PDA

View Full Version : I'll vote for you

chappy1970
10th October 2010, 07:50 PM
Dennis, I don't know why you'd put yourself though it, but I'll vote for you.

Moe Norman
10th October 2010, 08:33 PM
what am I missing here?

Peter
10th October 2010, 09:01 PM
Southern GC board elections?

LarryLong
10th October 2010, 09:09 PM
Miss Australia?

markTHEblake
10th October 2010, 09:15 PM
i'd vote for him if i knew there would be fireworks if he wins.

3oneday
10th October 2010, 09:45 PM
Sexpo ?

Yossarian
10th October 2010, 09:46 PM
Chappy could you please post the full names of all those who are running, and any other relevant info so we to can decide who to vote for?

Dennis
10th October 2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks Chappy

My first point of order will be to ban firecrackers and posters of personal details from our great club :)

Webster
11th October 2010, 07:32 AM
Dennis, what are you going to do if you get elected? Good luck for having a go .

chappy1970
11th October 2010, 08:56 AM
Dennis with 3 kids I thought you'd already have enough on your plate

Dennis
11th October 2010, 02:54 PM
I got permission from the wife before i put my name up

I have also sat with the pres and vice pres re: required time required to properly do the role and expectations. All good there

I guess my main reason for wanting to be involved is the lack of representation of my age demographic anywhere at the club. 35yrs and under is 33% of the membership base, yet in my time at the club, never has had any representation at board level

sms316
11th October 2010, 03:00 PM
You should model all of the greens there on that shitty par 3 that the club drunk designed.

Webster
11th October 2010, 06:06 PM
Dennis, will it go to a vote, or are you a cert to get in?

Dennis
12th October 2010, 02:14 PM
2 spots....3 nominees

sms316
12th October 2010, 02:25 PM
What expertise do you bring to running a golf club?

Serious question. I doubt many people who stand for golf club boards have any professional experience. Passion for a club is paramount to bugger-all.

BrettM
12th October 2010, 05:59 PM
Boards don't, and shouldn't, run golf clubs sms. They set policy and identify future direction. A good board lets the paid employees undertake their roles as expected.

sms316
12th October 2010, 06:03 PM
Boards don't, and shouldn't, run golf clubs sms. They set policy and identify future direction. A good board lets the paid employees undertake their roles as expected.

Running was a poor choice of word, although I have managed to work for a few micro-managing boards lately. Having said that, my point still stands.

Dennis
12th October 2010, 10:08 PM
What expertise do you bring to running a golf club?

Serious question. I doubt many people who stand for golf club boards have any professional experience. Passion for a club is paramount to bugger-all.

What would make someone qualified to be on a golf club board sms?

You obviously have a view...please share

Ned
12th October 2010, 10:16 PM

You obviously have a view...please share

Apart from meeting the demographics of representation that you have decided on as well as discussions with two other board members, what qualifications, experience, skill sets and capablities do you bring to the role and how will these be of benefit to the members that you would be representing Dennis if elected ?

mike
13th October 2010, 12:29 AM

Good question.

I was told by somebody a few weeks ago that the main prerequisite for being a board member was that you had to be self employed.

What a complete load of tug.

Passion for a club is paramount to bugger-all.Sure but it's a good start.

sms316
13th October 2010, 07:29 AM
Passion is over-rated Mike. Hitler had plenty of it and we know how that ended.

I swear most board members join for the free drinks and to see their names on a wall, but they have no idea about the golf club industry at all. One of the major dramas is that most boards are full of old coots and in turn they only see a club through their own eyes.

Obviously Dennis is not one of them and the fresh view might help, but not if he has no idea what he is doing.

PerryGroves
13th October 2010, 08:00 AM
Good question.

I was told by somebody a few weeks ago that the main prerequisite for being a board member was that you had to be self employed.

What a complete load of tug.

Mike, I had two mates in their 30's on a club boards, think the comment was probably more around having flexible working hours. The guys I know were required occasionally to be somewhere at 10.30am, somewhere else another day at 2.30pm. I work for the man so don't have a lot of flexibility. Both ended up quitting anyway because the club was getting in the way of managing a family, a business and having some down time.

Dennis, presume as you have spoken to the President and Capt. they told you about the voting rules, some are a bit odd. Had another mate who was one of 5 going for 4 positions. Wasn't the amount of ONE votes he got but the amount of FIVES. He ran second in 1's but got outvoted by a massive block of members all voting him as 5.

PeteyD
13th October 2010, 10:28 AM
oh, Black ball rules.

Dennis
13th October 2010, 11:39 AM
Again sms, you have dodged the question.

What expertise should a board member have to be successful?

Ned
13th October 2010, 12:19 PM
Apart from meeting the demographics of representation that you have decided on as well as discussions with two other board members, what qualifications, experience, skill sets and capablities do you bring to the role and how will these be of benefit to the members that you would be representing Dennis if elected ?

Are you dodging my questions Dennis ?

Dennis
13th October 2010, 12:27 PM
Are you dodging my questions Dennis ?

Depending on the sms reply, I may have to withdraw my nomination...therefore Im parking your questioon for the moment :)

Webster
13th October 2010, 06:55 PM
Dennis, don't withdraw. The place down there is universally known to be run by ****wits, and I can't see you being signifcantly worse than those there at the moment. So have a go and see what happens.

Dennis
13th October 2010, 09:50 PM
Dennis, don't withdraw. The place down there is universally known to be run by ****wits, and I can't see you being signifcantly worse than those there at the moment. So have a go and see what happens.

disagree. the current board seem to be proactive and aligned

its a nice change

Webster
13th October 2010, 10:05 PM
So Dennis, what are you going to push for if you get in?

Dennis
13th October 2010, 10:08 PM
Why do i need to "push"?

Perhaps trying to understand the business and offering guidance vs the strategic plan may be a better way to go?

Webster
14th October 2010, 06:50 AM
Which holes are you going to fix first Dennis?

Ned
14th October 2010, 07:12 AM
Depending on the sms reply, I may have to withdraw my nomination...therefore Im parking your questioon for the moment :)

You are currently nominated and did so before sms's post, you still are nominated, so the reasons are still current.:wink:

Look forward to the "unparked' response!:razz:

Dennis
14th October 2010, 08:09 AM
Which holes are you going to fix first Dennis?

The greenskeepers sheds and diesel storage area. It's unsafe

Ned
15th October 2010, 09:54 PM
So which Club are you a member at Dennis ?

Dennis
15th October 2010, 10:25 PM
So which Club are you a member at Dennis ?

A club where Chappy can vote for me...or not

Ned
15th October 2010, 10:56 PM
A club where Chappy can vote for me...or not

Its all good, you obviously have concerns about posting the Club's name where you are running for public office.

If its the Club I think it is, got a couple of contacts there, be interesting to hear their feedback.

PeteyD
16th October 2010, 06:40 AM
I think it starts with S and gets a lot of bad comments on TGF. Dunno why.

Dennis
16th October 2010, 07:46 AM
I think it starts with S and gets a lot of bad comments on TGF. Dunno why.

One of the mods over there claims he had a bad experience there many moons ago........and therefore, the shit flinging started

sms316
16th October 2010, 09:16 AM
It's a cracking joint.

PeteyD
16th October 2010, 10:07 AM
People banging on the door to get in?

andigold
16th October 2010, 10:13 AM
One of the mods over there claims he had a bad experience there many moons ago........and therefore, the shit flinging started

I think you'll find he's an administrator and not a mod Dennis. :)

Good luck with it mate, but I guess if you don't get in, with all the time you'll be saving you shouldn't have any trouble convincing the little lady to let you run around in the Southern Footy League next year. :)

Dennis
16th October 2010, 12:33 PM
I think you'll find he's an administrator and not a mod Dennis. :)

Good luck with it mate, but I guess if you don't get in, with all the time you'll be saving you shouldn't have any trouble convincing the little lady to let you run around in the Southern Footy League next year. :)

Andi,

I hope to do both. I miss running around with umps who wear orange caps :)

rodders
16th October 2010, 04:44 PM

Its a great tale!

Good luck Dennis.

Ned
16th October 2010, 05:01 PM
Apart from meeting the demographics of representation that you have decided on as well as discussions with two other board members, what qualifications, experience, skill sets and capabilities do you bring to the role and how will these be of benefit to the members that you would be representing Dennis if elected ?

No need to unpark question Dennis, apparently at this particular Club Candidates get to post a election statement or bio profile.

Dennis
16th October 2010, 05:43 PM
No need to unpark question Dennis, apparently at this particular Club Candidates get to post a election statement or bio profile.

Yes they do, and I believe if you read that bio, I have answered most of your questions

mike
16th October 2010, 06:16 PM
Is there a link to any of this?

I'm on the verge of being interested.

Dennis
16th October 2010, 06:33 PM
Is there a link to any of this?

I'm on the verge of being interested.

There is if you are a member of the said club via their website.

I'm not sure it is appropriate to post the bio's of the nominees outside of the membership base they are attempting to represent...although I'm sure someone will post the files in an attempt to inappropriately troll

(http://www.otkids.com.au/)

mike
16th October 2010, 06:48 PM
OK.

No longer interested. Good luck.

Dennis
16th October 2010, 06:51 PM
OK.

No longer interested. Good luck.

Cheers

It's not that interesting anyway

mike
16th October 2010, 06:57 PM
fwiw I spent 2 years as captain of my club. Admittedly nothing like the scale of Southern your club.

If you want to do it and think you can do a good job, go for it. Don't listen to these guys. You may not have the credentials or experience just yet but that will come in time.

Again good luck.

Dennis
16th October 2010, 07:05 PM
fwiw I spent 2 years as captain of my club. Admittedly nothing like the scale of Southern your club.

If you want to do it and think you can do a good job, go for it. Don't listen to these guys. You may not have the credentials or experience just yet but that will come in time.

Again good luck.

Cheers Mike

It's been many a year since I listened to any of these guys.....

the only time I regret not listening is when Jack warned me against bringing unknown posters to my club. sms proved Jack right

sms316
16th October 2010, 07:53 PM
There is if you are a member of the said club via their website.

I'm not sure it is appropriate to post the bio's of the nominees outside of the membership base they are attempting to represent...although I'm sure someone will post the files in an attempt to inappropriately troll

(http://www.otkids.com.au/)
It's tempting. But I really can't be stuffed (although pissing Dennis off has its benefits). Anybody who wants to see it can PM me their email address and I'll send the PDF.

(It ain't that difficult to get hold of, FWIW Dennis you probably spent a lot of time telling everyone how little time you have).

Dennis
16th October 2010, 09:22 PM
why did you take the bait sms?

PeteyD
16th October 2010, 11:54 PM
Can't help himself.

Ned
17th October 2010, 09:00 AM
Dennis, sms or both ??????

Ned
22nd October 2010, 07:23 AM
The feedback on your election profile is certainly "different" Dennis.

The interesting comment is apparently how you have portrayed yourself to the members of your Club in the election profile is certainly different to how you have portrayed yourself here and in the TGF (???) site. (It was said you were almost like a Chameleon - I had to go a look that one up as I couldn't remember what it was:oops:)

Interesting hairstyle in the profile photo apparently, hopefully it does score points with the market you are hoping to represent (See Post #11). That was commented on though that you may have marginalised your self with the other 67 percent of members.

Although apparently the comments of one of you opponents has been indicating as a good chance for you, (No time and short of cash to pay fees) but I want to get on th board.

The CPA guy apparently looks set for the Finance/Governance role on the Board if that is vacant.

Anyway time will tell, you will be judged by your members to be elected based upon a number of factors not restricted to what they see on a self prepared election profile.

LarryLong
22nd October 2010, 08:08 AM
This lost yet?

WBennett
22nd October 2010, 11:58 AM
Dennis

Good luck with getting on board.

I was considering running on my home club board until I spoke to Parlyboy about the time commitments required. With two little ones and on a Committee of another organisation, I just could not afford the time to be at the club doing score entry/checking for 3 or 4 hours every second or third weekend which was their expectation.

markTHEblake
24th October 2010, 06:11 PM

this post is worthless without the link! :razz:

Dennis
24th October 2010, 09:15 PM
Dennis

Good luck with getting on board.

I was considering running on my home club board until I spoke to Parlyboy about the time commitments required. With two little ones and on a Committee of another organisation, I just could not afford the time to be at the club doing score entry/checking for 3 or 4 hours every second or third weekend which was their expectation.

Good point in here.

I spent considerable time networking with the existing board memners to understand time expectations. At the end of the day, I am not running for pres or captain, and the spot I have put myself up for is 2 x Thursday nights a month in regards to formal requirements for course and house meetings. No expectation at all for weekends, events, etc. If that was there, I would not have run.

Purely a governance role....not a "pour drinks behind the bar and hand out trophies" roles

Got the wifes support to go for it so I am

Dennis
24th October 2010, 09:19 PM

I didn't ask for any

The interesting comment is apparently how you have portrayed yourself to the members of your Club in the election profile is certainly different to how you have portrayed yourself here and in the TGF (???) site. (It was said you were almost like a Chameleon - I had to go a look that one up as I couldn't remember what it was:oops:)

Everything you see on the internet is true, especially postings from anonymous sources on a blokes golfing forum

Interesting hairstyle in the profile photo apparently, hopefully it does score points with the market you are hoping to represent (See Post #11). That was commented on though that you may have marginalised your self with the other 67 percent of members.

You are sledging my hair?

The CPA guy apparently looks set for the Finance/Governance role on the Board if that is vacant.

It's a female, and no it is not

Sydney Hacker
27th October 2010, 08:56 AM
So how did the great vote go Dennis ?

Dennis
27th October 2010, 09:23 AM
So how did the great vote go Dennis ?

Very satisfactorily :)

Sydney Hacker
27th October 2010, 09:30 AM
So congratulations are in order are they ?

Dennis
27th October 2010, 09:50 AM
Yes

and thankyou

Sydney Hacker
27th October 2010, 09:53 AM
Yes

and thankyou

Hang on a second, I said are congratulations in order? I didn't actually offer any :)

Dennis
27th October 2010, 09:56 AM
Hang on a second, I said are congratulations in order? I didn't actually offer any :)

well, you should :)

PeteyD
27th October 2010, 09:57 AM
Well done!

Moe Norman
27th October 2010, 10:08 AM
In other news, I'm now a Board Member of the Western Magpies Australian Football Club and we just signed a deal to partner the Lions Reserves and provide players. Shame I'm over 21.

razaar
27th October 2010, 10:09 AM
All the reports I've heard about Southern have been good. Kari's a member there, so it must have been his words that I listened to. Incidentially, he is holidaying in Caloundra this week so I am looking forward to catching up with him for our annual golf game.
Dave and Hux joined us last year at Bribie GC.

Dennis
27th October 2010, 10:20 AM
All the reports I've heard about Southern have been good. Kari's a member there, so it must have been his words that I listened to. Incidentially, he is holidaying in Caloundra this week so I am looking forward to catching up with him for our annual golf game.
Dave and Hux joined us last year at Bribie GC.

Southern is a fantastic course and a great club full of wonderful people (like most clubs I assume)

AndyP
27th October 2010, 10:26 AM
In other news, I'm now a Board Member of the Western Magpies Australian Football Club and we just signed a deal to partner the Lions Reserves and provide players. Shame I'm over 21.I don't suppose they are looking for any back pockets in their mid-30s either? Although I would be fitter and faster than 14 years ago.

Dennis
27th October 2010, 10:30 AM
In other news, I'm now a Board Member of the Western Magpies Australian Football Club and we just signed a deal to partner the Lions Reserves and provide players. Shame I'm over 21.

you might get exposure to fev ;)

Webster
27th October 2010, 10:32 AM
Southern is a fantastic course and a great club full of wonderful people (like most clubs I assume)

Dennis, as a board member (congratulations), the important thing is that you believe this and promote it at every opportunity, despite what the broader golfing public may say.

Dennis
27th October 2010, 10:35 AM
Dennis, as a board member (congratulations), the important thing is that you believe this and promote it at every opportunity, despite what the broader golfing public may say.

By broader, you can obviously only mean you (when in a shit stir mood) and one other noteable former member? ;)

Webster
27th October 2010, 10:37 AM
Not really Dennis. There are some nice giolf holes on the old nine, but the new nine is appalling IMO. It's almost always in very good condition though. Not having a dig, just being honest!

Dennis
27th October 2010, 10:40 AM
Not really Dennis. There are some nice giolf holes on the old nine, but the new nine is appalling IMO. It's almost always in very good condition though. Not having a dig, just being honest!

I thought you were attacking the club and not the course ;)

I agree, the new nine has some weaker holes compared to the back nine, but there are still some strong one out there and it compares favourably to its peers. The problem is the back nine is a very strong group of holes and therefore any comparison against it will yield an unfavourable result

..just being honest

Webster
27th October 2010, 10:57 AM
the new nine has some weaker holes compared to the back nine, but there are still some strong one out there and it compares favourably to its peers.

Perhaps this course discussion is worthy of a new thread, but I completely disagree with what you have said above, unless you consider its peers to be Rossdale, Edithvale Public and Royal Burnley.

PS. I wasn't attacking anyone Dennis, just providing an unbiased opinion of the course. the clubs is what it is and so long as the members are happy with the way the place is run, then who really cares. I do know quite a few former members with not many kind words to say about the place though...

Moe Norman
27th October 2010, 11:36 AM
I don't suppose they are looking for any back pockets in their mid-30s either? Although I would be fitter and faster than 14 years ago.

No, but we are looking for players for the 3rds next year. With your fitness, you will walk into the onball division!

By broader, you can obviously only mean you (when in a shit stir mood) and one other noteable former member? ;)

As a semi recent guest of the club, the front 9 is quite deplorable. However the host was more than gracious and the very large and expensive clubhouse is an asset that should be maximised as much as possible.

Without knowing anything else about the club, apart from whining from a former member who whines about everything, I can really only comment on the course. Once the off course position of the club is in top shape (maybe it already is?) the priority should be to gradually improve the actual core product of the golf course, starting with the front 9 asap.

chappy1970
27th October 2010, 12:09 PM
Congrats Dennis, did my vote get you over the line :)

Dotty
27th October 2010, 01:26 PM
Congratulations Dennis.

I trust that this appointment will be beneficial, for both you and the club.

mike
27th October 2010, 02:00 PM
Congrats Dennis.

Thread is now on ignore.

Moe Norman
27th October 2010, 02:00 PM
I just read through the rest of this thread, had no idea NK was such a wanker.

People who failed as a golfer, then end up working in the golf industry as as lazy fallback, certainly have less qualifications to sit on a committee/board than someone reasonably successful in private enterprise.

Afterall, there is a large proportion of people that work in the golf industry who are really just failed golfers with no other option. Plenty of exceptions of course, and they are usually the ones that are very good at what they do ;)

Dennis
27th October 2010, 03:00 PM
Congrats Dennis, did my vote get you over the line :)

Thanks Chappy

Both myself and Geig got up.

I trust your vote was the key decider!

Congratulations Dennis.

I trust that this appointment will be beneficial, for both you and the club.

Thanks Dotty

That is the plan

chappy1970
27th October 2010, 04:02 PM
Great, now fix the bunkers on the back nine can you...start with putting the same sand as the front nine in them

Dennis
27th October 2010, 04:36 PM
Great, now fix the bunkers on the back nine can you...start with putting the same sand as the front nine in them

I believe that is already the plan?

I will keep you in the loop :)

IanO
27th October 2010, 05:02 PM
Can you get out to Kooringal and get them to standardise the sand in our bunkers as well?

mike
27th October 2010, 06:44 PM
Dennis, what position did you end up getting? Greens director?

Dennis
27th October 2010, 07:16 PM
Dennis, what position did you end up getting? Greens director?

No

We had 2 x plain normal director roles up for election of which I was fortunate to be elected to one of those roles

Peter
27th October 2010, 07:47 PM
Dennis,

Will this appointment lead you to change the way that you behave on this and other golf forums?

Webster
27th October 2010, 08:09 PM
Dennis, based on Bob Sheaers work thus far on the original holes (12,16,18 ) are you supportive of him doing more redesign work on the remaining back nine holes?

Dennis
27th October 2010, 10:37 PM
Dennis,

Will this appointment lead you to change the way that you behave on this and other golf forums?

Peter

My behaviour is and will always be exemplary :lol:

Dennis, based on Bob Sheaers work thus far on the original holes (12,16,18 ) are you supportive of him doing more redesign work on the remaining back nine holes?

Southern has no plans for any major hole redevelopments in the next 5 years

sms316
30th October 2010, 06:46 PM
Congratulations Dennis.

I take it that I am officially banned from the "bogan enclave" now?

Dennis
1st November 2010, 09:03 AM
Congratulations Dennis.

Correct,

You can no longer visit Centenary Park ever again

In regards to Southern, I am sure graft is a viable option

chappy1970
1st November 2010, 09:04 AM
Congratulations Dennis.

Not a bad thing really

sms316
1st November 2010, 09:12 AM
In regards to Southern, I am sure graft is a viable option

Is a flagon of McWilliams Sweet Sherry still the going rate?

Dennis
1st November 2010, 09:20 AM
Is a flagon of McWilliams Sweet Sherry still the going rate?

Times have changed, but it is good to know you are concerned about getting back to one of Melbourne's premier clubs

LarryLong
1st November 2010, 09:21 AM
Two flagons?

sms316
1st November 2010, 09:22 AM
Dry sherry?

chappy1970
29th November 2010, 10:50 AM
Hey Dennis letter from the President is going to make Southern quote expensive now?