PDA

View Full Version : Paypal fee's

TheNuclearOne
17th September 2010, 10:16 PM
Tho i've used it for a thousand years i've never dug deep, considering it a neccessary evil. Shortly tho i am getting some $700 worth of fishing gear for a pal on ebay.

Firstly does it cost to tranny this amount into my paypal from my bank?

Secondly do i get slugged a fee buying?

I ask as i know there's some hidden fee's here and there.

oncewasagolfer
17th September 2010, 10:48 PM
I think that there are only fees if you sell and the buyer uses paypal. Like you said it is a necessary evil unfortunately. If you are buying from overseas you will get the usual crap paypal exchange rate:twisted:

henno
17th September 2010, 10:50 PM
Paypal fee's

Ahhh, my eyes!

http://imgur.com/6wNal.jpg

markTHEblake
18th September 2010, 12:27 AM
I ask as i know there's some hidden fee's here and there.

there isnt.

TheNuclearOne
18th September 2010, 12:44 AM
there isnt.
Cheers guys.

Hamo84
18th September 2010, 07:10 PM
U wont get charged for adding money to the account and they wont charge you for purchasing an item over Ebay and paying through Paypal

Daves
3rd October 2010, 08:58 AM
U wont get charged for adding money to the account and they wont charge you for purchasing an item over Ebay and paying through Paypal

What about the seller? do they pay fees on a non eBay purchase transaction? I have not yet used the funds transfer facility on Paypal;

https://cms.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=marketing_au/send_money

I have seen people referring to sending funds as a "Gift" does that avoid the fees for the seller?

razaar
3rd October 2010, 09:34 AM
I'd say so Dave. The issue with "gifting" money for an item is that it negates the "goods" feature and any claim through PayPal associated with this transaction. Not in the buyers interest to gift money for goods purchased - raises alarm bells for me when a seller specifies payment as a gift.

Daves
3rd October 2010, 09:40 AM
I'd say so Dave. The issue with "gifting" money for an item is that it negates the "goods" feature and any claim through PayPal associated with this transaction. Not in the buyers interest to gift money for goods purchased - raises alarm bells for me when a seller specifies payment as a gift.

Agree Ray, except when it is a non eBay purchase and you can't pick up (interstate buy) then you should be no worse off than the risk you take with a bank transfer. I can see legitimate reasons for someone wanting it to go to their Paypal account, keeps their golf hoing money hidden!;)

Edit: would be interested as to too how long it takes funds to transfer also, is it quicker than bank transfer?

IanO
3rd October 2010, 11:24 AM
I have used PayPal to transfer money as a "Gift" a few times now and it usually arrives within a day sometimes 2

markTHEblake
3rd October 2010, 04:00 PM
If you receive money by Paypal you are charged off the top of my head 2.40% plus a token amount of something like $0.30 flat. the % is on a tiered scale and gets lower as the amounts get higher.
This should be obvious as if someone sends you money from their credit card through paypal, the merchant fees have to be paid.

I *think* if you have a basic account and cant receive credit card payments there is no fee for receiving money deducted from a paypal balance. But as soon as you upgrade to receive credit card payments you pay the fee regardless of the source.

These Paypal fees are very cheap for one off or low volume payment systems. Consider that to get a 1% or lower fee you have to meet minimum volumes and often pay a minimum up front of $50pm, and credit checks and so on. Or compare to the old manual credit card systems that used to be up to 8%

Daves
10th December 2012, 08:16 AM
Got charged 1% to do a Paypal gift today. First time there has been a fee. I don't recall receiving any notice of changes to fees from Paypal?

Captain Nemo
10th December 2012, 08:41 AM
Dave, if you do it on your phone, to another aus resident, gift or not i think its free?

Daves
10th December 2012, 08:43 AM
Dave, if you do it on your phone, to another aus resident, gift or not i think its free?

Wasn't an Oz resident, suspect that was the reason.

Captain Nemo
10th December 2012, 08:45 AM
Could be Dave, i suspect thats the answer??

Outcast
10th December 2012, 10:34 AM
I have found that if you gift using your credit card then you pay a fee, if you gift or for that matter pay on PayPal with a transfer from your registered bank account there appears to be no fee.

Daves
10th December 2012, 11:06 AM
I have found that if you gift using your credit card then you pay a fee, if you gift or for that matter pay on PayPal with a transfer from your registered bank account there appears to be no fee.

Not a Credit Card payment, it was a bank transfer. Seems it is a currency conversion fee for a cross border transaction;

https://www.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees

https://cms.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/FeesPolicy_full&locale.x=en_AU

Captain Nemo
10th December 2012, 11:09 AM
Dave, when our $$ goes highish ie 1.05 etc... i change a fair bit of my account to US $$'s that way i can buy things in the US at that price and not be hit with a conversion fee (i think?)

Daves
10th December 2012, 11:13 AM
Dave, when our $$ goes highish ie 1.05 etc... i change a fair bit of my account to US $$'s that way i can buy things in the US at that price and not be hit with a conversion fee (i think?)

Sounds right, though you still pay a conversion fee, it is just upfront when you convert your Aussie to US. Really more a currency speculation or hedging strategy. The downside is you earn nothing on the funds while they are in the Paypal account.

Outcast
10th December 2012, 11:22 AM
Not a Credit Card payment, it was a bank transfer. Seems it is a currency conversion fee for a cross border transaction;https://www.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-feeshttps://cms.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/FeesPolicy_full&locale.x=en_AU Thanks Daves, I didn't know that

PeteyD
10th December 2012, 11:45 AM
I paid a fee for a gift, must have been on the CC though I think. I just assumed you paid it anyway. Should have used the account transfer.

Oldplayer
18th December 2012, 06:33 AM
When sellers mark an item as a "gift" it is to avoid customs fees for the buyer in the countries where they apply. If you receive money through paypal there is always a fee, never if you send money.

graham_w
18th December 2012, 06:59 AM
When sellers mark an item as a "gift" it is to avoid customs fees for the buyer in the countries where they apply. If you receive money through paypal there is always a fee, never if you send money.

Yes there is the customs "gift", but there is also a gift option within Paypal to send money as a gift. There are fees if you fund the gift via your credit card, but no fees if you fund via paypal balance (or bank account I think)

Captain Nemo
18th December 2012, 07:52 AM
Yes there is the customs "gift", but there is also a gift option within Paypal to send money as a gift. There are fees if you fund the gift via your credit card, but no fees if you fund via paypal balance (or bank account I think)

Pretty sure thats only the case for Australian transactions (dont quote me)....