PDA

View Full Version : week commencing 9nd May 2005

Jono
11th May 2005, 04:16 PM
Bayview Wednesday Comp - Stableford

43 points ... 8)

Not having hit a ball in 10 days, I though I might hack it around, but found some form today. Good ball striking round. 11 out of 13 fairways hit, with the 2 misses only couple of meters in the rough. 13 out of 18 GIR. 33 putts. Hope I can do something similar at Macarthur Grange on Saturday.

Pinglauncher
12th May 2005, 07:59 AM
Way to Go Jono. I have not played Bayview but that is a good score and the stats look pretty solid.

Trung
12th May 2005, 10:53 AM
great score Doc, even i'm happy for ya... 8)

Jarro
12th May 2005, 11:40 AM
great score Doc, even i'm happy for ya...  8)

that's gotta hurt :P :lol:

Flowergirl
12th May 2005, 12:14 PM
First round of our Club Champs..........Played to my handicap - again - net 71 CCR 71. Played ok but so sick of not being able to make that break!!!
I'm third in the gross and third nett - two girls came in with nett 67's.

Our little club's lowest handicapper ( lady) is off 14 and she is leading by 10!!! :shock: She had a gross 81 nett 67 - not a bad effort!! So it looks like all the rest of us are playing to see who gets runner-up.

Jono
12th May 2005, 01:10 PM

New handicap 7.6 ... that's with duffed chips and everything ... :lol:

Not all time low yet, but getting close.

Will you still be happy for me when I overtake you? :wink:

Pinglauncher
12th May 2005, 01:16 PM
First round of our Club Champs..........Played to my handicap - again - net 71 CCR 71. Played ok but so sick of not being able to make that break!!!

Our little club's lowest handicapper ( lady) is off 14 and she is leading by 10!!! :shock: She had a gross 81 nett 67 - not a bad effort!! So it looks like all the rest of us are playing to see who gets runner-up.

Stay confident FG. Golf is a funny game and if you can pick up a few shots on her over the next 2 rounds (assuming it is 4 rounds) the pressure may tell. Just keep telling yourself you can WIN IT :) :)

Trung
12th May 2005, 01:19 PM

New handicap 7.6 ... that's with duffed chips and everything ...  :lol:

Not all time low yet, but getting close.

Will you still be happy for me when I overtake you?  :wink:

So, your down to 8 and I'm still giving you 2 full shots. Explain that Doc. :wink:

Trung
12th May 2005, 01:26 PM

that's gotta hurt  :P  :lol:

not at all mate :roll:

for someone that can drive a ball 50m past me from the tee.... and I still have to give him 2 shots. It's about bloody time the Doc get down to a more respectable level. :wink:

Flowergirl
12th May 2005, 02:46 PM

Stay confident FG. Golf is a funny game and if you can pick up a few shots on her over the next 2 rounds (assuming it is 4 rounds) the pressure may tell. Just keep telling yourself you can WIN IT  :)  :)

Thanks for the pep talk Pinglauncer - but the champs are only over three weeks - so I'm rooted. :D But yep - you are right golf is a funny game. I'll be in there trying - and hoping that the leader has a bad one. She won't though - she's an amazing girl - she is just so casual and breezy about her game. A great chick too - so I don't really want her to have a bad game. As long as I can break my handicap over the next two rounds I'll be happy. :D

Jono
12th May 2005, 04:18 PM
FG, good luck for the rest of the club champs ... Just play one shot at a time and enjoy the experience. I find that when I think about winning, or try too hard, it's more often than not going to be a mediocre round. Let it happen ... You can't control what the leader does, but you can control what you do ...

There's my bit of wisdom for the day ... :wink:

Jono
12th May 2005, 04:21 PM
So, your down to 8 and I'm still giving you 2 full shots. Explain that Doc.  :wink:

7.6 - 6.2 = 1.4

It's only a matter of time before I catch up ... 8)

McMw
12th May 2005, 04:36 PM
maybe u guys should adopt the USGA standard and play 3/4s of the stroke difference...

besides Jono, 1.4 is only 1 stroke... not 2... :wink:

McMw
13th May 2005, 09:40 AM
getting worse with each day this week....

35 tuesday - 36 wednesday - 41 thursday....
wonder what's it gonna be today, tomorrow and comp sunday... :roll:

Trung
14th May 2005, 11:10 AM
78 today (1 down, Par Event)

Grunt
14th May 2005, 01:59 PM
Played yesterday and today at Macarthur Grange

Yesterday

33 points

Today

90 gross
66 nett
plus 2 par event

game is starting to improve :lol: and hopefully will the handicap

jimandr
14th May 2005, 03:50 PM
With other OzGolfers at Macarthur Grange.

1 down in the dreaded par event. Would have been 36 stableford, as I had a birdie on a hole I received a shot on, for no real reward.

6 of 12 fairways
8 of 18 GIR
33 putts, 3 birdies, 3 three-putts
Up and down 2 of 5
Sand Saves 2 of 4.

Played a very patchy round. Hit the ball well early, but had some bad luck and ordinary chipping and putting, then alternated poor shots and very good ones.

No doubt about the highlight of the round: at the short, downhill, downwind par 5 14th I hit a draw on the perfect line to get all the good bounces, which left me a 7-iron into the green for the second shot. I never do things like that on normal courses. And I hit the green for a two putt birdie :)

Davemason
14th May 2005, 04:00 PM
Played my home course Coral Cove in 30 knot winds.
But I did ok with a 71 nett or 1 under my Hcap. Not to sure how I went but I was the club house leader when I left.

Highlight of the round would be a 300m drive on the par 5 6th(with the wind) just on for 2 but walked of with a par bloody 3 puts

Courty
14th May 2005, 04:35 PM
Alrighty, I have finally broken the back of my indifferent-at-best form. I played 45 holes in the last 2 days. 27 of those were today for a combined score of +3. I played the front 9 at Half Moon Bay this morning with some mates and shot 35 (+1) with 2 birdies, and then played in the comp at Cairns this afternoon & shot 74 (+2) for 42pts including 5 birdies. I only hit 7 fairways, but many of those missed were only just off. I hit 11 greens and put 3 in from off the green. I also had 26 putts (even with 2 triples). Depending on the course rating, I may be at another new all-time low handicap. :shock:

mike
14th May 2005, 08:49 PM
Good scores there Courty.

Didja win ?

Must be an easy course down there compared to up here :wink:

And 45 holes in 2 days. :shock:

Courty
14th May 2005, 10:48 PM

Didja win ?

And 45 holes in 2 days.  :shock:

Don't know if I won yet, I didn't wait for presentations...

McMw
14th May 2005, 11:49 PM
played 18 this morning at 6.30.... :D
tried a different swing, which I was working on friday evening at the range...

seems to be working okay....swing feels a lot more under control, and defn don't feel like I'm overswinging on both the backswing and follow thru...

in fact...I think it's helping me in such a way that I'm swinging to the target, instead of cutting across the ball...prob explains why I was pushing my iron shots towards the end of the round... :lol:

putting remains a mystery with 33 today...but did hit a lot of medium range putts very good...just broke either way or missed towards the end...

comp tourney tomorrow...so looking forward to a decent score... :D

Courty
15th May 2005, 09:16 AM

Didja win ?

And 45 holes in 2 days.  :shock:

Don't know if I won yet, I didn't wait for presentations...

Dad rang to say that I did win yesterday. The course rating was up there at 72, so I lost 1.2 strokes off my handicap to get to ANOTHER NEW ALL-TIME LOWEST HANDICAP of 6.7 :shock: :smt104 :smt103 :smt119 :smt120

Trung
15th May 2005, 10:45 AM
Congrats Courty :smt023

Had 37 points myself today \:D/

Bruce
15th May 2005, 05:55 PM
Just back from the Bouverie Social Golf Club annual trip and I am knackered.

Thursday - Ambrose at Finley GC. My team had a 68 net 54.7 for the win. I won one of the long drives.

Friday - Stroke at Tocumwal Captain's Course. 94 net 68 to win B Grade :D My first win of any kind. 39 putts is an issue, but another long drive mark was won.

Saturday - Stroke at Tocumwal President's Course. 92 net 66. 40 putts and a 9!! :oops: which I am partly writing off due to the "fatigue" that was starting to set in. But obviously need to keep working on the flat stick.

Really started to feel like things are coming together. I hope I can keep it up.

AndyP
15th May 2005, 06:32 PM
15/05/05, Keperra GC (West), Stroke

Played at Keperra today with A-Lo (hmmmm, should I list this round in the 1st tee area :roll:).
Started poorly after rocking up just before tee off time. Had a few disaster holes on the way, but came home strong with +3 in the last 8 holes.

Jury is still out on my new putting technique. Some of the putts I missed were laughable. But by the end of the round, I seemed to be stroking the ball pretty well off the putter. I think I just have to develop some trust in it, and that's going to have to happen on the course, coz I don't practice.

Not too happy with how I played, but take away a couple of very poor shots, which cost me several more, some bad breaks, and a few shocker putts, and the score would look a hell of a lot better.

10/13 effective T-shots.
5/18 GIR.
7/11 U&D.
32 putts.
--------------------------------
8 pars.
6 bogeys.
1 double.
3 others.
48-42-90 nett 77 (par 35-36-71)

########################

I don't think A-Lo usually reports on his scores, so I'll give a few comments.

54-46-100 nett 73

It appears that his game is getting there, and there is plenty he can take from today.
He played plenty of good shots, which included the shot of the day.
He hit a beautiful T-shot on the 8th (about 130m). Divot mark about 1m in front of the pin, and the ball ended up a few metres past. Putt just slid by, but it was an easy par.
Backed it up with a couple of great shots on the next hole too.
He was looking like a golfer for the last few holes. ;)

Score could have been significantly better. He had +10 in two holes on the front nine.
And he really costs himself some shots with his putting. I don't know if the feel for putting is something that you develop after playing golf for quite a while, but he seems to read greens very poorly, which on the longer putts can leave him a good distance from the hole. Even the short putts aren't a sure thing.
Could possibly be setting up on the wrong line too. :smt102

Now Andy, I know you are sick of people telling you to be working on your short game. But I'd just like you to get a good base to work off for putting. I'm not asking you to spend lots of time at the range on the green, coz I know you won't. But you need to have the confidence to knock the shorter ones in, and the longer ones closer.
Thanks for the day.

Flowergirl
15th May 2005, 07:11 PM
Well done to all you guys..................some great results there!!!! Played two lots of nine holes over the weekend..........and yes G69 - I'll report on anything I want :wink:
. First game I rocked up for a nine holes by myself but was invited to play with "The McCrae Mens Probus Social Golf Group". I won the lowest gross - 43- lowest nett- 33.....nearest to the pin on the 3rd and the 6th and the longest drive!!!!! Somehow I don't think they'll invite me to play again!!!
By the way - I didn't accept any of the prizes....wouldn't have seemed fair.
Had an ordinairy 49 today. Started so bad - but finished ok.

McMw
15th May 2005, 08:04 PM
had 33pts today...very poor iron shots today...had one OOB, and a 3putt GIR on the 17th...so those 3pts were wasted there...

other wasted points from missing makeable putts/chipping/bunker play...

drove okay...except for 3 holes...just need to spend more time on the chipping/putting this week I think, in preparation for next week's comp... :roll:

Courty
15th May 2005, 08:10 PM
I won the lowest gross - 43- lowest nett- 33.....nearest to the pin on the 3rd and the 6th and the longest drive!!!!!

Excellent work, FG. I'll bet they were spewing they were beaten by a woman too. :twisted:

shavey
18th May 2005, 09:45 PM
Kicked everybodies arse in the Tuesday Club at Lakelands. Didn't really do anything exciting for the day, a chip in on my last (8th) and 25 putts helped. Had a double and lost a ball for a 75 which was a little suprising.

And I was the only person that backed myself so I took home the kitty!

Geez you have to love work sometime... ;)

Flowergirl
19th May 2005, 09:12 AM
Great work Shavey............well done and congratulations :D

Wish I could report a similar success story - but alas no. :(
Second round club champs
Front nine - 47 ( includes a 7 :shock: on a par three)
Back nine-49 ( one four putt - oh no- Dr. Bob I want my money back :wink: )
96 - net 76 :oops:
CCR was 69 so out .1
Oh well - theres always next week.
My friend Libby who was leading by 10 after the 1st round continued her great from again with a net 68 and now lead the gross by 16. One round to go.
My big trouble still is around the greens............I know - practise practise :D