20th September 2010, 08:45 PM
Pencil me in.

WBennett
20th September 2010, 10:06 PM
Do a day trip to Canberra. I'll host at Gungahlin Lakes

KristianJ
20th September 2010, 10:50 PM
Do a day trip to Canberra. I'll host at Gungahlin Lakes

I'd be open to that...Glenmore has reciprocals with Gungahlin, so I'd be covered with a guest rate, I think.

Grant, mid morning probably...depends on where we were to play. I'm flexible. :)

jimandr
20th September 2010, 11:18 PM
pencil me in

Dotty
21st September 2010, 06:36 AM
Another pencil for me.

Grunt
21st September 2010, 07:21 AM
Wow is that a new NSW OzGolf PB, we have more than one group in pencil, lets see if we can get 12 in pencil and then fall back to only 4 turning up :)

WBennett
21st September 2010, 03:10 PM
Give me as much notice as possible, as I'll need to get Parlyboy to do a dodgy for bookings ;)

KristianJ
21st September 2010, 05:42 PM
Fellas, you willing to travel, or the closer to Sydney the better?

Grunt
21st September 2010, 06:02 PM
I'll travel

Hey Benno, is my matchplay bunny available?

matty
21st September 2010, 07:16 PM
Prefer Sydney if most playing are from Sydney. Don't mind Sydney surrounds but the nations capital counts me out. Getting the leave pass, while achievable, wouldn't be worth the pain. :smt079

WBennett
21st September 2010, 07:49 PM
If you can't get anything organised in Sydney, the offer is open.

My home track is 2.15 hours from Crossroads on an average run (I've done 2.15 from Parramatta Speedway relatively easily but not necessarily 100% legally...)

KristianJ
21st September 2010, 08:20 PM
Okay then...I reckon we concentrate on Sydney metro.

I've found something on Golflink about an open day @ Bankstown GC on the 4th. $55, and seems like NTP prizes on offer amongst other things. I'm not sure if it's all done via Golflink or if you can enter directly via the club, but could be worth considering.

matty
21st September 2010, 09:18 PM
If you can't get anything organised in Sydney, the offer is open.

My home track is 2.15 hours from Crossroads on an average run (I've done 2.15 from Parramatta Speedway relatively easily but not necessarily 100% legally...)

You wouldn't consider coming up?

WBennett
22nd September 2010, 01:46 PM
I'd love to Matty, but I've just returned from a 4 day bender in Melbourne, and am approx 1 billion brownie points down with the fun police

I'm planning on coming up maybe in November or December for a day, that's how long I'll need to be on good behaviour for :)

KristianJ
22nd September 2010, 06:04 PM
Guys, I'll do some ringing around tomorrow to the clubs that usually have Monday open comps and see if they're still having something on 4/10. I know from past threads that Bonnie Doon doesn't, so I'll skip them. Asquith and Dunheved have their regular open comp (both medley 2BBB and individual stableford).

Grunt
22nd September 2010, 06:19 PM
Kristian

Set a cut off date so you can just book with names, we probably wont be able to book until a week before.

KristianJ
22nd September 2010, 06:25 PM
Done, Grant. Next Monday @ 5pm will be the cut off, then I can book the following morning.

ParMaster
24th September 2010, 09:05 AM
Light pencil for me.

KristianJ
24th September 2010, 10:44 AM
Guys, afraid to say that due to a probable family bereavement, I might be away for the long weekend, so will need to withdraw.

I didn't get the chance to find out if any other clubs besides Dunheved and Asquith are having their open comps, so if someone else would like to take the lead in terms of booking the group in, that would be tops.

jimandr
25th September 2010, 01:11 PM
The venue problem for Monday 4 October is solved.

The Camden Lakeside comp is an open event, and there are tons of tee times. There is easily room for two groups if more players wish to get on. This will be one of the few non-weekday days of the year I can invite players, so I will be pleased to host the day.

My preferred tee time is around 11.00.

I'll ring and make the booking on Monday.

Kristian, you are the controller of the thread title, so can you please put the proposed venue in the title.

Grunt
25th September 2010, 05:32 PM
Good work Jim.
Count me as a definite.

matty
25th September 2010, 06:49 PM
About 11 suits me too Jim. The later the better. Working until midnight on Sunday. Pen me in.

matty
25th September 2010, 07:21 PM
Just read the reviews on the course. Looks great. Can't wait to play there.

The wife and little bloke are meeting me down there late arvo for a meal in the restaurant if you guys want to join us.

KristianJ
25th September 2010, 07:27 PM
Thread title changed.

If anything changes with my situation, I might be able to play, but it's a fair bit of playing by ear at the moment. If anything I might be able to join you guys at the restaurant.

Grunt
25th September 2010, 07:36 PM
What is the restaurant like now? It used to be purely corporate days before, with a small bistro available at the bar.

Dotty
26th September 2010, 08:09 AM
Ink me in, Jim/Kristian.

jimandr
26th September 2010, 10:23 PM
At the moment I'll only book one group of 4 for a time around 11.00. When I looked yesterday there were huge gaps on the field, so if any other players want to play, there is a good chance you'll be able to grab the next tee time.

I have no idea what the restaurant is like, but I suggest to Matty that he books in advance. He'll probably be the only person there, so they'll be closed unless they know someone will be eating.

The clubhouse was set up as a function centre for wedding receptions and corporate days, and isn't really suitable for normal golfing purposes. There is no passing trade, and nothing to keep golfers at the club after they've had one or two refreshing drinks after the game.

jimandr
27th September 2010, 11:06 PM
Booking is confirmed for 10.58am.

I forgot to ask what the comp fee was, but you can be sure it will be less than the $85 it used to be before Camden Valley took over the club.

The driving range is still operating, so if you wish to turn up early and hit some balls, $6.50 for a small bucket is quite good value.

Grunt
28th September 2010, 06:56 PM
Any more going to join us? Public Holiday, Nice course and good all round guys.

Lets try and break a record and get 2 groups to an OzGolf game in NSW in 2010. It seems like ages ago we got 4 groups once :) and it was at that lousy track called Mac Grange ;)

Also to those that are coming, bring your money with you, I will bring donation reciept book plus raffle tickets for my paddle :)

matty
29th September 2010, 09:15 AM
Men,

If you’re keen we can play ‘skins’ during the round, just to make it a bit more fun. I was thinking if we all chuck in 50c each a hole then its $2 skins per hole. Could be a good little earner for someone.

We’ll play the skins on stableford points to make it fair, which means a birdie should get the skin(s), maybe even a par for 3 points when all others get 2 points.

I’ll go to $1 each a hole to make it really interesting if you want, or we can leave it at 50c each a hole. Basically, a $9 bet or an $18 bet each for the round.

Who's in?

Dotty
29th September 2010, 02:08 PM
Make it interesting and play 'Bingo Bango Bongo'.

4 points on each hole ....

1 point for first on the green (except if you play out of turn)
1 point for NTP (irrespective of how many shots have been taken)
1 point for longest putt sunk (must be over 1m, or the point jackpots to the next hole)
1 point for best stableford score (if tied, then jackpot to the next hole)

We can do it indiv. or better-ball, and either 18 holes or half-kitty for each nine.

Matty, PM me if you want a lift down there, as I'm driving from the north-west (Pennant Hills).

matty
29th September 2010, 06:29 PM
Have never played it but sounds like a lot of hard work to figure out and score the comp as well.

Also, the first point doesn't seem fair. If I crush a 300m drive :mrgreen: then you blokes get the first go at the green :shock:.

But, I'm easy. I'd prefer skins but if the others want BBB we'll go with that.

Dot, thanks for the offer of the lift but I'm basically on the Northern Road so it's just as easy for me to head straight there.

The restaurant sounds like it's out but still looking forward to playing on a good course and looking forward to watching some exciting golf produced by grunt :lol:

Grunt
29th September 2010, 07:07 PM
I will without doubt produce something that will bring the punters back. It could be playing a couple of holes off 36 to give you all the Idea I am crap, to then play a couple well to get a few pars in a row :) I have it all, I am the most consistently inconsistent golfer there is :P

matty
29th September 2010, 07:12 PM
what would you prefer, skins or bbb?

Grunt
29th September 2010, 07:20 PM
I would not mind BBB but what are we up for with it, still $1 each a hole?

matty
29th September 2010, 08:29 PM
Then BBB it is. I'm easy on the price per hole. Gotta see what Jim thinks.

ParMaster
2nd October 2010, 11:49 AM
What price would they charge me Jim? I won't play if they want to charge me a lot.

Dotty
2nd October 2010, 12:13 PM
And do they allow groups of 5?

I'd prefer to pass on the day, rather than play as a 5 or split us into a group of 3 and 2.

Grunt
2nd October 2010, 12:35 PM
Dotty, play

Pup was and still is only pencil.

Sorry pup but you will need to find a partner or 3.

jimandr
2nd October 2010, 05:59 PM
What price would they charge me Jim? I won't play if they want to charge me a lot.

Grunt has read the situation correctly. I didn't book you in. I only booked the four definites.

I doubt if there would be a junior discount anyway.

jimandr
3rd October 2010, 10:21 PM
Lads, particularly Dotty and Matty.

It might be worth a call to the Camden Lakeside proshop before setting out in the morning.

While it precipitated all day on Saturday, it was fairly light rain. Today there have been some pretty substantial downpours at my house. Lakeside isn't a really good draining course, so there is some chance that the course will be closed.

Grunt
4th October 2010, 07:03 AM
I am going to ring soon, I will advise of the result of the call

Grunt
4th October 2010, 07:26 AM
Course open - No Carts

See you all there.

Grunt
4th October 2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the game guys

Today did not start off to great with the rain hitting just as we were about to move to the first tee.

With the rain still falling we decided to hit the club and see if it would stop, Matty used the i-phone to look up the weather and it was predicted that after 20min it would be gone and we would not see any more rain. We hit the clubhouse and Dotty shouted for coffees all round. Coffees done and the round commenced from the 10th tee.

I proceeded to play my best burglar golf and I will let the others tell the tale later.

Results
Grunt 38
Matty 35
Dotty 31
Jimandr 28

(correct me if I was wrong guys)

The big result was the skins game, I missed a make-able putt on the last to give me 13 skins, it was halved and therefore only 15 skins were played today.

Grunt 10 skins
Jimandr 3 skins
Matty 2 Skins
Dotty 0 Skins

We had played 4 hours and not had a single drop of rain until we were on our way to the car park after the post round drinks

Conditions of the very same green at the end

Thanks Guys for a great game, was a real Oz Golf round.

jimandr
4th October 2010, 06:13 PM
Grunt's descriptions are pretty close to the mark.

I didn't play well, and hit a really bad shank, which was in my mind for every iron shot from that point on.

The fairways were wet, but the greens were good, so I think a good day was had by all.

No super-lowlights that I can recall, but Grunt hit all the shots of the day, including a miracle 70 footer for 4 a 4 on 17, and a brilliant shot to the 9th (our last). After having taken most of the money, he had a four footer second putt for par and another 3 skins. The most popular stroke of the day was that last 4 footer, which he left short to save us some money. A special mention does go to Matty's drive on the 8th, which was clearly his best of the day. His GPS measuring program marked it as 295, on fairways with not much run.

Grunt
4th October 2010, 06:17 PM
Jim,

You forgot to mention the clubs that made the 4 a 4.

Driver
Driver
3 Wood
Putter

:)

ParMaster
4th October 2010, 07:31 PM
How much did they charge ya'll?

matty
4th October 2010, 07:45 PM
Fun day of golf today.
Thanks to Jim for hosting. Very nice course and facilities.
Grunt pulled out all stops producing his exciting brand of golf.
He is deadset a massive burglar :smt108
How anyone hits driver, driver off the deck, bunts a 3 wood through trees, and then sink a massive putt, steals the skins and walks off like he meant it 8-) is not a burglar then I don't know what is!
Jim produced flashes of brilliance but a couple of bad holes ruined his score.
Was good to play with Dotty but twice he sunk 8-10m putts to halve the hole with me preventing me from easy skins :twisted:. I should get over it by Thursday.

matty
4th October 2010, 07:47 PM
Pup, about $20 I think. I bought some other stuff at the time but it wasn't much more than that.

Grunt
4th October 2010, 08:16 PM
$31 including superpin entry

jimandr
4th October 2010, 09:22 PM
$31 including superpin entry

Ridiculously cheap. It used to be $85, plus a small comp fee on weekends, and around $75 for a social round on weekdays. Assuming they charge the same price on the open comp days every Tuesday and Friday, this is one of the best value comp days in Sydney.

I'll be recommending to the committee that the price is increased, particularly for players off 20 who hit all the best shots of the group.

KristianJ
4th October 2010, 09:26 PM
That is great value then! Granted I've never played Lakeside before, but I've heard enough about it to suggest it's quite a good course.

Dotty
4th October 2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks for hosting us and the company. Golf wasn't pretty in places (esp. my concentration on the greens), but it was always fun.

Looking forward to next time, esp. Kristian can make it also.

ps. Grunt, you were supposed to save those 3 pointers to annoy the ACT lads, not your good friends from NSW.