PDA

View Full Version : AP2: fake or real?

Ferrins
14th September 2010, 05:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/9-Titleist-Clubs-3-9-Plus-Pitcher-and-56-Wedge-304664-/290475415949?pt=AU_Sport_Golf_Equipment&hash=item43a1af198d

Going to pick these up and pay for them on Thursday. I am seeking advice or links to build up enough knowledge to try and determine how legit these are.
Thank you in advance for any help with this matter.
Cheers Dave for the tip in Ebay bargains.

morgy
14th September 2010, 05:24 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/9-Titleist-Clubs-3-9-Plus-Pitcher-and-56-Wedge-304664-/290475415949?pt=AU_Sport_Golf_Equipment&hash=item43a1af198d

Going to pick these up and pay for them on Thursday. I am seeking advice or links to build up enough knowledge to try and determine how legit these are.
Thank you in advance for any help with this matter.
Cheers Dave for the tip in Ebay bargains.

Obviously impossible to tell from the photos. However, it is odd that they don't have a PW... This may indicate one of two things;

1. That they were purchased "per club" and not in a set, indicating local genuine sale.
2. The previous owner is a forgetful idiot....

The best thing to do would be to borrow a real iron off someone you know and take it along. Check things like consistent lines in the paint fill, quality of construction, weight etc...

Also, make sure you ask if they are legitimate. If he lies, then you buy them, you have serious recourse to take action.

My feeling.... price is too good to be true, but who knows.

davepuppies
14th September 2010, 05:27 PM
The seller is a pawn shop - not a golf store, sells all kinds of stuff.

There could be a matching PW, only one club had non matching grip that was blue

my gut feel was they are ok, but i guess time will tell.....

morgy
14th September 2010, 05:28 PM
The seller is a pawn shop - not a golf store, sells all kinds of stuff..

I meant by the first owner before they were pawned.

KristianJ
14th September 2010, 05:36 PM
Listing says 9 clubs (3-PW, 56*). I can't really identify 9 clubs in the pictures though...but that may well be simply due to the pics being as grainy as they are.

Plus I noted that the seller's listing conditions say that serial numbers are recorded - perhaps you could ask for it before Thursday and verify it with Titleist before the pick up. And according to the listing they're a Cash Converters, so I figure they'd have a reputation that would be at risk if they were found to be peddling knock offs.

Ferrins
14th September 2010, 05:50 PM
On close examination there are 9 clubs in the photo. listed as 3 to pw and s/w. The s/w is probably a vokey and has the multi compound grip.
I bought a set of mint TM tps for $80 from Cashies so who Knows. Cashies are where the stupid bargains can be found.

I was thinking of taking a legit AP2 with me, it's just getting my hand on one.

Ferrins
14th September 2010, 05:57 PM
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Cashies-Pawn__W0QQ_sidZ434073709?_nkw=golf&submit=Search

This is there other items for sale. The Scotty has heaps of photos and lists the serial number.

I'll give them a ring tomorrow and ask for the serial number.

virge666
14th September 2010, 07:00 PM
On close examination there are 9 clubs in the photo. listed as 3 to pw and s/w. The s/w is probably a vokey and has the multi compound grip.
I bought a set of mint TM tps for $80 from Cashies so who Knows. Cashies are where the stupid bargains can be found.

I was thinking of taking a legit AP2 with me, it's just getting my hand on one.

I have two sets here - as long as I get them back quickly... take one of these with ya !

Ferrins
14th September 2010, 07:03 PM
Bit hard when I'm in Brissie, thanks for the offer but I'll get one up here.

virge666
14th September 2010, 07:08 PM
Bugger...

3oneday
14th September 2010, 07:20 PM
Aren't yours all fake ?

Compare the 0 in the 710, that's a clear difference. The fake one is blurred whereas the real one is sharp.

davepuppies
14th September 2010, 07:29 PM
They wont be 710s will they?

live4golf
14th September 2010, 07:41 PM
I called them up before I left work and the lady had them with her. The shafts in the irons are smooth (read Project X) and the wedge is stepped. She said if they were proven to be fake a refund would be coning. They are selling them as genuine. For me the quickest way of confirming authenticity is the smell of the grip (very smelly means fake) and the stickers on the Project X shafts will be a lighter blue and just won't look right. (I don't see stickers on the shafts). You snagged them as I was clicking Buy Now :) - nice work.

Hope it works out for you, good pickup.

Ferrins
14th September 2010, 08:08 PM
(very smelly means fake)
So I've slept with a few fake women then

Ferrins
14th September 2010, 08:11 PM
I would take those Project X stickers off, if I bought them new.

davepuppies
14th September 2010, 08:22 PM
Seems ferrins owes me a beer if they turn out to be ridgy didge!

Ferrins
14th September 2010, 08:25 PM
I'll let you win at arm wrestling too.

davepuppies
14th September 2010, 09:02 PM
LOL smart arse!

to be fair i am forever in your debt for selling me the odyssey black 9 - we are still in love!

Ferrins
15th September 2010, 08:14 AM
This is from another Ebay listing. Should of got these, wouldn't need a putter.

You are bidding on a set of Titleist AP2 irons

They have had 3 rounds of 18 holes.

75, 71 and 72

They include a hole in one with the 9 iron.

Ferrins
15th September 2010, 08:19 AM
Titleist.com

Titleist Tour Velvet Rubber (round with logo underneath)

Is this right, logo underneath for stock clubs?

henno
15th September 2010, 08:20 AM
Yep. At least mine did.

BrisVegas
15th September 2010, 08:30 AM
They'd be real. And stolen.

Ferrins
15th September 2010, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I knew they were stolen.

Ferrins
15th September 2010, 12:55 PM
Got a 7 digit serial # from the 6 iron and registered it at Titleist. Comes with a Vokey SM 56-14

timah!
15th September 2010, 12:59 PM
Dibs on the vokey! :grin:

rabsss
15th September 2010, 01:29 PM
Anyone looked at their other listings
That 909F3 has to be a fake headcover.....
I would think that would mean there is a fake there

3oneday
15th September 2010, 02:37 PM
Got a 7 digit serial # from the 6 iron and registered it at Titleist. Comes with a Vokey SM 56-14

Callaway once had 800 clubs registered with the same serial number.

Just trying to help ;)

morgy
15th September 2010, 03:39 PM
The Super-Tri, Scotty and 909F3 all look fake IMHO. The platting on the Scotty is wrong and more faded than usual. The R9 is just a terrible fake... the lettering is warped. The 909F3, fake headcover and lettering is warped as well.

Hux
15th September 2010, 03:58 PM
That Scotty is as fake as they come. Totally wrong finish for a California putter.

BrisVegas
15th September 2010, 04:07 PM
sheesh you guys. Keep your noses out of my bag at the champs. I'll be reduced to tears if my lovely titleist crubs are fakes.

Ferrins
15th September 2010, 04:12 PM
Picked up the clubs and they look real and are pretty much mint. Had a hit with them and got the pro to look at them. If there fake then I don't care as they feel sweet as. The SW has a DG S200 shaft.

Captain Nemo
15th September 2010, 04:15 PM
You may have just scored the buy of the month!

PeteyD
15th September 2010, 04:17 PM
That'll take BV out. Everyone must comment on how fake they look!

BrisVegas
15th September 2010, 04:23 PM
That'll take BV out. Everyone must comment on how fake they look!

If my gear is fake then Tomson, perci, lucky, 3balls, jono, terrys and diggaboy are to blame. :lol:

davepuppies
15th September 2010, 06:02 PM
You may have just scored the buy of the month!

Spotters fee! LOL

hocko
15th September 2010, 06:15 PM
Titleist.com

Titleist Tour Velvet Rubber (round with logo underneath)

Is this right, logo underneath for stock clubs?

Yep...spot on.
I bought new from Titleist and had the logo underneath.
However, it seems not to matter as they look, feel and play like the real thing.........who cares who made 'em.
Great pickup.

Tomson
15th September 2010, 06:29 PM
If my gear is fake then Tomson, perci, lucky, 3balls, jono, terrys and diggaboy are to blame. :lol:

How did you tell?? ;)

Ferrins
15th September 2010, 06:47 PM
Most copies are made with stainless steel and are cast. These clubs are not stainless steel and have the usual markings of a forged head from bag clatter. The only thing suss is that thin rubber strip in the cavity has separated ever so slightly in some clubs. This could happen to a genuine club if left in the car for an extended period.

I will return these if fake, so is there some way of verifying the authenticity before Saturday.

hocko
15th September 2010, 07:25 PM
Most copies are made with stainless steel and are cast. These clubs are not stainless steel and have the usual markings of a forged head from bag clatter. The only thing suss is that thin rubber strip in the cavity has separated ever so slightly in some clubs. This could happen to a genuine club if left in the car for an extended period.

I will return these if fake, so is there some way of verifying the authenticity before Saturday.

This is only my opinion......

Pull a grip and see if there is a serial number on the shaft.
If not, then i would suggest they are fake.
There have been a whole lot of posts on this site and others about fake clubs, from what i have read it is really hard to tell if the head is fake as they are doing such a good job these days.
But the shafts never seem to be original, so if you have a rifle shaft then it should have a serial number under the grip?

Ferrins
15th September 2010, 07:36 PM
The pro at Nudgee said he thought it was a Rifle shaft

Ferrins
15th September 2010, 07:47 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120621298715

These are the grips that are on the clubs with no wraps underneath. I'm a bit worried that if I remove a grip to check for a shaft serial number then the Cashies warranty would be void.

Tomson
15th September 2010, 07:53 PM
fakes are usually .370 instead of .355 have you got a shaft guide plate or a set of verniers chris?

3oneday
15th September 2010, 08:06 PM
You could always blow the grip off, and blow it back on, doubt Cashies could tell.

Can you not find a phone number for Titleist and ring them ?

Better still, PM me the serial and I'll see what I can find out (if anything). I don't even know if Titleist confirm serials.

Ferrins
15th September 2010, 08:24 PM
Following is from Golfworx
Also amongst other things, what i notice the most about AP2 fakes is the Tungsten Sole is completely wrong on all fakes that i have seen...including this. The tungsten should go right up almost to the leading edge, on these and all other AP2 fakes i have see the tungsten sole stops at the edge of the number.

These irons past this test

hocko
15th September 2010, 08:50 PM
Like i said before...if you're happy with them and you hit them alright, then don't worry Ferrins.
Most of us have spent a lot more than a couple of hunge on clubs that don't fit or work..........Do you need a new driver? ;)

Ferrins
15th September 2010, 09:23 PM
I used the 7 iron on the range and hit my normal sequence of Draw,fade,punch,cut,hook & high shot. Got it right first go and club and impact felt sweet. I now enjoy fake breasts so why not golf clubs.

hocko
15th September 2010, 09:30 PM
Tungsten...Silicon....No difference....just enjoy the feel.

Ferrins
15th September 2010, 09:32 PM
I think who ever made these irons, might of had a hand in these too.

hocko
15th September 2010, 10:00 PM
It looks like her undies don't fit properly!

Ferrins
16th September 2010, 08:57 AM
Okay these irons are fake and there going back to Cashies. The aluminum plate gives it away with the wrong decal. 4 bars on the right instead of three.

3oneday
16th September 2010, 08:58 AM
Wow, even after the serial matched up ? Impressive.

Did you sleep last night doing all this investigation?

3oneday
16th September 2010, 08:59 AM
PS, the correct thing to do is to neg them, so no one else buys their shit.

Ferrins
16th September 2010, 09:12 AM
I phoned Cashies and I'll get a full refund.

Hux
16th September 2010, 06:50 PM
Okay these irons are fake and there going back to Cashies. The aluminum plate gives it away with the wrong decal. 4 bars on the right instead of three.

I was suss when I saw their pricing on Ebay. They wanted typical inflated Cash Convrtoer price for a Cally Squareway yet the late model 909's, AP2's etc were cheap cheap.

Very rarely do Cashies make a monumental stuff up on values...yep I have had some success with them ($90 for a Shimano Calcutta 400 loaded with braid) but generally they know the rrp and price accordingly.

davepuppies
16th September 2010, 07:02 PM
Bugger - sorry Ferrins.... at least you gave it a go!

3oneday
16th September 2010, 07:10 PM
Still reckon they should be negged, they were hoping for someone who clearly didn't know better !

Ferrins
16th September 2010, 07:20 PM
Get refund then contact Titleist.

Ferrins
16th September 2010, 07:22 PM
Bugger - sorry Ferrins.... at least you gave it a go!

No worries Dave you haven't complained once about the fake Odyssey putter I sold you.

davepuppies
16th September 2010, 07:39 PM
No worries Dave you haven't complained once about the fake Odyssey putter I sold you.

LOL! i will take plenty more fakes like that one!

Ferrins
18th September 2010, 08:48 PM
Returned the clubs today and got a refund.

timah!
18th September 2010, 08:59 PM
Did they say anything?

Bushka
20th September 2010, 08:28 AM
I thought i'd visit the local cashies just to check and see if they had any bargains going.

Have never seen such inflated pricing on products. The most up to date club was a Mizuno MX 500 driver that was 6/10 in condition with a stock rubbish shaft in it nearly $300.00

Was a very old set of Taylor made ladies irons in rubbish nick for $700.

Ferrins
20th September 2010, 08:33 AM
Not all stores are the same.

Webster
20th September 2010, 08:40 AM
PS, the correct thing to do is to neg them, so no one else buys their shit.

I think it would be poor form to neg them. As a seller they have met all their obligations and do not deserve a neg. There is no indication that they sold fakes intentionally and provided a refund when the buyer wasn't happy. Despite the clubs being possibly not genuine, their behaviour as a seller warrants a positive feedback in my opinion.

3oneday
20th September 2010, 09:24 AM
Agree 100%, it should read "sold me a fake, but hey, they gave me back the cash so they can sell it to someone with no brains instead"

Bushka
20th September 2010, 10:36 AM
I think now they know the product is fake the responsibility is on them. If they relist them again neg the feedback.

Webster
20th September 2010, 11:27 AM
No, the correct thing to do if they relist them is to contact ebay and advise that the item is fake (based on your knoweldge as the first buyer) and it will then get taken down.

Ferrins
20th September 2010, 06:08 PM
Let's keep an eye out for the relist