PDA

View Full Version : WA: NOW 15th October 10.50AM Araluen Golf Resort

Golfnut
8th October 2010, 11:19 PM
This is now happening on Friday 15th.

Tee time is confirmed for 10.50AM

Walking price is $34 (no lowballing required for such a nice course)

Hope this helps if anyone wants to come along.

Scores:
Golfnut 30pts
Pieface 16pts

idgolfguy
8th October 2010, 11:57 PM
Sorry gents but I'm out.

TourFit
9th October 2010, 03:22 AM
Canucks bag may have dried out by then...ask him!

Pieface
11th October 2010, 11:28 AM
Ima buy a couple dozen pinnacles. Only two sets of eyes watching my awesome shots into the bush will lead to a few losties :lol:

Golfnut
11th October 2010, 11:46 AM
Don't forget a crap iron for hitting out of the sh!t mate....I know I'll need mine ;)

Pieface
11th October 2010, 12:00 PM
I'm bringing the crap set with one good iron for the one or two shots off the short grass ;)

Better start working on our tall tales 'nut. I'm sure I'm going to be driving the ball 300 all day 8)

Pieface
12th October 2010, 06:57 PM
Nut will need to edit the title. This has moved to Friday 15th in light of a corporate day. Damn Corporates, keeping the little man down!

Not sure if that changes anyones take on attending but there you go :)

adlo
12th October 2010, 09:47 PM
I am going to do whatever it takes to make this.

adlo
12th October 2010, 09:48 PM
I'm out.

Golfnut
12th October 2010, 09:50 PM
First Post updated........

Golfnut
12th October 2010, 09:51 PM
I'm out.

What's your excuse?

adlo
12th October 2010, 10:04 PM
I never said I was interested.

Golfnut
12th October 2010, 10:11 PM

:roll:

:lol:

Pieface
12th October 2010, 10:13 PM

Yay

I'm out.

OMG!!! Ghey, balls in purse etc etc :wink:

Pieface
12th October 2010, 10:14 PM
I bet Hocko wishes this was his 1st Tee thread. Done in under 20 posts fo' shure

Golfnut
12th October 2010, 10:23 PM
Could be the smallest grouped OZgolf day ever too....wonder if we'll get a merit bar for it PF?

Yossarian
14th October 2010, 10:40 PM
As JC said, don't follow google maps.

Go down Brookton Hwy till you see the sign for araluen golf/gardens, then it is a long drive UP heritage drive I think.

1: Straight Away par 5.
2: Don't need to hit it more than 200 really, or you risk running through fairway, take a bit more club into green i reckon.
3: TOUGH HOLE! Need to be on left side to not be blocked out, if wind blowing will likely not be getting home in 2.
4. Par 3. No strategy. Fire at the pin
5. Tough straight par 4. Just keep to the middle, and take more club into green than less. Breaks at water tower, even uphill.
6. Blind par 4. Don't take on the bunker than PF will be able to see but GN won't. Tough approach.
7. Par 3. See 4
8. Blind par 5. Drive at set of bunkers on left. Right is deadish. Take a walk to the hill to see where the green is. You really on need to hit your second to that crest and let it roll down.
9. Only need to bunt it about 180ish more right of what appears to be centre. Toughish approach!

10. Short 4. Heaps of room left. Avoid bunkers, they are ghey
11. Par 5. Cut off left bunkers, they are in play. Then a bunt down hill.
12. See 4.
13. Tough uphill 4, like 3 a bit. Pretty straightforward.
14. Fair bit of room out on right if you don't smoke one 250 ish. Gentle draw of right trap is optimal. :)
15. Blindish drive, right of centre ideal line, left is fairly blocked out.
16. Hahahahaha, have fun, hit a few.
17. Tough 5. Creek on the right of fway for tee shot, creek short of green. Not reachable in 2 i would imagine.
18. BITCH of a hole. Aim at the bunker. Try to draw it a little. Water on the right of green, can't see it. Take more club and aim left, but not as far left as simmsy.

PS

Sorry can't join, have work :(

Johnny Canuck
14th October 2010, 10:53 PM

Go down Brookton Hwy till you see the sign for araluen golf/gardens, then it is a long drive UP heritage drive I think.

1: Straight Away par 5.
2: Don't need to hit it more than 200 really, or you risk running through fairway, take a bit more club into green i reckon.
3: TOUGH HOLE! Need to be on left side to not be blocked out, if wind blowing will likely will not be getting home in 2.
4. Par 3. No strategy. Fire at the pin Don't miss left.
5. Tough straight par 4. Just keep to the middle, and take more club into green than less. Breaks at water tower, even uphill.
6. Blind par 4. Don't take on the bunker than PF will be able to see but GN won't.(Awesome) Tough approach.
7. Par 3. See 4 Golfnut will 3 putt, minimum
8. Blind par 5. Drive at set of bunkers on left. Right is deadish. Take a walk to the hill to see where the green is. You really on need to hit your second to that crest and let it roll down. Aim your second at the middle of the fairway. After your tee shots, you'll have a 200m walk to get to the crest of the hill.
9. Only need to bunt it about 180ish more right of what appears to be centre. Toughish approach!

12. See 4. You'' both be playing your second out of bunkers.
14. Fair bit of room out on right when you don't smoke one 250 ish. Gentle draw of right trap is optimal, ghey fade is likely result. :)
17. Tough 5. Creek on the right of fway for tee shot, creek short of green. Not reachable in 3 i would imagine.
18. BITCH of a hole. Aim at the bunker. Try to draw it a little. Water on the right of green, can't see it. Take more club and aim left, but not as far left as simmsy.Awesome as well.

PS

Good summary, edits in bold.

Golfnut
14th October 2010, 10:54 PM
My brother gave the same direction Yoss......big thanks for the run down, I think I'll print it out and take it on course....been a while since I've played Araluen.

Yossarian
14th October 2010, 10:54 PM
I think I got it mostly right, apologies if the detail is a little hazy. There are a few funky blind shots off the tee, but it is good fun.

Nice edits JC! :D

Golfnut
14th October 2010, 10:57 PM
Any last minute takers......spots available!!!

Veefore
14th October 2010, 11:31 PM
Extra balls and driver on 16. See how far across the lake you can get it.

Pieface
15th October 2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the input Yoss and JC. A bit more detailed than the hit ball, find ball, repeat strategy I was going to implement.

I will sledge GN if he has the cheat sheet :D

Yossarian
15th October 2010, 12:28 AM
Be prepared for some crazy putts as well guys.

Golfnut
15th October 2010, 12:29 AM
thanks for the input yoss and jc. A bit more detailed than the hit ball, find ball, repeat strategy i was going to implement.

i will ask gn if he has the cheat sheet and use it all day :d

fixed

Golfnut
15th October 2010, 12:31 AM
Be prepared for some crazy putts as well guys.

Cwazy putts are part of my 'Tour Like' short game.

Johnny Canuck
15th October 2010, 12:38 AM
Golfnut will be standing over some putts for 2+ minutes.

Yossarian
15th October 2010, 12:39 AM
Pieface does your buggy have a seat?

Johnny Canuck
15th October 2010, 12:47 AM
If it does, insist on putting first on every green.

Golfnut
15th October 2010, 12:52 AM
Golfnut will be standing over some putts for 2+ minutes.

Putt for dough JC......which reminds me PF, skins?

Yossarian
15th October 2010, 12:56 AM
Putt for dough JC......which reminds me PF, skins?

Get paid by the hour do you? ;)

Golfnut
15th October 2010, 01:11 AM
Remember -

15th club allowed
pick/place in bunkers when affected by non raked bunkers and rocks. - JC that was your rule just leave it as it is, it's the same for everyone, ok.

Borrowed from the pop thread

Pieface
15th October 2010, 09:53 PM
A good test of golf. I failed.

Felt like putting head in oven on returning home but a 6er of Coopers Red is salving my wounds nicely.

Good Back 9 from the 'nut after some stinky front nine work by both players. Glad the 16th turned up when it did. I was just about ready to slash my wrists but knocking balls off the side of the hill was awesome fun :)

Yossarian
15th October 2010, 09:56 PM
Scores?

Pieface
15th October 2010, 10:06 PM
I made it into double digits...that's all I'm saying. Worst Ozgolf outing by some measure. GN handled my abominable game with great aplomb. Thanks Mate!

I hold GN responsible for losing yuor detailed course notes by the fifth of sixth tho'! :lol:

simmsy
15th October 2010, 10:44 PM
i wish i was there to witness the trainwrecks!!

Golfnut
15th October 2010, 10:48 PM
As PF said, A very good test of golf and a good way to measure where the games at......conditions were pretty tough wind wise with it blowing pretty hard all day long but we endured......and did I mention the flies, F*@K me and it's not even summer!

PF made hard work for himself finding the sand traps on so many holes we lost count.....other than that he was hitting the ball very solid, direction was letting him down and on a course like Araluen "You Pay" if your not on the short stuff.

Hole of the day & Shot of the day for PF were both on 9, 4h to the ledge and then PW to 8-9ft....nice par.

Hole and shot of the day for me were both on 11......split the bunkers and got good roll out, then 250m 4h to within 50 of the green, chip & missed birdie putt for par. :D

30pts in the end for me PF (playing off 18 ) with only 2 wipes for the day so not too bad I guess for a course that's pretty new to me, the 2 brain fart holes cost me dearly.

Cheers PF for a great day out.....look forward to tackling this course again soon.

Golfnut
15th October 2010, 11:02 PM
Took some shots of what the water on 9 looks like withoot some Canadian polluting it:

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x165/BXT007/9thHoleNoCanadianBuggy2.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x165/BXT007/9thHoleNoCanadianBuggy1.jpg

Much better....although those things in the water look freaky.

Yossarian
15th October 2010, 11:02 PM
look forward to tackling this course again soon.

At adlo's birthday bash... Oh wait. ;)

Good effort mate with the score is a tough track first time round, I had about 12 pts.

Golfnut
15th October 2010, 11:16 PM
At adlo's birthday bash... Oh wait. ;)

Good effort mate with the score is a tough track first time round, I had about 12 pts.

Agree...probably the toughest course I've played to be honest....greens were quick and it was hard to get any approaches to stick with longer irons, ones that did didn't leave any divots.

17 sucks and I think it's a stupid hole....the green is so punishing, I hit the front of the green with my 4th shot (1 stroke penalty for hitting my 2nd into the stream on the right) and the ball rolled down into the green only to come round and roll off....and it rolled and it rolled and it rolled and it rolled..........and ended up in the little stream.....that's just silly, you shouldn't be punished for hitting a green on any course. Simple fix would be to let the grass along the stream grow a little thicker but it shouldn't have rolled off the green in the first place.

Yossarian
15th October 2010, 11:18 PM
17 is a good hole! Risk reward.

MegaWatty
15th October 2010, 11:25 PM

Agreed.

You do know what that hole is a mirror image of GN?

Johnny Canuck
15th October 2010, 11:29 PM
The 17th is an awesome risk/reward hole for the longer hitter.

I do agree, that the false front is brutal and punishing, but if you know it is there, you have to play for it.

The course is awesome, hands down.

Those things in the water are even freakier when they are rubbing against your legs.

Johnny Canuck
15th October 2010, 11:31 PM

Agreed.

You do know what that hole is a mirror image of GN?

I opened this thread and went and made a drink. These posts were not there when I made my comment about the risk/reward.

However, I don't thing GN will understand as he thinks the 5th at Kwinana is an awesome risk/reward hole.

Golfnut
15th October 2010, 11:31 PM

Probably....by that stage I was getting tired.....looking back at it there is a better way to have played the hole but that sloping left to right was messing with my head (and my stance)

Johnny Canuck
15th October 2010, 11:34 PM
Pussy.

Golfnut
15th October 2010, 11:37 PM
I opened this thread and went and made a drink. These posts were not there when I made my comment about the risk/reward.

However, I don't thing GN will understand as he thinks the 5th at Kwinana is an awesome risk/reward hole.

Not awesome just risk/reward.

I struggled with shot setup on 17, where my 2nd was supposed to have landed really narrowed down and this messed with my head a bit, ended up putting too much fade on it despite trying to setup for a soft draw....had to take a drop at POE and went 6i in as the pin was back......came up a little short but it hit the green easily by about 2-3m, dumb that it rolled off and into the drink.....I nearly blew my lid when I couldn't find it. But yes, next time around I'll know to make sure I land it well on.

Johnny Canuck
15th October 2010, 11:38 PM
The 17th at Araluen is actually the 2nd time I've played a replica of that hole, Mega.

MegaWatty
15th October 2010, 11:39 PM
So the answer to my question is...

...the 13th at Augusta!

Golfnut
15th October 2010, 11:40 PM
Pussy.

GGF.....I worked prior to the game and came off 4hr sleep.....that's my excuse anyway ;)

MegaWatty
15th October 2010, 11:41 PM
The 17th at Araluen is actually the 2nd time I've played a replica of that hole, Mega.

1st?

Johnny Canuck
15th October 2010, 11:42 PM
When I played it, I tried to hit a big cut around the corner to get there in two. I hit a good shot, but ended up in the creek. It was still awesome that I had to argue and debate with myself on if I should hit the shot or not. In hindsight, I'd do it again, with a tiny bit more stick.

There is no risk/reward on 5 at K-Town. The difference between hitting 7iron or 9iron is not risk/reward. Hitting 4 hybrid to the green vs. PW+LW is risk reward.

I took the risk, I got burned.

Johnny Canuck
15th October 2010, 11:47 PM
1st?

Wooden Sticks in Canada.

A combo of original and replica holes including 12&13 at Augusta (complete with leaderboard showing the results of the current year's tourney, which is awesome), 17th at Sawgrass (super awesome), 10 & 18 of St. Andrews running parallel, plus The Road Hole and the Troon "Postage stamp".

Golfnut
15th October 2010, 11:49 PM
When I played it, I tried to hit a big cut around the corner to get there in two. I hit a good shot, but ended up in the creek. It was still awesome that I had to argue and debate with myself on if I should hit the shot or not. In hindsight, I'd do it again, with a tiny bit more stick.

There is no risk/reward on 5 at K-Town. The difference between hitting 7iron or 9iron is not risk/reward. Hitting 4 hybrid to the green vs. PW+LW is risk reward.

I took the risk, I got burned.

Can we not go there again plz...?

Johnny Canuck
15th October 2010, 11:52 PM
I have to keep going until I get you to admit that you are wrong. Either that, or until I run out of Rye.

Golfnut
15th October 2010, 11:54 PM
JC, slight over use of ...

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x165/BXT007/images-1.jpg

simmsy
16th October 2010, 12:08 AM
Not awesome just risk/reward.

I struggled with shot setup on 17, where my 2nd was supposed to have landed really narrowed down and this messed with my head a bit, ended up putting too much fade on it despite trying to setup for a soft draw....had to take a drop at POE and went 6i in as the pin was back......came up a little short but it hit the green easily by about 2-3m, dumb that it rolled off and into the drink.....I nearly blew my lid when I couldn't find it. But yes, next time around I'll know to make sure I land it well on.

i find this very funny indeed....

your off 20what....just hit the f@cker straight man, leave the draw/fade sh!t to JC & Hocko.

Golfnut
16th October 2010, 12:15 AM
Jeez, got a touch of the JC's there old man.....you c^nts must like telling people what to do all day.

4h is one of the clubs in my bag that I can hit this shot more often than not if I'm trying to.

Johnny Canuck
16th October 2010, 12:19 AM
The only soft draw you've got gn is when you reach down low.

BOOM!

TISH!

MegaWatty
16th October 2010, 12:21 AM
I have a draw and a cut in my arsenal.

simmsy
16th October 2010, 12:22 AM
yeah i've seen your cut...

usually o.b on the 11th or across fwy on the 14th:lol:

Johnny Canuck
16th October 2010, 12:23 AM

this made me laugh.

Golfnut
16th October 2010, 12:27 AM
The only soft draw you've got gn is when you reach down low.

BOOM!

TISH!

Explain?

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x165/BXT007/130808022232_paulinedetail.jpg

Johnny Canuck
16th October 2010, 12:35 AM
I'm feeling the same sensation after looking at that.

MegaWatty
16th October 2010, 12:36 AM

I save my best for 5.

simmsy
16th October 2010, 12:37 AM
damn, forgot that one.

thanks.

MegaWatty
16th October 2010, 12:39 AM
I will not try to hit fades anymore.

They're ghey anyway.

Golfnut
16th October 2010, 12:40 AM
I'm feeling the same sensation after looking at that.

LOL.....good 'go to' image when you need to hold back the gravy ;)

Pieface
16th October 2010, 09:14 AM
Nut, I had 16 points. If you update your OP, you will get your internet monies for POTY I think :)

Good work taking all the heat with another risk/reward discussion :lol:

TourFit
16th October 2010, 03:47 PM
Hole and shot of the day for me were both on 11......split the bunkers and got good roll out, then 250m 4h to within 50 of the green, chip & missed birdie putt for par. :D

The hole is only 519 from the tips 'Nut...so if you were 50 short for the third, and the 2nd was a 250m hybrid, AND your drive was good with some roll out....520 - 50 = 470 - 250 = 220.

You should start hitting hybrid off the tee, 'cos 220m with rollout isn't as good as your driver !!!

Just kidding (I know that the 2nd shot goes quite downhill)

Golfnut
16th October 2010, 04:02 PM
The hole is only 519 from the tips 'Nut...so if you were 50 short for the third, and the 2nd was a 250m hybrid, AND your drive was good with some roll out....520 - 50 = 470 - 250 = 220.

You should start hitting hybrid off the tee, 'cos 220m with rollout isn't as good as your driver !!!

Just kidding (I know that the 2nd shot goes quite downhill)

Bang on...the drive was about 200m including roll out, very much up hill so I count that as reasonably long for me 'Fit......funny, I knew a dork like you would do the math on that. ;)

Golfnut
16th October 2010, 04:05 PM
First post updated with scores.

Golfnut
16th October 2010, 04:07 PM
Nut, I had 16 points. If you update your OP, you will get your internet monies for POTY I think :)

Good work taking all the heat with another risk/reward discussion :lol:

What some need to realize is interpretation of a risk reward shot/hole for high cappers is very very different to that of a low capping giant freak.

TourFit
16th October 2010, 04:27 PM
Pieface will LURVE that description of him...a low capping giant fweak

Golfnut
16th October 2010, 05:46 PM
No references were made to any particular forum members....and 25 is hardly a low capper 'Fit. :roll:

Pieface
16th October 2010, 09:06 PM
He meant JC 'fit. Try to keep up!

Pieface
16th October 2010, 09:12 PM

1: Straight Away par 5. Good tee shot, fat, pull, shank, bunker, good out, 2 putt
3: TOUGH HOLE! Need to be on left side to not be blocked out, if wind blowing will likely not be getting home in 2.
4. Par 3. No strategy. Fire at the pin
6. Blind par 4. Don't take on the bunker than PF will be able to see but GN won't. Tough approach.
7. Par 3. See 4
8. Blind par 5. Drive at set of bunkers on left. Right is deadish. Take a walk to the hill to see where the green is. You really on need to hit your second to that crest and let it roll down.

12. See 4.
14. Fair bit of room out on right if you don't smoke one 250 ish. Gentle draw of right trap is optimal. :)
17. Tough 5. Creek on the right of fway for tee shot, creek short of green. Not reachable in 2 i would imagine.
18. BITCH of a hole. Aim at the bunker. Try to draw it a little. Water on the right of green, can't see it. Take more club and aim left, but not as far left as simmsy.

PS

1. Good tee shot, fat, pull, shank, bunker, good out, 2 putt

It got worse from there!

When your round highlight is having a look at where the Canuck got wet you know it is an average outing.

The course really beat me up but i think i can manage much better having sen the course. worth the entry fee to play 16 again. Really is a hoot!

TourFit
18th October 2010, 04:01 PM
Next time out there (30th) I'll be waiting to hear how JC's bag hurtled down the hill on 16 and ended up in the lake at the bottom...

Johnny Canuck
18th October 2010, 04:12 PM
I'll be carrying. No chance.

Veefore
18th October 2010, 10:09 PM
I'll be carrying. No chance.

Are you sure. ;)

Johnny Canuck
18th October 2010, 10:32 PM
Should I bring my buggy in case we need to carry you?

Golfnut
18th October 2010, 11:01 PM
Should I bring my stretcher in case we need to carry you?

Fixed

Veefore
18th October 2010, 11:10 PM
Should I bring my buggy in case we need to carry you?

You sound like veeman last time we played 4BBB.

He complains that carrying me on the golf course gives him a bad back. :D

SeldomEagles
19th October 2010, 02:01 AM
You sound like veeman last time we played 4BBB.

He complains that carrying me on the golf course gives him a bad back. :D

Yet you are the one with the cronic back problem, hmmm