PDA

View Full Version : Whats your handicap?

nick
29th May 2004, 07:21 PM
Thought I might start a handicap thread.

I'm off 8, been playing for 1.5 years. Should be much lower, beleive me.

Nick

jaster
29th May 2004, 07:26 PM
3.6...only play 1 - 2 comp rounds a month though ;) and with pennants starting next weekend (why they play them in Winter is beyond me??) I will be lucky to get a chance to play a handicap round in the next 2 months :(

goughy
29th May 2004, 07:33 PM
Hopefully 12 tomorrow ( [-o< for 11.9)

Eag's
29th May 2004, 08:07 PM
After today maybe 16 :-k

Golfgirl
29th May 2004, 08:18 PM
Playing off 27.3 at present. Some days I hit the ball like I should be off much lower, other days like I should be off much higher.... :roll:

Eags - you are done! You are gonna have to lose at least a couple of strokes for 41 points..... :shock: :lol: :lol:

goughy
29th May 2004, 08:46 PM
Golflink was updated already from today's match, must be something to do with the new web based system for clubs.

New hc is 12. ccr was 73 so I was 4 shots under my hc.
Started on 13.1. 3 of those shots were worth a .3 reduction each getting me to 12.2. What I didn't realise was the last shot, since I'm now under 12.5, was only worth a .2 reduction.

I don't remember it being like this. I always thought you got the same value reduction all the way based on what your hc was for the game. The change in the points value occured once you played a game on the new hc.

I'm stoked to be off 12.0, but I really wanted that 11.9.

I shouldn't whinge, but I feel kind of ripped off.

mike
29th May 2004, 08:47 PM
Handicap is 12.5. After next week it'll be 12.6. Another week and it'll be 12.7. As you can see I'm an optimist...

goughy
29th May 2004, 08:56 PM
Mike, are you saying you've got something to look forward too... :? :D

jaster
29th May 2004, 09:54 PM
Golflink was updated already from today's match, must be something to do with the new web based system for clubs.

Started on 13.1. 3 of those shots were worth a .3 reduction each getting me to 12.2. What I didn't realise was the last shot, since I'm now under 12.5, was only worth a .2 reduction.

I don't remember it being like this. I always thought you got the same value reduction all the way based on what your hc was for the game. The change in the points value occured once you played a game on the new hc.

I'm stoked to be off 12.0, but I really wanted that 11.9.

I shouldn't whinge, but I feel kind of ripped off.

It's always been like that mate :)

goughy
29th May 2004, 09:56 PM
Show's ya how much I know. Or maybe it shows how seldom my hc goes down rather than up :D

jaster
29th May 2004, 09:58 PM
Show's ya how much I know. Or maybe it shows how seldom my hc goes down rather than up :D

Not anymore mate..me thinks you might have turned that corner..:)

What you think of my avatar :P :oops: :wink:

McMw
29th May 2004, 10:16 PM

Nick

NOW that is frigging impressive!!! :shock:

AndyP
30th May 2004, 08:31 AM

Didn't the same thing happen to someone else after a round, going from .2 to .1 reductions. Jaster maybe?

AndyP
30th May 2004, 08:33 AM
My handicap is 12.9, after hitting an all-time best of 12.7 about two months ago. (See trophy in avatar. :wink: ) Haven't shot under 90 since. :(

jaster
30th May 2004, 08:55 AM

Didn't the same thing happen to someone else after a round, going from .2 to .1 reductions. Jaster maybe?

Jaster maybe what?? :roll:

Jarro
30th May 2004, 09:12 AM
12.5 ](*,)

AndyP
30th May 2004, 10:19 AM
12.5 ](*,)
You've only got .4 on me now. And with all that nice equipment too. :P

Jarro
30th May 2004, 10:27 AM
12.5 ](*,)
You've only got .4 on me now. And with all that nice equipment too. :P

just watch out for when i start my punishing practise schedule next week :wink:

drunken
30th May 2004, 10:28 AM
)21.5 and falling (hopefully quicker than it has been lately :lol:

jaster
30th May 2004, 11:14 AM
)21.5 and falling (hopefully quicker than it has been lately :lol:

Good work Drunken...must be all that nice shining equipment :wink:

nick
30th May 2004, 06:04 PM

Nick

NOW that is frigging impressive!!! :shock:

Thanks, I'm working hard on getting it down, need to tighten up that short game!

Nick

BrisVegas
30th May 2004, 08:12 PM
6.0 now. I've almost reached equilibrium.

Courty
30th May 2004, 09:01 PM
Current handicap in my sig. Lowest was 10.5 mid last year. As you can see I've really hit my straps (not) :roll: . I'm feeling positive about some swing changes and have a goal of being firmly entrenched in single figures by the end of the year... fingers crossed.

Eag's
4th June 2004, 09:18 PM
16.9 after Logan, thought I would of lost more :-k

Jarro
5th June 2004, 12:02 AM
16.9 after Logan, thought I would of lost more :-k

don't worry mate. The way you're going, that handicap will be much lower very soon 8)

Speirsy11
15th June 2004, 08:21 PM
Hi

I'm new here, but plan on being around a lot.....I figured I'd try and get some posts in quick before getting back to studying.....

I'm currently off 2.1, and climbing :oops: been hitting driver all over the map, with only my putter to save me.....If anyone in Sydney wants a game, PM me.....

Speirsy11

jaster
15th June 2004, 08:26 PM
Good to see you mate....I see you on BSG a fair bit :) Hope we can catch up for a game sometime.

Jaster 8)

Speirsy11
15th June 2004, 08:30 PM
Good to see you mate....I see you on BSG a fair bit :) Hope we can catch up for a game sometime.

Jaster 8)

Sounds good......

Cool to see a site like this down under.....Let me know if you are ever in Sydney!

Speirsy11

AndyP
16th June 2004, 12:40 AM
I'm currently off 2.1.
Gentleman, we have a new low handicap for the site.

Welcome sperisy11. Good to have you here.
What's your home club in Sydney?

Edit: Was the new leader. Just noticed that new member Jose had a h/cap of +0.2. :shock:

Speirsy11
16th June 2004, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the welcome....Jose may be off +0.2, but I'd be happy to play him and see who takes the title 8)

I play at Strathfield in Sydney. I'm only here until Dec 2005 finishing off my Graduate work before heading back to the great white north of Canada.....If anyone is looking for a Pennant Player for their club, I can be bought :P

Speirsy11

Jose
16th June 2004, 10:29 AM
Hehe I wouldnt read too much into my handicap as such. New Zealand courses are definately much different to ones here from what I have seen. Water Hazards here are very plentiful, while in New Zealand they are not really a common feature. Courses here seem longer on average too, most New Zealand Courses off club tees rarely exceed 5700 metres and 6000 off the tips.

Our handicap system is different to yours too. Any round we play is recorded for handicap purposes (even social games) and I dont believe thats the case here? Also handicaps are worked out from our top 10 out of the last 20 games which I never really agreed on. In essense its not the handicap you play to on average, more the handicap you play to when your playing well.

Still Id like the challenge Speirsy11! I love competitons golf, played pennants since I was 13 until last year when I had a back injury. Theres nothing like a good match and a few beers afterwards!

McMw
16th June 2004, 10:32 AM
Our handicap system is different to yours too. Any round we play is recorded for handicap purposes (even social games) and I dont believe thats the case here? Also handicaps are worked out from our top 10 out of the last 20 games which I never really agreed on. In essense its not the handicap you play to on average, more the handicap you play to when your playing well.

USGA system - never realized NZ followed that!!!! :shock:

and yeah...it's not a "true" indication...
I much prefer the R&A (Aus) version...

Jose - is that 0.2 ur index or playing hcp???

Speirsy11
16th June 2004, 10:47 AM

USGA system - never realized NZ followed that!!!! :shock:

and yeah...it's not a "true" indication...
I much prefer the R&A (Aus) version...

Jose - is that 0.2 ur index or playing hcp???

Bring it on Dude.....Love to do this....Maybe bring Jaster around to give it a go too, wasn't he the previous title holder?

I also have a USGA Hcp, since I'm a Canadian. My USGA Hcp is +1.3, but since that includes non-comp rounds, I'm not a huge fan of using it down here, cause guys will look at you funny if you're off +1 and you shott 75 :oops:

Anyway, if you are ever in Sydney and want a game, let me know....I'd be happy to take anyone from the site out for a game at my place.....

Speirsy11

Fishman Dan
16th June 2004, 11:02 AM
G'day Speirsy,

There's a few of us Sydney residents on this forum. I'm not a member of a Sydney-based club unfortunately, which means that it's hard getting a start most weekends, especially in winter.

More recently played at Cumberland and Fox Hills, just the other side of Parramatta, good tracks and better than whats on offer closer to my place.

Speirsy11
16th June 2004, 11:20 AM
G'day Speirsy,

There's a few of us Sydney residents on this forum. I'm not a member of a Sydney-based club unfortunately, which means that it's hard getting a start most weekends, especially in winter.

More recently played at Cumberland and Fox Hills, just the other side of Parramatta, good tracks and better than whats on offer closer to my place.

I'm at Strathfield, so we can get a start anytime you want. Shot me a PM, and we'll see what we can do.....It'll probably have to be August or later, cause I have a Tournament in Woollongong July 11-15, and am going home for a Wedding and a Tournament in Canada from July 16-31.

Speirsy11

jaster
16th June 2004, 12:49 PM
I'll come along and mark the card...;)

My wife has family in Wollongong and I am thinking about going for a trip there sometime in OCT/NOV so we should all meet up for a game....Fishy, Spiersy, Trung, Kwantfm, Golfgirl and hubby, Nick, Jono etc etc Sounds like fun :)

I can't seem to get below this 3.6 mark at the moment, goal is 2.4 or less by the end of the year and I have been working hard to get there. Not far away but with pennants over the next few months I will struggle to get any competition rounds in :cry: Got to keep the wife and kids happy :wink: :roll:

Speirsy11
16th June 2004, 01:26 PM
I'll come along and mark the card...;)

My wife has family in Wollongong and I am thinking about going for a trip there sometime in OCT/NOV so we should all meet up for a game....Fishy, Spiersy, Trung, Kwantfm, Golfgirl and hubby, Nick, Jono etc etc Sounds like fun :)

I can't seem to get below this 3.6 mark at the moment, goal is 2.4 or less by the end of the year and I have been working hard to get there. Not far away but with pennants over the next few months I will struggle to get any competition rounds in :cry: Got to keep the wife and kids happy :wink: :roll:

Count me in.....just give me a few weeks notice......

Speirsy11

nick
16th June 2004, 01:54 PM
Nice to see you made it here Speirsy, now you have no excuses for not organising that game with me, lol.

Nick

Jose
16th June 2004, 02:28 PM
The USGA system in New Zealand was implemented in 2000, not a popular decision with many golfers. Same for everyone though I guess. My official handicap index upon leaving New Zealand was +0.2 which meant my playing handicap for most courses was 0. If Speirsy is playing off 2 here when he was +1.3 under the USGA system I guess that would put me at around a 3-4 handicap under this system. Im gonna bring that theory into play on Friday when myself and some of my old man's cronies are playing the usual friday beer haggle :). Playing at the Gold Coast Country Club, never seen or played there. I heard it has held the Queensland Open on a few occasions but my old man reckons its rubbish? Doesnt sound right? Well soon see on Friday I guess.

Also Speirsy a quick question....... you mention you are from Canada. I just finished univercity in New Zealand and was planning on coming over here for a stint then heading to the US. Problem is the States is bloody hard to get into now (work visas etc) for foreigners, especially post September 11 and all that. I have a double degree (business and internation hospitality), am 24 years old, and primarily want to work in the golf industry, whether it be sales or tournament coordinating. Anything really as a start just to get my foot in the door so to speak. Any idea on the Canadian policies for foreigners working there?, difficulties in obtaining work visas and work? Any tips, help or information would be greatly appreciated. Im assuming the golf industry is quite substantial there, I know you have a great many fine courses. I have a good friend in New Zealand who has played many courses throughout the world and to this day ranks Baniff Springs (spelling?) as his favourite course.

Andrew

Speirsy11
16th June 2004, 04:16 PM
I know Canada is generally better to get into then the States, but its not easy by any means. The best bet is to contact the Canadian Consolate in Canberra or Sydney and have them send you an application....Assuming you have no criminal past and are healthy it should be easy to get a 1 year work permit. Once you have your foot in the door like that, it makes it easier to get a resident status.....but again, I'm not 100% sure on that.

The golf industry there is good, but remember, with the exception of BC, it is really only 6 months long. So it would be a good idea to find somewhere that has a substantial tourist industry in the winter months (Ski resorts, or the big cities.....).

Banff Springs is good, but not great. It does have one of the greatest par 3s in the world, and some of the most incredible views, but its not exactly Shinnecock.....A little too easy for low markers with some WIDE fairways......

Speirsy11

AndyP
16th June 2004, 09:12 PM
Maybe bring Jaster around to give it a go too, wasn't he the previous title holder?

He likes to think he was. :wink: :P

Another interstate card (Yowani) sent to Nambour GC's handicapper to confuse him.
Off 13.0 now.

jaster
17th June 2004, 08:34 AM
Actually I have no designs on being this or that to anyone here, unlike you :roll:

990B Luva
17th June 2004, 03:13 PM
i have a friend, who isnt a member here, but is off +1.2 AUS he is a member of McLeod and holds the course record there at 63 (8 under) off the bat.ill post a link to his HCP too: http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4010704268

Speirsy11
17th June 2004, 03:16 PM
i have a friend, who isnt a member here, but is off +1.2 AUS he is a member of McLeod and holds the course record there at 63 (8 under) off the bat.ill post a link to his HCP too: http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4010704268

Now THAT is a player.....He'd hand it to me 9 times out of 10.....Man, I wish I had that many scores.....He must be under 25 and single....

Speirsy11

990B Luva
17th June 2004, 03:22 PM
hes 18, going to the states in november to play college golf and as far as i know is single, he uses a 983K, PT 13°, 690MB 2-W, VOKEY 52&56 and a proto SC putter, he has at least 4 more SCs too.

Jarro
17th June 2004, 03:41 PM
hes 18, going to the states in november to play college golf and as far as i know is single, he uses a 983K, PT 13°, 690MB 2-W, VOKEY 52&56 and a proto SC putter, he has at least 4 more SCs too.

.. and i think you're his bitch :shock: :lol:

only joking mate :wink:

Speirsy11
17th June 2004, 04:04 PM
Which school is going to? Thats good to hear...I think too many Aussies decide to turn pro too early instead of taking advantage of getting a free education like this kids has.....

Royal Adelaide and Glenlg were playing tough for the Aussie Am eh?

Wish him luck....

Speirsy11

990B Luva
17th June 2004, 04:05 PM
not sure what school, he has his sights set on the US Tour

AndyP
17th June 2004, 06:17 PM
Actually I have no designs on being this or that to anyone here, unlike you :roll:

huh? :-s

jaster
17th June 2004, 06:19 PM
You seem to be more interested in it than me, you brought it up ;)

AndyP
17th June 2004, 07:10 PM
You seem to be more interested in it than me, you brought it up ;)
I must subconsciously want a local at the top of our leaderboard. :wink:

Courty
21st June 2004, 05:28 PM
My all-time lowest, and, for the first time, A-Grade handicap: 10.3! :D

Jarro
21st June 2004, 05:33 PM

congrats mate :D

Onewood
21st June 2004, 05:34 PM

Now you can say.....when the ball bounces of that tree and into the middle of the fairway "A GRADE BOUNCE THAT ONE" :wink: :D

reg320
22nd June 2004, 06:21 PM
a shakey 6.1 at the moment - I can't work it out - 76 one day, 87 the next -what gives???

markTHEblake
23rd June 2004, 12:22 AM
If Speirsy is playing off 2 here when he was +1.3 under the USGA system I guess that would put me at around a 3-4 handicap under this system.

Its an interesting topic - which system is fairer. Now that golf link is available i have a couple of times calculated the best 10 of my last 20 and end up with almost the exact same handicap i have now.

I think rather its the slope rating system that impacts on the handicap difference more than the rest.

What we find here in OZ is that courses that are long with high ACR's seem to produce a larger number of Low handicappers. I suspect that this has something to do with High markers dragging the CCRs up, whereas a short course drags the CCR down.

Now i am also interested in what you thought about Gold Coast country club. I think that almost the entire back 9 provides quite a challenge (not to mention 8-9 as well).

goughy
23rd June 2004, 07:27 AM
If I average my best 10 scores from my last 20 games I'd be off 13 instead of 11. I spose where the aus system has helped me is I was off of a lower hc several years ago, and when I kind of stopped playing and practicing it has taken a long time to drop back. Then throw in a couple of good games and I'm back to where I was.

AndyP
23rd June 2004, 10:36 AM
My AGU handicap is 13.0

If I average the best 10 scores of my last 20, my h/cap would be 15.6. Significant difference.