PDA

View Full Version : Willow's Swing

David Williams
7th September 2010, 09:48 PM
Taken a number of months ago when the weather was a touch warmer here in Melbourne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqwS9BUuEY4

adlo
7th September 2010, 11:15 PM
Pure

Yossarian
7th September 2010, 11:19 PM
Come to perth?

Love that tempo!

LarryLong
7th September 2010, 11:27 PM
The swing almost makes up for the white belt. :)

Scottt
8th September 2010, 04:01 AM
Step away from the donuts!

PS - Nice swing.

Jarro
8th September 2010, 05:17 AM
Nice tempo for sure 8)

sms316
8th September 2010, 06:59 AM
Must have been a heat wave for you to be wearing shorts in Victoria.

PeteyD
8th September 2010, 07:00 AM
It was one of the 12 days of summer.

razaar
8th September 2010, 07:16 AM
Stretch your upper left side at address a bit more for better connection. Breathe in on your whole left rib cage and breathe out on your right side to get the feeling.

Just kidding!

Should be on tour.

Eag's
8th September 2010, 08:55 AM
Now that is what you call a relaxed and balanced swing.

idgolfguy
8th September 2010, 09:27 AM
I can swing like that too, but the ball goes half the distance.

Yossarian
8th September 2010, 10:34 AM
X stiff shafts will do that.

Johnny Canuck
8th September 2010, 10:57 AM
great call yoss.

nice swing willow. i thought swings weren't supposed to be that smooth.

nice comment scottt.

idgolfguy
8th September 2010, 11:27 AM
X stiff shafts will do that.

That is likely to be true, still does not explain why, with an 18inch height differential between us, I still hit the ball longer than you do.

Yossarian
8th September 2010, 11:31 AM
With driver you do sometimes. I've caught you in the irons, and my hybrid goes further when I top than your two iron does! :)

Johnny Canuck
8th September 2010, 11:33 AM
pygmy power.

and the fact that you probably weigh close to double yoss' 47kgs.

idgolfguy
8th September 2010, 11:43 AM
It's the lag of my belly catching up with the rest of me on the downswing.

Bruce
8th September 2010, 11:53 AM
I reckon there are a few kilos gone since that video was shot.

Go low at Barham mate.

David Williams
9th September 2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks all for the comments... Scottttt, I'll step away from the donuts when you step away from the keyboard ;)

I practiced for 3 hours yesterday afternoon and the head pro had a quick look at my swing last night as I hit it terrible last week.

I had a little too much lateral movement in my lower half causing block fades. I think this has come from tightness in my left hamstring and lower back. Massage today with some stretching to release it. As soon as I stabilised my legs and felt like I'm swinging more in a barrel instead of driving my legs through so much, I started striping it again. I picked up the 10 - 15 metres I'd lost off my drives after I started releasing the club properly.

Sydney Hacker
9th September 2010, 08:35 AM
It must be nice to understand your swing to an extent that a couple of quick check-ups starts to immediatly improve things. Us mere mortals tend to search for something for weeks/months before stumbling on the answer and not really understanding how or why things have improved !

razaar
9th September 2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks all for the comments... Scottttt, I'll step away from the donuts when you step away from the keyboard ;)

I practiced for 3 hours yesterday afternoon and the head pro had a quick look at my swing last night as I hit it terrible last week.

I had a little too much lateral movement in my lower half causing block fades. I think this has come from tightness in my left hamstring and lower back. Massage today with some stretching to release it. As soon as I stabilised my legs and felt like I'm swinging more in a barrel instead of driving my legs through so much, I started striping it again. I picked up the 10 - 15 metres I'd lost off my drives after I started releasing the club properly.

David
Feel free to post your swing here when it is a bit off, we'll fix you. But we need all the info about tightness, sex life, diet etc to get it right.:lol:

David Williams
9th September 2010, 08:50 AM
SH... I still need to see it or have another trained eye to see what I am doing wrong. I regularly video my swing but in this instance the head pro wandered down to the range.

As you can see my swing is fairly simple and smooth... it's easier to see what the problems might be because they stand out. If the ball is blocking then the path and face is too far right, if I am slicing then my clubface is open to my path... Once we know what is happening we can work out what is causing it to happen.

To steal a phrase off someone else on here, when golfers swing looks like an octopus falling out of a tree, it is more a case of trying to get them to find some tempo first and then we can try and implement some simplifications to the swing.

Most of the time however, just by swinging easier, with better tempo and rhythm will allow even the wildest swing to make more consistent contact with the ball. Your swing changes little between a good shot and a bad shot... its your timing that is different.

Sydney Hacker
9th September 2010, 08:54 AM
Timing is an amazing thing, most of the time when my swing has gone to the doghouse it is because my backswing has become too fast and I pull the club all over the place trying to come back down. If I slow down my backswing the transition becomes a lot easier.

Of course there is also 1,000 other things wrong with my swing but that is a tale for another day ! I would just like to get to the stage where you don't need to hope you are having a great ball striking day or depending on the short game to get you out of the s**t.

PeteyD
9th September 2010, 12:03 PM
I am quite fond of my octopus.

Webster
9th September 2010, 12:09 PM
Almost as good as my swing Willow.

Lucasto23
9th September 2010, 01:16 PM
oh so so so smooth, thanks for the barrel reference just reminded me of something :)

David Williams
9th September 2010, 01:28 PM
Almost as good as my swing Willow.
There is a truth to the rumor that you are my swing model Jack... I often get asked if I model my swing on Jack, being so good and all.

I reply "There is no better person to model not only one's swing on, but one's life!"

timah!
9th September 2010, 06:33 PM
Nice swing David.

Is it a conscious thing to press your hands forward as a first movement on your irons, rather than maintaining your position the same as your driver?

Courty
9th September 2010, 09:05 PM
To steal a phrase off someone else on here, when golfers swing looks like an octopus falling out of a tree, it is more a case of trying to get them to find some tempo first and then we can try and implement some simplifications to the swing.

You need to talk to Haysey. ;)

haysey
9th September 2010, 09:11 PM
You need to talk to Haysey. ;)

I dunno about that. Willow can you help someone who looks like they're trying to chop down the tree the octopus just fell out of?:mrgreen:

Courty
9th September 2010, 09:12 PM
:lol:

Outcast
9th September 2010, 09:25 PM
I dunno about that. Willow can you help someone who looks like they're trying to chop down the tree the octopus just fell out of?:mrgreen:

I wouldn't describe Courty's swing quite like that....

haysey
9th September 2010, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't describe Courty's swing quite like that....

:-s

Outcast
9th September 2010, 09:44 PM
Oh, sorry were you describing your swing....

In that case you were far, far too kind to yourself:mrgreen:

David Williams
9th September 2010, 10:16 PM
Nice swing David.

Is it a conscious thing to press your hands forward as a first movement on your irons, rather than maintaining your position the same as your driver?
Nothing I do is conscious Timah... I just happens on autopilot. That is why I practice... to make everything just a part of the routine so I don't have to think while trying to swing.

I built it into my swing to help feel like I'm going to compress the ball and lead with my hands and not the clubhead. No need with driver as I feel the hands are where they need to be at impact when I address the ball.

timah!
9th September 2010, 10:25 PM
Cheers David,

By conscious, I meant was it something that you set out to do, which it seems you did.
Not being the most technical of golfers, i'm assuming you've done that to promote better contact, trying to minimise 'thin' shots if the clubhead were leading?

Nothing I do is conscious Timah... I just happens on autopilot. That is why I practice... to make everything just a part of the routine so I don't have to think while trying to swing.

I built it into my swing to help feel like I'm going to compress the ball and lead with my hands and not the clubhead. No need with driver as I feel the hands are where they need to be at impact when I address the ball.

David Williams
9th September 2010, 10:38 PM
Correct... it is to promote the feeling of the hands leading through impact to compress the ball better. A mini preview impact before I swing if you will.

timah!
9th September 2010, 10:53 PM
Other than the obvious benefits of contact, do you find it gives you a better ball flight? Height, penetration etc...
And do you use the same movement for say a 3iron?

David Williams
10th September 2010, 08:05 AM
Each club is designed to be hit with the hands ahead of the clubhead at impact with the exception of driver. The more loft the club has then the further forwards the hands should be at impact.

I have no idea if I have any forward press with the longer clubs as I said it's all automatic... I'd have to film it and look. The longer clubs however are positioned further forwards in the stance and don't require my hands to be as far in front of the clubhead so I doubt I have as much forward press with the longer clubs as I do with the shorter clubs.

I trained to preview impact on the practice fairway and then swing, so now it is a little forward press to get the feeling like I'm going to compress it. Trajectory will be governed by how much you are lofting or delofting the club. The more you deloft it the more penetrating flight you will get. The typical amateur adds loft to their irons causing high ball flights, less spin and a loss of distance. The typical pro will deloft their irons a little which promotes a more penetrating ball flights, more spin and greater distance.

Timah, I do not live by rules which says my students must do anything in their swing that I say. There is no ONE way or MY way. I teach my students how golf works ie golf science. We then figure out how they are going to apply the correct science to their swing to make it work. Play golf your way BUT be applying the correct science when you do so.

So should you forward press your hands with your irons at address? It can't really hurt but as long as it promotes the correct impact on the ball otherwise its a waste of time. Only do something if there is a reason for doing it, not just because someone told you to or you read it on the interwebs and thought you'd give it a shot :)

MegaWatty
10th September 2010, 09:43 AM
Bit of TGM in there Willow?

David Williams
10th September 2010, 09:47 AM
Just a bit of Golf in there Mega ;)

MegaWatty
10th September 2010, 09:51 AM
I've been taught some TGM basics from someone you know and one of the first things I was taught was an impact fix and forward press. Has helped my game no end.

My brain sucks though. ;)

sms316
10th September 2010, 09:54 AM
Your putter doesn't seem to fit in the bag properly. :-s

And what's with the Piranha rubbish? Is the game so easy you need to use niche gear to give you a challenge?

David Williams
10th September 2010, 08:47 PM
What makes you say Piranha is rubbish SMS? How many Piranha clubs have you owned to form this opinion?

They're some of the best stuff I've ever used.

MegaWatty
10th September 2010, 08:50 PM
I think you just gave him the bite that he was after. ;)

razaar
10th September 2010, 10:56 PM
Would I be incorrect in saying that Willow's swing is a right handed version of SMS's swing? Swing twins, ying and yang.;)

timah!
10th September 2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks David. I know that all in all I need to get a lesson.
I know that my stock shot is a high fade, which is especially noticeable on my irons. I seem to have a good swing for my metals, and even though I hit my irons well, it needs some tweaking. I'd be too afraid that pressing my hands forward at address would make it worse at impact.
I guess time back in the game will help, and a camera on the range might be useful also.

David Williams
31st March 2011, 08:25 PM
Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd post these in here... a couple of video's of me messing around trying to hit the ball as high and as short as possible the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHMFE9FzG_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR4_XH9zBHc

sms316
31st March 2011, 08:29 PM
Shit... Dennis can do that and didn't even need to practice.

David Williams
31st March 2011, 09:17 PM
SMS a lot can be learned from the Dennis Lob. Don't under estimate it's usefullness

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1296/dennisfreshairswing.gif

Yossarian
31st March 2011, 09:41 PM
Show off.

MegaWatty
31st March 2011, 10:12 PM
SMS a lot can be learned from the Dennis Lob. Don't under estimate it's usefullness

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1296/dennisfreshairswing.gif

I can't stop watching this. Is this SMS' mate?

mike
31st March 2011, 11:41 PM
Willow, the ball didn't even make the green.

I would've moved the bag first.

Yossarian
31st March 2011, 11:47 PM
Actually is dennis wearing tracksuit pants? Only at Southern.

David Williams
1st April 2011, 09:27 AM
Willow, the ball didn't even make the green.

I would've moved the bag first.
It's hard to find a good caddy these days :D

mike
3rd April 2011, 10:51 PM
Very nice flop btw.

I remember a few years ago seeing Tiger doing something similar but he had Earl standing there instead of a golf bag. I wonder how many times the old man copped it in the nads.

razaar
4th April 2011, 03:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OatuBMMgOKE
This is impressive.

David Williams
22nd May 2011, 07:54 AM
If I have a volunteer... I now have a 62* lob wedge to mess around with!! ;)

hocko
22nd May 2011, 10:36 AM
Good to see the practice fairway at Beacon Hills hasn't changed in 20 years Dave.
You mentioned the head coach gave you some pointers, who is this man?

Daves
22nd May 2011, 10:37 AM
Nice job on the articles in Inside Golf Willow, the May one is a cracker.

oncewasagolfer
22nd May 2011, 11:11 AM
Nice Willow! I used to muck around trying to hit the ball over higher and higher objects when I was younger got pretty good at it. We should have a flop off one day:)

hocko
22nd May 2011, 11:12 AM
Nice Willow! I used to muck around trying to hit the ball over higher and higher objects when I was younger got pretty good at it. We should have a flop off one day:)
You guys are obviuosly not on those "blue" pills are you!

David Williams
22nd May 2011, 03:49 PM
Hocko, The practice fairway now has one big flat tee and not the stepped tee as you probably remember it. Hasn't been open long and won't be in it's prime until the end of the year but it's pretty good now. Mark Griffin (the head pro) had a quick look at my swing and pointed something out for one of those original swings...

Daves, Thanks mate... I am working on a couple more for the next few issues as well. Glad you like them

Oncewasagolfer, sounds like a "who's is bigger than who's" contest if we're comparing flops!! :D

oncewasagolfer
22nd May 2011, 05:14 PM
Oncewasagolfer, sounds like a "who's is bigger than who's" contest if we're comparing flops!! :D
Yeah after I posted I thought that it sounded a little gay...anyway:)