PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a club to join near Killara - Sydney

morgy
21st September 2010, 05:20 PM
The Mrs and I might be moving to Sydney later this year as she is looking likely to take up a new job in the Killara/Gordon area.

Looking for a new club to join with a decent track and good competitions. Not looking to pay a $10k start up fee but mid-range membership/entrance fees are ok.

Any ideas?

davepuppies
21st September 2010, 05:38 PM
morgy there are many fine courses on the northern beaches that offer low/mid/high level fees.

Gordon golf club is average, pymble supurb

Sydney Hacker
21st September 2010, 05:38 PM
The Mrs and I might be moving to Sydney later this year as she is looking likely to take up a new job in the Killara/Gordon area.

Looking for a new club to join with a decent track and good competitions. Not looking to pay a $10k start up fee but mid-range membership/entrance fees are ok.

Any ideas?

Options are limited around that area, depending on how decent a course you want to join.

Clubs within a 20 minute or so drive include (in no particular order) -

Killara
Gordon
Pymble
Chatswood
Asquith

Killara & Pymble will set you back a few $k's in joining fees (depending on how old you are). Asquith, which is probably the furtherest away will be $500 joining fee and roughly $1,600/year.

Gordon & Chatswood, which are the worst out of the group are around the $900/year mark, Gordon has no joining fee and not sure of what Chatswood is.

I am a member at Gordon and have played all of the above courses so if you would like a chat about anything feel free to shot me a pm, or fire away in here.

KristianJ
21st September 2010, 05:45 PM
Muirfield's around 20 mins away too, I think:

http://www.muirfieldgolf.com.au/guests/membership/categories.mhtml

morgy
21st September 2010, 05:54 PM
Always good to have a few options, tough to choose though :). I'm 24 and am happy for membership to be around $1500 a year, give or take. I like to hit balls 3-4 days a week, so important to me is;
- Nice quality course
- Good practice facilities
- The ability to get on for practice hits most of the time.
- Being able to book tee times online is a plus (not a deal breaker)
- Good reciprocal line up.
- Nice people.

Also, social golf is free at my current club for full paying members which is good for me because I do play a bit.

I looked at Gordon as a possibility but am concerned that it is par 64. How do you find that? Also noticed Pennant Hills is absent from your list, any reason why?

3oneday
21st September 2010, 06:28 PM
Pennant Hills would have a waiting list, and cost a bomb no doubt although I have never enquired.

aussieashley
21st September 2010, 06:35 PM
I was a member at Gordon when I lived in Sydney. It would be at the cheaper end of your options.
The course is not long, but there are a few elevation changes that make it interesting.
I don't think the practice facilities are good. Pretty sure there is no driving range, just some nets and a practice green.
I never played there, but always heard good things about Killara.

terrys
21st September 2010, 07:07 PM
Morgy, as an under 30 in Sydney you can often jump the waiting lists, not to mention get a better membership rate.

Grunt
21st September 2010, 07:08 PM
Dotty is a member of Pennant Hills

morgy
21st September 2010, 07:12 PM
Morgy, as an under 30 in Sydney you can often jump the waiting lists, not to mention get a better membership rate.

Hopefully! I am guessing we will be in Sydney for a long time to come so I will pick carefully.

It's a lot easier when you only have 1 club in your town!

matty
21st September 2010, 07:21 PM
Depending on where you are going to live Wakehurst is a great course.

Sydney Hacker
21st September 2010, 08:11 PM
I would probably wait and see what area you end up living and working in before deciding. Gordon/Killara is not a cheap place to buy (or rent) so it might be best to wait until you are settled in the one area before forking out for joining fees etc.

jimandr
21st September 2010, 10:10 PM
SH makes a good point. The North Shore is an expensive area to set up a lifestyle. You might find yourself in the commuter world that most of Sydney belongs to, so where you live is much more important that where you work. You might be able to find yourself on the Northern Beaches. The commute isn't too difficult to Killara from there, and there are some nice courses you may not have considered, such as Mona Vale, Long Reef, Cromer and Monash. None of them are cheap, though.

PerryGroves
21st September 2010, 10:12 PM
I would probably wait and see what area you end up living and working in before deciding. Gordon/Killara is not a cheap place to buy (or rent) so it might be best to wait until you are settled in the one area before forking out for joining fees etc.

Agree with SH on price, as well at 24 I suspect you might find living around Killara pretty dull, I certainly did and have never returned. I am a Sydney boy but the place is a gigantic pain in the asre to get around.

petethepilot
21st September 2010, 10:50 PM
Looks like the T3 found a home Perry. Shame Manly didn't go so well this year. Hope you are back to full fitness now.

Pete

morgy
21st September 2010, 11:08 PM
Well, we are flying down on Thursday to have a look at a few places to buy, so a lot will depend on what is available etc...

I refuse to pay someone else's house off for them so if we can't find a decent place to live, that will also be a wise investment, it may be a no goer. Fingers crossed though, I've been keen to get down there for a while now.

I'll spark the thread up again when I've got an address to go by :)

Andrew
21st September 2010, 11:12 PM
Looking for a new club to join with a decent track

In that case, you are moving to the wrong city. :D

Captain Nemo
22nd September 2010, 08:26 AM
Killara, hands down.
Might have a little trouble getting in though!

Andrew
22nd September 2010, 03:01 PM
Killara, hands down.

Even if you get in, you'll be hitting off across the road on Saturday comps for the first few years, thereby ending your round about a km from the club house.

Sydney Hacker
22nd September 2010, 03:03 PM
Killara, hands down.

I would have put Killara behind Pymble and Pennant Hills, probably even Asquith to be honest as far as value for money goes.

ParMaster
22nd September 2010, 03:09 PM
Killara is the best conditioned course on the north shore.

;)

Sydney Hacker
22nd September 2010, 03:10 PM
Killara is the best conditioned course on the north shore.

;)

And going down hill quickly !

ParMaster
22nd September 2010, 03:13 PM
Yep, just in time for the 2010 Senior PGA Championship. :D

Sydney Hacker
22nd September 2010, 03:14 PM
They running a shuttle bus to get those old dudes back to the clubhouse when they finish their round ?

ParMaster
22nd September 2010, 03:18 PM
No they don't. That wouldn't be a bad idea though! They have a car park down the bottom which makes it convenient to hit off the 9th, but if you want to go to the clubhouse you're just better off to drive up their via the Pacific Hwy.

Tongueboy
27th September 2010, 07:00 PM
feel sorry for you bastards in sydney. from reading this what a prick of a place to play golf. and i thought the central coast was bad

Sydney Hacker
27th September 2010, 07:51 PM
feel sorry for you bastards in sydney. from reading this what a prick of a place to play golf. and i thought the central coast was bad

Nah it's not that bad on the North Shore... No f**king bunnies supporters to put up with :)

How did the recon trip go Morgy ? Sydney real estate prices scare you off ?

Tongueboy
28th September 2010, 02:27 PM
Nah it's not that bad on the North Shore... No f**king bunnies supporters to put up with :)

How did the recon trip go Morgy ? Sydney real estate prices scare you off ?

have to start loitering around that area to piss you off.....Gordon wasn't it?

Sydney Hacker
28th September 2010, 02:30 PM
have to start loitering around that area to piss you off.....Gordon wasn't it?

Sure was... just don't hang out waiting for me to be there, haven't set foot on the course for a few weeks now and can't see me getting out there again anytime soon !

Tongueboy
28th September 2010, 03:14 PM
busy mate?

Captain Nemo
28th September 2010, 03:54 PM
I would have put Killara behind Pymble and Pennant Hills, probably even Asquith to be honest as far as value for money goes.

Wasnt talking value for money!