PDA

View Full Version : worth getting old cavitys (DCI) refinished?

davepuppies
26th September 2010, 07:56 AM
I have a old set of DCI black, that i love, they just feel right and look right to my eye. They are the irons i used 13 years ago when playing my best golf.

The set i have are pretty banged up.

There is a guy in Bondi that can refinish them, by removing all dings and scratchs, cover them in either chrome or black chrome (my preference and paintfill them for $399 (3-SW)

do you guys think this is a gross waste of money, or do you think as i have loved this shape/type of club for ever it would be a good investment?

Ferrins
26th September 2010, 08:25 AM
I would be more inclined to buy a set in great nik from the States. For less than half the price of your refurbishment you will have a set in excellent condition and a spare set to use or sell. Also there will be no lag time without clubs while you wait for your clubs to be over hauled. Remember the US market has plenty on offer and the Aussie market has very few of these sets. The Aussie dollar is strong.
I have sold a spare set before by simply playing well and a playing partner has commented on the irons and I have said that I have a spare set and bang. sold.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Titleist-DCI-Black-Iron-set-2-PW-/250701285501?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item3a5ef6087d

davepuppies
26th September 2010, 08:30 AM
ferrins, mine are not that much worse than those listed in the link, however with the rest of my bag consisting of nice shiny clubs, the DCI look a little dated.

I thought that having them chromed in black chrome would make them look pretty cool.....

I know is is a major overcapitalisation as the iron set is worth $100-$150 max, but i imagine i will keep them for good.....

Ferrins
26th September 2010, 08:37 AM
Put them in vinegar over night and use them for another 2 weeks, then decide.

Ferrins
26th September 2010, 08:42 AM
This refurbishment will be an emotional decision so best not to add too much logic into the equation.

I would ask you this question.

If you could by a new set for $400, would you buy them.

If you would then get them refurbished.

markTHEblake
26th September 2010, 08:57 AM
do you guys think this is a gross waste of money

Yes, it makes no sense to waste money on your old crap.
Unless, you cannot replace them for less, and they are also going to be your everyday clubs.

you are far better off throwing them out.

davepuppies
26th September 2010, 09:24 AM
Mark, i have had 2 newer sets in the bag this year, but keep coming back to my original DCIs. they are my every day clubs.

There is nothing on the market that i would prefer currently..... but that is not to say that 2011 wont bring something fantastic.

Daves
26th September 2010, 09:37 AM
Do you know someone that can give them a good buff and polish as a cheap alternative?

pt73
26th September 2010, 10:05 AM
I would check whether they're forged or cast first, have a look on Golfwrx as I think they're cast so rechroming won't work. Damaniack in SA might be able to redo the heads for you, drop him a PM. I've seen some of his work on Golfwrx where he's refinished cast heads.

PT