PDA

View Full Version : Making A Clone Set

McMw
7th September 2010, 06:06 PM
Question for those in the know, the clubfitters, or even those who've done it before... :)

Could you make 2 different type iron sets have the same specifications? *Vague I Know*

Let's say sitting in the Red Corner is Set A, and you know the specs of the club (ie loft)...stiff flex shaft is stiff flex shaft, don't matter. Your run of the mill type mid-size irons. Cast irons.

In the Blue Corner is Set B, and these would be your player's type cavity back irons. Also Cast Irons. And the lofts are different (weaker lofts).

Question is, is it possible to (1) get Set B to be "fitted" to Set A Specifications? (2) would the results be similar in terms of distance? (3) more importantly it is wise (or just plain stupid?

TourFit
7th September 2010, 06:41 PM
OK...interesting question. Answer is YES and NO.

1) Yes, it is possible to get Set B to be "fitted" to Set A's specifications (shaft type, flex, grip, grip size, swingweight, loft, lie etc)...the question is how many different specs you want to match up.

2) The results will vary, from person to person and from the head/shaft combo of each set. If the shafts are the same, then the differences in flight and distance will be down to (largely) the differences in the playability of the heads (forgiveness, CoG, MOI etc etc). If the shafts are different too, then you have BOTH affecting the flight and distance. I find that unless the lofts have been altered more than say 2-3* then the 'distance' issues will be more due to the individual - you yourself are the biggest limiting factor on how far you'll hit it.

3) It is not necessarily wise or stupid. You just need to understand that the different sets will feel different. And have different levels of playability (perhaps), and 'may' go different distances (perhaps). And do you necessarily WANT them to be as close as possible...after all, I would assume you'd want them to be slightly different?

Take for example...a cast, forgiving, wide soled cavity iron and put a Dynamic Gold R300 in it (for arguments sake). Now put a Dynamic Gold R300 in a muscleback blade. Even if the two lofts were the same (and length, swingweight, grip etc) they would NOT hit the ball the same height or trajectory, and the blade would be LESS forgiving on an off centre hit (that is the nature of the blade/cavity argument). But if you take the LESS forgiving head and put a more forgiving shaft in it what happens then?

vman
7th September 2010, 06:51 PM
McMw, I take it that you are looking to have two sets of irons which are exactly the same in every aspect except for head 'type'. If that is what you are asking, then YES you can.

You just need to use the same shafts and trim them to the same frequency and length; weight each component the same; and bend the heads to the same loft and lie angle.

Both sets should play fairly similarly except the 'players' irons will tend to give a lower launch and higher spin rate than the 'midsize' irons. And, of course, the 'players' clubs will be less forgiving but have greater playability.

sms316
7th September 2010, 07:25 PM
Stop supporting the copycat industry.