reason to object to them charging for that. Golflink is not a charity.

Flavzz
14th October 2010, 08:58 PM
Mark the iPhone app is just another tool for them to flog off advertising sales for callaway etc. The app is more simple than anything. I see no reason why paying golflink customers should pay more for such a basic app with no value added features really. And then the nerve to ask for a renewal fee u got to be joking..

Flavzz
14th October 2010, 09:00 PM
I'm directing my spit at golflink and not u mate..

henno
14th October 2010, 09:15 PM
http://www.golflink.com.au/iphonewebpages/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=1234567890

Save your six bucks.

And you're welcome.

markTHEblake
14th October 2010, 09:17 PM
Mark the iPhone app is just another tool for them to flog off advertising sales for callaway etc.
as is their right. If they dont make money out of the database, they will charge GA and clubs more to manage the system.

I see no reason why paying golflink customers should pay more for such a basic app with no value added features really. And then the nerve to ask for a renewal fee u got to be joking.. then dont pay for it!

Flavzz
14th October 2010, 09:26 PM
I won't. Just thought some of u guys would think the same.

TheTrueReview
14th October 2010, 11:29 PM
I won't. Just thought some of u guys would think the same.

Flavzz, haven't bought it. Won't be doing it. My opinion? Same as yours. It's a take.

Grunt
15th October 2010, 05:49 AM
as is their right. If they dont make money out of the database, they will charge GA and clubs more to manage the system.

then dont pay for it!

Mark, dont they already charge clubs for it? Isn't that is why so many took so long to go on it?

markTHEblake
16th October 2010, 10:49 AM
That doesn't mean that Golflink cannot or should not charge for value added services. It makes no business sense at all to go to the trouble and expense of proving the information systems like "mates" if there is nothing in it for them.

keogh
16th October 2010, 11:08 AM
I have this app and didnt mind paying for it as I had a free ITunes card. I do think they should have 2 versions like other apps though. 1 - A free one with the callaway advertsiing and very basic. 2 - where you pay for it (shouldnt have to renew it each year and without advertising and with a few extra features, maybe like being able to view other peoples handicap. All you can currently do is view yours. For the $5.99 price tag, it is very basic. To sum up, I dont mind paying for something like this but i dont like being ripped off, which alot of people that have bought this app feel.

Grunt
8th August 2011, 05:13 PM
Does anyone have the Excel file that allows you to work out your handicap?

MegaWatty
8th August 2011, 05:16 PM
The new version of the Mates app is pretty good. I know a lot of people hate paying for Mates, but if you do, I recommend getting the app.

Grunt, Golfnut has a spreadsheet.

Grunt
8th August 2011, 05:28 PM
I dont like having to pay to see how shit I am :)

fredstar
17th August 2011, 06:30 AM
Happy to pay for it. Equivalent to a beer or two a year...big deal.